Mickyj
Premiers
20 posters

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

Recruits for Season 2024 - Page 16 Empty Re: Recruits for Season 2024

Post by Mickyj Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:08 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:
The Barton wrote:Heard a rumour this morning from a very unreliable source but it still concerns me.
Word is that the Crows are looking to Rookie list Jack Boyd.
I hope my source is wrong as he often is.
They already took Toby Murray from under our noses.
Surely not....

Murray is not rookied. He is in the SANFL squad. The Crows barely have a rookie spot open. They need to move someone off the main list soon to the Rookie list to pick up their 3, 1st round picks as well as James Borlace is promised a rookie spot.
Goddsy great research 
The Barton your source wouldn’t be a bays fan on another forum by chance ?
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:17 pm

Just a question that anyone can answer. Do transfer fees still apply.? If a player is out of contract, it seems strange a club would need to pay a fee.
Especially strange when an AFL club can pick your player at no cost preseason or mid-season.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:35 am

Which brings us to the question of " Which of our last season's league players are at risk of being taken in the AFL preseason/midseason drafts? "
IMHO there are 2 : Max Beattie, Luke Beecken
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:19 am

Premiers wrote:Which brings us to the question of " Which of our last season's league players are at risk of being taken in the AFL preseason/midseason drafts? "
IMHO there are 2 :   Max Beattie, Luke Beecken
I have no clue hopefully they’ll take from the teams who played finals last year
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:13 pm

Premiers wrote:Which brings us to the question of " Which of our last season's league players are at risk of being taken in the AFL preseason/midseason drafts? "

I still believe PA will rookie Weckert and Kade Herbert may be a chance..
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:03 pm

Kate Herbert isn't eligible till Nov 2024 - too young.
Weckert isn't one of last season's league players (discount the one game he played)
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:35 pm

Luke Beecken should be on an AFL list.

I feel like the reason he isn't is because at that critical drafting age '18-21' he had the skills and athleticism but wasn't able to consistently string it together. He'd do one or two great things then go missing for long periods. Maybe also the victim of Coaches not allowing him to settle in one position. We have seen over the last season that he has become more and more consistent and last year there was a stretch were he was out best player. The question is whether AFL clubs will take a punt on him at his age (it's crazy that AFL clubs consider blokes aged 22-24 old!!). However if they did I think he could be a useful player at that grade.

Nathan Barkla - I see him almost as a young Luke Beecken clone. Similar weight/height, similar attributes in terms of athleticism. Not sure whether his disposal is as neat at Beeckens but as long as it's reasonable then he could become an important player for us. I took note of his stats for the Power last season and they weren't great but I suspect that was because he was thrust to league level far earlier than he should have been and not ready. But consider Beecken at the same age. Was he ready to perform at league level 4 years ago? I doubt it. So I am cautiously optimistic about Barkla's chances of improvement but we might need to be patient and wait 1-2 seasons to fully see what he is capable of.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazz Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:58 pm

I seem to recall Jungfer saying he may be a chance of coming back at some stage. Wonder if the club has kept in regular contact?
Gazz
Gazz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:31 pm

Premiers wrote:Kate Herbert isn't eligible till Nov 2024 - too young.
Weckert isn't one of last season's league players (discount the one game he played)

Maybe but remember he was SA v/c and he U18. 99% of those drafted will be U18 and no league experience.

Rookie spots has his name written on it.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:20 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:
Premiers wrote:Kate Herbert isn't eligible till Nov 2024 - too young.

Maybe but remember he was SA v/c and he U18. 99% of those drafted will be U18 and no league experience.

Rookie spots has his name written on it.

Adam D'Aloia was the SA U18 Captain last year and he was passed over in the draft despite making the U18 All- Australian Team and having a very good season across the U18s!

By comparison Weckert had a mostly poor season this year at U18/Reserves level with a few reasonable games late. And his performances in the State U18 matches were also poor. I think he has got heaps of talent but lots of people are using that 8 goal haul at Reserves level late last season and schoolboy football last year as the basis for his drafting. Plus he was physically bigger than many other kids his own age (an advantage that wears off quickly when playing with bigger bodies)

Time will tell if he can make it and I hope can. But I feel at the upcoming drafts he is only a very late pick or a rookie and remains a very strong chance of being with the Eagles next season.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:21 pm

You missed my point, Goddy.
I wrote "which one of last season's league players will be drafted?" Not which of their U18s will be drafted
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:59 pm

Premiers wrote:You missed my point, Goddy.
I wrote "which one of last season's league players will be drafted?"  Not which of their U18s will be drafted

Sorry. None. Smile
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:19 pm

I've been watching on Werribee match highlights on Youtube, trying to get some take on Jack Boyd.
Had to back-track from the VFL Finals (where he didn't feature) to Round 17 Werribee vs Northern Bullants (didn't do much) and Round 16 vs Pt Melbourne (again didn't feature much). The only mark that he seems to take in highlights was that well documented "screamer". I'm beginning to have some doubts re his ability. Wouldn't mind having that Garoni though.

