The Barton
Mickyj
Headfan
14 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

New Coach 2024 - Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: New Coach 2024 - Suggestions

Post by The Barton Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:08 am

Daniel Thomas of Maughan Thiem fame is part of the panel to select the new coach.
He has asked that the club advertise Australia wide which wasn't going to be the approach initially. I believe we have earmarked two coaches already, no idea who they are though. Heard Camporeale on the wireless last week and he said he has no interest in coaching as his boys are coming through the ranks at Genelg and he wants to be part of that. Pity, he has a good footy brain.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:00 pm

What has Justin Cicolella been doing in footy since he was Runner for us a few years ago? Involved in the SANFL Country side coaching? I see he was mentioned as one of Sheedy's close mates in the Milbank podcast. Often see him at the Eagles games watching. Doesn't come more heart and soul Eagles than Cica and if half of the footy smarts he had as a player translate to coaching, he'd have to be a candidate.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:25 am

Attended the guided tour of the new changerooms last night. Well done to new CEO Dave Couzner in getting members involved. Will be an impressive facility when complete and bring us into the modern footy world.
Encouraging news in that almost all players they wanted to re-sign have in fact signed on for 2024. These include the 3 already announced plus headline acts like Luke Thomson, Riley Knight, James Rowe. Goldy still 50/50 but Dave is confident he can get him over the line for one more year. Look out for a club email in the next couple of weeks re re-signings. Lots of applications for the senior coaching position which closes on 27/8 "some of who shouldn't have applied" but plenty of quality applicants. Dave Couzner has certainly hit the ground running and the club is in good hands.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:14 am

The Barton wrote:Attended the guided tour of the new changerooms last night. Well done to new CEO Dave Couzner in getting members involved. Will be an impressive facility when complete and bring us into the modern footy world.
Encouraging news in that almost all players they wanted to re-sign have in fact signed on for 2024. These include the 3 already announced plus headline acts like Luke Thomson, Riley Knight, James Rowe. Goldy still 50/50 but Dave is confident he can get him over the line for one more year. Look out for a club email in the next couple of weeks re re-signings. Lots of applications for the senior coaching position which closes on 27/8 "some of who shouldn't have applied" but plenty of quality applicants. Dave Couzner has certainly hit the ground running and the club is in good hands.
Thanks Barton would’ve gone if I’d known oh well
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:25 am

The Barton wrote:Attended the guided tour of the new changerooms last night. Well done to new CEO Dave Couzner in getting members involved. Will be an impressive facility when complete and bring us into the modern footy world.

Thanks for the update Barton. Hopefully the new changerooms help to attract some recruits.

Excellent news about Thomson, Knight and Rowe.

Thomson still playing decent footy and will be important to 'bridge the gap' with whoever they earmark as the club's next long term full back who I cannot imagine is currently a member of the Eagles' squad given.

Knight has had a rotten year injury-wise and was never really able to get going. If D'Aloia can further improve next year and/or if Hardie returns and we are able to recruit someone from a country league who can contribute to the midfield then along with Sinor & Rowe our midfield contingent will look in reasonable shape.

Also hope Goldy goes around again. Once more, a very important player and one of the few in our team who can deliver laser-like passes.

Would be fascinating to be able to see the full list of candidates who have applied for the position. Like I've said before, with the history of our club making finals and the amount of draftees who get selected from our club it would have to be seen as a plum job for aspiring AFL coaches (not sure whether that is a good thing!!).

Hopefully we finish the season strong and get some wins for Sheedy. Let's appoint an enthusiastic new coach with new ideas, patch up our injured players, prune the dead wood from the playing squad, recruit some talls and hit the pre-season with optimism. I already can't wait for Round 1 in 2024!!
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:43 am

Agree Titan.
The club has been extremely well managed for a number of years now but a fresh set of eyes from the likes of Couzner and a new coach might be what we need after the highs of 2020 and 21. I still would have liked Sheedy there a bit longer though to develop the kids further but now knowing how burnt out he is maybe the time is right. Powelly did a fantastic job as CEO but probably wasn't the world's best communicator and I've already noticed a change in approach with Couzner.
The best time to coach a group is the first two years when the coach is fresh and the players out to impress. We should all be encouraged about the speed of getting players signed up for '24.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Reddeer Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:05 pm

