Aerie
35Eagles
whybother
Goddsy11
Mickyj
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Eagles v South Maughan Thiem Kia oval 11 May - Page 2 Empty Re: Eagles v South Maughan Thiem Kia oval 11 May

Post by 35Eagles Sat May 11, 2024 11:01 am

I'm hearing he may have left
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Eagles v South Maughan Thiem Kia oval 11 May - Page 2 Empty Re: Eagles v South Maughan Thiem Kia oval 11 May

Post by 35Eagles Sat May 11, 2024 11:12 am

Sorry hamstring
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sat May 11, 2024 12:56 pm

I can see Mawson and Bruce in the "B"s. Can't see anyone else from the named side.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat May 11, 2024 1:38 pm

Checking the app Macfarlane and Hansen having a good game in the seconds
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sat May 11, 2024 3:09 pm

We look disorganised. SA  playing better.  Good luck Goldy on your 200th goal in your 250 game. cheers

Why is every game against South an ugly match. I can't recall a good match.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat May 11, 2024 3:19 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:We look disorganised. SA  playing better.  Good luck Goldy on your 200th goal in your 250 game. cheers

Why is every game against South an ugly match. I can't recall a good match.

We don’t look good upto half time
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sat May 11, 2024 3:44 pm

This is the second time against a bottom team we have brought a poor attitude into the match. First quarter - we should have been 4 goals up but were mucking around trying to be too cute. South have just taken a no-nonsense approach to this match and are simply working harder.

We badly need to lift. The half-forward line in particular needs to start playing with some desperation.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat May 11, 2024 4:55 pm

Why do we struggle against South no matter where they are on the ladder
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Sat May 11, 2024 6:06 pm

Our skili level today was deplorable with field kicks missing their targets (South nailing theirs and far cleaner with "takes"). So how did we win? - our leaders showed a little more composure at critical times. But it was a wake-up  call- WE ARE NOT AS GOOD AS WE THOUGHT.
Agree with Titan re our half forward line. Not getting enough from our flankers and we badly miss another big forward besides Ballenden. Whether Jack Boyd can give us that target remains 4 weeks away given he'll need time for match fitness - may turn out to be a "Dud". Meanwhile Weckert  at 19 years of age and 6 games has done a mighty job as a key forward but has been overwhelmed in the past 2 weeks. He hasn't had the luxury of playing as the 3rd tall with the 3rd best defender. Will Pearce needs to lift and Goldie is more a "pinch-hitter" But in fairness to the forward line, the ëntries also were poor. Whether that comes down to poor leading/ structure of the forward line or simply poor skills delivering the ball by the midfielders hopefully, Sam Jacobs will work out.
Secondly, we haven't got a back pocket player for the small nippy forward pocket opposition as evidenced by South's easy goals from 20 metres out when everyone flew, the ball dropped over the back with South running into easy goals.
But with 5 wins, one loss few supporters would have expected that and we look forward to the massive test of Glenelg, Norwood, Crows in the coming weeks.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat May 11, 2024 6:57 pm

SANFL snapshot

Woodville-West Torrens survived a scare from an incredibly brave South Adelaide at Maughan Thiem Kia Oval, holding on by just five points.

Determined to celebrate in style to honour milestone men Matt Goldsworthy (250 games) and Jarrad Redden (150 games), the Eagles were forced to dig in against the plucky Panthers.

The hosts’ advantage never exceeded more than two goals for the afternoon and even found themselves behind by that margin when South’s Angus Bradley kicked truly nine minutes into the third quarter.

Panthers’ giant Damon Freitag put the visitors in front by three points approaching the tenth minute of the last term with a reflex goal but that was to be his side’s final score of the match.

Eagle goalsneak Zane Williams then snapped what proved to be the winning major of the match just two minutes later, fittingly from an unselfish Goldsworthy goal assist by hand.

James Rowe led the way on the stats sheet for his side with 26 disposals and 1.3 while captain Joey Sinor had 23 disposals, 10 tackles and five clearances for the Eagles.

Mature-age recruit Luke McKay again impressed with 20 disposals and two goals while Connor Ballenden and Troy Menzel also kicked two each.

