Mickyj
35Eagles
Goddsy11
18 posters

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

THE 2024 SEASON - Page 9 Empty Re: THE 2024 SEASON

Post by Mickyj Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:39 am

Premiers wrote:Respectfully, disagree with all 4 points that you make (above), Mickj.          (but interesting, other opinions)

All good but Redden wins most taps but many go to the other team .
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:54 am

I think that the club needs to take a serious look at why we are playing Weckert. He is not having any impact on games, and is tipped to go at the end of the season in AFL draft. So why are we providing "learn time" to him, when our prime object is to win games? A less talented seconds player who is going to be an Eagles player next year and on is a better strategy for the club in my opinion.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:48 pm

whybother wrote:I think that the club needs to take a serious look at why we are playing Weckert. He is not having any impact on games, and is tipped to go at the end of the season in AFL draft. So why are we providing "learn time" to him, when our prime object is to win games? A less talented seconds player who is going to be an Eagles player next year and on is a better strategy for the club in my opinion.
Well said
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:08 pm

Mickyj wrote:
whybother wrote:I think that the club needs to take a serious look at why we are playing Weckert. He is not having any impact on games, and is tipped to go at the end of the season in AFL draft. So why are we providing "learn time" to him, when our prime object is to win games? A less talented seconds player who is going to be an Eagles player next year and on is a better strategy for the club in my opinion.
Well said

I don’t agree with this at all.

First of all, if he is dropped which other key forward do we bring up? There is no on in the Reserves who is putting their hand up. Cooke is injured and showed when he was in the side that he isn't a better option. Wheare didn't do anything yesterday either - he kicked a good goal on the run but looked awfully slow and limited (but will reserve judgement on him until he has notched a few matches). Okay Weckert didn’t touch the ball yesterday but two weeks ago he was one of better players. He’s competing very well and I have no doubt that he will become more consistent. Further, his presence makes it easier for Ballenden.

Secondly, we are not doing him any favour at all with our mostly dreadful forward entries that is not helpful to our key forwards. Start delivering it properly and he will kick 2 goals a game.

Lastly, I understand where you are coming from with not wanting to waste time on players who will get drafted at season’s end. But in Weckert’s case it is far from certain he will get drafted. You can’t not play players because of their potential to get drafted! Also by that same logic should we have played Lachie Jones a few years ago who was more of a certainty to get drafted? Lukosius? Should Herbert get any further game before the end of the season? Maybe we should have dropped Beecken who was very likely to get drafted at the midyear draft.

The exception to the rule I think are those players who are miles off the pace of league standard such as Tylor Welsh and who the Crows have basically all but committed to drafting at season’s end. He played for the Eagles last week in U18s for some reason and in this regard you have to question what benefit that was for our club when he committed to play for the Crows Reserves this year.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:27 pm

Titan2 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:
Well said

I don’t agree with this at all.

First of all, if he is dropped which other key forward do we bring up? There is no on in the Reserves who is putting their hand up. Cooke is injured and showed when he was in the side that he isn't a better option. Wheare didn't do anything yesterday either - he kicked a good goal on the run but looked awfully slow and limited (but will reserve judgement on him until he has notched a few matches). Okay Weckert didn’t touch the ball yesterday but two weeks ago he was one of better players. He’s competing very well and I have no doubt that he will become more consistent. Further, his presence makes it easier for Ballenden.

Secondly, we are not doing him any favour at all with our mostly dreadful forward entries that is not helpful to our key forwards. Start delivering it properly and he will kick 2 goals a game.

Lastly, I understand where you are coming from with not wanting to waste time on players who will get drafted at season’s end. But in Weckert’s case it is far from certain he will get drafted. You can’t not play players because of their potential to get drafted! Also by that same logic should we have played Lachie Jones a few years ago who was more of a certainty to get drafted? Lukosius? Should Herbert get any further game before the end of the season? Maybe we should have dropped Beecken who was very likely to get drafted at the midyear draft.

The exception to the rule I think are those players who are miles off the pace of league standard such as Tylor Welsh and who the Crows have basically all but committed to drafting at season’s end. He played for the Eagles last week in U18s for some reason and in this regard you have to question what benefit that was for our club when he committed to play for the Crows Reserves this year.