Eagles supporters should watch highlights of Prelim Final Werribee vs Brisbane Lions to see Nick Hayes at his best - Nick features in all of the Rounds that I watched. It's unfortunate that his occupation will keep him in Melbourne and we'll never see him again in Eagles colours because he certainly is still near the top of his game.

But getting back to Jack Boyd - no need to worry about any AFL team grabbing him- he's not that good.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:41 pm

hawke wrote:I've been watching on Werribee match highlights on Youtube, trying to get some take on Jack Boyd.
Had to back-track from the VFL Finals (where he didn't feature) to Round 17 Werribee vs Northern Bullants (didn't do much) and Round 16 vs Pt Melbourne (again didn't feature much). The only mark that he seems to take in highlights was that well documented "screamer". I'm beginning to have some doubts re his ability. Wouldn't mind having that Garoni though.

Eagles supporters should watch highlights of Prelim Final Werribee vs Brisbane Lions to see Nick Hayes at his best - Nick features in all of the Rounds that I watched. It's unfortunate that his occupation will keep him in Melbourne and we'll never see him again in Eagles colours because he certainly is still near the top of his game.

But getting back to Jack Boyd - no need to worry about any AFL team grabbing him- he's not that good.

Bit tough there Hawke. I watched a bit. He was sharing rucking duties against Frankston. Doing well. A big boy. He had 15 disposals and 1 goal. I have to say that Werribee side looks classy. No AFL players in it.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelScott Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:56 pm

hawke wrote:I've been watching on Werribee match highlights on Youtube, trying to get some take on Jack Boyd.

Lets just hope that the peanuts we have paid for our recruits so far will mean that we are able to secure Mcpherson and Morris
MichaelScott

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:17 pm

Ok guys does anyone know the new eagles midfield coach this year ?
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:58 am

Goddsy11 wrote:

Bit tough there Hawke. I watched a bit. He was sharing rucking duties against Frankston. Doing well. A big boy. He had 15 disposals and 1 goal. I have to say that Werribee side looks classy. No AFL players in it.

Had a bit of a look at the round 13 match Werribee Vs the Blues, Werribee got up in a close one.
Jack Boyd: 14 Disp (9k/5hbs), 5 Marks (4contested), 11h/outs, 7 score invol., 2 goals.
I don't know how this compares to his other matches but I would take this from him every game.
His consistency we just don't know. Just having another threatening tall appeals greatly.

Let's see what the club drip feeds us this week.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:35 pm

As long as he shows some promise and ability - and by all accounts he has done this - then this is what counts. It shows that with confidence, continuity and the right coaching he will improve over the season. If we looked at DBR's stats last year I'm sure they wouldn't have been pleasant reading but I thought he showed continuous development across 12 months. I'd be hoping Boyd does likewise.

That said, it would be great if the club could manage to grab a key position player - either forward or back - who is 'ready to go' rather than requiring us to wait a few years. But it's getting tougher and tougher to secure these players with the good ones already playing AFL.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheedsb2b Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:50 pm

I reckon we should sign kaelen bradke as we we’re already about to sign him before he went to Richmond so hopefully we sign him he would be a great one to sign
Sheedsb2b
Sheedsb2b

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:57 pm

Yes it may be getting tougher but:
South signed Zach Sproule l(classy tall) ast season, previously Sam Skinner.
Centrals picked up McCormack, very handy.
And how Glenelg got and kept McBean from returning to the prying AFL claws was a big win for them.
We, of course, got Ballenden.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:01 pm

Yes it may be getting tougher but:
South signed 198cm Zach Sproule (classy tall) last season, previously they got 200cm Sam Skinner.
Centrals picked up McCormack, very handy.
And how Glenelg got and kept McBean years ago from returning to the prying AFL claws was a big win for them.
We, of csendSendourse, got Ballenden.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:12 pm

Funny you say that, Sheeds. Watch the Werribee vs Richmond match highlights and see what you think of him. Gee, there are a lot of Werribee tall backs and forwards I would like to bring to the Eagles. And "smalls" like the classy Manaugh would be good.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheedsb2b Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:21 pm

But we do have ballenden and Boyd and Cooke coming through and weckert hopefully he haves a good year
Sheedsb2b
Sheedsb2b

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:39 pm

Yes, preseason and footy trials will be very interesting, as always, but I think 2024 preseason trials more so than other seasons because our unknown talls can take us to new heights or be duds and relegate us to also-rans.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:29 pm

We need a workhorse tall to supplement Ballenden. Like Grocke was for Passador. If Boyd/Cooke/Weckert/Lukac can continually make themselves dangerous and allow Ballenden to do damage closer to goals, that’s a big win. T.Menzel and Pearce are talented mid-sized forwards who can take a grab. Like wimpy said earlier, the recruitment of Boyd, on paper, gives us a better balance to our forward line.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next