Columbo
Titan2
Mickyj
16 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Season 2024 trial games  Empty Season 2024 trial games

Post by Mickyj Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:48 am

We have 3 trial games this year . First one against port . Anyone have a clue where the first trial game is ? The other 2 have grounds mentioned .
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Season 2024 trial games  Empty Re: Season 2024 trial games

Post by Titan2 Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:17 pm

I was just casting my eye over Season 2024 fixture.

It's always a bit difficult to tell the likely difficulty of teams in this early pre-season but based on last year's results we appear to have a pretty good early run.

To the end of Round 6 I think the Eagles should realistically be striving for 5 W-1L. I have them as likely wins against West, Port (at home), South (at home). A good chance of winning against Centrals (away) and North (home) and a likely loss against Sturt.

If we can get to this point our confidence will be sky high, our structures will probably be in place and the new recruits will have been embedded into their positions. From this point, who knows where we could go?

A downer.....after the club made a song and a dance about the new lighting at Woodville Oval during season 2023 we don't have a single game scheduled there (note the second half of the season hasn't been released yet). What is the point of expending all that money on lighting if it was never going to be used? If the issue was that the lighting wasn't bright enough then that is a pretty poor mark against whoever signed off on the deal.
Titan2
Titan2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:18 pm

Titan2 wrote:I was just casting my eye over Season 2024 fixture.

It's always a bit difficult to tell the likely difficulty of teams in this early pre-season but based on last year's results we appear to have a pretty good early run.

To the end of Round 6 I think the Eagles should realistically be striving for 5 W-1L. I have them as likely wins against West, Port (at home), South (at home). A good chance of winning against Centrals (away) and North (home) and a likely loss against Sturt.  

If we can get to this point our confidence will be sky high, our structures will probably be in place and the new recruits will have been embedded into their positions. From this point, who knows where we could go?

A downer.....after the club made a song and a dance about the new lighting at Woodville Oval during season 2023 we don't have a single game scheduled for a night game in season 2024(note the second half of the season hasn't been released yet so this may still happen). What is the point of expending all that money on lighting if it was never going to be used? If the issue was that the lighting wasn't bright enough then that is a pretty poor mark against whoever signed off on the deal.
Titan2
Titan2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:50 pm

Titan2 wrote:I was just casting my eye over Season 2024 fixture.

A downer.....after the club made a song and a dance about the new lighting at Woodville Oval during season 2023 we don't have a single game scheduled there (note the second half of the season hasn't been released yet). What is the point of expending all that money on lighting if it was never going to be used? If the issue was that the lighting wasn't bright enough then that is a pretty poor mark against whoever signed off on the deal.

Interesting post Titan we will see eventually if we win those games and if we get any night games
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:56 pm

I know it's not league games but the reserves in round 1 will likely have the lights on for the second half and the whole game in round 2 will be played under lights.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:00 am

"A downer.....after the club made a song and a dance about the new lighting at Woodville Oval during season 2023 we don't have a single game scheduled there (note the second half of the season hasn't been released yet). What is the point of expending all that money on lighting if it was never going to be used? If the issue was that the lighting wasn't bright enough then that is a pretty poor mark against whoever signed off on the deal."
Titan2

The club might have made a song and dance about having new lights installed but I don't care if never go to another night match. I just don't like them and I find it hard to see the players at night.

I think you will find that funding for the lights was a federal government grant via the Charles Sturt Council. Why knock it back!!!!!!!

Before the installation of the lights it was generally considered that the Eagles had the worst training lights in the league this upgrade has been sensational for training and well worth it.

I think you will find in the future there will be more women and under 18 matches played under lights at Woodville Oval. For me the upgraded lighting is a massive plus.

wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:31 pm

wimpy wrote:"A downer.....after the club made a song and a dance about the new lighting at Woodville Oval during season 2023 we don't have a single game scheduled there (note the second half of the season hasn't been released yet). What is the point of expending all that money on lighting if it was never going to be used? If the issue was that the lighting wasn't bright enough then that is a pretty poor mark against whoever signed off on the deal."
Titan2

The club might have made a song and dance about having new lights installed but I don't care if never go to another night match. I just don't like them and I find it hard to see the players at night.

I think you will find that funding for the lights was a federal government grant via the Charles Sturt Council. Why knock it back!!!!!!!

Before the installation of the lights it was generally considered that the Eagles had the worst training lights in the league this upgrade has been sensational for training and well worth it.

I think you will find in the future there will be more women and under 18 matches played under lights at Woodville Oval. For me the upgraded lighting is a massive plus.

I didn't realise that the Council & Commonwealth had funded the cost of the lights. As long as the Eagles haven't lost money on this then it's fine. As you say, why knock back the offer of lighting upgrades if it is free?

That said, does anyone know why the men's team isn't playing any night footy at Woodville Oval this season? Was the club not happy with crowd attendance? Was the quality of lighting deemed substandard?

