Headfan
Mickyj
Premiers
20 posters

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Recruits for Season 2024 - Page 33 Empty Re: Recruits for Season 2024

Post by hawke Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:32 pm

Don’t forget West Torrens stalwart Dirk Inglis who came from Essendon Reserves (thru Oakleigh) with Johnny Cassin in the mid-70s. Played over 150 games and a standout CHF.[/quote]

You're right, Headfan. How could I overlook our best centre half forward, Dirk Inglis (perhaps 2nd best after All-Australian Geoff Kingston).
After Dirk came over from Essendon as a 21 year old, his football ability blossomed to the point that Essendon's Recruiting Manager, Alec Epis, flew across to watch him play. Lucky for us, Dirk played his one "shocker" for the season and Epis returned to Windy Hill to tell the Dons "not to bother".
Dirk, Milan Faletic and John Cassin remain good friends after footy days.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:37 pm

hawke wrote:
wimpy wrote:Cameron Fleeton has just been interviewed for a part-time job, looks like the club is looking after him. Has already done a couple of training sessions.
Jacob Wehr pushed him really hard to come to the Eagles. Also Sam Jacobs and Phil Davis are good mates and Davis told Fleeton he thought the Eagles would be a good fit for him.
Let's hope he is a lot better than RCD.

Dare we hope for a GWS recruiting connection? These connections are invaluable. Can we read into this that Jakob Wehr expects to come home in 2025 (his terminating 2023 contract was extended only one year) and wanted his mate Cameron Fleeton at the Eagles when he returns. Further-more, if there are other delisted GWS players at the end of the 2024 season considering a move interstate, could Jakob bring another with him?

I watched training on Wednesday night. Difficult to pick out some of the juniors -need Wimpy with me to identify these guys. However, ironical to see the enthusiastic Jack Firns leading the "run-throughs" and looking as keen as ever. Jordan Lukac was doing a lot of running the boundary line- looks like he has spent time in the Gym and has built upper body strength. Riley Knight spent much of the night running laps. Didn't identify any of the tall interstate recruits, Boyd, Moore Fleeton, out there. Perhaps they will only put in a few appearances before Christmas. Our best U18s are presently training with the State Academy Squad.

Or me to identify the juniors.  I just about know them all.  They know who I'm in person.
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:04 pm

I was too young to see the 1953 GF or Mick’s place kick, but did train under Doug Cockshell in the Under 17s. Saw many of my User Name’s games in the 60s and 70s and was always amazed by his many acts of football wizardry.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:41 pm

Does anyone know when the fixture is out?? Know its normally mid December but afl and nrl have been out for a month or so and it's normally just after them.
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:22 am

Forgot to mention that Jimmy Rowe was at training fully kitted out, he did a bit of jogging, was looking OK, and as always was joking with the boys. I would think he would be back in to full training after the Christmas break.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:25 am

I remember being at training during the Barrot coaching stint, after training he and Neville Roberts would always have a shoot out to see who could kick the longest. Barrot wouldn't let Roberts go in until he had beaten Roberts for the longest kick.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:04 am

wimpy wrote:I remember being at training during the Barrot coaching stint, after training he and Neville Roberts would always have a shoot out to see who could kick the longest. Barrot wouldn't let Roberts go in until he had beaten Roberts for the longest kick.
Two huge egos there, wimpy!
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:13 am

Headfan wrote:
wimpy wrote:I remember being at training during the Barrot coaching stint, after training he and Neville Roberts would always have a shoot out to see who could kick the longest. Barrot wouldn't let Roberts go in until he had beaten Roberts for the longest kick.
Two huge egos there, wimpy!

I always thought it would never end well when Rocky married a Miss Norwood although Torrens was a basket case the way it was run.

Edit: Nothing about Rocky but more on the club. I recall being at the Eagles Club one night when our Sponsor at the time (home builder, I forget the name) introduced the owner of Fairmont Homes, Gordon Pichard on stage. He made us a good offer that required all supporters matching whatever he was willing to put in. Admittingly he was a bit pissed but we had hecklers in the background that soured the event.

