Mickyj
Premiers
20 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Recruits for Season 2024 - Page 12 Empty Re: Recruits for Season 2024

Post by Titan2 Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:23 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:
wimpy wrote:"hawke" great to see you posting again, always enjoy your left of centre thoughts.
It will be interesting see where the club plays Welsh, Luck, West and Herbert as they are still eligible for U18s. Also I heard Bickley say that F/S rules had changed and that Tyler Welsh could possibly spend the whole year at the Crows, I would be absolutely filthy if this happens. This is more AFL bullshit and again they're crapping on lesser leagues.

I would hope in the long run we could use Hardies' stay at Geelong as beneficial to our club in regards to possible recruits.
Is that an AFL rule or SANFL rule Wimpy. That could impact WWT for other players then. Burgoyne to PA. Is SANFL rule we should complain in the strongest of terms.
If AFL there are a few lads at other clubs that it affects. We need to get some answers from our board on what is going on.

I don't know enough about this rule.

If the prospective father-son recruit is taken from their home SANFL side to play with the Crows/Power Reserves for the season does that mean that their Crows/Power have guranteed that player that they will be drafted? Or just that they want to take a closer look at the player within their system but are not guranteeing they will draft them.

It should be prohibited if the latter.

If the former then it is a little annoying that we may lose someone like Welsh. But honestly, is there much point in hanging onto them and playing them when we will only have them for one year? Obviously if they are ready to be solid contributors in the league team we'd want to hold them. But if not, then we'd be unlikely to miss them and they wouldn't really be making much contribution to the club. And they'd be taking spots from some other kid who may be a longer term prospect. My whole objection against the Crows/Power plucking our juniors in this way was if they are ready to perform at league level and play really well against us. Is Welsh ready to be a contributor at League level? Jury is out. He played well at U18s last season but the times I saw him in the Reserves he really struggled at that higher level. Going to League next season will be a challenge.

I hope Welsh goes well but we are only likely to hold him for 12 month tops. I'm more interested in Luck and West. Both of them show a lot of potential to be very good players. But both are probably lower profile then Welsh and no guarantee to be drafted at the end of next year. Hence these two may be with the Eagles so keener to give these blokes the opportunities.

Last edited by Titan2 on Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:31 pm

Titan2 wrote:
Goddsy11 wrote:
wimpy wrote:"hawke" great to see you posting again, always enjoy your left of centre thoughts.
It will be interesting see where the club plays Welsh, Luck, West and Herbert as they are still eligible for U18s. Also I heard Bickley say that F/S rules had changed and that Tyler Welsh could possibly spend the whole year at the Crows, I would be absolutely filthy if this happens. This is more AFL bullshit and again they're crapping on lesser leagues.

I would hope in the long run we could use Hardies' stay at Geelong as beneficial to our club in regards to possible recruits.
Is that an AFL rule or SANFL rule Wimpy. That could impact WWT for other players then. Burgoyne to PA. Is SANFL rule we should complain in the strongest of terms.
If AFL there are a few lads at other clubs that it affects. We need to get some answers from our board on what is going on.

If the prospective father-son recruit is taken from their home SANFL side to play with the Crows/Power Reserves for the season does that mean that their Crows/Power have guranteed that player that they will be drafted? Or just that they want to take a closer look at the player within their system but are not guranteeing they will draft them.

If the former then it is a little annoying that we may lose someone like Welsh. But honestly, is there much point in hanging onto them and playing them when we will only have them for one year? Obviously if they are ready to be solid contributors in the league team we'd want to hold them. But if not, then we'd be unlikely to miss them and they wouldn't really be making much contribution to the club. And they'd be taking spots from some other kid who may be a longer term prospect. My whole objection against the Crows/Power plucking our juniors in this way was if they are ready to perform at league level and play really well against us. Is Welsh ready to be a contributor at League level? Jury is out. He played well at U18s last season but the times I saw him in the Reserves he really struggled at that higher level. Going to League next season will be a challenge.

I hope Welsh goes well but we are only likely to hold him for 12 month tops. I'm more interested in Luck and West. Both of them show a lot of potential to be very good players. But both are probably lower profile then Welsh and no guarantee to be drafted at the end of next year. Hence these two may be with the Eagles so keener to give these blokes the opportunities.
I’d like to know if we lose players to the AFL seconds sides what do we as the football club that loses them get back ? Do we get money we certainly can’t be given a player in return 
I think under the current system they pay us a licence fee for having them play
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:35 pm

Ok I’m Headfan wrote:

Hi Wimpy.  Recruits from Geelong! More like the other way!  I know there’s been a few. I’m sick of Geelong ravaging Eagles players!
Headfan I think to much Hardie got signed back to the Geelong list I wonder if we’ve approached Flynn Kroeger ( spelling might be wrong ) see if we can bring the 20 year old to oval ave
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:07 pm

Titan2 wrote:
Goddsy11 wrote:

It should be prohibited if the latter.

