Headfan
Mickyj
Premiers
20 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Recruits for Season 2024 - Page 6 Empty Re: Recruits for Season 2024

Post by Mickyj Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:40 am

Headfan wrote:Would Jackson Hately be a smart target for the Eagles recruiters?
If he’s not drafted by another AFL club he’s from centrals might take some fancy footwork or talking to get him but why not . Mind you reading from centrals fans on sa footy he’s a betweener not good enough for the AFL but a good SANFL player
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:56 am

Maybe we’re alright for mid-fielders and should be saving our big bucks for our tall, key-position needs.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelScott Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:13 am

Headfan wrote:Maybe we’re alright for mid-fielders and should be saving our big bucks for our tall, key-position needs.

We got smashed in the midfield especially in the 2nd half of games. We need at least one elite midfielder probably 2 to be competetive next year.
MichaelScott

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:27 am

You’re right Michael. Riley knight was out injured, Collier- Dawkins either ineffective or gone. Comma not really League standard. Joe only effective mid-fielder. Maybe Kade Herbert will make the grade. Pudney injured but still hasn’t stood up in the mid-field. Adam D’Aloia definite long-term mid-fielder.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:32 am

Headfan wrote:You’re right Michael. Riley knight was out injured, Collier- Dawkins either ineffective or gone. Comma not really League standard. Joe only effective mid-fielder. Maybe Kade Herbert will make the grade. Pudney injured but still hasn’t stood up in the mid-field. Adam D’Aloia definite long-term mid-fielder.
Like the coach we will find out soon hopefully very soon
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelScott Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:35 am

Tsitas would be the best outcome and then someone like a Morris. A midfield of Tsitas Rowe Knight D’Aloia and Sinor rotating back with Morris should be able to compete with the better teams.
MichaelScott

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:44 pm

wimpy wrote:Toby Murray, 19yo brother of Sam and Nick. About 200-201 cm. Forward/Ruck. He was at the reserves final last Saturday. He is a friend of Max Beattie who either played with him or against him. Let's hope he is a good late developer like Nick. Having his brother Nick in Adelaide could be handy.
I don't think Weckert is a chance of being drafted especially after his last final. Didn't even get an invite to the State testing. Another possibility is that he could go back to cricket.

According to a post on SA Footy, Toby Murray has signed with the Crows SANFL side
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:15 pm

Does anyone know the situation with Mitch Hardie at Geelong?
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:18 pm

whybother wrote:Does anyone know the situation with Mitch Hardie at Geelong?

Last I saw he was uncontracted but not cut from the list (as yet).
Geelong cut quite few so he may survive.
He was at one of our Reserves finals.
Same with Tsitas, I think GC have cut a couple of players and retirements but at this stage he's still there.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:26 pm

The Barton wrote:

Same with Tsitas, I think GC have cut a couple of players and retirements but at this stage he's still there.

I think McNeil hasn't been resigned by the Bulldogs yet.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:43 pm

MichaelScott wrote:Tsitas would be the best outcome and then someone like a Morris. A midfield of Tsitas Rowe Knight D’Aloia and Sinor rotating back with Morris should be able to compete with the better teams.

Don't think we will ever see James Tsitas playing for the Eagles again. When he was recruited by GC I always thought they wanted him for bigger and better things. Heard mentioned on the radio not long ago he was the glue at Gold Coast, I was unsure if they meant the AFL team or the reserves team, or both. I think he is highly regarded up north.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:44 pm

MichaelScott wrote:Tsitas would be the best outcome and then someone like a Morris. A midfield of Tsitas Rowe Knight D’Aloia and Sinor rotating back with Morris should be able to compete with the better teams.

Don't think we will ever see James Tsitas playing for the Eagles again. When he was recruited by GC I always thought they wanted him for bigger and better things. Heard mentioned on the radio not long ago he was the glue at Gold Coast, I was unsure if they meant the AFL team or the reserves team, or both. I think he is highly regarded up north.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:31 pm

wimpy wrote:

He Captains their VFL side so you are right Wimpey.
He'll make a bloody good coach one day
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:49 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:
The Barton wrote:

I think McNeil hasn't been resigned by the Bulldogs yet.

