Headfan
Mickyj
Premiers
20 posters

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Recruits for Season 2024 - Page 36 Empty Re: Recruits for Season 2024

Post by Mickyj Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:40 pm

The Barton wrote:Thebarton is close to my heart in case it's not obvious from my member name.
As much as I loved it when we played a few games there earlier this Century, it's not just financially viable for the club. Setting up for the day adds considerable cost (we lose money on the day) and it creates more work for our already overstretched volunteers. After the initial game back at Thebby where it was well supported, other games didn't attract many more that we'd get at Oval Avenue.

Having said that, the celebration of our 100 year premiership anniversary would be worth considering. I know the club is very much aware of the significance of 100 years but I'm yet to see any events planned. Might be a good question to ask our CEO and/or Club President at tonight's event.

Thebby meant a lot to this old guy as a kid I went with dad . In my teen years family would drop me there . After the game I’d walk home if Torrens won I’d be home 15 or so minutes
But alas I was studying ( let’s call it that ) at thebarton senior college the old thebbie tech next door . The oval was not really like it used to be
Time for us old Torrens fans to move on
Yes it’s the old Woodville home ground now ours
Let’s look back it started as Woodville temporary oval permanent was supposed to be at ST Clair didn’t happen
Best to always look to forward be positive ( sorry learnt that getting better from all my health issues )
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:39 pm

wimpy wrote:
eaglesman wrote:It's a pity that the club did not see it fit to program a match at Thebarton Oval in 2024, in celebration of the centenary of West Torrens' first premiership, but I suppose that is asking too much.  The centenary of the opening of Thebarton Oval in 2022 was also ignored.  I dislike the way the club seems to turn its back on its West Torrens heritage.

Some very good points "eaglesman".
A great oval, a decent size and lots and lots of memories.

For the ex Woodville supporters they have their oval, clubrooms and their name first in the official name, all the West Torrens supporters got was the "Eagles" name, a poor return for amalgamation and relocation. I hope at the new Crows location there will be a notice board or similar out lining West Torrens history at the Thebarton Oval.  

Besides the entrance gates, the bomb shelter and a bunch of trees planted in the late 90's on Kings Reserve  Rolling Eyes , the only significant thing that will remain after it is all knocked down and rebuilt as Crows HQ, will be the Phil Ridings Stand.

I would love this stand to be renamed the West Torrens Stand with various plaques and/or artwork displaying the famous faces and moments, including Phil Ridings and of course, Lindsay Head, Bob Hank, Fred Bills and David Hookes amongst others. Perhaps a projection to the back of the Stand could be used at times to recognise the significance of this once great club and the significance of Thebarton Oval to South Australian football.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:14 am

Recruits for Season 2024 - Page 36 250c5c10

Recruits for Season 2024 - Page 36 49b68810Recruits for Season 2024 - Page 36 250c5c10

Recruits for Season 2024 - Page 36 49b68810

I bought 2 signed Eagles replica lace up guernseys (iconic eagle on front) after the 17/6/2006 game played against Glenelg at Thebby Oval. We won 15.9 to 13.9 and, as you know, went on to win the Premiership. The best guernsey ever.
#26 signed by Dale Symmons. Originally worn by Doug Edwards, Peter Fischer, etc.
#2 signed by Matt Cooper. Originally worn by 1953 Premiership ruckman Jim Coverlid in 1955.
Before the game, Mark McKenzie said “Wearing this jumper will help the players realise we’re a part of West Torrens.”
If I can’t get the pics on with this post, I will try separately.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:13 pm

Copied from Facebook see if it works
Cameron Fleeton will join the Eagles in 2024, coming from the GWS Giants in the AFL.