Well, my take is he is a WWT player and would require a clearance to go. I am pissed by this if it happens. As a WWT member since the club has started and a WT member many years before and If we let him play anywhere else, last season's membership will be my last at the club. I feel that strongly. Welsh will be a top 10 draft pick for  '24 and even as a Crows supporter, I am happy for that to happen but not next season, WWT is my 1st like. We receive no compo on draft picks and have been plundered year after year. The AFL can go and take a giant leap.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:17 pm

In previous years the Burgoynes and Nathan Barkala have had their four game stints at the power/SANFL team. But I'm pretty sure that has now been changed according to Bickley. I will try and get clarification on it. I think the kid has a choice of where to play. He is not even drafted or contracted to the Crows so it just shouldn't happen. I don't blame our club, blame the AFL and the crows and power.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:32 pm

wimpy wrote:In previous years the Burgoynes and Nathan Barkala have had their four game stints at the power/SANFL team. But I'm pretty sure that has now been changed according to Bickley. I will try and get clarification on it. I think the kid has a choice of where to play. He is not even drafted or contracted to the Crows so it just shouldn't happen. I don't blame our club, blame the AFL and the crows and power.

I though I recall an article on this a few years where it came up and the view (particularly with respect to Barkla) was that the Club thought he'd be unlikely to get a senior game at the time so were more than happy for him to play with the Power.

Under such circumstances I tend to agree and don't really mind them transferring - but only if the Eagles agree.

If the kid is a solid chance of playing good senior footy - like Lachy Jones was - then I am dead against this being an option.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:34 pm

For example - if Herbert was a prospective father-son then the Crows/Power should have no right to be able to claim him given Herbert has strong potential to be a regular league footy player next season
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:22 pm

wimpy wrote:In previous years the Burgoynes and Nathan Barkala have had their four game stints at the power/SANFL team. But I'm pretty sure that has now been changed according to Bickley. I will try and get clarification on it. I think the kid has a choice of where to play. He is not even drafted or contracted to the Crows so it just shouldn't happen. I don't blame our club, blame the AFL and the crows and power.

Surely the SANFL is the major stakeholder in their own competition and WWT should complain to it all they can.I hope all the clubs back them up. We are the members that WWT reports to not the AFL.
We lost Mitch Hardie mid season with no compo.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:17 pm

But I understand we got an apology...how king of Geelong
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:39 pm

I was of the thought that Welsh could play for the Crows Reserves if he and the Crows wished, full time. If they plan on drafting him, it would make sense for him to spend the season there. I don't think the Eagles would get much of a say, besides trying to convince Welsh he'd be better off staying at the Eagles if we really thought he'd make a difference to our league side this year.

Also, re our midfielders, I think Sinor and Rowe are top tier and Knight just behind them. Need to add some speed and penetration to the mix!
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:17 pm

Aerie wrote:I was of the thought that Welsh could play for the Crows Reserves if he and the Crows wished, full time. If they plan on drafting him, it would make sense for him to spend the season there. I don't think the Eagles would get much of a say, besides trying to convince Welsh he'd be better off staying at the Eagles if we really thought he'd make a difference to our league side this year.

Also, re our midfielders, I think Sinor and Rowe are top tier and Knight just behind them. Need to add some speed and penetration to the mix!
 Good comments Aerie 
I agree with your comments on the midfield. 
We need so much up forward to totally not need Rowe there imho
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:46 pm

Mickyj wrote:
Aerie wrote:I was of the thought that Welsh could play for the Crows Reserves if he and the Crows wished, full time. If they plan on drafting him, it would make sense for him to spend the season there. I don't think the Eagles would get much of a say, besides trying to convince Welsh he'd be better off staying at the Eagles if we really thought he'd make a difference to our league side this year.

Good comments Aerie 

Yes, I think that was Sheedy's thoughts also. When Hardie was playing, Rowe hardly played midfield at all. When Hardie went to Geelong, Rowe stepped in. It might've cost Rowe a Magarey Medal, and likewise Hardie.

