Titan2
Reddeer
wimpy
12 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

THE 2023 SEASON - Page 2 Empty Re: THE 2023 SEASON

Post by whybother Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:30 am

Read the article. Big Red has obviously found some magic pills : "Redden is a mobile big"
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:18 am

Went and watched the U18s match against West Adelaide on Sunday. It was second playing the bottom team, the Eagles won convincingly and so they should have, but I would like to point out that missing from the team were Patrick Weckert, Callum Fairall, Tom Luck and Patrick Toole who all played in the State U18 state team at Thebby Oval. Also there were eight U18 players who played Friday night in the reserves win against the top side Centrals. That's at least twelve missing from the U18 team that played Sunday. There were still many talented players that played in the U18s including Oscar Pearce 198 cm CHB, Charlie West  (first year U18) 194 cm CHF, Kade Herbert (first year U18) midfielder - last Sunday played for the state U18 team, Rome Burgoyne HB and many more, ten of the 22 are still eligible to play in next year's U18s plus a couple that played in the reserves and State team.
The depth of U18 talent is excellent, the club has done a very good job to develop these players to such a level, let's hope we can get them all together for the finals and win another premiership.

Last edited by wimpy on Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:12 am

And let us hope, hope beyond hope, that we can keep some of them to go on and into our League team!!
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:39 pm

wimpy wrote:Went and watched the U18s match against West Adelaide on Sunday. It was second playing the bottom team, the Eagles won convincingly and so they should have, but I would like to point out that missing from the team were Patrick Weckert, Callum Fairall, Tom Luck and Patrick Toole who all played in the State U18 state team at Thebby Oval. Also there were nine U18 players who played Friday night in the reserves win against the top side Centrals. That's at least thirteen missing from the U18 team that played Sunday. There were still many talented players that played in the U18s including Oscar Pearce 198 cm CHB, Charlie West  (first year U18) 194 cm CHF, Kade Herbert (first year U18) midfielder - last Sunday played for the state U18 team, Rome Burgoyne HB and many more, ten of the 22 are still eligible to play in next year's U18s plus a couple that played in the reserves and State team.
The depth of U18 talent is excellent, the club has done a very good job to develop these players to such a level, let's hope we can get them all together for the finals and win another premiership.

This is one of the reasons I am proud of my club. They encourage junior development and promote as required.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:38 pm

Great to have this bunch of young talents coming through the ranks.

I would hope that they get every opportunity to remain part of those senior squad next season - those that aren't drafted. Casting my eye at our reserves there are several names that have been playing reserves for the past 3-4 years and clearly aren't ever going to be playing league. Unfortunately renewal means the club must thanks them for their efforts but move these types on in order to make space.

On another matter, didn't the Eagles have a nephew of Byron Pickett playing for them in the U16s last year? I seem to remember some Advertiser article on him. He doesn't seem to feature anywhere in our squads - U16 or U18s. Is he still with the club or is he injured?
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:54 pm

Titan2 wrote:Great to have this bunch of young talents coming through the ranks.

I would hope that they get every opportunity to remain part of those senior squad next season - those that aren't drafted. Casting my eye at our reserves there are several names that have been playing reserves for the past 3-4 years and clearly aren't ever going to be playing league. Unfortunately renewal means the club must thanks them for their efforts but move these types on in order to make space.

On another matter, didn't the Eagles have a nephew of Byron Pickett playing for them in the U16s last year? I seem to remember some Advertiser article on him. He doesn't seem to feature anywhere in our squads - U16 or U18s. Is he still with the club or is he injured?

I heard that he was now living in Melbourne.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:16 pm

Is it better or not for the local clubs if Adelaide Crows DONT make the AFL finals? Would this have implications for the composition of the Adelaide reserves if Crows season finishes before SANFL finals begin (assuming Adelaide Reserves make finals)
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:57 pm

whybother wrote:Is it better or not for the local clubs if Adelaide Crows DONT make the AFL finals? Would this have implications for the composition of the Adelaide reserves if Crows season finishes before SANFL finals begin (assuming Adelaide Reserves make finals)

Spoke to an ex Eagle that is now with the Crows 2's as a top up at Glenelg a few weeks back, pretty sure he said they can only play 17 AFL listed come finals time.
They are in a good spot with injuries at the top level at the moment so would think the 2's would look similar to what it has for most of the season as most of the players will have played the greater percentage of their games in the SANFL and would likely have played the minimum of 3 in the second half of the season.
If the AFL season gets away from them or injuries strike that would certainly mix it up late in the season.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:10 pm

I was also wondering about the interest level at the local level if the AFL team missed the finals. The Crows mite then be looking to the future re moving players, having the magical knees cleaned out etc etc etc. All the stuff of benefit to season 2024.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:38 am

Under SANFL requirements, players must satisfy the following criteria for selection:

This is what the Adelaide football club put out just before for the 2022 SANFL finals.

"Played a higher percentage of SANFL games than AFL games
Played three SANFL games in the second half of the season
Adelaide can also only field a maximum of 17 AFL-listed players under SANFL rules."
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:44 pm

Just saw this in the Advertiser.

