Headfan
Mickyj
Premiers
20 posters

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Recruits for Season 2024 - Page 7 Empty Re: Recruits for Season 2024

Post by MichaelScott Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:14 pm

Titan2 wrote:The ideal recruit is 20-22 years old, formerly in the U18 system and made the state squad but never drafted. They have gone to some reasonable country league and have been playing seniors for a few years. This is because:

- They have that desire to put in 100% effort because most have the dream to play AFL or to at least win premierships at the highest level they can.
- They clearly had the skill as a junior so it’s about coaching them to the level needed to release it.
- At age 20-22 they should have put on a bit of size and should be physically ready to match it in a strong league and make an immediate impact.
- They are don’t command heaps of salary cap because they aren’t proven players.
- They are easier to find jobs for at that age as they don’t seek as big as salary because they are only starting their careers or are at university

I can’t think of a single ex-AFL player that the eagles have recruited who wasn’t a former eagle junior who was any good or has stayed with us longer than a single year.

Simply put – unless the ex-AFL were former club juniors they are not worth pursuing

Thought you weren't inteested in ex eagles afl players
MichaelScott

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:42 pm

MichaelScott wrote:
Titan2 wrote:The ideal recruit is 20-22 years old, formerly in the U18 system and made the state squad but never drafted. They have gone to some reasonable country league and have been playing seniors for a few years. This is because:

- They have that desire to put in 100% effort because most have the dream to play AFL or to at least win premierships at the highest level they can.
- They clearly had the skill as a junior so it’s about coaching them to the level needed to release it.
- At age 20-22 they should have put on a bit of size and should be physically ready to match it in a strong league and make an immediate impact.
- They are don’t command heaps of salary cap because they aren’t proven players.
- They are easier to find jobs for at that age as they don’t seek as big as salary because they are only starting their careers or are at university

I can’t think of a single ex-AFL player that the eagles have recruited who wasn’t a former eagle junior who was any good or has stayed with us longer than a single year.

Simply put – unless the ex-AFL were former club juniors they are not worth pursuing

Michael and Titan 
Honestly we won’t know for sure who the club has chased and whose said yes until they announce it 

But it’s nice for us to talk about what we think we are chasing
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:13 pm

I think you are around the mark with the types of players. Guys like Powell, Colville, Hardie, Mawson, Beattie, Mansell, Lehmann, McFarlane, Brinker-Ritchie.

As for those that have been ex AFL that weren't ours - Jesse Lonergan, Clay Cameron have been 4 and 3 years and both played key role in both and one of the flags, certainly more misses than hits over the years probably (Toia, Collier Dawkins, O'Brien, Clarke even Mutch despite him getting a flag)
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:04 pm

MichaelScott wrote:

I never said that.

I said the club's recruiting should prioritise based on needs rather than focussing on trying to recruit ex eagle AFL players who play in positions that we aren't desperately seeking (because we may not have the $$ to recruit them all) .

For example, if there is a possibility of recruiting a couple of tall forwards and key defenders with no previous links to the eagles or recruiting back ex-Eagle AFL players Morris or Macpherson  then the club needs to recruit the former as this is the obvious gap in our squad.

Once we fill our needs then it would be fantastic if we could get back Morris and Macpherson
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:27 pm

[/quote]

I think you are around the mark with the types of players. Guys like Powell, Colville, Hardie, Mawson, Beattie, Mansell, Lehmann, McFarlane, Brinker-Ritchie.

As for those that have been ex AFL that weren't ours - Jesse Lonergan, Clay Cameron have been 4 and 3 years and both played key role in both and one of the flags, certainly more misses than hits over the years probably (Toia, Collier Dawkins, O'Brien, Clarke even Mutch despite him getting a flag)[/quote]

Lonergan and Cameron have been amongst the few ex-AFL players to our club (but non-Eagles) who have bothered sticking around the club more than a few years when despite the unlikeliness that they'd be redrafted given neither of them have dominated in their time here. Lonergan in particular has proven to be quite a loyal clubman.