Hopefully Troy Menzel has a big season and remains injury free. If Ballenden can produce the same again and natural improvement from Pearce. Then need another big up forward to become league standard, whether that be Cooke, Lukac, Welsh or Weckert or a recruit. Buck and Nicholls with manic pressure.

Does Zane Williams start where he left off as a half back flanker? Would love to see his fitness/effort improve to match his class with ball in hand. He could be more influential up forward or in the midfield, but needs ball in hand and if that is at half back, then so be it.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:51 pm

If Welsh was likely to be the player who lifts us into a GF then we could feel dudded (again). But that is unlikely to happen when he struggled with a brief (?2 games) in the Seconds. In the 3 U18 minor round games that I saw, Charlie West was more impressive but that is not suggesting that Charlie is a better prospect than Welsh.  Both have got a lot to learn. Welsh, with the hype of the "father-son" thing (and undoubted talent) is AFL bound. Tom Luck and Charlie West may not be.
So if Tyler Welsh's future is best served by playing next season with the Crows, let him go. Then WWTFC can concentrate on developing the youngsters who may serve the Club a little longer.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:01 pm

hawke wrote:If Welsh was likely to be the player who lifts us into a GF then we could feel dudded (again). But that is unlikely to happen when he struggled with a brief (?2 games) in the Seconds. In the 3 U18 minor round games that I saw, Charlie West was more impressive but that is not suggesting that Charlie is a better prospect than Welsh.  Both have got a lot to learn. Welsh, with the hype of the "father-son" thing (and undoubted talent) is AFL bound. Tom Luck and Charlie West may not be.
So if Tyler Welsh's future is best served by playing next season with the Crows, let him go. Then WWTFC can concentrate on developing the youngsters who may serve the Club a little longer.

100% agree.

I feel Welsh and West would be competing for the one spot. Would rather concentrate on West given Welsh will be picked up by the Crows next year regardless what happens with his form.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:19 pm

Titan,
I see Welsh as a medium size (190cm) forward pocket, possibly HF flank although his speed may be tested. Too short for a key position.
Whereas Charlie West, at 195cm and 94kg (and that's last season, so at 17 the kid's still growing) quick for a big lad, jumps and "clunks" pack marks and has a "bit of mongrel" in him. Not as good with agility, lateral movement and ground balls as Tyler Welsh but still on a par with guys his strength.

So I respectfully disagree with you - they would not be vying for the same position.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:31 pm

Aerie wrote:
Mickyj wrote:

Good comments Aerie 

Yes, I think that was Sheedy's thoughts also. When Hardie was playing, Rowe hardly played midfield at all. When Hardie went to Geelong, Rowe stepped in. It might've cost Rowe a Magarey Medal, and likewise Hardie.

Hopefully Troy Menzel has a big season and remains injury free. If Ballenden can produce the same again and natural improvement from Pearce. Then need another big up forward to become league standard, whether that be Cooke, Lukac, Welsh or Weckert or a recruit. Buck and Nicholls with manic pressure.

Does Zane Williams start where he left off as a half back flanker? Would love to see his fitness/effort improve to match his class with ball in hand. He could be more influential up forward or in the midfield, but needs ball in hand and if that is at half back, then so be it.

Great points again Aerie 
Guess we need to see what fitness regime Sam implements. 
Honestly he’s a full time coach that could work for us this year his mind just on the footy 
No offence to Sheedy he won back to back flags
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:18 pm

Williams needs to improve in a number of areas to be a consistent player. Bucky has a big heart but lacks leg speed and kicking a distance (his goal at Woodville Oval excepted). Weckert had a woeful season. Dawkins put a few good games together. Nicholls shows a lot of promise and guts for a small. Comma is just a bit short of A-Grade (even tho he has a Premiership Medal). Watson a bit inconsistent in his few games and can’t kick a distance. Will Pearce can be top-notch. Good hands and exciting to watch. Herbert showed himself to have a great future (Geelong keep your grubby hands off!). Max Beattie is a very good player. (Hope we can hold him). Troy Menzel can be a match winner. Josh Mawson is proving to be a winner and can mark a ball. Sladojevic has strong hands but never consistent. Max Litster is a reliable defender. D’ Aloia is a gem.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:18 am

To lighten the mood, my pick of our possibly best "Öctober" team.

Assumptions: that we recruit a CHF (call him B1)
                    that we recruit a CHB  (call him D1), a ruckman who can mark around the ground (R1), Morris and McPherson.