The rest is history.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:53 am

Re the Goddsy video link: it was also a sad reminder that SANFL also got CROWDS to the games.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:14 pm

Are we recruiting any strong swimmers for next season?
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:39 pm

This time of the year, the comment is " Well, we won't know until trial games begin" or "Time will tell".
But if you had to rate our Eagles 2024 position on the ladder at this stage (balancing optimism with realism), have a punt.
eg Sturt and Centrals have kept most of their core and recruited well, Glenelg will be strong again, North losing Moore, Young but replaced them could go either way, Norwood losing Nunn and Rockhe but surely won't have another injury -ravaged season like last, South losing Sproule, Gibbs, Broadbent, Rose have to replace experienced class and Westies don't excite.Port/Crows, could be anywhere.
For me, I would be expecting to be in front of South Port and West and in a battle with Norwood and North for 5th spot. No great expectation but looking forward to 2024, a year of exciting development in preparation for a real crack at another Premiership in 2025 !
Give me your opinion with reasons without the "it's too early" rubbish. Lighten up for a bit of fun on a rainy day!!
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:48 pm

So if this weather keeps up, and Woodville Oval is like this last season, we will need swimmers.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:57 pm

whybother wrote:So if this weather keeps up, and Woodville Oval is like this last season, we will need swimmers.

Are you at the oval
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:13 pm

Premiers wrote:This time of the year, the comment is " Well, we won't know until trial games begin" or "Time will tell".
But if you had to rate our Eagles 2024 position on the ladder at this stage (balancing optimism with realism), have a punt.
eg Sturt and Centrals have kept most of their core and recruited well, Glenelg will be strong again, North losing Moore, Young but replaced them could go either way, Norwood losing Nunn and Rockhe but surely won't have another injury -ravaged season like last, South losing Sproule, Gibbs, Broadbent, Rose have to replace experienced class and Westies don't excite.Port/Crows, could be anywhere.
For me, I would be expecting to be in front of South Port and West and in a battle with Norwood and North for 5th spot. No great expectation but looking forward to 2024, a year of exciting development in preparation for a real crack at another Premiership in 2025 !
Give me your opinion with reasons without the "it's too early" rubbish. Lighten up for a bit of fun on a rainy day!!
Ok it’s way to early had to say it lol
I’m really interested in seeing firstly how the recruits turn out .
We didn’t go out and buy big name recruits , I think we’ve gone back not backwards but recruited players we needed and perhaps in a good age group
South lost experience but they were older afl experienced players didn’t win them that elusive flag.
I am interested in seeing Sam’s coaching style . I understand last year he was at times in the box with Godden . He may have learnt a defensive game style I don’t have an issue with that I hope Sam’s got a plan B unlike other Eagles coaches I won’t say names .
I wish to see what game style Sam will go with
But most importantly I want us to win more games and play finals
I hope in 2024 we play finals but not have twilight games at oval ave .
So can we finish fourth or higher maybe fourth and hopefully go further
Many know my health issues 2023 I bought a 5 game home match due to waiting on surgery . Surgery I’m still on a waiting list my issues have brought a sense of humour out I think I’ll marry a super model before surgery lol .
So the other thing I found in cancer treatment ( im free of it now ) is to be positive so I’m positively thinking we will win more games play and win finals
I’m positive with a full time coach we won’t have a 2024 season like 2023
I hope that makes sense
Eagles end of the H&A season will be fourth and we will see what happens in the finals
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:32 pm

Good to hear you're on the right track health wise Mickyj. Let's hope 2024 is a good year for you and for the Eagles.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:47 pm

Aerie wrote:Good to hear you're on the right track health wise Mickyj. Let's hope 2024 is a good year for you and for the Eagles.

Thanks Aerie I’m trying to improve thankfully cancer free other issues im so so but I’ll get there !

My positivity the Eagles will be the big improvers I’ll be on the outer with a few of our posters from here .
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GazzC Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:41 pm

Why cant we go big? Our 2020/21 recruits were not proven until Sheeds started to develop them and get them to blend well. Some of the names then may not have excited the supporters but look at the results. Sheeds won it in year1 , Bays coach who had a cricket background, as well so let's not be shy. Wehr ,Mansell,Mc Neill, Pudney may not have immediately give supporters inspiration so let us back Sauce and co to step up
GazzC
GazzC

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:46 pm

My thoughts as well GazzC.
Add these players to your names - Jones, Lowson, Jungfer, Mutch, Cameron, Beecken, Lehmann. Altho some of these featured in our 2nd Premiership.
I’m looking big and hoping for a Premiership. If Sheedy was able to do it, maybe Sauce can too. Btw was it Winter’s 1st or 2nd year?
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:26 am

Not sure what to expect in 2024 to be honest.
I was confident we would return to the top 3 in 2023 as was the playing group.
Injuries and poor form of key players hit us hard.