South’s Kobe Mutch ran into good touch with 27 disposals and a goal against his former team while Ollie Davis tallied 27 touches and eight tackles.

Arlo Draper returned from injury to collect 19 disposals and two goals while Freitag and Eamon Wilkinson booted two goals each for the visitors, who came agonisingly close to their first win of the season.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sat May 11, 2024 7:15 pm

hawke wrote:Our skili level today was deplorable with field kicks missing their targets (South nailing theirs and far cleaner with "takes"). So how did we win? - our leaders showed a little more composure at critical times. But it was a wake-up  call- WE ARE NOT AS GOOD AS WE THOUGHT.
Agree with Titan re our half forward line. Not getting enough from our flankers and we badly miss another big forward besides Ballenden. Whether Jack Boyd can give us that target remains 4 weeks away given he'll need time for match fitness - may turn out to be a "Dud". Meanwhile Weckert  at 19 years of age and 6 games has done a mighty job as a key forward but has been overwhelmed in the past 2 weeks. He hasn't had the luxury of playing as the 3rd tall with the 3rd best defender. Will Pearce needs to lift and Goldie is more a "pinch-hitter" But in fairness to the forward line, the ëntries also were poor. Whether that comes down to poor leading/ structure of the forward line or simply poor skills delivering the ball by the midfielders hopefully, Sam Jacobs will work out.
Secondly, we haven't got a back pocket player for the small nippy forward pocket opposition as evidenced by South's easy goals from 20 metres out when everyone flew, the ball dropped over the back with South running into easy goals.
But with 5 wins, one loss few supporters would have expected that and we look forward to the massive test of Glenelg, Norwood, Crows in the coming weeks.

The positives – we got the points and in the scheme of things, a 5 win / 1 loss season to date with great percentage is a terrific start to the season and much, better than I had hoped.

The downside – the past three matches our team is playing only half a game of footy to win the game and exposing some big holes. We can’t be doing that if we are to be a serious challenger.
Whether forced by injury or by design our team looks unbalanced at the moment.

I agree we lack a specialized back pocket. Rowland, Beecken, Morris, Litster, Firns – all around 185cm and not suited for this task. I’d be loathe to shift Buck back there - he's been tried and it hasn't worked. Plus he's going ok forward. Williams has also been tried back there in the past and has been reasonable but he's been doing well further up the ground in the past few weeks and I hope he is left to settle there and find his feet.

Our half-forward line is a bit of a work in progress. I don’t think we can play both Menzel and Pearce in the same side as they are similar players. What to do with Pearce? This bloke is a constant frustration. Has all the skill to be a dynamic player and bobs up for a few minutes each match and looks great. But the rest of the time he is an incredibly lazy player and doesn’t chase, present or play with any desperation or intensity. Watching him today was difficult and I lost count of the number of times he let his opponent run off him. Someone needs to read him the riot act.

On another note, I’ve been keeping an eye of the reserves. I’m seeing McFarlane getting more and more of the ball each week which is terrific. Hanson has had a couple of matches at 25+ disposals. And Neumann found a decent amount of footy today which is important as Jacobs was playing him out of position as a forward pocket.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Sat May 11, 2024 7:58 pm

Fleeton bad concussion he had to get driven home by the CEO and couldn't stay by himself so my thoughts are with Cam to wish Him a speedy recovery
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Sat May 11, 2024 8:44 pm

Believe that Hudson got concussed for Flinders park today I've heard but Carter Norman got reported so suspended but surprisingly no O'Reilly showed up for the function after presentations unless he had something else on.
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Sat May 11, 2024 10:03 pm

I've heard that 2 eagles are being named in the state team which will be announced tomorrow. Obviously McKay and Rowe maybe.
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sun May 12, 2024 6:47 am

Fleeton will come under the 21 day concussion protocols so he will be available for the SUNDAY match against Norwood, should only miss one match (Glenelg) with a bye in that period.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Sun May 12, 2024 6:59 am

[quote="wimpy"]Fleeton will come under the 21 day concussion protocols so he will be available for the SUNDAY match against Norwood, should only miss one match (Glenelg) with a bye in that period.[/q

