Headfan
Mickyj
Premiers
20 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Recruits for Season 2024 - Page 20 Empty Re: Recruits for Season 2024

Post by 35Eagles Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:29 pm

Think everyone is mad but the club should gain $$$$ from the crows for doing it when he's on Eagles list. But this decision is so wrong. It should should be like it's always been.
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:52 pm

Aerie wrote:Unfortunately, it makes absolute sense for Welsh to spend the year developing at the Crows.

What has never made sense, is the AFL teams in the SANFL.

This arrangement, of Welsh being able to play for Eagles Reserves or U18's when not picked for the Crows is a good one.

In my opinion, this is how the State Leagues should approach the AFL, with regard to an AFL Reserves competition, for the betterment of the game at all levels in the future.

- AFL main list sizes should shrink.
- AFL Reserve top ups should be players Under 21 from the same state as the club and they should have a 3-year education with their AFL club, part time football, part time further education/trade.
- The top ups should maintain ties with their original club, as in the Welsh example, but if good enough, could play League football.
- The salary saved from the reduction of list sizes should be spread to State League Clubs and Top Up Squads and should be in the range of $800k.

I completely understand your anger goddy. I gave the AFL Reserves thing a go for one season back in 2014 and after that spat the dummy and gave up my membership. I couldn't stay mad for long though!

Sadly, I doubt I will change my mind. I enjoy seeing us nurture our kids and then they come through and play league. I wonder if Port will try the same thing with Rome Burgoyne. They also have a couple from North they can poach.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:07 pm

Gregod wrote:Talking to Centrals administrators and they tried to get Pudney to play for them in 2022 he refused until last year and now he's joined them

Pretty sure Paul Thomas was a teacher at Henley High a while back, Kai was a student an Henley High so that may be the connection and a reason for the move.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:16 pm

Hopefully not the same as Rome. I think everyone feels the same. Think it's wrong what's wrong with the old system that they can play league for the opposite sanfl club port or crows in July for the rest of the season. Though Tyler is a crows supporter but it would be nice for the club to inform of this and other outs too
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:34 pm

It makes me incredibly mad that the Crows have the ability to do this. What I don't understand is that he would not even be on the Crows playing squad next year. The only reason he seems to get a pass is because of a commitment to pick him. Not good enough.

Do we get compensated ? Who knows. The Club won't say anything.

If there is any solace it's the fact that we would only really have him for one year so he is basically clogging up a spot for another player who might one day play league for us.

Furthermore, Welsh looked miles off the pace last season........of Reserves level.

It would take something remarkable for him to suddenly become a handy League footy player in less than 12 months. Lets face it, if the Eagles were pinning next season's hopes on Welsh to play league footy then we were in deep trouble.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:39 pm

Josh Morris - a good get
Whereas Josh isn't the key tall (still need another in addition to Boyd and Moore) nor the midfielder that we should be targeting, he may have come cheaply. Several highlight reels show his good kicking skills, excellent closing speed on tackles, good overhead for his 187cm height.

I'm surprised that the WWTFC post says that ".......he'll strengthen our back six". I would have thought he would be used as a HF especially with his acute goal sense.
To me, it suggests that the Club is anticipating losing HB flanker Luke Beecken in the draft and Josh Morris is his replacement.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:43 pm

Very true. Time will tell though
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:05 pm

Aerie wrote:Unfortunately, it makes absolute sense for Welsh to spend the year developing at the Crows.

This arrangement, of Welsh being able to play for Eagles Reserves or U18's when not picked for the Crows is a good one.

I completely understand your anger goddy. I gave the AFL Reserves thing a go for one season back in 2014 and after that spat the dummy and gave up my membership. I couldn't stay mad for long though!

Agree with your first comment, it's certainly good for Tyler to be able to get into the system a year early.

