MichaelScott
Mara32
Peter69
Hareeba
eaglehaslanded
11 posters

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

2017 What do we need to take the next step Empty 2017 What do we need to take the next step

Post by eaglehaslanded Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:03 pm

Thinking ahead to 2017 what do we need, who should we be looking to get in, who should we be looking to move on in order for us to take the next step and win the premiership. We've been without a doubt the best club in the comp for the past 2 years. A 30-6 record in minor rounds and 2-2 in finals, yet have nothing to show for it.
eaglehaslanded
eaglehaslanded

Back to top Go down

2017 What do we need to take the next step Empty Re: 2017 What do we need to take the next step

Post by Mickyj Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:57 pm

eaglehaslanded wrote:Thinking ahead to 2017 what do we need, who should we be looking to get in, who should we be looking to move on in order for us to take the next step and win the premiership. We've been without a doubt the best club in the comp for the past 2 years. A 30-6 record in minor rounds and 2-2 in finals, yet have nothing to show for it.

i just posted on another post im reading Obrien is leaving why did we recruit him for only 1 year
Do we need to hold noto older players for so long i dunno both the original teams couldnt make finals in our life times now we make grand finals and cant win
Are we peaking to early whats going on in their minds
And do we go stuff it run the knife through the list and go get players
I feel so much like a GF loss after Fuller Hamilton and Godden we cant take a trick
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

2017 What do we need to take the next step Empty Re: 2017 What do we need to take the next step

Post by MichaelScott Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:38 pm

I don't know...but that post is a bit unclear it could mean Zac O'Brien from West who used to be a former teammate of Nick O'Brien at Essendon
MichaelScott

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:59 am

MichaelScott wrote:I don't know...but that post is a bit unclear it could mean Zac O'Brien from West who used to be a former teammate of Nick O'Brien at Essendon

ahh yeah could be
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:53 pm

Are there any rumours or facts coming out of the club in regards players we are looking at. A bit early I suppose but we probably need some runners on the wing and a ruckman. Surely its about time we used our B-grade a bit more. P Hoban who played for us a few years back won the G Southern leagues medal. I wonder if he is worth a look at again.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:54 pm

goddy11 wrote:Are there  any rumours or facts coming out of the club in regards players we are looking at. A bit early I suppose but we probably need some runners on the wing and a ruckman. Surely its about time we used our B-grade a bit more. P Hoban who played for us a few years back won the G Southern leagues medal. I wonder if he is worth a look at again.

i hope we have plans in place
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:34 pm

its all quiet west of the torrens at present
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:12 am

Mickyj wrote:its all quiet west of the torrens at present

Sure is Mickyj. 3 weeks on from the GF and everyone at oval ave seems to have disappeared. I just visited their website and crickets.  Results and match reviews of GF still from last year. Minor additions to facebook.   I must admit, I am still getting over it.

I wonder if they are all in Melbourne negotiating the Bryce Gibbs deal.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:01 pm

goddy11 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:its all quiet west of the torrens at present

Sure is Mickyj. 3 weeks on from the GF and everyone at oval ave seems to have disappeared. I just visited their website and crickets.  Results and match reviews of GF still from last year. Minor additions to facebook.   I must admit, I am still getting over it.

I wonder if they are all in Melbourne negotiating the Bryce Gibbs deal.  

lol

And Norwood are going streets ahead new coach delisted afl player returns
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:48 pm

Don't panic! Still a pretty useful team for 2017 after accounting for retirements even before recruiting starts except for a 1st knock ruckman
Gone: Redden, Ainger, Raymond, VonBertouch (rumour O/seas)

Then Team lines up:

FF     McGregor     Wundke     Bornholm
HF    N Hayes        Jack Hayes       Petrenko
C    Hall               O'Brien            Allmond
HB   Goldsworthy     C Giles          Woods
FB     Guiffreda       Thompson     ............ (?Summerton/Firns or Rakaiwasi
1st R .................. Rowntree Boyd
2nd R (Bornholm)
Res Poole , Gaffney, Lewis
Get a good big Ruckman and we'll be in the mix again. Lighten up! Life's too short to be miserable. Enjoy the journey (we get our money's worth DURING the season), not the destination (because we certainly don't on GF days).
Another new season coming up. Leave the baggage of 2016 behind - the baggage of 2015 wore too heavy in the 2016 GF.
Go Eagles!
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:52 pm

Premiers wrote:Don't panic! Still a pretty useful team for 2017 after accounting for retirements even before recruiting starts except for a 1st knock ruckman

Then Team lines up:

1st R    .................. Rowntree Boyd
2nd R (Bornholm)
Get a good big Ruckman and we'll be in the mix again. Lighten up! Life's too short to be miserable. Enjoy the journey (we get our money's worth DURING the  season), not the destination (because we certainly don't on GF days).
Another new season coming up. Leave the baggage of 2016 behind - the baggage of 2015 wore too heavy in the 2016 GF.
Go Eagles!