I do feel that night matches only work (for improved crowds) if there are a tonne of restaurants and bars in the immediate vicinity that people can attend before/after the game. That is why the concept can be successful at The Parade and The Bay but not at Richmond, Elizabeth or Woodville.
Titan2
Titan2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:48 pm

I don't think the night matches have been a roaring success but originally the club's position was that 2.10 pm on Saturday afternoon (that might have been before the upgraded lighting) was the preferred time to play our matches. I suppose matches are monitored to to find out the best and most economical times to play for each club.
Another point about the new LED lights is that the amount of power and lights/globes used can be controlled  to save costs. I know there is a certain setting for the level of lighting for training.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:50 pm

Ok while I’m at my cardiologists our women have a trial game at Richmond oval tomorrow development at 10 am women league at 12 noon
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:41 pm

Is there anything being done about the surface or can we expect more of the same this season? The last two seasons have been awful and if there is anything the club needs to find money for or do something about to improve the quality, it is this.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:50 am

Aerie wrote:Is there anything being done about the surface or can we expect more of the same this season? The last two seasons have been awful and if there is anything the club needs to find money for or do something about to improve the quality, it is this.

No. I spoke to our CEO about the poor surface and I suggested that the Woodville Cricket club should move to Park 25 for a season while the oval is upgraded. He said the cricket club wouldn't agree to it and the cost was prohibitive and the money could be better spent elsewhere. The club chose to upgrade the change rooms. Talks have been held with the council to maintain the surface to a higher level, what ever that means.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:00 pm

wimpy wrote:
Aerie wrote:Is there anything being done about the surface or can we expect more of the same this season? The last two seasons have been awful and if there is anything the club needs to find money for or do something about to improve the quality, it is this.

No. I spoke to our CEO about the poor surface and I suggested  that the Woodville Cricket club should move to Park 25 for a season while the oval is upgraded. He said the cricket club wouldn't agree to it and the cost was prohibitive and the money could be better spent elsewhere. The club chose to upgrade the change rooms. Talks have been held with the council to maintain the surface to a higher level, what ever that means.

That's interesting. There is precedence with what Sturt FC have done.

With the lack of green space in Woodville area for those living there, I would think it could be beneficial for both the council and the footy club to upgrade the playing surface - perhaps make the oval a bit smaller in length and move it slightly north - the turf wickets being on the other side of the fence. Reclaim about 7000sqm (say about 50m x 150m) of space at the southern end for a public park.

I know money doesn't grow on trees, but thinking a bit outside the square could be beneficial for all. Most importantly the quality of field for the footballers to play on, secondly, improvement in viewing for spectators (i.e. if southern goals were closer to Eagles Club and Barry Jarman Stand), plus a decent sized public park for a suburb filled with cement.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:13 pm

Eagles girls had a good win in the trial game

Last edited by Mickyj on Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:22 pm

Mickyj wrote:Here’s the scoreboard from the eagles team trial win

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/HWgiLufCBfQ2mr9B/?mibextid=I6gGtw

Is this what you meant

https://www.facebook.com/wwtfc
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:45 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:Here’s the scoreboard from the eagles team trial win

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/HWgiLufCBfQ2mr9B/?mibextid=I6gGtw

Is this what you meant

https://www.facebook.com/wwtfc

Yeah thought I deleted my mistake lol
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:19 pm

Scores Micky Question
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:53 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:Scores Micky Question

West 2.1 eagles 5.5
Wish I’d gone but not so good for the heat
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:31 pm

Anyone thinks we need a good win against SA considering they have lost a lot of players, just to get a positive vibe for the upcoming season.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:28 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:Anyone thinks we need a good win against SA considering they have lost a lot of players, just to get a positive vibe for the upcoming season.

Yep good post Goddsy we need to but it’s only a trial game but a win would be great
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:19 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:Anyone thinks we need a good win against SA considering they have lost a lot of players, just to get a positive vibe for the upcoming season.

It's a little hard to get overly excited at the moment with I suspect Brinker-Ritchie missing at least the first four games and Jack Boyd at least the same or more, these are my assessments, it looks a bit grim. Jordan Lukac has just started full training so he is a fair way behind.
Players like Ballenden, Cooke and Weckert will have to reach new heights if we are to compete.
But, I'm really looking forward to see Fleeton, McKay, Barkla and Josh Morris show what they have.
Our first three games are at home and all these games are must wins.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:42 pm

I'm confident that McKay, Cooke, Weckert and Barkla have shown enough to give us hope (Fleeton, Morris and Ballenden are a given). But the player I'm unconvinced of is Jordan Moore - hoping he will impose himself, show some aggression and rebound, let us know that he is now better than the Glenelg Seconds CHB of last year because we recruited him with his height to fill a specific void in the backline. Go Jordan ! Have a big game!
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:39 pm

At training tonight, it was good to see a little progress in the rehab of Brinker-Ritchie (now limping with a lighter knee bandage). Jack Boyd now doing ball-work and running drills but still non-contact - clean skills with overhead marking and kicking.
Jarrad Redden will be playing on Saturday - he'll be a good cover for Brinker-Ritchie. Supporters will be impressed by his different shape.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:50 pm

Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:13 am

hawke wrote:At training tonight, it was good to see a little progress in the rehab of Brinker-Ritchie (now limping with a lighter knee bandage). Jack Boyd now doing ball-work and running drills but still non-contact - clean skills with overhead marking and kicking.
Jarrad Redden will be playing on Saturday - he'll be a good cover for Brinker-Ritchie. Supporters will be impressed by his different shape.  

Will be interesting to see whether a fit Redden who has had 12 months out of the game (was he playing country footy during this period??) and 10kg lighter goes better than a grossly overweight Redden in his last season who only barely made it to the finishing line.

Agreed he could be a very important player to cover until DBR and Lukac can get fit.
Titan2
Titan2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:51 pm

Titan, I accidentally replied on the other thread so I'll keep it short.
20kg lighter from the horses mouth.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next