Mickyj
Premiers
20 posters

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Recruits for Season 2024 - Page 34 Empty Re: Recruits for Season 2024

Post by wimpy Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:20 pm

Headfan wrote:
wimpy wrote:This is what i have heard, trial games at Elizabeth and Noarlunga, an internal at Footy Park and a match against the Crows at Footy Park.
It looks like we will play Westies at home in the first round, then have a gather round bye, then play the Bays at home.

I just think we have to "throw caution to the wind" and just develop a team for the future. I think we should only play the likes of Goldy, Menzel, Firns and Comma if we are desperately down on numbers. We have plenty of youngsters on our list and these players should be played and given experience to form a competitive team for years to come. The coach has to formulate a game plan and style the players want to play.
We cannot afford to keep missing finals. Leadership and enthusiasm is a must.

In 2021, we lost McNeil, Rowe, Nick Hayes, Foote, von Bertouch, Jones, Mansell, Wehr, Lowson (and Seymour who is now a Norwood regular).
Incomers lifted to meet the challenge.
You talk sense wimpy, but I feel we can develop some and play experience to perform well on a weekly basis rather than just use 2024 to “develop a team for the future”. We need to aim high like Winter and Sheedy did.  I think Sauce is the man to do it.
I see a fit Menzel as a starter from the start and Goldy being in the 22 more often than not.
My view.

I'm not against playing Goldy and Menzel they have skill and are goalkickers but I feel they should interchange with each other from the bench. Their ability to remain fit and injury free concerns me. Menzel is poor defensively and can't or won't chase. They would both be in my best 22 but not on the field at the same time. the trouble is they can't support or add to our very thin mid field division. We must improve our mid field and score more goals.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:16 pm

I've seen that next year's fixtures are out next week on South's fb a few minutes ago. I only fohllow the opposition clubs to see what the opposition supporters say about us etc
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:01 pm

Most of the other clubs appear who played finals this season have added to their midfield depth (yes some clubs like North have lost a few decent players so this perhaps balances) but not us.

Given it appears our recruitment is done where and who can we expect to realistically improve and/or step up? Of the established mids probably on D'Aloia might make a big step forward. For the others -

Beecken would appear to have the greatest potential to make an impact, however, has been tried at times across the last 2 years and for whatever reason he just doesn't find the ball. He plays very well at half back so perhaps we should leave him there.

Herbert - he look classy last season and no doubt will further improve. Whether he can become that '25 possession' consistent player might be a step too far at his age. Plus he will miss at least half the season with State U18 duties.

Williams - doesn't have a footy IQ and I don't think has ever had more than 15 possessions in a match. I thought he looked good in the backlines in the last bit of last year so would like to see him develop further and nail down a position.

McFarlane - if he can stay injury free he potentially could be 'new recruit' for us on a wing. I feel like we haven't seen the best of him yet.

I can't think of anyone else on our list from this season who can make the step into the midfield and might be drawing heavily on our new recruit from the Riverina. Can't wait for the new season!

Last edited by Titan2 on Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:17 pm

It was good to see Josh Morris and Jordan Moore out at training tonight.
Two still to arrive.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:00 pm

My adjusted team now Lehmann has left.
Pearce Boyd Rowe
Menzel Ballenden McKay
Herbert Sinor McFarlane
Morris Moore Beecken
Fleeton Thompson Rowland
Brinker-Ritchie d’Aloia Knight
Goldsworthy Nicholls Barkla Litster
Only 4 recognised midfielders (Rowe, Sinor, Knight and d’Aloia). Hope either (or a couple of) Nicholls, Barkla, McFarlane, Herbert or McKay can step up and be the 5th option.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:41 am

Headfan wrote:My adjusted team now Lehmann has left.
Pearce      Boyd       Rowe
Menzel     Ballenden       McKay
Herbert      Sinor        McFarlane
Morris      Moore       Beecken
Fleeton      Thompson    Rowland
Brinker-Ritchie   d’Aloia     Knight
Goldsworthy   Nicholls   Barkla   Litster
Only 4 recognised midfielders (Rowe, Sinor, Knight and d’Aloia).   Hope either (or a couple of) Nicholls, Barkla, McFarlane, Herbert or McKay can step up and be the 5th option.