So what happened to Rakawasi in the seconds GF he was named but didnt play
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:11 pm

Bobby was injured in the Second Semi, tried to get up but wasn't right.
Similar story to Bomber from last year but may not have been as severe, bad enough to mean he missed though.
He was a big loss for the 2's, had a great season and really grew into a position that wasn't one he had played much (if at all) before.

Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:39 am

Columbo wrote:Bobby was injured in the Second Semi, tried to get up but wasn't right.
Similar story to Bomber from last year but may not have been as severe, bad enough to mean he missed though.
He was a big loss for the 2's, had a great season and really grew into a position that wasn't one he had played much (if at all) before.

thanks Columbo
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:26 pm

Premiers wrote:Don't panic! Still a pretty useful team for 2017 after accounting for retirements even before recruiting starts except for a 1st knock ruckman

Then Team lines up:

2nd R (Bornholm)
Get a good big Ruckman and we'll be in the mix again. Lighten up! Life's too short to be miserable. Enjoy the journey (we get our money's worth DURING the  season), not the destination (because we certainly don't on GF days).
Go Eagles!
Now were talking. Let get this thread moving. I've liked Haylock . He looks like a good player for us for a few years. Jackson Press oozes class, looks kike Bernie V a lot in his play and physically. No 23 I think Brett Ellis in the GF showed a lot of toughness. I don't know anything about him. Similar to Pooley and Boyd. I think I mentioned somewhere (loosing it after GF) P Hoban won the medal in the GS League. Is he worth another chance, I did not rate him before but ruckmen develop over time. Ramsey from the Crows was delisted so as a ex magpie I wonder if he is tied to us. Also Lowden from the crows. I don't know Paul Stewarts movement. He has not been delisted and did not nominate for free agency, does he remain at the Power.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:00 pm

goddy11 wrote:

Then Team lines up:

2nd R (Bornholm)
Go Eagles!
Now were talking. Let get this thread moving. I've liked Haylock . He looks like a good player for us for a few years. Jackson Press oozes class, looks kike Bernie V a lot in his play and physically. No 23 I think Brett Ellis in the GF showed a lot of toughness. I don't know anything about him. Similar to Pooley and Boyd. I think I mentioned somewhere (loosing it after GF) P Hoban won the medal in the GS League. Is he worth another chance, I did not rate him before but ruckmen develop over time. Ramsey from the Crows was delisted so as a ex magpie I wonder if he is tied to us. Also Lowden from the crows. I don't know Paul Stewarts movement. He has not been delisted and did not nominate for free agency, does he remain at the Power.

I hope we are looking in to all avenues to get players cause we lose them from the seconds
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:39 pm

Ethan will be better with a full pre season under his belt.
Pressy reminds me a bit of Glen Dawson, makes the boring stuff look spectacular, could become a bit of a cult figure.
Really enjoyed watching Brett Ellis play this year, Hope he hangs around, believe he played at Sturt a while back and then possibly played at McLaren Vale, was one of our best in the 2's in the GF.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:58 pm

P Hoban's departure late pre-season wrong-footed the Eagles years ago but hopefully, time heals.
Michael Karpany is available but only played half the season in the West Coast WAFL team, being dropped for several games so he might not offer any more than what we have except pace. However, still being young, if he costs nothing, worth having a look at anyone who has pace like he has and another year of maturity........

Brett Ellis. Played some excellent trial games and must have been on the edge of A grade selection early in the season. Look-alike-Rowntree, very good inside player and if he can shed 5 kg and get some outside run, he could push himself right into the mix.

Watch Gaffney develop into a very good player next year.