Well honestly we need to do something yesterdays forward line was to short against the bulldogs
We need to change something hence I said play a seconds ruck man and rest them and redden up in say the forward pocket .
It’s hard watching Williams and McKay stroll into goal and kick points
Changes of some sort need to made
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:57 pm

We are 6 wins 3 losses. It is hardly panic stations and we are exceeding expectations.

That said, Hann, Buck, Beattie, Pearce and Nicholls could all be considered fortunate to have not had extended spells in the reserves.

McKay will be on this list in the next few games if he doesn't lift.

We need to consider bringing Macfarlane back in after he's consistently getting high possession in the reserves over the last four weeks and seems to be over his injuries. Hanson is another who we need to be given a go.

I think Moore, Firns and Mawson have all surprised me with how well they have played this year.

Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:50 pm

Re playing Welsh in the U18s last week, from an unnamed source, either the AFL or SANFL request/order U18 draft eligible players to play some games against their peers to allow assessing by recruiters and also State U18 selection. An example is WWTFC Herbert who, although was playing League, dropped back to U18s where he has not outshone other players in that comp. Welsh was not going to be released by the SANFL to "yo-yo" between the Crows League and Eagles League ( would have been a farce) but was allowed to fulfilled a one game U18 commitment (kicked 8 goals) showing his standing amongst his peers. Once the State commitments are out the way, the SANFL clubs have full control of their U18 players.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:59 pm

Caleb Poulter contracted until end of 2025
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:04 am

Do we have any clarity regarding what has happened to Tom Luck?

Is he playing country footy in the Yorke Peninsula league this season or is he having the season off?

His story is one of the most puzzling. Dominant as an U16, spoken of in glowing terms as a draft prospect but decides to sit his U18 season out.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:48 pm

Worst outcome for us today as both Sturt and Glenelg won. Grrrrr
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:00 pm

Top 5 is tight. Had we beat Central, we’d be sitting top!
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:02 pm

Titan2 wrote:Do we have any clarity regarding what has happened to Tom Luck?

Is he playing country footy in the Yorke Peninsula league this season or is he having the season off?

His story is one of the most puzzling. Dominant as an U16, spoken of in glowing terms as a draft prospect but decides to sit his U18 season out.

Tom Luck has had a very indifferent season. Has had injury concerns and is currently over coming a hamstring problem.
He has moved from the country to do University studies and has found this a little difficult. He still is committed to the Eagles.
Should be pushing to play league next year.
Looking to the future, U18 state/academy players that might progress to the seniors next year.
Tyler Welsh - gone father/son to the Crows
Kade Herbert - would only be on the borderline of getting drafted. He hasn't really progressed from last year. I've watched his two state games and he has not stood out. He is a very clever player but lacks pace.
Harry Dodd - Played the first state game against the Allies but was not selected against Vic Country. Doubtful he will get drafted.
Jet Hasting - Has played in the two state matches so far. Has done OK, but being a flanker I doubt he will get drafted.
Tate Delmenico - Has played in the two state matches so far. Plays CHB but at 6'3"is too short to play this position at AFL level could end up a third tall. His first match was poor but improved considerably in his second match. Doubtful he will get drafted.
Charlie West at between 6'4' to 6'5" has a few AFL traits but has been fighting injuries. Is an excellent mark. Has not yet played in a state match.
It might be hard for West to get drafted with limited exposure. Second half of the season will be very important for him. Hope he doesn't get drafted, would look good up forward in the league team next year.
Oscar Pearce at 6'6" is playing as an overager in the U18s and starting to show good form might be a chance next year to push for senior selection.
Pearce normally plays CHB but last match kicked 2.2 up forward.
Another U18 who seems to play well each U18 match is Zac Schwarz, finds plenty of the ball.
There appears to be plenty of talent around but converting this talent in to league games remains a challenge.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:52 pm

Great writeup Wimpy as always. The future still looks good. I have been wondering about Herbert's form. The state system seems to have taken him backwards.