The lack of midfielder depth is scary. I don't expect Rowe, Sinor, to most of their time in midfield. Herbert may move there.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:07 am

5th Option for a midfielder is Sam Rowland
Sam began his league career aa a midfielder. Performed well as a tough, unheralded extractor of the ball from packs, 22 possession /game max, not a run -and- spread type. We would not want to have him teamed with D'Áloia or Sinor. but put him with the "spreaders" Knight, Rowe or Luke McKay. Also Sam at 188cm gives us another besides DÁloia to match the taller midfielders of other teams. Sam's last season was ravaged by injury and we have forgotten how good a player he is.
Therefore:
Sinor Rowland
DÁloia McKay
Knight Rowe

Nicholls or Goldsworthy to fill Rowe's Forward Pocket when Rowe has his stint as the midfielder.

I agree with Titan - Beecken looked clueless when tried as a midfielder in 3 games last year whereas he dominates at HB
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:14 am

Not a bad post "hawke", I think you are dead right with who you have named as our on ballers. I have mentioned before we appear to have a surfeit of back men and if the club keeps on insisting that Josh Morris will play defence we can afford to run Rowland as a part of the mid field rotation.
I noticed Cameron Fleeton in the second half of last year seemed to find a lot of the ball at halfback, could he be turned in to a mid fielder???
I watched quite a few of the 2km time trials last season and one player that always competed well and was always in the top 5-10 was Will Pearce, he appears to have a better engine than we thought. I could imagine Will getting the ball at a centre throw up, shrugging off tacklers, kicking the ball 70 metres and Jack Boyd marking it.
As an Under 18 Max Litster always played as a mid fielder and had no trouble finding the ball, he should not be just just pigeon holed as a defender.
Josh Morris looks a bit taller than as I remember him as an U18, he has also filled out nicely, could end up being a nice utility player for the team.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:21 am

Only 4 recognised midfielders (Rowe, Sinor, Knight and d’Aloia).   Hope either (or a couple of) Nicholls, Barkla, McFarlane, Herbert or McKay can step up and be the 5th option.
As an addition to my team, the following will all find game thru 2024 - Josh Mawson, Jordan Lukac, Sam Watson, Harry Dawkins, Zac Buck and Zane Williams.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:43 am

Yes, Headfan, in your team if you had Fleeton on the talls then Rowland would have to take the smalls and he's not good at matchups on the likes of Josh Hone etc whereas Mawson, Goldsworthy or Buck would match up better. Like the idea of trying Rowland in the midfield if he's not required at Back Pocket on the TALLS
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:48 am

Whoever put this up thank you I’m enjoying reading everyone’s thoughts and some posters possible teams ,
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:08 am

Pearce is working hard in the gym outside of normal pre-season work which is a good sign, looks very fit. Our second wing person is up for grabs, could be a number of possibles, including the ones named plus potentially Barkla. Our games this year could be like a game of soccer where the score is nil all at the end of the game. No one will score against our stacked defence but we won't get it past half forward! I jest.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:30 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:

The lack of midfielder depth is scary. I don't expect Rowe, Sinor, to most of their time in midfield. Herbert may move there.

I feel like we have a sufficient number of inside midfielders but a gaping hole when it comes to outside midfielders.

Given this, I can't imagine that our gameplan for the upcoming season will be one of dash and carry but rather a brand of dour, congested football with lots of stoppages.

We can only work with what we've got.

One potential midfielder who hasn't been talked about from the Reserves who you'd think should be putting his hand up for senior selection this year is Neumann. Is he up to it ?
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:07 pm

Titan2 wrote:
Goddsy11 wrote:

I feel like we have a sufficient number of inside midfielders but a gaping hole when it comes to outside midfielders.