The Club's aim is to get back into the finals in 2024 which is what some of us on here are saying. I can't see us challenging last years Grand Finalists when it counts, they are just too strong up forward (Glenelg) and their midfields run deep (Sturt especially). But anything is possible with a first year coach, Winter and Sheedy achieved the ultimate in year one, Godden got us going close in 2010 and Paul Hamilton got us to the big dance in 2000. Bring it on.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:42 pm

This is what i have heard, trial games at Elizabeth and Noarlunga, an internal at Footy Park and a match against the Crows at Footy Park.
It looks like we will play Westies at home in the first round, then have a gather round bye, then play the Bays at home.

I just think we have to "throw caution to the wind" and just develop a team for the future. I think we should only play the likes of Goldy, Menzel, Firns and Comma if we are desperately down on numbers. We have plenty of youngsters on our list and these players should be played and given experience to form a competitive team for years to come. The coach has to formulate a game plan and style the players want to play.
We cannot afford to keep missing finals. Leadership and enthusiasm is a must.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:55 pm

Always good to play the previous year's Premiers in the first 1-2 rounds when they are recovering from a Hangover. Last season, we surprised Premier Norwood in the first or second game of the season and it happens regularly. By about the 6th round, the reigning Premiers have thrown off the cobwebs. (although then Norwood were ravaged by injuries)
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:01 pm

Premiers wrote:Always good to play the previous year's Premiers in the first 1-2 rounds when they are recovering from a Hangover. Last season, we surprised Premier Norwood in the first or second game of the season and it happens regularly. By about the 6th round, the reigning Premiers have thrown off the cobwebs. (although then Norwood were ravaged by injuries)

Like us in 2012.
Sheedy's Berocca's worked a treat in the pre season of 2021, no hangover that year (only at the end - self inflicted !!)
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:07 pm

wimpy wrote:This is what i have heard, trial games at Elizabeth and Noarlunga, an internal at Footy Park and a match against the Crows at Footy Park.
It looks like we will play Westies at home in the first round, then have a gather round bye, then play the Bays at home.

I just think we have to "throw caution to the wind" and just develop a team for the future. I think we should only play the likes of Goldy, Menzel, Firns and Comma if we are desperately down on numbers. We have plenty of youngsters on our list and these players should be played and given experience to form a competitive team for years to come. The coach has to formulate a game plan and style the players want to play.
We cannot afford to keep missing finals. Leadership and enthusiasm is a must.

In 2021, we lost McNeil, Rowe, Nick Hayes, Foote, von Bertouch, Jones, Mansell, Wehr, Lowson (and Seymour who is now a Norwood regular).
Incomers lifted to meet the challenge.
You talk sense wimpy, but I feel we can develop some and play experience to perform well on a weekly basis rather than just use 2024 to “develop a team for the future”. We need to aim high like Winter and Sheedy did. I think Sauce is the man to do it.
I see a fit Menzel as a starter from the start and Goldy being in the 22 more often than not.
My view.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:09 pm

Agree Headfan. Premierships, not developing players for the AFL is what I want. If Menzel is a better forward pocket than Weckert, play Menzel every week despite being in his twilight years. Are we going to avoid playing Thompson because a younger FB needs experience and development - of course, not! Give me a team of "geriatrics" Thompson, T.Menzel, Goldsworthy if they're playing to 2023 standard ( T. Menzel 2022), over handing out easy games to youngsters. Old man Taylor Walker for the Crows showed his best footy last season. For us, I thought Thompson was one of the best two fullbacks in the SANFL. Menzel, having a good stable knee possibly for the first time in 3 -4 years, may still be a match winner. No age discrimination , please. Only form discrimination.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:33 am

Troy Menzel is 29yo so still could have another 2-3 years left.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next