Mickyj
Premiers
20 posters

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Recruits for Season 2024 - Page 8 Empty Re: Recruits for Season 2024

Post by Goddsy11 Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:34 am

Mickyj wrote:
Headfan wrote:Rhyan Mansell signed a new one-year deal with Richmond.  He played 17 AFL games this year and kicked 10 goals.
Guess one reason Jacobs and the club president have said no to AFL players sticking to youngsters 
We will have to wait and see

Disagree. WWTFC should be a destination club and pathway to the AFL for those that want one. Money and work have something to do with our ability to sign players.
I am 100% for juniors but you need a blend.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:00 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:
Headfan wrote:Rhyan Mansell signed a new one-year deal with Richmond.  He played 17 AFL games this year and kicked 10 goals.
Guess one reason Jacobs and the club president have said no to AFL players sticking to youngsters 
We will have to wait and see

Disagree. WWTFC should be a destination club and pathway to the AFL for those that want one. Money and work have something to do with our ability to sign players.
I am 100% for juniors but you need a blend.
No argument from me I think I posted what the incoming coach and president are reported to have said .
Believe me I’ll support whoever we sign no matter what age or where from 
Seeing so many players leaving say North Adelaide I wonder if we’ve sniffed around them
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelScott Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:57 pm

Saying that not going to recruit ex afl players because their hearts not in it and are too much trouble is a cop out. The club should be building a culture whereby they want to play for the club like the better clubs in the SANFL have. If we are going to exclude these players in the future expect the results of the last 2 years to continue.
MichaelScott

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:06 pm

MichaelScott wrote:Saying that not going to recruit ex afl players because their hearts not in it and are too much trouble  is a cop out. The club should be building a culture whereby they want to play for the club like the better clubs in the SANFL have. If we are going to exclude these players in the future expect the results of the last 2 years to continue.
Yeah I agree who actually knows who we’ve been talking to . My source who said Jacobs wasn’t going to be the coach told me after he was announced he knew he got the job . And Sam only found out I think he said the day before 
 Now recruits we hopefully are out there trying hard to get what the club needs
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:08 pm

MichaelScott wrote:Saying that not going to recruit ex afl players because their hearts not in it and are too much trouble  is a cop out. The club should be building a culture whereby they want to play for the club like the better clubs in the SANFL have. If we are going to exclude these players in the future expect the results of the last 2 years to continue.
Oops I forgot I don’t personally care who we sign if we take top up players from the crows or port so be it if we take from the other SANFL clubs so be it if we take from country Victoria the vfl or wherever so be it 
Just get the types we need

Last edited by Mickyj on Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:47 pm

A couple more wwtfc ex-AFL players.
Paul Lindsay: 2 games for Geelong and great service (153 games) to the Eagles incl a Premiership (2006).
Jordan Foote: 6 games for the Swans and a Premiership for the Eagles in his one year (2020) with us. Often play the dvd to relive his thrilling performance in the GF.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:39 pm

And well deserved Medal for his performance, particularly when he broke the game apart in the 2nd quarter.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazz Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:11 pm

Not meaning to be a smartarse but didn't Foote play 2 seasons? One of our good pick ups who did only play the one season was Nick O' Brien. I mentioned in a previous post that player retention is a real problem for all SANFL clubs now and addressing needs and also recruiting the best available (even if it is a season or two) will keep us in the finals mix. Had enough of the early finishes as a Woodville supporter
Gazz
Gazz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:38 pm

Gazz wrote:Not meaning to be a smartarse but didn't Foote play 2 seasons?  One of our good pick ups who did only play the one season was Nick O' Brien.  I mentioned in a previous post that player retention is a real problem for all SANFL clubs now and addressing needs and also recruiting the best available (even if it is a season or two) will keep us in the finals mix. Had enough of the early finishes as a Woodville supporter

As a Torrens supporter I had enough of kicking 1 goal a game to say Glenelg kicking 30 or more from memory 
Gazz and Goddsy and anyone else I’ve missed are correct
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:40 pm

Yep Gazz.
Re ex-AFL players coming to the Eagles, Daniel and Troy Menzel are prime examples. A Premiership for both and a Ken Farmer Medal for Dan proves their worth to the Eagles. Thanks boys.
Also Scott Welsh (played for North Melbourne, Crows and Western Bulldogs) signed with the Eagles in 2010 but I don’t think played a game before playing with Encounter Bay.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:06 pm

Headfan wrote:Yep Gazz.
Re ex-AFL players coming to the Eagles, Daniel and Troy Menzel are prime examples. A Premiership for both and a Ken Farmer Medal for Dan proves their worth to the Eagles. Thanks boys.
Also Scott Welsh (played for North Melbourne, Crows and Western Bulldogs) signed with the Eagles in 2010 but I don’t think played a game before playing with Encounter Bay.

Scott Welsh played 17 games in 2010
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:41 pm

I think you can look at that the other way around too because I don't believe the culture is an issue.

For a player that has had their life's dream shattered because they have been delisted by an AFL club, they are probably not in a good spot mentally as they try to work out what happens next because they have left the bubble. If they have even the slightest glimmer of hope of getting a second chance at the highest level or just playing at the highest level they can they need to buy into the culture, wherever they end up, if the don't you end up like the names that have been mentioned earlier in the thread.

Regardless if they have played 8 or 80 games they need to buy in - like our 2 time premiership captain, Luke Thompson did when he arrived via the Crows all those years ago and when he came back as Captain. Like Mark McKenzie did when he arrived via Port and then came back.