He sits down here with WWTFC Commercial Operations Manager Andy Hood for a lighthearted chat, in our premiere first edition of “In The Eyrie” 👉 https://bit.ly/3v5e7fz

Here’s a quick snapshot…

#EaglesWWTFC #InTheEyrie
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:37 pm

Couldn't make it on Thursday night members night. What's the latest on Rowey?? Like how is his recovery going?? I forgot to ask someone re it the other day but didn't see the person to talk to either.
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:27 am

The only senior player that I saw there was Rowlands
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:07 am

At the Thursday members night, Rowlands, Morris, Beecken, Williams were some of the senior players interviewed with recruits Moore, Barkla, Fleeton and McKay. Sam Jacobs introduced Sam Rowland's as "our midfielder" so that solves who is going to feel that 5th onballer role; expect McKay to be the 6th onballer. And hope that the Eagles get a belated Christmas present in February (Max Beattie) as the 7th onballer. Josh Morris said he expected to play half-back. Was surprised at the height of Jordan Moore as he stood alongside Sam Jacobs - must be at least 196cm - 197cm tall.
Changerooms look very professional - especially liked the coaches room, very much AFL like, with the player tiered levels facing the screen etc.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:56 am

Premiers wrote:At the Thursday members night, Rowlands, Morris, Beecken, Williams were some of the senior players interviewed with recruits Moore, Barkla, Fleeton and McKay. Sam Jacobs introduced Sam Rowland's as "our midfielder" so that solves who is going to feel that 5th onballer role; expect McKay to be the 6th onballer. And hope that the Eagles get a belated Christmas present in February (Max Beattie) as the 7th onballer. Josh Morris said he expected to play half-back. Was surprised at the height of Jordan Moore as he stood alongside Sam Jacobs - must be at least 196cm - 197cm tall.
Changerooms look very professional - especially liked the coaches room, very much AFL like, with the player tiered levels facing the screen etc.

I don't know why but Glenelg has always had tall players wherever. We have tended to recruiter shorter players.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:25 am

Goddsy11 wrote:
Premiers wrote:At the Thursday members night, Rowlands, Morris, Beecken, Williams were some of the senior players interviewed with recruits Moore, Barkla, Fleeton and McKay. Sam Jacobs introduced Sam Rowland's as "our midfielder" so that solves who is going to feel that 5th onballer role; expect McKay to be the 6th onballer. And hope that the Eagles get a belated Christmas present in February (Max Beattie) as the 7th onballer. Josh Morris said he expected to play half-back. Was surprised at the height of Jordan Moore as he stood alongside Sam Jacobs - must be at least 196cm - 197cm tall.

I don't know why but Glenelg has always had tall players wherever. We have tended to recruiter shorter players.
Maybe like that song said the times they are a changing could be we are going in a different direction
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:53 am

From "Titan2" "One potential midfielder who hasn't been talked about from the Reserves who you'd think should be putting his hand up for senior selection this year is Neumann. Is he up to it ?"

Have also been following Will Neumann. His first year at reserves level his disposal was poor, but last year I thought he improved in this area, still not good enough for league level.
What I have been most impressed with this pre-season, is the changed body shape of Will, looks like he has been putting in a lot of hard work. This might be the first pre-season he has been able to have a good crack. Previously with school and farm work his training was limited. He generally has been able to find the ball, is as strong as an ox but not speedy. He previously won the Lindsay Head Medal for the best under 18. The MOST impressive aspect of his pre-season was that he won the 2km time trial. Will might be able to force his way in to the midfield, we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited by wimpy on Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:44 pm

A concern if Rowland is tried in the midfield again. All he does is bomb the ball every time he gets it. I don’t think he’s best 22 in a good Eagles side unless he turns his form back to that of a few years ago and that has to be in the back six.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:00 pm

I agree Aerie, but he’s in the leadership group?
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:17 pm

Aerie wrote:A concern if Rowland is tried in the midfield again. All he does is bomb the ball every time he gets it. I don’t think he’s best 22 in a good Eagles side unless he turns his form back to that of a few years ago and that has to be in the back six.

I’ll have a very rough guess here new recruits will take his HBF spot . But just a guess
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:18 pm

Headfan wrote:I agree Aerie, but he’s in the leadership group?