Then
FF  T Menzel Ballenden Knight/Rowe

HF Morris      B1             Pearce

CC Herbert    Sinor         Beattie

HB  Beecken   D1          McPherson

BB  Lehmann  Thompson   Mawson

!R   Brinker-Ritchie, Knight, McKay
2R      R1, DÁloia', Rowe

Res   R1,  DÁloia, Williams, Rowland

This side is a much taller team yet retains run. Onballers Rowe and Knight changing in the forward pocket gives our forward line some potency especially with newcomers Morris and B1 (Wimpy keep quiet about B1). Only problem is that we are one midfielder short - any salary cap left for recruiting one. Also making the assumption that new recruit McKay is pretty good when he might be average. Would have loved to have him on the HB flank where his booming kick along with Beecken would set up forward plays. (S.O.S to Tsitas maybe)

Anyway, tear it apart. Your thoughts?
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:26 am

hawke wrote:To lighten the mood, my pick of our possibly best "Öctober" team.

that we recruit a CHB  (call him D1), a ruckman who can mark around the ground (R1), Morris and McPherson.

Then

This side is a much taller team yet retains run. Onballers Rowe and Knight changing in the forward pocket gives our forward line some potency especially with newcomers Morris and B1 (Wimpy keep quiet about B1). Only problem is that we are one midfielder short - any salary cap left for recruiting one. Also making the assumption that new recruit McKay is pretty good when he might be average. Would have loved to have him on the HB flank where his booming kick along with Beecken would set up forward plays. (S.O.S to Tsitas maybe)

I like it can we find a place for Hill from the seconds assuming he’s still with us 
Long kicking wins games from HB or wing
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:04 am

Then

Did you forget Litster, Macfarlane, Buck and Goldy or are you suggesting at full strength that they aren't in our best squad?

Weckert, Lukac and Cooke are the wildcards. Not in our best squad based on last seasons form but all with potential to really improve over Summer and be in the frame for selection with a good pre-season.

Others include Comma and Firns but it's doubtful if they can improve to the level required and we'd be in trouble if these blokes are anything beyond depth players?
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:07 am

Mickyj wrote:

I like it can we find a place for Hill from the seconds assuming he’s still with us 
Long kicking wins games from HB or wing[/quote]

Who is Hill? Surely you aren't referring to Tyran Hill? Micky, he barely was getting more than a handful of possessions in the reserves most weeks and was struggling at that grade. What makes you think he would be pressing for a spot in the league ?
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:54 am

Good stuff Hawke, always fun speculating at this time.

Beecken really stepped up last year and finished playing some time on the ball. Could he, as a tall runner and maybe McPherson, with a big body, play some midfield time?

Dawkins was impressive down back and Litster is reliable and another who should improve with another pre-season under the belt.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:16 am

Titan2 wrote:

Then

Did you forget Litster, Macfarlane, Buck and Goldy or are you suggesting at full strength that they aren't in our best squad?

Weckert, Lukac and Cooke are the wildcards. Not in our best squad based on last seasons form but all with potential to really improve over Summer and be in the frame for selection with a good pre-season.

Others include Comma and Firns but it's doubtful if they can improve to the level required and we'd be in trouble if these blokes are anything beyond depth players?

I am not writing off Welsh playing at this stage. The club would have rock in its head if it gave him a free pass to the AC.
McPherson has not had an injury free season in 6 years. I would not have him as a priority signing although his best is very good.
Litster, Macfarlane, Buc have to be in the picture. Goldy may retire imho.

Weckert I believe will be rookied in the AFL somewhere. Probably PA. If not, he has a massive upside. Dont forget only 18yo.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:18 am

Titan2 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:

Long kicking wins games from HB or wing

Who is Hill? Surely you aren't referring to Tyran Hill? Micky, he barely was getting more than a handful of possessions in the reserves most weeks and was struggling at that grade. What makes you think he would be pressing for a spot in the league ?[/quote]

I’m being old Titan recalling his grandfather it’s just a thought 
We need to improve on last year
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:58 am

Hi hawke. Good early side.
I consider McFarlane is in our league team IF he’s overcome his injuries AND has a good preseason.
Litster is in depending on strength of other players.
Regarding our best team man, best Club man and superb goal kicker, I think Goldsworthy would retire if not promised a league slot.
For my part, Williams has not delivered on his early promise and will need a great combative preseason to be a contender. There’s no room for intermittent contenders.
Is Morris a walk-up starter? He’s described as injury-plagued: maybe he’s over all that.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next