Premiers
20 posters

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Recruits for Season 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: Recruits for Season 2024

Post by Aerie Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:39 pm

MichaelScott wrote:
wimpy wrote:
Aerie wrote:Will Welsh play in the SANFL for the Crows or the Eagles next year?

I think he may be allowed to play three games for the crows next season as a F/S. I think Burgoyne (F/S) and Nathan Barkla (NGA) did in their last U18 season.
I would be hoping at least one of Cooke, Weckert or Welsh could find a permanent position in the league team next season.
I think Welsh has to be managed carefully. At the start of last season as a 16 year old he did all the senior training and eventually broke down with a back injury before his training routine was revised.
On Saturday I thought Cooke and Weckert combined well to make themselves excellent targets around the ground. Both took crucial big grabs. Welsh in the U18s showed good strength and competiveness.

I heard we are talking to a 195cm full forward who played in the vfl this year. Keep hearing that all players have re-signed except goldy and toumpas and that Troy Menzel is definitely staying

That's good news. A fair bit of work has gone in to the last couple of seasons. The new coach has a fair base to work with and the club should be hungry for success after a couple seasons down the bottom.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:59 am

I have it good authority that Goldy has re-signed for 2024.
Was pleasingly surprised to see Troy Menzel at the Reserves game on Saturday, maybe this helps confirm his committment to the Eagles in 2024. He adds an X Factor to our forward line.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:35 am

Probably part of his Club admin duties
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:28 pm

The delisting's at AFL level start soon. Should be some good players there as long as we get in quick. I would look at the Crows and PA regardless of where the players are tied to. A Hately or Borlase would be great for us. Maybe Newchurch would blossom under our player style just like Stengle did.

Last edited by Goddsy11 on Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:51 am

I saw in the paper this morning that Jack Hayes has suffered another injury, and has been put on ice for the rest of the season. Another op too. Even when he gets fixed and delisted , I dont think he will ever come back to us. Another good player broken by the AFL.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:13 pm

Andrew McPherson has been delisted from the Crows, let's hope we can secure him.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:06 pm

MELBOURNE midfielder Luke Dunstan has announced his retirement.

Adelaide won't offer new deals to Andrew McPherson, Jackson Hately, Tariek Newchuch and Tyler Brown. I wouldn't mind Tyler Brown.

Last edited by Goddsy11 on Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:32 pm

PORT ADELAIDE has farewelled midfielders Riley Bonner and Trent Dumont, ruck Brynn Teakle and utility Nathan Barkla

Nathan Barkla a chance. We should approach a couple of the others.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:55 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:PORT ADELAIDE has farewelled midfielders Riley Bonner and Trent Dumont, ruck Brynn Teakle and utility Nathan Barkla

We should Goddsy11
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:24 pm

Just seeking comments on our possible squad for 2024:

BULK OF SQUAD:
Cooke, Ballenden, Beattie, Pearce, Nicholls, Rowe, Pudney, Watson, Sinor, Beecken,
Williams, Litster, Thompson, Lehmann, D'Aloia, Bruce, Dawkins, Mawson, Buck, Knight,
Rowland, Brinker-Ritchie, Lukac, Menta.

DO WE NEED ANY OF THESE:
Goldsworthy, Toumpas, Firns, Comitogianni, T. Menzel, Cameron, McFarlane.

YOUNGSTERS (U18s):
Herbert (for one more year), Weckert (if not drafted), Brodie Mair, Callum Fairall,
Pat Toole, Tom Luck, Tyler Welsh, Izaac Niemann, Oscar Pearce, Riley Davey,
Archer Charles, Josh Capogreco, Darcy Hudson.

POSSIBLE INCLUSIONS:
Andrew McPherson, Nathan Barkla, Nathan Studham (return), Mitch Hardie,
Toby Murray.

Surely with a few recruits and no injury problems we must be able to cobble together
a squad that is capable of making the finals. Recruiting duds, injuries and not as much progression from younger players crippled our season.
Our urgent need is to establish an attack that can kick a winning score, only one player kicked over twenty goals for us (Ballenden 29 goals).
We played 39 players throughout the season indicating we were pretty unstettled.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:38 pm

wimpy wrote:Just seeking comments on our possible squad for 2024:

BULK OF SQUAD:
Cooke, Ballenden, Beattie, Pearce, Nicholls, Rowe, Pudney, Watson, Sinor, Beecken,
Williams, Litster, Thompson, Lehmann, D'Aloia, Bruce, Dawkins, Mawson, Buck, Knight,

DO WE NEED ANY OF THESE:

YOUNGSTERS (U18s):
Herbert (for one more year), Weckert (if not drafted), Brodie Mair, Callum Fairall,

POSSIBLE INCLUSIONS:
Toby Murray.