Luke Toia.....that's a name I haven't thought of in a while. Was that early 90s? I remember big things were expected of him given his resume but for some reason he just didn't deliver and eventually left the club to go to North Adelaide if I recall?

This has made me think a bit harder of other ex-AFL players (non-eagles) who we have recruited over the club's history.

Ben Schwarze – did we get him from North Melb? I seem to recall he was a handy player during his short time with us and on occasion formed part of a decent forward line around the time Salter (I think) was kicking goals for us. But from memory he was very inaccurate kick at goal for us and had a bit of an attitude problem? Another player I believe who left us for North Adelaide where he became a consistent goal kicker.

Marty Christensen – this is going way back to the mid-late 90s but did we get him from Geelong when he was a year or two from retirement? He may have played in country league for a season or two before coming to us. I think he was a decent player in the single year he was with us and a very good kick. Did he previously have some link to West Torrens??

John McCarthy – He played with Nth Melb and Fitzroy but can’t remember whether we recruited him directly following his delisting from AFL or whether he played in a State league for a bit before coming to us? He was an extremely useful player in the 3 years or so he was with us. Versatile and able to play forward and back. I think his best season might have been in 2000 when he played most of the year as a permanent defender. I felt towards the end of his career with us Fuller seemed to be quite harsh on him and involved unwarranted dropping despite his form being okay. From memory he spat the dummy and walked out of the club after this?
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:31 pm

Connor Ballenden played 3 games for Brisbane Lions and is proving to be loyal to the Eagles. He’s only 24 too! I’m sure there are others in past years.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:52 pm

Headfan wrote:Connor Ballenden played 3 games for Brisbane Lions and is proving to be loyal to the Eagles. He’s only 24 too!  I’m sure there are others in past years.

Is the common thread here that if we recruit ex-AFL players makes sure they come from Queensland clubs?
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:52 pm

As for those that have been ex AFL that weren't ours - Jesse Lonergan, Clay Cameron have been 4 and 3 years and both played key role in both and one of the flags, certainly more misses than hits over the years probably (Toia, Collier Dawkins, O'Brien, Clarke even Mutch despite him getting a flag)[/quote]

Lonergan and Cameron have been amongst the few ex-AFL players to our club (but non-Eagles) who have bothered sticking around the club more than a few years when despite the unlikeliness that they'd be redrafted given neither of them have dominated in their time here. Lonergan in particular has proven to be quite a loyal clubman.

Luke Toia.....that's a name I haven't thought of in a while. Was that early 90s? I remember big things were expected of him given his resume but for some reason he just didn't deliver and eventually left the club to go to North Adelaide if I recall?

This has made me think a bit harder of other ex-AFL players (non-eagles) who we have recruited over the club's history.

Ben Schwarze – did we get him from North Melb? I seem to recall he was a handy player during his short time with us and on occasion formed part of a decent forward line around the time Salter (I think) was kicking goals for us. But from memory he was very inaccurate kick at goal for us and had a bit of an attitude problem? Another player I believe who left us for North Adelaide where he became a consistent goal kicker.  

Marty Christensen – this is going way back to the mid-late 90s but did we get him from Geelong when he was a year or two from retirement? He may have played in country league for a season or two before coming to us. I think he was a decent player in the single year he was with us and a very good kick. Did he previously have some link to West Torrens??

John McCarthy – He played with Nth Melb and Fitzroy but can’t remember whether we recruited him directly following his delisting from AFL or whether he played in a State league for a bit before coming to us? He was an extremely useful player in the 3 years or so he was with us. Versatile and able to play forward and back. I think his best season might have been in 2000 when he played most of the year as a permanent defender. I felt towards the end of his career with us Fuller seemed to be quite harsh on him and involved unwarranted dropping despite his form being okay. From memory he spat the dummy and walked out of the club after this?
[/quote]

Have you been drinking.
Laughing Laughing
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:31 pm

Marty Christensen’s brother Damien played for Torrens. Marty coached the 2000 Reserves Premiership before returning to Victoria.

Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:49 pm

Brent Frewin played 2 games for Fitzroy in their last year in the AFL and then served us well for over 100 games.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:00 am

I remember him. He was a solid, reliable player...a defender? CH back?
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:46 am

To whybother wrote:I remember him. He was a solid, reliable player...a defender? CH back?
Yep think so
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Recruits for Season 2024 - Page 7 Empty Frewen

Post by Gazz Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:06 pm

Correct, Frewen CHB and Hall FB
Gazz
Gazz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazz Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:07 pm

Sorry wrong thread!
Gazz
Gazz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazz Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:10 pm

Right one after all just confused myself-easily done
Gazz
Gazz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:35 pm

Gazz wrote:Right one after all  just confused myself-easily done
Welcome to my world Gazz
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:51 pm

A few Eagles supporters have been smoking something. Silly season I suppose.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:55 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:A few Eagles supporters have been smoking something. Silly season I suppose.
😂😂😂
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:45 pm

This is a reverse post. I see that we didn't have many in the sanfl combine draft trials. So maybe tha afl will leave us alone for a while.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:30 pm

whybother wrote:This is a reverse post. I see that we didn't have many in the sanfl combine draft trials. So maybe tha afl will leave us alone for a while.
Hopefully
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:31 pm

whybother wrote:This is a reverse post. I see that we didn't have many in the sanfl combine draft trials. So maybe tha afl will leave us alone for a while.

Not surprised. We did finish 8th after all!
No outstanding young talent there. Maybe Kade Herbert, Adam D’Aloia.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:08 am

SA HOPEFULS IN DRAFT PUSH

Some of South Australia’s top draft hopefuls showed their wares for recruiters at the state combine on Saturday. For the first time, aspiring AFLW players took part with the boys as they underwent running, agility and jumping tests at Nazareth College, then a 2km time trial in Salisbury. Whereas last week’s national AFL combine featured SA’s most highlytouted male prospects, Saturday gave recruiters a glimpse at possible diamonds in the rough. Players to be nominated by at least five clubs headed to Melbourne, while those with three or four tested locally. Here are some of the key take-outs of the day: NN Former state under-19 fast bowler Patrick Weckert hopes his high “upside” boosts his draft prospects. Weckert, a 194cm, 90kg key forward from Woodville-West Torrens, has not undertaken a full football pre-season having been heavily involved in cricket. He turned heads in 2022 when he kicked 8.1 against North Adelaide in a reserves game – his first in the seniors – at the age of 17. This year, he played three league matches and booted five goals in a reserves semi-final win over Central District. Four clubs – Port Adelaide, Collingwood, Richmond and West Coast – were understood to have shown interest in Weckert, who received a late invitation to test on Saturday. “At the start of the season it probably wasn’t clicking for me,” Weckert said. “I probably hadn’t had the best preparation for the season with my cricket and not really having much of a pre-season … I only joined in January. “But towards the back end going into finals I felt like things were starting to click.”

Weckert is returning to work on his family’s sheep and crop farm, near Koolunga in the mid-north, to help his dad and uncle in the lead-up to the draft. NN North Adelaide midfielder Jed Dignan, Sturt speedster Loch Rawlinson, Norwood defender Logan Evans, Double Blues backman Alex Holt and Weckert are considered the likeliest of the male attendees to be drafted. Rawlinson caught the eye of AFL talent guru Kevin Sheehan after a 2.89sec 20m sprint on Saturday. “He looked quick and he does play quick, too,” Sheehan said. “He’s a fall-of-the-ball player up forward, a thumping long kick and that little X-factor with his speed gives him a chance.” Key defender Henry Maerschel, who beat teammate Luca Slade to win the boys’ 2km time trial, was also one to keep an eye on. Hawthorn father-son prospect Will McCabe, a key defender from Central District, looms as SA’s likely top selection. McCabe tested in Melbourne last week. NN Magarey Medallist Harry Grant cancelled a holiday to Cairns after receiving a late call-up to test the day before he was due to fly. Grant, who was the oldest combine participant on Saturday, aged 22, had been back training and eating well since getting the invite a few weeks ago. The Central District midfielder had not spoken to any AFL clubs before he tested but believed he could step up to the next level if he was given an opportunity. “I know my work ethic and training standards will make me become a good player,” Grant said. “I love footy … so to work as an AFL footballer is the dream for me.” Grant, who stood 173cm and 79kg, finished third in the 2km time trial.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:33 am