Guess it depends on how he's feeling though
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sun May 12, 2024 7:11 am

It's good to have a really close, hard match that can highlight deficiencies.
Our last half a dozen or so players on our league list are very average. We keep chopping and changing with them but not finding any that can prove themselves at league level. Hann and Barkla are just not good enough. When we are forced to play Rowlands on the wing it shows how deficient we are with good running players. Neumann and Nicholls have to improve their games if they wish to regain a league spot.
The last two games by McFarlane has shown he possibly has something to give but has died badly in the second halves, he lacks match fitness.
The last three matches by Buck have been poor in fact very poor, the opposition sit a small quick on him and he gets stifled. The disappointing part of Buck's game has been his inability to stick tackles. Yesterday he was abysmal in trying to execute tackles, tackling was one of his strengths.
I thought Mawson started to show something in the reserves but also needs to regain match fitness after his hip injury.
We are desperately in need of Knight and Beattie.
This season will be a good learning experience for Jacobs and it will give him a good idea of the areas we need to strengthen/recruit in.  
Any way we are 5-1 which we thought at the start of the season would have been a dream, and out of reach. Let's hope with a fortnight off we can get back to some good football.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sun May 12, 2024 7:15 am

35Eagles wrote:I've heard that 2 eagles are being named in the state team which will be announced tomorrow. Obviously McKay and Rowe maybe.

If it is only two players they could be Joey and Rowey.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Sun May 12, 2024 7:29 am

With the luck situation i first heard he'd left then told wimpy as i don't like to ask normally then checked with capogrecko or whatever it is then Kade said that he's still get another month. I just like to find out as not everything u hear is true so when i saw wimpy again i told him what i was told through Josh.
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Sun May 12, 2024 7:34 am

The player's or most of them had a function on after presentations downstairs so most came back in tennis gear those who went home to get changed etc.
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Sun May 12, 2024 7:53 am

Our defensive effort was poor today. Just in setting up where to be. Then there was closing down on players and tackling. South found ways to move the ball the full length of the field and break through once they got past centre far too many times.

In the end though, being able to be in front when the final siren went and banking the 2 points was important and can celebrate the milestones and reset after the bye.

Adding Knight, Beattie and Herbert will add some run to that team from yesterday.

I thought the players who played in the win against Sturt showed they were capable of playing the level. Credit to South for the way they played.

Glenelg at home, Norwood away and then Central again at home over the next 3 rounds. We'll know exactly where we sit in a months time.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sun May 12, 2024 8:37 am

Hey Wimpy! Don't write off Barkla yet - he's my little gem amongst the roughness, emerging. Sure- he's not turning heads with 8 -10 disposals but that will improve. He's been coming off the bench a bit, kicked 3-4 important goals for us in recent weeks. Has pace, elusive, good kick, courage. At Seconds level, he is a 25 disposal class player and just needs a breakout league performance to set him off. Having said that, he may well be dropped next match but he'll return.Only aged approx 20 years .
Putting my "Spotters" reputation on the line with this kid.!! (Haha!)
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sun May 12, 2024 10:40 am

Premiers wrote:Hey Wimpy!  Don't write off Barkla yet - he's my little gem amongst the roughness, emerging. Sure- he's not turning heads with 8 -10 disposals but that will improve. He's been coming off the bench a bit, kicked 3-4 important goals for us in recent weeks. Has pace, elusive, good kick, courage. At Seconds level, he is a 25 disposal class player and just needs a breakout league performance to set him off. Having said that, he may well be dropped next match but he'll return.Only aged approx 20 years .
Putting my "Spotters" reputation on the line with this kid.!! (Haha!)

I still think Williams is better!!!! I thought going in to his second year in the SANFL league Barkla would have produced more. I suppose I will just have to wait and see if he can improve.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sun May 12, 2024 10:41 am

Firns was quiet yesterday, took a couple of marks early but didn't see much of him.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Eagles Sun May 12, 2024 11:58 am

McKay Best on ground yesterday in the club rooms. Special mention to Moore. If I'd had a pen and paper I'd record the rest of them
35Eagles
35Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next