Today anyone see David Couzners request to past players. I forwarded the note to one of my mates who played League in the 60's I will see him Monday and discuss. I still stir him up about his old Mobil Card value on Ebay. Selling for $15.99 atm. Priced down. Laughing
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:23 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:Great writeup Wimpy as always. The future still looks good. I have been wondering about Herbert's form. The state system seems to have taken him backwards.

Today anyone see David Couzners request to past players. I forwarded the note to one of my mates who played League in the 60's I will see him Monday and discuss. I still stir him up about his old Mobil Card value on Ebay. Selling for $15.99 atm. Priced down. Laughing

I went to school with a couple of west Torrens players but haven’t seen them since the 70s
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:12 pm

wimpy wrote:
Titan2 wrote:Do we have any clarity regarding what has happened to Tom Luck?

Tom Luck has had a very indifferent season. Has had injury concerns and is currently over coming a hamstring problem.
He has moved from the country to do University studies and has found this a little difficult. He still is committed to the Eagles.
Should be pushing to play league next year.
Looking to the future, U18 state/academy players that might progress to the seniors next year.
Tyler Welsh - gone father/son to the Crows
Kade Herbert - would only be on the borderline of getting drafted. He hasn't really progressed from last year. I've watched his two state games and he has not stood out. He is a very clever player but lacks pace.
Harry Dodd - Played the first state game against the Allies but was not selected against Vic Country. Doubtful he will get drafted.
Jet Hasting - Has played in the two state matches so far. Has done OK, but being a flanker I doubt he will get drafted.
Tate Delmenico - Has played in the two state matches so far. Plays CHB but at 6'3"is too short to play this position at AFL level could end up a third tall. His first match was poor but improved considerably in his second match. Doubtful he will get drafted.
Charlie West at between 6'4' to 6'5" has a few AFL traits but has been fighting injuries. Is an excellent mark. Has not yet played in a state match.
It might be hard for West to get drafted with limited exposure. Second half of the season will be very important for him. Hope he doesn't get drafted, would look good up forward in the league team next year.
Oscar Pearce at 6'6" is playing as an overager in the U18s and starting to show good form might be a chance next year to push for senior selection.
Pearce normally plays CHB but last match kicked 2.2 up forward.
Another U18 who seems to play well each U18 match is Zac Schwarz, finds plenty of the ball.
There appears to be plenty of talent around but converting this talent in to league games remains a challenge.

Thanks for summary Wimpy. It is enjoyable to read these posts where people can provide their assessments of players that perhaps we have not seen.

With the the players you have listed above, the existing senior squad and the potential for 3-4 returning ex-Eagles from the AFL you'd have to say the next couple of years look extremely promising.

The challenge is to fit them all in!! Obvious gaps to arise over the next 1-2 years will be likely retirements of Thommo, Goldy, Menzel and Redden to retire so that frees up some vacancies. Perhaps even Knight may be at risk.

With a strong U18s the club should hopefully be able to get some depth in it's senior squad.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:14 pm

How does a young, tall mobile forward line like this one appeal in 2025:
FF. Rowe/Hardie. Ballenden. C West

HF Jevan Phillipou. J Hayes. Weckert

Marking power galore but West and Weckert are also quick for their size. Weckert's capable of improving his running game to take a HF flank or floating forward next year whereas West is very strong overhead in a contested pack mark. Salivating thought for 2025 (Only because I can see the Eagles losing this week to an improved SANFL Crows.)
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:47 pm

BOO!!! SANFL to continue to be degraded by the inclusion of Port Adelaide (and the Crows) for a further year in 2025.
I was so looking forward to next year and beyond being Port-free!!
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:24 pm

[quote="Titan2"]We are 6 wins 3 losses. It is hardly panic stations and we are exceeding expectations.

That said, Hann, Buck, Beattie, Pearce and Nicholls could all be considered fortunate to have not had extended spells in the reserves.

We need to consider bringing Macfarlane back in after he's consistently getting high possession in the reserves over the last four weeks and seems to be over his injuries. Hanson is another who we need to be given a go.

I think Moore, Firns and Mawson have all surprised me with how well they have played this year.