If you were at Club Champion you would have heard Jimmy Rowe speak about coming back to us - that's culture.

Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:26 am

Although he didn't play AFL Tim Inkster was a great recruit. I think we found him playing up in Darwin. Good non-Afl are out there, they just have to be found. A good network is necessary, I don't know what ours is like? I think word of mouth from interstate recruits is about we do.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:01 pm

Of course you’re right Wimpy. Good recruits come from both non-AFL and ex-AFL players.
The highlighting of ex-AFL players in this thread came about by others comments. Many non-AFL recruits have been so valuable, eg Mark McKenzie, Mark Passador, Wayne Wiedeman, Luke Powell, Luke Jarrad, Leigh Treeby, Scott Morphett, Jamie Tape, James Tsitas, Rory Lehmann, Mitch Hardie, Adam Grocke, Craig Parry, just to name a few.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:08 pm

wimpy wrote:Although he didn't play AFL Tim Inkster was a great recruit. I think we found him playing up in Darwin. Good non-Afl are out there, they just have to be found. A good network is necessary, I don't know what ours is like? I think word of mouth from interstate recruits is about we do.

He was a great player. Not sure how an AFL team didn't snap him up before he came to us.

Our recruiting network? I believe Andrew Ainger who was coaching or playing in the VAFA was the person who pointed Lehmann in our direction. I also think he did similar to that big ruckman (Buxton) who we signed before Covid but who never came over https://wwtfc.com.au/news/buxton-joins-the-eagles/. Incidentally I wonder if we could get him over now???

I'm surprised we haven't been able to get more return out of Mark Mackenzie and his involvement at Hawthorn though he may suggest to Josh Morris to return to the club.

Another resources we have over there in the coaching ranks but for which we have little to show is Hayden Skipworth who has been an assistant at Essendon and Collingwood. I would have hoped our club could get on the phone to them and have a chat about potential VFL recruits.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:31 pm

Skippy was once short by 10c in a lunch place once, which I covered for him. So he owes me/us/the Club a favour. How about a 205cm CHF?
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:46 pm

Hayden Skipworth won the medal for best player in our 2006 Premiership win. He played very well, but I felt Justin Ciccolella was robbed. He was outstanding.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:25 am

According to talking foot poster someone named Brodie Edwards son of a big name player . Is leaving Glenelg heading to us . Not sure if true though
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:56 am

Titan2 wrote:
wimpy wrote:Although he didn't play AFL Tim Inkster was a great recruit. I think we found him playing up in Darwin. Good non-Afl are out there, they just have to be found. A good network is necessary, I don't know what ours is like? I think word of mouth from interstate recruits is about we do.

He was a great player. Not sure how an AFL team didn't snap him up before he came to us.

Our recruiting network? I believe Andrew Ainger who was coaching or playing in the VAFA was the person who pointed Lehmann in our direction. I also think he did similar to that big ruckman (Buxton) who we signed before Covid but who never came over https://wwtfc.com.au/news/buxton-joins-the-eagles/. Incidentally I wonder if we could get him over now???

I'm surprised we haven't been able to get more return out of Mark Mackenzie and his involvement at Hawthorn though he may suggest to Josh Morris to return to the club.

Another resources we have over there in the coaching ranks but for which we have little to show is Hayden Skipworth who has been an assistant at Essendon and Collingwood. I would have hoped our club could get on the phone to them and have a chat about potential VFL recruits.

Quite correct "Titan2" Ainger did point Lehmann our way.
I quite often see Mark McKenzie at our matches in his recruiting/list manager roll for Hawthorn. Luke Powell and he have a very close relationship, I would expect we would be milking his knowledge. David B-R came from Box Hill, he could have had some input in him coming to the Eagles.
McKenzie is an ideal position to have info. on many, many footballers around Australia as he has been in this position for some time.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:23 am

Mickyj wrote:According to talking foot poster someone named Brodie Edwards son of a big name player . Is leaving Glenelg heading to us . Not sure if true though
Talking to a footy legend this morning he could be like McLeods son if he comes to us we will be his third club
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:36 pm

Mickyj wrote:
Mickyj wrote:According to talking foot poster someone named Brodie Edwards son of a big name player . Is leaving Glenelg heading to us . Not sure if true though
Talking to a footy legend this morning he could be like McLeods son if he comes to us we will be his third club
^^^^^
Not sure what you mean there.

I looked up Brodie Edwards. He played5 reserves matches in 2023. Only 19 though. Not sure if it will be his third club. Are getting him mixed up with Jackson Edwards who went from Glenelg to West and Im not sure were after.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:04 pm

Looks like Clay Cameron has signed with a QAFL side for 2024.
Hope they've got a good medical department!
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:18 pm

Sorry to see him go. Tall defenders are always a loss. Maybe last year’s injuries were a one year thing. He played a terrific game in the 2021 GF alongside Thomson. Helped keep the Bay tall forwards (Hosie etc) out of the game.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:19 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:
^^^^^
Not sure what you mean there.

I looked up Brodie Edwards. He played5 reserves matches in 2023. Only 19 though. Not sure if it will be his third club. Are getting him mixed up with Jackson Edwards who went from Glenelg to West and Im not sure were after.

Just saying what the footy legend from the crows told me maybe he got them confused
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:28 pm

The Barton wrote:Looks like Clay Cameron has signed with a QAFL side for 2024.
Hope they've got a good medical department!
I hope we have a replacement
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next