How the heck did I miss it
No Sheeds thank you for pointing it out
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Recruits for Season 2024 - Page 32 Empty Re: Recruits for Season 2024

Post by Headfan Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:27 am

From the latest podcast Sauce said he was no longer up to SANFL standard when asked whether he’d consider being a playing coach this year. We’ll see whether he might reconsider on the odd occasion, should circumstances present.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:22 pm

Headfan wrote:From the latest podcast Sauce said he was no longer up to SANFL standard when asked whether he’d consider being a playing coach this year.   We’ll see whether he might reconsider on the odd occasion, should circumstances present.

If Sauce was to play it would suggest we are in panic mode.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:19 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:
Headfan wrote:From the latest podcast Sauce said he was no longer up to SANFL standard when asked whether he’d consider being a playing coach this year.   We’ll see whether he might reconsider on the odd occasion, should circumstances present.

If Sauce was to play it would suggest we are in panic mode.

Correct. As much as I'd like to see it for the pure enjoyment factor, SANFL would have passed him by.
Sam's time is better spent working closely and fast tracking the development of Brinker-Ritchie (or Brinker-Williams as Hawke affectionately calls him!) and Jordan Lukac. Lukac has had a big off season in the gym, he's bulked up considerably in the shoulders and chest and looks very fit. Brinker should also benefit from a full pre-season in SA.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:46 pm

Maybe Sauce could do what the crows did years ago....play Rowe as 1st ruck
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:38 pm

whybother wrote:Maybe Sauce could do what the crows did years ago....play Rowe as 1st ruck

We just about did last year with our ruck stocks so low.
Trent Ormond Allen was the Crows midget Ruckman/person back then.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:18 pm

What about Poole at CHF for a spell in the GF?
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:46 pm

And mark of the day too
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:10 pm

wimpy wrote:Cameron Fleeton has just been interviewed for a part-time job, looks like the club is looking after him. Has already done a couple of training sessions.
Jacob Wehr pushed him really hard to come to the Eagles. Also Sam Jacobs and Phil Davis are good mates and Davis told Fleeton he thought the Eagles would be a good fit for him.
Let's hope he is a lot better than RCD.

Dare we hope for a GWS recruiting connection? These connections are invaluable. Can we read into this that Jakob Wehr expects to come home in 2025 (his terminating 2023 contract was extended only one year) and wanted his mate Cameron Fleeton at the Eagles when he returns. Further-more, if there are other delisted GWS players at the end of the 2024 season considering a move interstate, could Jakob bring another with him?

I watched training on Wednesday night. Difficult to pick out some of the juniors -need Wimpy with me to identify these guys. However, ironical to see the enthusiastic Jack Firns leading the "run-throughs" and looking as keen as ever. Jordan Lukac was doing a lot of running the boundary line- looks like he has spent time in the Gym and has built upper body strength. Riley Knight spent much of the night running laps. Didn't identify any of the tall interstate recruits, Boyd, Moore Fleeton, out there. Perhaps they will only put in a few appearances before Christmas. Our best U18s are presently training with the State Academy Squad.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:26 pm

Before someone" corrects me, acknowledge that ex Glenelg recruit Jordan Moore was incorrectly labelled a '...tall INTERSTATE recruit.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:43 pm

When we talk about recruiting connections, who amongst you can remember the Essendon connection with, firstly, the great RO Shearman and coach Dick Reynolds followed up 10-15 years later by ruckman Jim Forsythe (who played State football) and captain-coach Johnny Birt (Vic State Captain 300 VFL games averaged 40 SANFL disposals/game) and even HF John Cassin. Before someone reminds me of the Essendon disappointments of recent years, Dylan Clark and O'Brien (O'Brien because he was fantastic for us in his first season before going home after a lesser second season). I don't think we have had as strong a connection with any other Club although Geelong, by taking, not giving, have come close in recent years.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:44 pm

hawke wrote:Before someone" corrects me, acknowledge that ex Glenelg recruit Jordan Moore was incorrectly labelled a '...tall INTERSTATE recruit.

You could’ve edited your post Hawke need be .
We all make mistakes I missed the new recruit the other day
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:10 pm

hawke wrote:When we talk about recruiting connections, who amongst you can remember the Essendon connection with, firstly, the great RO Shearman and coach Dick Reynolds followed up 10-15 years later by ruckman Jim Forsythe (who played State football) and captain-coach Johnny Birt (Vic State Captain 300 VFL games averaged 40 SANFL disposals/game) and even HF John Cassin. Before someone reminds me of the Essendon disappointments of recent years, Dylan Clark and O'Brien (O'Brien because he was fantastic for us in his first season before going home after a lesser second season). I don't think we have had as strong a connection with any other Club although Geelong, by taking, not giving, have come close in recent years.