Regarding McKay does anyone know that he's been carrying a broken finger for a while. He told me at half time vs centrals in the reserves that's probably why his form has been down till last week's game. I don't think he'll be dropped as we need a player in the league like him with his talent.
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:26 pm

[quote="35Eagles"]
Titan2 wrote:We are 6 wins 3 losses. It is hardly panic stations and we are exceeding expectations.

Regarding McKay does anyone know that he's been carrying a broken finger for a while.  He told me at half time vs centrals in the reserves that's probably why his form has been down till last week's game. I don't think he'll be dropped as we need a player in the league like him with his talent.

Someone was asking re Renet a while ago on here but didn't know the answer to it. He's definitely gone and probably won't be back next season either.
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:09 pm

Might as well compile a list of ex- Eagles AFL listed players whose contracts are interesting (at the moment).
Those coming out of contract at the end of 2024 - Jack Hayes, Cooper Sharman, Mitch Hardie, Lachie McNeil, James Tsitas, Lachie Jones, Brodie Smith.

Those coming out of contract at the end of 2025- Jacob Wehr, Caleb Poulter

Henry Smith (Brisbane Bears, 206cm) is contracted until the end of 2026.

Brian Cox contracted until 2030.  And won't bother checking Pickett's and Stengle's contracts for obvious reasons.

Realistically expect Sharman's contract to be extended or, if delisted, then picked up by another club. However, he apparently was one of the exEagles players who met Sam Jacobs and Goldsworthy for a get-together meal in Melbourne.
How would a 2025 forward line appeal  of :

FF  Sharman     Ballenden    Rowe/Hardie

HF McNeil         Hayes         Weckert

Hell! I just woke up - I was only dreaming !
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:13 pm

[quote="hawke"]Might as well compile a list of ex- Eagles AFL listed players whose contracts are interesting (at the moment).
Those coming out of contract at the end of 2024 - Jack Hayes, Cooper Sharman, Mitch Hardie,  Lachie McNeil, James Tsitas, Lachie Jones, Brodie Smith.

Brian Cox contracted until 2030.  And won't bother checking Pickett's and Stengle's contracts for obvious reasons.

Realistically expect Sharman's contract to be extended or, if delisted, then picked up by another club. However, he apparently was one of the exEagles players who met Sam Jacobs and Goldsworthy for a get-together meal in Melbourne.

Hell! I just woke up - I was only dreaming.

Who's Brian Cox?? It's Brennan Cox and he's good mates with ex Eagle in Liam Wood.

35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:42 pm

Geez. You're right !
Thanks for not letting a good post get in the way of correct first names !!!
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:01 pm

hawke wrote:Might as well compile a list of ex- Eagles AFL listed players whose contracts are interesting (at the moment).
Those coming out of contract at the end of 2024 - Jack Hayes, Cooper Sharman, Mitch Hardie,  Lachie McNeil, James Tsitas, Lachie Jones, Brodie Smith.

Hell! I just woke up - I was only dreaming !

Thanks Hawke

A couple of others you have missed - Rhyan Mansell, James Tsitas and Harry Schoenberg - any idea what the state their contracts?

Also just wondering who you were meaning when you nominated Pickett?

That is half a team of ex-Eagles whose contracts will end in the next 1-2 years and I'd say all of them barring probably Cox are unlikely to have their contracts extended. Some might be surprised that I have listed Lachy Jones amongst that but he seems to have gone backwards dramatically this year and in fact he probably had more impact in the SANFL in the year he had with us than what he is having now!!

The question is every if say 5 of them were to decide they were interested in playing SANFL there is no way we could fit them in our team under the salary cap and many of them would be competing against some players we currently have who are playing pretty well.