I'm in the minority with my thoughts on the reserves teams I think (or is that know Recruits for Season 2024 - Page 20 1f60b )

I think the current situation has been better for us as a club than the previous model of the players coming back to us because it means the club / coaches are 100% in control of our list of players, across the whole club, instead of not knowing with 100% confidence what was happening day to day let alone week to week with at one stage 14 players on our senior list.
We are no longer impacted / blindsided by the AFL clubs;
- releasing a travelling emergency to fly back from interstate on the morning of our game and arriving straight from the airport just prior to a 2.10 game,
- players being pulled at the last minute to be an emergency which would at times have a knock on impact on teams across all grades
- and the old favourite....Players who had qualified for finals suddenly needing season ending surgery the week before the finals .
We have played in more Grand Finals since 2014 than any other club, sadly we have only won 2 as have Sturt, Glenelg and Norwood.

Now back to Tyler, at this stage the question I would be asking is this, realistically how many League games would he play for us next season before we were going to lose him anyway?
Considering the Under 18's carnival and lead up games, the option for the Crows to have had him for a handful of games like Port did with Burgoyne and then any other AFL Futures games.
If he becomes available at all personally I'd play him in the 18's, keep the 2's for players who are hopefully developing, nothing against the lad, wish him the best of luck for his career but can't help but think in the long term this may be a win / win for him and the club.

Some of the strange AFL rules around drafts, father - son, next generation academies etc. are another issue altogether, my brain hurts even thinking about it, thats a discussion for another time.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:32 pm

Columbo wrote:

Agree with your first comment, it's certainly good for Tyler to be able to get into the system a year early.

I'm in the minority with my thoughts on the reserves teams I think (or is that know  Recruits for Season 2024 - Page 20 1f60b )

I think the current situation has been better for us as a club than the previous model of the players coming back to us because it means the club / coaches are 100% in control of our list of players, across the whole club, instead of not knowing with 100% confidence what was happening day to day let alone week to week with at one stage 14 players on our senior list.
- releasing a travelling emergency to fly back from interstate on the morning of our game and arriving straight from the airport just prior to a 2.10 game,
- players being pulled at the last minute to be an emergency which would at times have a knock on impact on teams across all grades
- and the old favourite....Players who had qualified for finals suddenly needing season ending surgery the week before the finals .
We have played in more Grand Finals since 2014 than any other club, sadly we have only won 2 as have Sturt, Glenelg and Norwood.

Now back to Tyler, at this stage the question I would be asking is this, realistically how many League games would he play for us next season before we were going to lose him anyway?
Considering the Under 18's carnival and lead up games, the option for the Crows to have had him for a handful of games like Port did with Burgoyne and then any other AFL Futures games.
If he becomes available at all personally I'd play him in the 18's, keep the 2's for players who are hopefully developing, nothing against the lad, wish him the best of luck for his career but can't help but think in the long term this may be a win / win for him and the club.

Some of the strange AFL rules around drafts, father - son, next generation academies etc. are another issue altogether, my brain hurts even thinking about it, thats a discussion for another time.

Agree. I believe the SANFL has forgotten who its customers are. It's the 8 SANFL clubs and their supporters that go out every week and watch them play. We give up our hard earned for membership and other things.
They will still pillage our players preseason and mid-season and we receive F/A compensation. The SANFL just encourages it. And as gratitude the 2 AFL sides are looking at ways to leave the comp. Make those clubs pay a fair compensation at least that goes entirely the affected clubs. Look at their website. Mostly AFL drafting.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:41 pm

Does anyone know if we get any compensation from the crows for what they've done?? Be nice for the club to let us know the full outs atm not only league but other grades.
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:07 am

Columbo wrote:

I'm in the minority with my thoughts on the reserves teams I think (or is that know  Recruits for Season 2024 - Page 20 1f60b )

Well said Columbo
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:44 am

Goddsy11 wrote:Agree. I believe the SANFL has forgotten who its customers are. It's the 8 SANFL clubs and their supporters that go out every week and watch them play. We give up our hard earned for membership and other things.
They will still pillage our players preseason and mid-season and we receive F/A compensation. The SANFL just encourages it. And as gratitude the 2 AFL sides are looking at ways to leave the comp.  Make those clubs pay a fair compensation at least that goes entirely the affected clubs. Look at their website. Mostly AFL drafting.