Yep I think your correct Headfan
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:33 pm

Aerie, your comment on Rowland " all he does is bomb the ball every time" is a bit harsh. Last season, he mostly played back pocket on the talls ( at 187 cm), not a position where you can show a lot of flair. I agree that last season, his form when he came back from a long injury lay-off wasn't good but the coach must be looking beyond that. Agree that he isn't likely to be a class onballer but an important stopgap tagger and strong in the close.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:09 pm

With nothing happening (rumours, signings etc) now, my aged brain keeps wandering and wondering on useless conversation. Here's one : IMHO, Jackson Mead is a possible delisting at the end of 2024. Would then be taken up by Port's SANFL. What is his attitude towards the Eagles ? Any chance that he would consider joining us? Or is he a rusted-on Port man and join his brother at Port District if he wasn't taken by Port's SANFL.?
Certainly would be a nice addition to 2025 list of possibilities - then, Hardie, Wehr, Mansell, McNeil, Mead.
Two onballers and 3 "run and carry" players in that list ! Complements next season's development of our young or inexperienced "talls" - BrinkerRitchie, Lukac, J Boyd, J Moore, Tom Luck, Charlie West.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:20 pm

Premiers wrote:With nothing happening (rumours, signings etc) now, my aged brain keeps wandering and wondering on useless conversation. Here's one : IMHO, Jackson Mead is a possible delisting at the end of 2024. Would then be taken up by Port's SANFL. What is his attitude towards the Eagles ? Any chance that he would consider joining us?  Or is he a rusted-on Port man and join his brother at Port District if he wasn't taken by Port's SANFL.?
Certainly would be a nice addition to 2025 list of possibilities - then, Hardie, Wehr, Mansell, McNeil, Mead.
Two onballers and 3 "run and carry" players in that list !   Complements next season's development of our young or inexperienced "talls" - BrinkerRitchie, Lukac, J Boyd, J Moore, Tom Luck, Charlie West.
Just to correct u Mitch Mead went to Seaton Ramblers not back to Port Districts.
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:08 am

Yeah Jackson stayed back and went in the eagles club rooms last year after the Port game so caught up with him then.
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:53 am

Our last recruit to arrive Jack Boyd was at training last night. Didn't participate, he is recovering from minor surgery.
The players looked very enthusiastic and were pushed very hard.
The Ottoway Oval looked in the best condition I've seen it.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:29 am

Another player has been invited to train with Fremantle in the hope of securing one of their two SSP positions. Dan McKenzie who played 73 AFL games for St Kilda has now increased the number to four who are going for the two positions, along with Max Beattie, Patrick Voss and Sam van Rooyen.
For the Eagles sake let's hope Max doesn't get picked up.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:56 am

wimpy wrote:Another player has been invited to train with Fremantle in the hope of securing one of their two SSP positions. Dan McKenzie who played 73 AFL games for St Kilda has now increased the number to four who are going for the two positions, along with Max Beattie, Patrick Voss and Sam van Rooyen.

Hope for our sake he doesn’t
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelScott Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:13 pm

Most AFL teams leave a selection open for the mid season draft..was reading that the 2 players fremantle had training with them last year both missed out and they picked someone in the mid season draft.
MichaelScott

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:13 pm

wimpy wrote:Another player has been invited to train with Fremantle in the hope of securing one of their two SSP positions. Dan McKenzie who played 73 AFL games for St Kilda has now increased the number to four who are going for the two positions, along with Max Beattie, Patrick Voss and Sam van Rooyen.

Encouraging for us, not Max, that Fremantle has "spread their net" further because they're not satisfied with the SSP train-on group that they have ? Worse for Max if Dan McKenzie is a small forward ? Sad really, when we're all hoping that Max misses out and returns to us when his ambition is to play AFL. Sorry Max, but like a Mother losing her son, we love you too much to let you go!
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:50 pm

Just seen on Facebook Tompous is playing in Victoria next year
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:55 pm