So if we could only choose, say, three of them which three would you choose?
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:10 pm

Titan,
I have listed James Tsitas above in my post. Mansell is contracted until the end of 2026 while Schoenberg is to end of 2025 (according to Google). Cosi Pickett is an exEagle, drafted from our U18s, played at least one game, that I saw, in our Seconds - he has some feeling for our Club - I was watching Eagles pre-season training at Seaton Ramblers oval approx 3 years ago when Cosi joined the training; he was in Adelaide for a family occasion and had received permission from Melbourne FC to train with the Eagles. I didn't list Pickett or Stengle because they will certainly play out their careers in Melbourne.
In answer to your question which 3 would I choose, I do think those options (above) will be whittled down to only 3 available but 2 of those 3, I would have taken anyway.
1. Mitch Hardie - has had a brilliant VFL season. We need another prolific ballwinning midfielder who kicks goals. Is only approx 25 years age and loves the Club. Will certainly return to us if delisted
2. Jack Hayes. Only reason why I have him number 2 behind Hardie is the uncertainty with the effect of his injuries. Suspect he would still be a SANFL star.
3. Lachlan McNeil Could fill that troublesome HF flank (with Goldsworthy's/Menzel's imminent retirements) Has shown at Western Bulldogs that he is capable of 2-4 goal bags as well as wingman or outside midfielder. Adds important pace. Still young with many years to offer.

If Sharman or Tsitas were available, I would take them instead of McNeil but I also suspect both of those would be expensive, not being home-grown like McNeil.

Yes, I agree with you re Lachie Jones, Port Power. Watched him again today (Norwood vs Port). He appears to be much more defensive, doesn't read the ball enough to set up rebound from the HB flanks and with ball in hand, he makes poor decisions (handballing/kicking to teammates in bad positions). And Port appear to have unearthed a new kid yesterday, HB flanker, in his debut AFL game so Lachie is slipping down their list. If I had to choose between our Josh Morris and Port's Lachie Jones, I would take Morris. But, tongue in cheek, having Jones would give us some depth.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:19 pm

hawke wrote:Titan,
I have listed James Tsitas above in my post. Mansell is contracted until the end of 2026 while Schoenberg is to end of 2025 (according to Google). Cosi Pickett is an exEagle, drafted from our U18s, played at least one game, that I saw, in our Seconds - he has some feeling for our Club - I was watching Eagles pre-season training at Seaton Ramblers oval approx 3 years ago when Cosi joined the training; he was in Adelaide for a family occasion and had received permission from Melbourne FC to train with the Eagles. I didn't list Pickett or Stengle because they will certainly play out their careers in Melbourne.
In answer to your question which 3 would I choose, I do think those options (above) will be whittled down to only 3 available but 2 of those 3, I would have taken anyway.
1. Mitch Hardie - has had a brilliant VFL season. We need another prolific ballwinning midfielder who kicks goals. Is only approx 25 years age and loves the Club. Will certainly return to us if delisted
2. Jack Hayes. Only reason why I have him number 2 behind Hardie is the uncertainty with the effect of his injuries. Suspect he would still be a SANFL star.
3. Lachlan McNeil Could fill that troublesome HF flank (with Goldsworthy's/Menzel's imminent retirements) Has shown at Western Bulldogs that he is capable of 2-4 goal bags as well as wingman or outside midfielder. Adds important pace. Still young with many years to offer.

If Sharman or Tsitas were available, I would take them instead of McNeil but I also suspect both of those would be expensive, not being home-grown like McNeil.

Yes, I agree with you re Lachie Jones, Port Power. Watched him again today (Norwood vs Port). He appears to be much more defensive, doesn't read the ball enough to set up rebound from the HB flanks and with ball in hand, he makes poor decisions (handballing/kicking to teammates in bad positions). And Port appear to have unearthed a new kid yesterday, HB flanker, in his debut AFL game so Lachie is slipping down their list. If I had to choose between our Josh Morris and Port's Lachie Jones, I would take Morris. But, tongue in cheek, having Jones would give us some depth.

I'd like to think that if Brodie Smith gets delisted that he'd be interested in playing in the SANFL under his good mate Sauce for one year. Given his age I couldn't really see him shopping himself around for money nor playing for another club. I guess much might depend on how serious his knee injury is that he suffered against us last week.

Can't really argue with you about Hardie and Hayes being priority #1 and #2. However I'd probably go for Wehr over McNeill given Beecken's departure and his precision kicking is a point of difference that we don't have currently in our side. I think with Hardie and Rowe interchanging forward/mid that they could do the job of the goal kicking mids.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next