Rhyan Mansell signed a new one-year deal with Richmond. He played 17 AFL games this year and kicked 10 goals.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:49 am

Goddsy11 wrote:SA HOPEFULS IN DRAFT PUSH

Some of South Australia’s top draft hopefuls showed their wares for recruiters at the state combine on Saturday. For the first time, aspiring AFLW players took part with the boys as they underwent running, agility and jumping tests at Nazareth College, then a 2km time trial in Salisbury. Whereas last week’s national AFL combine featured SA’s most highlytouted male prospects, Saturday gave recruiters a glimpse at possible diamonds in the rough. Players to be nominated by at least five clubs headed to Melbourne, while those with three or four tested locally. Here are some of the key take-outs of the day: NN Former state under-19 fast bowler Patrick Weckert hopes his high “upside” boosts his draft prospects. Weckert, a 194cm, 90kg key forward from Woodville-West Torrens, has not undertaken a full football pre-season having been heavily involved in cricket. He turned heads in 2022 when he kicked 8.1 against North Adelaide in a reserves game – his first in the seniors – at the age of 17. This year, he played three league matches and booted five goals in a reserves semi-final win over Central District. Four clubs – Port Adelaide, Collingwood, Richmond and West Coast – were understood to have shown interest in Weckert, who received a late invitation to test on Saturday. “At the start of the season it probably wasn’t clicking for me,” Weckert said. “I probably hadn’t had the best preparation for the season with my cricket and not really having much of a pre-season … I only joined in January. “But towards the back end going into finals I felt like things were starting to click.”  

Weckert is returning to work on his family’s sheep and crop farm, near Koolunga in the mid-north, to help his dad and uncle in the lead-up to the draft. NN North Adelaide midfielder Jed Dignan, Sturt speedster Loch Rawlinson, Norwood defender Logan Evans, Double Blues backman Alex Holt and Weckert are considered the likeliest of the male attendees to be drafted. Rawlinson caught the eye of AFL talent guru Kevin Sheehan after a 2.89sec 20m sprint on Saturday. “He looked quick and he does play quick, too,” Sheehan said. “He’s a fall-of-the-ball player up forward, a thumping long kick and that little X-factor with his speed gives him a chance.” Key defender Henry Maerschel, who beat teammate Luca Slade to win the boys’ 2km time trial, was also one to keep an eye on. Hawthorn father-son prospect Will McCabe, a key defender from Central District, looms as SA’s likely top selection. McCabe tested in Melbourne last week. NN Magarey Medallist Harry Grant cancelled a holiday to Cairns after receiving a late call-up to test the day before he was due to fly. Grant, who was the oldest combine participant on Saturday, aged 22, had been back training and eating well since getting the invite a few weeks ago. The Central District midfielder had not spoken to any AFL clubs before he tested but believed he could step up to the next level if he was given an opportunity. “I know my work ethic and training standards will make me become a good player,” Grant said. “I love footy … so to work as an AFL footballer is the dream for me.” Grant, who stood 173cm and 79kg, finished third in the 2km time trial.
So Weckert does have interest . So the talk he’d stop playing cricket must be correct 
Thanks Goddsy
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:50 am

Headfan wrote:Rhyan Mansell signed a new one-year deal with Richmond.  He played 17 AFL games this year and kicked 10 goals.
Guess one reason Jacobs and the club president have said no to AFL players sticking to youngsters 
We will have to wait and see
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next