It's a tricky one re what the SANFL are. From what I understand, the SANFL is essentially owned by the 8 SANFL clubs and all final decisions are made by them. The SA Football Commission is appointed to run the game in this state. The large majority of income, I assume, is from the SMA portion of revenue generated by the AFL teams at Adelaide Oval. The SANFL has to cater for the game at all levels, the SA Football Commission's Vision, for example, is "to connect communities through the enjoyment of footy". There is also no doubt that the AFL is the ultimate dream for every young player and the undisputed highest level of football there is to spectate.

For us fans, all paths lead to our SANFL League team. We put in our hard earned money and time to watch and support our SANFL club. We may have other clubs we follow/support, either at AFL level or Community level. The continued compromisation of the SANFL League product makes it less and less appealing - i.e. an uneven playing field re AFL Reserves teams, the mid-season draft, the U18 State program now taking up half the season etc.

It is hard to take, that our SANFL Club League Directors are sometimes making decisions we can see "lessen our enjoyment" of the footy we choose to watch. However, they also have an obligation to do what is best for footy overall and ultimately, that is to have as many people participating in Football as possible, no matter which level. For the SANFL clubs, how to maintain that fine balance between being development factories for the AFL and attracting support from members and sponsors for senior level football is the key. With the goal posts always changing thanks to the AFL, it makes that job bloody hard for our administrators!
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:14 am

Well-argued Aerie. It would be nice to know how much the AFL put back into the game compared to what the SANFL puts in. The SANFL sold footy park and their ownership in AFL club licenses to make AO possible. I don't believe the AFL put in much compared to what they contribute to Victoria.

I am also a Crows fan and happy the Crows will draft our player as I am when they draft any of our players. What upsets me is they (the AFL) are white anting our comp step by step with the full blessing of the SANFL commission. Let the AFL run all the state programs if they want to own our comp at their own expense.

WWT and WT going back further have given me pleasure and pain, but I may just give them a miss from now on.

Edit. Sorry I haven't taken my grumpy pills today. Smile
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:59 am

I feel disappointed that the club didn't inform us first
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:23 am

Aerie wrote:
Unfortunately, it makes absolute sense for Welsh to spend the year developing at the Crows.

I'm sorry "Aerie" but I have to strongly disagree with you on this topic.
I have always been anti the Father/Son rule.
I strongly resent a privileged few players being able to get to the club they more than likely barrack for and don't have to move interstate.
It distorts the AFL draft, the draft was supposed to be an equalisation tool. In most cases it pushes other club's pick further down the selecting order.
Allowing F/S prospects to be able to train with their intended AFL club is a significant head start over other draftees, why should this happen.
As for F/S parents the Daicos parents are favoured by basically being able to watch their sons play in the comfort of their home state, no inconvenience here.
For example the King boys, not being F/S they are split between Victoria and Queensland, pity their parents trying to get to and paying to see their Queensland son play, not a burden for the Daicos parents though.
Tyler Welsh should be doing his year twelve in 2024 will this be significantly more compromised now that he will be at the Crows.
Also, no playing reward for WWTFC who has nurtured him through his junior years.
Another example of the AFL riding roughshod over the smaller leagues. Looking after grass roots football is disappearing and of great concern.
Rome Burgoyne is another of our players that could fall to the same fate.
I say let the kids play unburdened by all this crap.

Last edited by wimpy on Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:45 am

wimpy wrote:Aerie wrote:
Unfortunately, it makes absolute sense for Welsh to spend the year developing at the Crows.

I'm sorry "Aerie" but I have to strongly disagree with you on this topic.
I have always been anti the Father/Son rule.
I strongly resent a privileged few players being able to get to the club they more than likely barrack for and don't have to move interstate.
It distorts the AFL draft, the draft was supposed to be an equalisation tool. In most cases it pushes other club's pick further down the selecting order.
Allowing F/S prospects to be able to train with their intended AFL club is a significant head start over other draftees, why should this happen.
As for F/S parents the Daicos parents are favoured by basically being able to watch their sons play in the comfort of their home state, no inconvenience here.
For example the King boys, not being F/S they are split between Victoria and Queensland, pity their parents trying to get to and paying to see their Queensland son play, not a burden for the Daicos parents though.
Tyler Welsh should be doing his year twelve in 2024 will this be significantly more compromised now that he will be at the Crows.
Also, no playing reward for WWTFC who has nurtured him through his junior years.
Another example of the AFL riding roughshod over the smaller leagues. Looking after grass roots football is a disappearing concern.
Rome Burgoyne is another of our players that could fall to the same fate.
I say let the kids play unburdened by all this crap.