Thanks for your report Barton. Sounds positive for the club and David Couzner is a good manager
Reddeer

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:05 pm

Thanks The Barton - great info. Also Titan2 - very astute observations.
You guys are awesome. Keep up the good work. Go you Eags!
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:21 pm

It’ll be nice for the players to have new change rooms, but won’t improve the quality of footy until we upgrade our cow paddock of an oval.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:44 pm

Where was that effort/application/desire/ luck all season? Only game I chose to miss!!! I must be the jinx.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:15 pm

Aerie wrote:It’ll be nice for the players to have new change rooms, but won’t improve the quality of footy until we upgrade our cow paddock of an oval.

Think the main issue is technically it isn't ours to upgrade, we only have access from beginning of April until the end of September. Any upgrade at this stage would need the council on board and also the cricket club as any major work would impact them in a big way although obviously they would benefit in the long run.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:40 pm

Ok on Facebook someone is suggesting Sam Jacobs and supposedly he will bring some tall players . And the person said jacobs would get on with the players 
I never thought of sauce we will learn soon enough I guess
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:51 pm

I guess you dont argue with a 200+cm guy
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:54 pm

whybother wrote:I guess you dont argue with a 200+cm guy
 Very good whybother
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:12 pm

Wonder if Richard Douglas might apply. Has AFL and SANFL experience and is currently a senior assistant with Glenelg and also involved with their Women's program
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:12 pm

Mickyj wrote:Ok on Facebook someone is suggesting Sam Jacobs and supposedly he will bring some tall players . And the person said jacobs would get on with the players 
I never thought of sauce we will learn soon enough I guess

Could this guy be our next coach?    Pedigree is impeccable.
Still playing at 35 for Flagstaff Hill Falcons in the Southern Football League. Currently has 50 goals (7 last Saturday) in 17 games.
LinkedIn shows he has completed Level 2 Coaching and that he “liked” the WWTFC Coach Position advert.   Remember we previously had a ruckman as coach - Mark Mickan! I remember he was doing well when he was lured to the Crows.
How about Sauce as a 36yo playing coach - full forward and assisting in ruck occasionally?
More realistically as a non-playing coach?New Coach 2024 - Suggestions - Page 2 93224910
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:11 am

Yes, Sam could certainly be in the mix.
I've done a bit of my own research and my tip is Heath Younie.
He ticks many if not all the boxes required having a strong playing career in the SANFL, AFL experience with the Crows and North Melbourne (was the inaugural Crows SANFL Coach for a few years) and is now involved with the SANFL as Pathways Coach & Player Developer (U16's and U18's). Coaching a strong club like the Eagles would certainly have appeal to a career football person like Younie. That's assuming he applies. Let's wait and see.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:11 am

The Barton wrote:Yes, Sam could certainly be in the mix.
I've done a bit of my own research and my tip is Heath Younie.
He ticks many if not all the boxes required having a strong playing career in the SANFL, AFL experience with the Crows and North Melbourne (was the inaugural Crows SANFL Coach for a few years) and is now involved with the SANFL as Pathways Coach & Player Developer (U16's and U18's). Coaching a strong club like the Eagles would certainly have appeal to a career football person like Younie. That's assuming he applies. Let's wait and see.

I had a quick word with someone tied up with the crows ( yes that must be uncomfortable ) and they’ve said to me they don’t think it will be Sam he’s involved with the crows .
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:23 pm

Ok CEO email says they’ve selected the coaching panel to choose the new coach
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:42 pm

Mickyj wrote:Ok CEO email says they’ve selected the coaching panel to choose the new coach

and a fair panel it is too.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:46 pm

Columbo wrote:
Mickyj wrote:Ok CEO email says they’ve selected the coaching panel to choose the new coach

and a fair panel it is too.
Yep well known eagles names on it
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:23 pm

That rules McKenzie out of it
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down