Goddsy11
hawke
10 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Eagles Recruiting for 2022 - Page 7 Empty Re: Eagles Recruiting for 2022

Post by wimpy Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:37 pm

Mickyj wrote:
hawke wrote:Thanks for the info, Wimpy. I might see you out there (? Eastern Parade) on Monday night.
Interesting Clay Cameron's good run in 2km trial. He was almost playing as a tall midfielder in the GF in the 2nd half (probably playing as a run-with defender up the ground) and read the play well. I thought then that he could turn into a handy midfielder in 2022 if he could build up his "engine" and, from your report, he might have done so.

Hawke and Wimpy where do we see a fit Macfarlane fitting into the side next year .
I don’t think he was fit last year

I think McFarlane, Hoile, Litster and Beecken will be fighting for one wing and one HBF.
It wouldn't bother me seeing Beecken play on a wing.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:15 pm

Only based on last season's form, I wouldn't have Dane MacFarlane in our best 22 - of course, improved pre-season form will change that. Last year, his first reaction was to run, many times when he should have delivered by hand or foot and was run-down even from behind. But he may adjust with a 2nd season. Assuming we lose Jack Hayes and retain James Tsitas, my "December" team might be:

F     D Menzel      Ballenden      Goldsworthy
HF   T Menzel       Cameron       Mutch
C     Toumpas       Tsitas           Pudney
HB   Duval           Lehman        Almond
FB    Rowland       Thompson     Beecken

1st R   Redden           2nd R  Ballenden
         Knight                       Mutch              
         Sinor                         Lonergan

res  Firns (to go forward when Ballenden rucks)
     Hoile  (to cover extra wing, HF and onball roll)
     Harvey (to take HF flank when Mutch goes onball)
     Litster

My concern is the lack of a "zippy" electric small forward to replace Stengle and Poole. I chose Goldsworthy (a little slow) for his footy "smarts" in Forward Pocket to play a "James Rowe" role rather than a "Stengle" role. Perhaps, young D'Aloi may surprise and play that role. Could equally have Almond on the wing and Litster at HB with Pudney on the bench. But hopefully, Pudney's disposal can improve in 2022 to really hurt the opposition (rather than his 2021 aimless forward entries) to add to the energy he shows.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:31 pm

Mickyj wrote:
hawke wrote:Thanks for the info, Wimpy. I might see you out there (? Eastern Parade) on Monday night.
Interesting Clay Cameron's good run in 2km trial. He was almost playing as a tall midfielder in the GF in the 2nd half (probably playing as a run-with defender up the ground) and read the play well. I thought then that he could turn into a handy midfielder in 2022 if he could build up his "engine" and, from your report, he might have done so.

Hawke and Wimpy where do we see a fit Macfarlane fitting into the side next year .

I think if not for his ankle injury that kept him out for about 5 weeks (including COVID break) Dane would have been a bit like Rory Lehmann, took a while to find his feet in the comp but got better as the year went on. He had about 6 touches in the first 2 mins of his first game back from injury in the 2's against Central in Round 19 and then copped a fairly heavy hit soon after, don't know if that had an impact during the finals.

Just looked up his stats for the season,
10 League Games averaging 19.2 disposals per game with an efficiency of 99%.
If that disposal efficiency is correct that would have to be some sort of record.
4 Reserves games (the last 4) averaging 17.8 disposals per game with an efficiency of 92%
Again a very high efficiency.

Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:02 am

Columbo wrote:
Mickyj wrote:

I think if not for his ankle injury that kept him out for about 5 weeks (including COVID break) Dane would have been a bit like Rory Lehmann, took a while to find his feet in the comp but got better as the year went on. He had about 6 touches in the first 2 mins of his first game back from injury in the 2's against Central in Round 19 and then copped a fairly heavy hit soon after, don't know if that had an impact during the finals.

Just looked up his stats for the season,
10 League Games averaging 19.2 disposals per game with an efficiency of 99%.
If that disposal efficiency is correct that would have to be some sort of record.
4 Reserves games (the last 4) averaging 17.8 disposals per game with an efficiency of 92%
Again a very high efficiency.

Thanks for that Columbo
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:17 am

Oops ! meant "Mitch Hardie" on the bench, not "Harvey". Hardie is another who improved late in the season.
Jake Comitogianni 's, impressiive tackling and forward pressure but still poor disposal in traffic for a forward, may not have yet cemented his spot although he's certainly a good role player.
Columbo, I'm surprised at those stats re MacFarlane's kicking efficiency - thought he turned the ball over too often.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:18 am

Gazz wrote:OK Wimpy let's see yours

I will assume Jack Hayes and Tsitas go. My feeling is that Tsitas might not get selected but the Gold Coast have their eyes on Tsitas for a future role within their club. Would bring excellent leadership to the Suns young group.

D. Menzel          C. Ballenden          Z. Williams

T. Menzel           C. Cameron           M. Goldsworthy

J. Allmond          K. Mutch               K. Pudney

M. Duval             L. Thompson         L. Beecken

S. Rowland          R. Lehmann          M. Litster

J. Redden...........J. Lonergan (Inter.).J. Comitogianni (Emerg)
  R. Knight............J. Toumpas............L. Hoile
  J. Sinor...............J. Firns.................M. Hardie
  .........................D. McFarlane.........A. D'Aloia
  .....................................................M. Phillipou

Jack Firns and Commas roles and selection in team will depend on if they are needed for negating roles.
Would play Jarrad Allmond on a wing, as we are well off for HBFs. Also Sheedy the state coach had him playing on the wing in the state game. Sheedy has also been heard to say he likes Allmond's  long penetrating kick in to the forward line from the wing. Litster, Hoile and D'Aloia should be given games to encourage the youngsters and keep the list being regenerated. I think we have plenty of flankers to fill injuries and poor form, but may be one good tall short (!!!) if Hayes doesn't play.  
It's been good to see quite a lot of last seasons U18s at senior training and few other invited outsiders.
Went to Ottoway during the week to watch the U18s & U16s train, was surprised at the huge numbers at training, about 100, it looked impressive.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7