Always love your posts Wimpy and 100% cheers
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:09 am

Spot on as usual Wimpey.
Agree witrh Columbo as well in that we probably wouldn't see a lot of him at league level next year but that's not the point. As a hard core supporter who goes every week and also watches most of the Reserves games and some under age, one of our rewards is seeing our youth develop through the ranks and make their league debut wherever possible. The Crows (and probably Koch's mob) have robbed us of that opportunity through pure greed and disregard for grass roots football clubs. I'd argue these kids would develop a more rounded approach to the game and life in general if they were to spend their last year at their home club playing footy with their mates. We can't be critical of the Eagles Management, they are swimming against a strong tide. Reminds me of when Torrens tried to stop Michael Long going to Essendon, we were never going to win that one.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:10 am

We can cross 1 guy off our list.
Andrew McPherson – Development Coach for the Adelaide Crows.

https://www.afc.com.au/news/1465423/crows-finalise-coaching-structure
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:13 am

The Barton wrote:Spot on as usual Wimpey.
Agree witrh Columbo as well in that we probably wouldn't see a lot of him at league level next year but that's not the point. As a hard core supporter who goes every week and also watches most of the Reserves games and some under age, one of our rewards is seeing our youth develop through the ranks and make their league debut wherever possible. The Crows (and probably Koch's mob) have robbed us of that opportunity through pure greed and disregard for grass roots football clubs. I'd argue these kids would develop a more rounded approach to the game and life in general if they were to spend their last year at their home club playing footy with their mates. We can't be critical of the Eagles Management, they are swimming against a strong tide. Reminds me of when Torrens tried to stop Michael Long going to Essendon, we were never going to win that one.

Difference on that was $$$ Long was a pleasure to watch. Brought a few relatives over as I recall.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:16 am

Goddsy11 wrote:We can cross 1 guy off our list.

The Crows Corporation strikes again.
As a player we would have had to rebuild his body effectively but, like our Training Department did with Riley Knight, I would have backed us in to do it with less training and demands on his body.
Sounds like McPherson has retired from playing. Upside is massive savings in medical tape and physio's!
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:21 am

Goddsy11 wrote:
The Barton wrote:Spot on as usual Wimpey.

Difference on that was $$$    Long was a pleasure to watch. Brought a few relatives over as I recall.

True. Bought his brothers Chris and Noel over with him. I think they may have struggled with the cold Adelaide winter and never really reached any great heights.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:21 am

The Barton wrote:
Goddsy11 wrote:We can cross 1 guy off our list.

The Crows Corporation strikes again.
As a player we would have had to rebuild his body effectively but, like our Training Department did with Riley Knight, I would have backed us in to do it with less training and demands on his body.
Sounds like McPherson has retired from playing. Upside is massive savings in medical tape and physio's!

Could he play as a Crows marquee player? There seem to be no rules anymore. Your right about the savings. poor guy had so much potential but the body failed him. Even before he was drafted.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:03 pm

Commitment starts at the top… and we’re thrilled to advise members that our Leadership Group have signed on for season 2024!

Skipper Joseph Sinor, along with Riley Knight and Sam Rowland, have led the way in showing their allegiance to the Eagles, and are ready to set the standard this pre-season and on to the playing field next year.

#EaglesWWTFC #TogetherWeFly #FlyWithUs2024
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:44 pm

Good to have the official leadership appointments finalised. To a large degree, watching training/ huddles, Luke Thompson still carries a large unofficial leadership role.

Re the Welsh matter, get over it, fellas !! Whinging is not going to change anything. Just accept that as a feeder competition to the big boys, we have to expect that all rules will be bent toward making the AFL a better product. If you love to beat yourself up over such matters, turn your attention to the upcoming drafts where we may lose Beecken and Beattie.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:55 pm

We're entitled to a opinion about it so get over it and by the way it's not all men on this forum
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next