Surely with a few recruits and no injury problems we must be able to cobble together
a squad that is capable of making the finals. Recruiting duds, injuries and not as much progression from younger players crippled our season.
Our urgent need is to establish an attack that can kick a winning score, only one player kicked over twenty goals for us (Ballenden 29 goals).
We played 39 players throughout the season indicating we were pretty unstettled.

Toby Murray
Thats a name I haven't heard mentioned. Are we looking at signing him? Brother of Nick Murray at the crows.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:23 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:
wimpy wrote:Just seeking comments on our possible squad for 2024:

BULK OF SQUAD:

DO WE NEED ANY OF THESE:

YOUNGSTERS (U18s):

POSSIBLE INCLUSIONS:
Toby Murray.

Toby Murray
Thats a name I haven't heard mentioned. Are we looking at signing him? Brother of Nick Murray at the crows.

Thanks Wimpy. I always enjoy reading these types of discussions and opinions, particularly in the off-season.

I agree with much of what you have provided.

re BULK OF SQUAD

I presume you mean those that are likely to be part of it versus on a 'needs' basis based on performance or potential? Of those you mentioned I think the two who stand out (in the wrong way) amongst these names Bruce and Dawkins. Neither have cemented their place or shown that they should be definite starters. Both had 'moments' this year but I think at this stage should only be viewed as depth players until they can demonstrate they belong at the level by consistently performing at this level. We'd be in big trouble if these two are considered starters in round 1 next year. The other name is 'Menta'. I don't even know who he is and question why they should even be in this squad given I don't think they were ever in consideration for a league birth?

I note that Hoile was not listed here. Was this an omission or would he be part of the cleanout? To my mind he isn't good enough for league and had an ordinary year even at reserves level. Do we persist or should he be kept as depth?

DO WE NEED ANY OF THESE
- Yes, all of them - but only to smooth the transition to the next generation. Goldsworthy, Toumpas, T. Menzel, Cameron, McFarlane are all in our best team if fit. Firns and Comitogianni are definitely not in our best team and you would hope are playing the bulk of the season in the reserves with the odd game in the league side if and when injury strikes.

YOUNGSTERS

Agree here. Only thing I'd add is that I'd be staggered if Weckert is drafted given how disappointing he was this year. I'd move his name into the 'bulk of squad' category.

POSSIBLE INCLUSIONS:
Of this list I'd only be chasing hard for Hardie and that's assuming Geelong delist him and I don't think they will. He was impressive for them and I'd guess they would want to given him at least another 12 months. For the remainder, none of them fill the major holes in our side eg Macpherson - he will be a solid, handy mid defender but we've got them. They are not our weakness. Barkla looks miles off it. Studham - if he walked out on the club (even if treated badly) do we want him back or will this upset team harmony? Who is Toby Murray?????

Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:31 pm

To my comment above I forgot to add that I think our best team on the park would definitely be around the mark to challenge for 4th-5th spot at the end of the year. It would still be a way off competing against a Glenelg or an Adelaide side.

And that's assuming no injuries. We are very light-on for depth. After out 20 best players the quality drops off quickly.

We need to recruit to ensure Ballenden spends 100% of this time up forward. I don't like it how we recruited a ruckman (DBR) for the future when we need a ready made ruckman right now - it mucks up our balance. DBR shows heaps of potential but I think would need need massive improvement over summer.

We need one more key forward, a ready made ruckman, and two key defenders at least 192cm in size. These have to be our priorit.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelScott Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:52 pm

If Bruce is anywhere near the league team we have no hope
MichaelScott

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:55 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:PORT ADELAIDE has farewelled midfielders Riley Bonner and Trent Dumont, ruck Brynn Teakle and utility Nathan Barkla

I’m reading online the Ruck man has gained AFL interest
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelScott Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:59 pm

From what i have seen this year i don't think Dawkins, Watson, Buck, Mawson and Nichols are at a level to be contending for finals
MichaelScott

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:00 pm

Toby Murray, 19yo brother of Sam and Nick. About 200-201 cm. Forward/Ruck. He was at the reserves final last Saturday. He is a friend of Max Beattie who either played with him or against him. Let's hope he is a good late developer like Nick. Having his brother Nick in Adelaide could be handy.
I don't think Weckert is a chance of being drafted especially after his last final. Didn't even get an invite to the State testing. Another possibility is that he could go back to cricket.