I thought I read somewhere a number of months back when I did a check that he was actually still in contract (will be entering his last year). I could be wrong though. If I am wrong though it's hard to see him being offered another contract. Its a shame because I've never really thought they have played him the correct position (wing) where he played for the Eagles and was what he got drafted as. Rather they have played him as a half forward and occasional forward pocket - they are not positions he is suited to.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:52 pm

wimpy wrote:

He won't come back. I've previously provided a blunt series of reasons why.

He enjoyed his time with the eagles but the real desire was to achieve his ultimate goal of getting onto an AFL list which he has done. He's achieved all he can in SA (Magarey, Premiership) and is not from SA so would be highly unlikely to return to the Eagles should he not be offered a new contract with GC. Very happy to be proven wrong!!!

Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazz Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:40 pm

Agree with some previous comments re Tsitas. I cannot see him coming back. SANFL retention is not what it was but while we had gun players we won flags. This will be a bigger challenge for local coaches now than it has ever been. You may well have the talent but can you mould them into a flag side for a season or two in a season or two
Gazz
Gazz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheedsb2b Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:53 pm

Will Gould delisted from Sydney he is from Glenelg would you consider trying to go for him
Sheedsb2b
Sheedsb2b

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:21 pm

Sheedsb2b wrote:Will Gould delisted from Sydney he is from Glenelg would you consider trying to go for him
On SA footy Glenelg fans saying Glenelg going after him 
However if it was me I’d go after him
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:33 pm

It would be worth having a crack at Gould but with Genelg set to lose Pinky you would expect them to go hard for him.
We've lost players returning from the AFL before (Broadbent, McMahon, Fredericks, Sutcliffe, McDonough) and also gained from others (Stephen Tiller from West, one year, one premiership). There's probably others if I think harder.
Looks like Centrals have a found a good forward from the VFL who attended their B&F on the weekend.
Waiting with baited breathe on the release of our 4 new recruits.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:17 pm

How about delisted former Glenelg player  Oscar Adams a KPP
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:52 pm

Listened to an SEN interview with Jacobs and he said he wasn't interested in EX AFL players, their heart wasn't in it and they were too much trouble (I hope that doesn't apply to ex Eagle AFL players). I would still look at ex AFL players if they come for the right reason.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelScott Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:35 pm

Thats basically what Christine Williams said on SEN earlier in the year...they are just going to go youth...thats okay if your Sturt and Glenelg and have talent in the reserves..something we don't have...probably what got Jacobs over the line in the interviewing process...hope i'm wrong but not expecting much from recruiting
MichaelScott

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:40 pm

I think you'll find we will still be looking to recruit to fill specific needs but it won't be ex AFL listed players - been burnt with RCD and Dylan Clarke over recent times. Players from lesser leagues like Albury/Wodonga, Canberra and the VFL will be our target areas and we've got plenty of runs on the board from these areas, as have other clubs -eg Harry Grant.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:48 pm

I hope club champion Rowe has a thick skin, and doesn't take Sam's comments the wrong way
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:55 pm

The ideal recruit is 20-22 years old, formerly in the U18 system and made the state squad but never drafted. They have gone to some reasonable country league and have been playing seniors for a few years. This is because:

- They have that desire to put in 100% effort because most have the dream to play AFL or to at least win premierships at the highest level they can.
- They clearly had the skill as a junior so it’s about coaching them to the level needed to release it.
- At age 20-22 they should have put on a bit of size and should be physically ready to match it in a strong league and make an immediate impact.
- They are don’t command heaps of salary cap because they aren’t proven players.
- They are easier to find jobs for at that age as they don’t seek as big as salary because they are only starting their careers or are at university

I can’t think of a single ex-AFL player that the eagles have recruited who wasn’t a former eagle junior who was any good or has stayed with us longer than a single year.

Simply put – unless the ex-AFL were former club juniors they are not worth pursuing
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next