A weakness of the Club (as it has been for a few years) is the lack of any 198cm plus ruckman in our Seconds, U18s and U16s. (Mullins aside). Always disappointed how most other Clubs junior ruckmen dwarf the Eagle's boys - is it the water! Have to go way back to Sam Jacobs and Rhett Biglands to find a tall Eagles's ruckman who has come up through the grades.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:27 pm

we have lost Obrien just gt an email from the club
down we go
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:53 pm

We always have had a good selective recruiting policy. I am sure we will get an a good replacement(s). We could try having a go at a couple of the magpie players.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mara32 Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:19 pm

Disappointing after he announced he was staying.
With those that are gone, we should have some free cash for a midfielder, ruckman, and key defender.

Go your hardest Powelly!!!
Mara32
Mara32

Back to top Go down

Post by Hareeba Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:09 pm

O Brien is a big big loss. he is a terrific lad and good influence on the group, I had hoped he got caught up in the Eagles culture and became an Adelaidian but not to be. I am sure there is another couple of surprises in store, I am nervous about Pup seeing that Nobby has left.
Forget about previous ruckman Hoban & Sam Heinjus albeit Sam could play key position but doing too well where he is. You will find we probably wont pursue another big name ruckman because its too difficult to do something with them with rotations.
Future next year should include Press. Jack Hayes, Joe Heinjus, Haylock and we will need two key players from outside the club, hopefully Paul Stewart is one of them.
It will be an interesting release on Monday, plenty of guys from the squad moving on but we need to keep the list fresh for the next crop of juniors.
2017 looks like a rebuilding year to me.
Hareeba
Hareeba

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:40 am

Hareeba wrote:O Brien is a big big loss. he is a terrific lad and good influence on the group, I had hoped he got caught up in the Eagles culture and became an Adelaidian but not to be. I am sure there is another couple of surprises in store, I am nervous about Pup seeing that Nobby has left.
Forget about previous ruckman Hoban & Sam Heinjus albeit Sam could play key position but doing too well where he is. You will find we probably wont pursue another big name ruckman because its too difficult to do something with them with rotations.
Future next year should include Press. Jack Hayes, Joe Heinjus, Haylock and we will need two key players from outside the club, hopefully Paul Stewart is one of them.
It will be an interesting release on Monday, plenty of guys from the squad moving on but we need to keep the list fresh for the next crop of juniors.
2017 looks like a rebuilding year to me.

We will need to wait to monday i guess
Press im not certain about
Hayes I agree
The eagles need something did we allow certain players to play on one more year to make up for 2015 i dunno i feel the GF days its like Fullers days we are grest during the year and lose that killing feeling on GF day
Have we recruited the wrong players from 2015 to 2016 excluding the injuries in 2015
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:02 am

Don't follow your thinking, Hareeba, re not trying yet again for a big ruckman (despite the disappointments with Thurlow and Redden). We've got no choice, we have to have another crack. You talk about having trouble with rotations. Look at the Premiership teams of the past few years Norwood (Baulderstone) West Adelaide (Willoughby) Sturt (Osborne). Most important to get some control out of centre rather than worry about rotations. Marc Bornholm (as short backup ruckman) can rotate anyway through CHF,FF, Fpocket if needed so we can accommodate a big ruckman.
If we can't get a "ready-to-go" ruckman for 2017, let's hope we can at least get a 198 cm junior/development player in the Seconds to give some future hope.
Ironical that last year Mullins left the Eagles for Sturt, seeing no future with Redden there, and now would be in the mix whereas at Sturt, Osborne will keep him playing Seconds for a long time.
The benefit of hindsight. Had we won the Premiership, we would have said thanks to O'Brien as a huge contributor and wished him well. Now that we didn't, the fact that he's gone, makes knocking back the alternate choice (Matt McDonough) painful.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:45 am

Agree with you Premiers on the ruckman aspect. Redden is 205cm. No one else in the club comes near that. Bomber is about 197cm . The disappointment from the GF should not overshadow we have great reserves and 18's. We need to start promoting some of these guys. I am sure we will come out stronger. I am not sure who will get picked up in the draft but we will lose 2 or 3 from the 2nds and 18s. Our country zones have always produced good players. We also need more run on the wings. Ainger needs replacement and I am not convinced on Wundke even though he has performed both GF's. It's like we are playing 1 player down as he can not be moved to another posi. It's not the olden days with the stay at home FF.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Hareeba Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:51 am

Don't get me wrong, I would always take in 2 ruckmen but I believe the club is not desperate about getting another. Despite our ruck advantage this season we were still often well beaten at clearances so the thinking is more about on ball depth and thus depth with rotations. I reckon there will be another departure (or two) announced early next week which will see our forward line remodelled for next season.
Hareeba
Hareeba

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next