Last edited by wimpy on Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:06 pm

MichaelScott wrote:If Bruce is anywhere near the league team we have no hope

I believe the first half of Bruce's season was way above every bodies expectation, and would have done well in our B&F. His confidence was wrecked when he was suspended, he lost the aggression he previously had and his game dropped of dramatically. Back to form he is a good depth player.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:07 pm

MichaelScott wrote:From what  i have seen this year i don't think Dawkins, Watson, Buck, Mawson and Nichols are at a level to be contending for finals

I was not on the Buck train until he was moved forward in the second half of the year and here I think he really improved his game. I think in the backline he had the tendency to make a lot of unforced errors and lacked awareness a lot of the time. His movement forward saw Williams move to the backlines where he too improved his game playing down back. Williams is NOT a forward.

Mawson is someone who at the moment shouldn't be a starting player but has definitely shown signs that he has some level of talent. If he hangs around I could see him followning the same trajectory as a Mitch Hardie.

Nichols didn't do enough to justify his spot in the league team but he will continually improve We forget he's just a kid and if the Eagles had the right depth he'd be crafting his trade in the reserves for a few seasons until he was ready.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:17 pm

wimpy wrote:Toby Murray, 19yo brother of Sam and Nick. About 200-201 cm. Forward/Ruck. He was at the reserves final last Saturday. He is a friend of Max Beattie who either played with him or against him. Let's hope he is a good late developer like Nick. Having his brother Nick in Adelaide could be handy.
I don't think Weckert is a chance of being drafted especially after his last final. Didn't even get an invite to the State testing. Another possibility is that he could go back to cricket.

This sounds like someone we should get onto our list on account of his height alone. If Sladojevic can get a game then this bloke can.

I'd guess Weckert would definitely go back to cricket if he feels his AFL dream is over. He's one of those guys who has a lot of skill but not quite sure how desperate he wants to play AFL. We saw that last year when he chose to knock back the opportunity to debut in league footy because he wanted to play in a footy match for his college. Then he missed half of last pre-season because he wasn't sure if he'd focus on cricket or footy. Meanwhile his footy peers of similar age were laser focussed on doing all the right things to get exposure to AFL recruiters and doing all the training.

It will be interesting to see what he does and his attitude if he is not drafted this season. Does he suck and go back to cricket or does he knuckle down and stay determined? I'd love to see him demonstrate the latter by being the first one to show up at pre-season training over Summer, get fit and put his hand up to be picked in round 1. If he shows some hunger, consistency and form in the league team next season then recruiters will sit up and take notice.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:16 pm

I dont want any AFL recruiters to show/see any interest in our players. Keep them under the radar until we can get back to some sort of competitivenes.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheedsb2b Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:22 pm

Josh morris didn’t play a game this year he has played 15 games in his career and 21 age and 186 in height hawthorn hasn’t done there delistings yet but handy recruit. I think we will definitely get McPherson not sure about Barkla
Sheedsb2b
Sheedsb2b

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:03 pm

Sheedsb2b wrote:Josh morris didn’t play a game this year he has played 15 games in his career and 21 age and 186 in height hawthorn hasn’t done there delistings yet but handy recruit. I think we will definitely get McPherson not sure about Barkla

Issue with McPherson is he spends most of his time in the medical room. Very talented.
I forgot about Josh Morris.
Why are you not sure about Bracla?
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheedsb2b Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:59 pm

Barkla will probably come but I just thought port will take him as a top up player but hope not
Sheedsb2b
Sheedsb2b

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:22 am

Sheedsb2b wrote:Barkla will probably come but I just thought port will take him as a top up player but hope not

Fair enough but I'm sure the rules don't allow PA or the Crows to recruit delisted players to their state league sides unless they come in as marquee players. They can't be used as top ups in their delisting year. He can of course get re-rookied.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next