Given this, I can't imagine that our gameplan for the upcoming season will be one of dash and carry but rather a brand of dour, congested football with lots of stoppages.

We can only work with what we've got.

One potential midfielder who hasn't been talked about from the Reserves who you'd think should be putting his hand up for senior selection this year is Neumann. Is he up to it ?

Neumann can certainly play but my observation is that he burns the ball a bit. Would like to see more of him early in the season and whether he has developed his game and skills in the off-season.

The other "smokey" for this year is Callum Fairall. Lightly built but he has speed and skill and he could potentially play on one of the wings. Also Noah Angove, he played a fantastic game in the Reserves late in the season but rolled his ankle in the third quarter (still got best for us) and missed a couple of weeks, may have played in our Prelim Final, had too many consoling beers since then to remember for sure. We need a couple of these guys to take the next step in 2024 and become regular league footballers who impose themselves on the game.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:41 pm

Headfan wrote:
As an addition to my team, the following will all find game thru 2024 - Josh Mawson, Jordan Lukac, Sam Watson, Harry Dawkins, Zac Buck and Zane Williams.

Watson is Jay not Sam 
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:03 pm

Is Siney still with the Club? Looked a very balanced mover with good skills but in the "heat of battle", he didn't do much. However, he gave the impression that with a little luck leading to self-belief, he could blossom into a very good footballer (a la Jakob Wehr).
Ironical, that Kai Pudney might find it harder to get into the starting line up of Centrals than that of the Eagles.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:15 pm

Noticed that exEagle 206cm Henry Smith has had his contract extended by Brisbane Lions to the end of 2026 so that snuffs out that future hope.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:18 pm

Premiers wrote:Is Siney still with the Club? Looked a very balanced mover with good skills but in the "heat of battle", he didn't do much. However, he gave the impression that with a little luck leading to self-belief, he could blossom into a very good footballer (a la Jakob Wehr).
Ironical, that Kai Pudney might find it harder to get into the starting line up of Centrals than that of the Eagles.
He was another player training for a place on the list he told me at cc.
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheedsb2b Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:13 pm

There is a few under 18s that are to old for 18s
Darcy Hudson
Isaac Niemann
Callum fairall
Jayden Haley
Josh capogreco
Not sure if there is more
Sheedsb2b
Sheedsb2b

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:28 pm

Sheedsb2b wrote:There is a few under 18s that are to old for 18s
Darcy Hudson
Isaac Niemann
Callum fairall
Jayden Haley
Josh capogreco
Not sure if there is more
Add Toole and Mair to that list maybe other's too. Oscar Pearce and maybe Jordy Tilbrook if Jordy is still around at Eagles someone would know for sure. Kodey Hansen in Blake's brother if he's still at Eagles.
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheedsb2b Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:36 pm

Yes those all are to old except for kodey I am preety sure
Sheedsb2b
Sheedsb2b

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:26 am

Sheedsb2b wrote:Yes those all are to old except for kodey I am preety sure
No there is just over a year different between Blake and him as Kody finished year 12 this year
If u search Eagles under 18's in google nothing but that it comes up with under 18's list from since the under 16's premiership year so dob etc still there
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:13 am

https://wwtfc.com.au/centre-of-excellence/under-18 this would give u a idea of the lads that are under 18's though some have gone and some. Still at the club
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:30 am

Just saw on SA footy centrals picked up 2 young tall rucks .
I guess they are an age they could be taken by the AFL
And I recall seeing from our club maybe Sam they don’t want players that could go off to the AFL . We’ve been burned before .
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:02 am

Mickyj wrote:Just saw on SA footy centrals picked up 2 young tall rucks .
I guess they are an age they could be taken by the AFL
And I recall seeing from our club maybe Sam they don’t want players that could go off to the AFL . We’ve been burned before .

Wasn't it only 1 and a ruck coach. He is 19. I would think an AFL club would pick a ruckman in his early 20's with some good form behind him.
Ruckman are not high priority nowadays as high picks. I think it's a top move by Centrals.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next