Don’t forget West Torrens stalwart Dirk Inglis who came from Essendon Reserves (thru Oakleigh) with Johnny Cassin in the mid-70s. Played over 150 games and a standout CHF.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:17 pm

Headfan wrote:
hawke wrote:When we talk about recruiting connections, who amongst you can remember the Essendon connection with, firstly, the great RO Shearman and coach Dick Reynolds followed up 10-15 years later by ruckman Jim Forsythe (who played State football) and captain-coach Johnny Birt (Vic State Captain 300 VFL games averaged 40 SANFL disposals/game) and even HF John Cassin. Before someone reminds me of the Essendon disappointments of recent years, Dylan Clark and O'Brien (O'Brien because he was fantastic for us in his first season before going home after a lesser second season). I don't think we have had as strong a connection with any other Club although Geelong, by taking, not giving, have come close in recent years.

Don’t forget West Torrens stalwart Dirk Inglis who came from Essendon Reserves (thru Oakleigh) with Johnny Cassin in the mid-70s. Played over 150 games and a standout CHF.

Hawke and Headfan I feel so old thanks to you 2 lol
Remember most of them
I did see a Torrens playing coach kick a drop kick goal from centre I was very young at the time
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:36 pm

Mickyj wrote:
Headfan wrote:

Remember most of them
I did see a Torrens playing coach kick a drop kick goal from centre I was very young at the time

Billy Barrot.

Wiki description
Moving to Adelaide, Barrot was appointed as captain-coach of SANFL club West Torrens. After running seventh in 1973, the Eagles endured a horror start to the 1974 season which ultimately precipitated Barrot's departure, in somewhat acrimonious circumstances, midway through the year. However, it was during this 1.5-year stint at West Torrens that Barrot would be remembered for his 87-metre torpedo punt

about 3:30 minutes in.
https://youtu.be/H50h7h7wrIg
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:46 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:
Headfan wrote:

Remember most of them

Billy Barrot.

Wiki description
Moving to Adelaide, Barrot was appointed as captain-coach of SANFL club West Torrens. After running seventh in 1973, the Eagles endured a horror start to the 1974 season which ultimately precipitated Barrot's departure, in somewhat acrimonious circumstances, midway through the year. However, it was during this 1.5-year stint at West Torrens that Barrot would be remembered for his 87-metre torpedo punt

That’s him Goddsy I feel bloody old
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:53 pm

Mickyj wrote:
Goddsy11 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:
Headfan wrote:

Remember most of them

Billy Barrot.

Wiki description

I was there on the southern side. Central supporters were a pain in the behind as always. We lost by a goal but all we could talk about at the West Thebby was that goal. It actually was still travelling past the goal a few meters.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:08 pm

Not to diminish Barrots effort, but I think that he had a northely wind behind him
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:53 pm

I think "hawke" had an indirect relationship with Billy Barrot.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:01 pm

Talked to Dane McFarlane tonight, expects to be playing late April, the fourth week which should be our third match.
Weckert looks like he has lost some weight.
Cameron Fleeton (a left footer) is a similar height to Weckert.
Luke McKay not over yet but his mate Blake Renot (I think that is how his name is spelt) is already here training, he is a nuggety on baller, I don't know if he is up to league standard, we'll just have to wait and see.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:09 pm

Saw Mick Clingly kick a goal at Thebby from near centre with a screw punt (not torpedo) that went through level with the tops of the goal posts!
He also kicked 12 goals against Glenelg including the last place kick ever kicked in the SANFL.
In the 1953 GF, coach Joe Kinlough made a master stroke by playing Mick, normally a CHF, in the back pocket to counter Port’s Lloyd Zucker. It worked and we won by 7 points when HB Frank Graham intercepted a Chicken Hayes handpass and kicked to Doug Cockshell who got the ball to Ray Hank who bustled a goal in the dying minutes.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:09 pm

whybother wrote:Not to diminish Barrots effort, but I think that he had a northely wind behind him

50 years ago. WTF
I don't recall anything but that goal and the feral Centrals supporters from that match.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:12 pm

Headfan wrote:Saw Mick Clingly kick a goal at Thebby from near centre with a screw punt (not torpedo) that went through level with the tops of the goal posts!
He also kicked 12 goals against Glenelg including the last place kick ever kicked in the SANFL.
In the 1953 GF, coach Joe Kinlough made a master stroke by playing Mick, normally a CHF, in the back pocket to counter Port’s Lloyd Zucker. It worked and we won by 7 points when HB Frank Graham intercepted a Chicken Hayes handpass and kicked to Doug Cockshell who got the ball to Ray Hank who bustled a goal in the dying minutes.

My God , your older than Methuselah.

Edit. I met Doug Cockshell once when I applied for a job at ES Wigg and sons. I got the job but never showed up. One of my old workmates worked there and he told me not showing up was a great decision. He always said Doug was a nice guy.

Last edited by Goddsy11 on Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:18 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:
Goddsy11 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:
Headfan wrote:

Remember most of them

Billy Barrot.

Wiki description

I was there on the southern side. Central supporters were a pain in the behind as always. We lost by a goal but all we could talk about at the West Thebby was that goal. It actually was still travelling past the goal a few meters.

Thanks for the memories and yep typical centrals fans
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:20 pm

Headfan wrote:Saw Mick Clingly kick a goal at Thebby from near centre with a screw punt (not torpedo) that went through level with the tops of the goal posts!

You don’t look that old Headfan or is it my glasses at oval ave
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next