Former MAFS contestant and SANFL footballer Sebastian Guilhaus arrested over drug bust in Adelaide’s west

A former reality TV star and SANFL footballer – once described as one of the state’s most eligible bachelors – is behind bars on remand after a huge drug bust.
A former reality television star and SANFL footballer, who was once described as one of the state’s most eligible bachelors, is behind bars on remand charged over a significant Adelaide drug bust.

Serious and Organised Crime Branch detectives arrested former Married At First Sight contestant and topless waiter Sebastian Guilhaus, 35, at his Croydon home on Friday.

Police also seized almost a 1kg of methamphetamine, with a street value worth at least $90,000, during a raid at the inner western suburbs address.

Senior detectives described the haul as “significant”, which came as a result of an ongoing drug trafficking investigation.

OnlyFans X-rated star Guilhaus, who is a former Woodville-West Torrens 198cm ruckman, appeared in the Adelaide Magistrates Court late on Friday, charged with one count of trafficking in a commercial quantity of methamphetamine.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/former-mafs-contestant-and-sanfl-footballer-sebastian-guilhaus-arrested-over-drug-bust-in-adelaides-west/news-story/7a2eb90c0c202f7512fa8e7bb6e97763?utm_source=AdelaideNow&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Editorial&utm_content=ADV_BREAKING_NEWS-ALERT_01&net_sub_id=285893080&type=curated&position=1&overallPos=1
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Reddeer Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:01 pm

Now we are advised that Jade Sheedy, senior Coach is leaving. Along with a host of others it seems this season. That is devastating news

Last edited by Reddeer on Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : amending)
Reddeer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:12 pm

Reddeer wrote:Now we are advised that Jade Sheedy, senior Coach is leaving. Along with a host of others it seems this season. That is devastating news and just confirms to me that the wheels are falling off at the Eagles
Haven’t got the email yet so went on the club’s website. Yep he’s going seems a lot are leaving this year
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:25 pm

Reddeer wrote:Now we are advised that Jade Sheedy, senior Coach is leaving. Along with a host of others it seems this season. That is devastating news and just confirms to me that the wheels are falling off at the Eagles

And right on cue, Reddeer can be relied upon to post something negative. It's like you enjoy it. How about acknowledging the supreme effort of Jade Sheedy in winning our first ever back to back premierships and the consistency of our club over many years. I'm guessing you don't buy green Banana's just in case.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:36 pm

The Barton wrote:

And right on cue, Reddeer can be relied upon to post something negative. It's like you enjoy it. How about acknowledging the supreme effort of Jade Sheedy in winning our first ever back to back premierships and the consistency of our club over many years. I'm guessing you don't buy green Banana's just in case.
I’d like to know what’s going on players leaving coach going why what’s going on
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:46 pm

Just got the email. All the best to Jade. I wish him the best. 20/21 were enjoyable results.
The club will survive and hopefully we can appoint someone to take us back to the top.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Reddeer Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:55 pm

The Barton wrote:

Pardo me. I dont see where I didn't acknowledge Sheedy's great success with the Eagles. We all enjoyed that great time. But why leave now when all we have been saying on these posts "in Sheedy we trust" So what is going on?
Thankfully I dont know you Barton, (I hope not anyway because you wouldn't much of a friend) but I dont appreciate your comment. Was it you who has been keeping the records and history together for the club over the last 20 odd years, I bet not.
Reddeer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:19 pm

Reddeer wrote:
The Barton wrote:

Pardo me. I dont see where I didn't acknowledge Sheedy's great success with the Eagles. We all enjoyed that great time. But why leave now when all we have been saying on these posts "in Sheedy we trust" So what is going on?
Thankfully I dont know you Barton, (I hope not anyway because you wouldn't much of a friend) but I dont appreciate your comment. Was it you who has been keeping the records and history together for the club over the last 20 odd years, I bet not.
Ok guys I think that’s enough no need to fight 
We can all say we are in shock wtf is going on at oval ave
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:27 pm

We are all entitled to our opinion.
We are in a rebuilding phase, simple as that.
17 players drafted and Sheedy inherited an aging group of players that were cherry ripe for success.
Sheedy has set the foundation and direction, it's now vital we find the right replacement to see it through. Preferably someone with a strong SANFL background.
First year coaches seem to have instant success of late in the SANFL - will be interesting to see if no name from Genelg continues the trend this year.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Reddeer Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:04 pm

The Barton wrote:We are all entitled to our opinion.
We are in a rebuilding phase, simple as that.
17 players drafted and Sheedy inherited an aging group of players that were cherry ripe for success.
Sheedy has set the foundation and direction, it's now vital we find the right replacement to see it through. Preferably someone with a strong SANFL background.
First year coaches seem to have instant success of late in the SANFL - will be interesting to see if no name from Genelg continues the trend this year.
Pity you cant keep your opinion on other posters to yourself Barton instead of nasty comments
Reddeer

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:58 pm

This is a real blow! Let’s hope the Selection Panel casts their net wide. It would be great if we get a positive type (local or Victorian) who can bring 2-3 ready-made players (preferably talls and key position proven) with him to support our young and upcomers.
Waiting with bated breath.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:07 pm

Thanks Sheeds for what you’ve managed to do for the club during your time with us. I never thought I’d see back-to-back and you brought it.

He brought a zeal and enthusiasm to the club with new ideas, perspectives and gameplan which propelled the club forward. During his time certain players that were treading water suddenly had an opportunity to impress and excel because he saw something different in them. Think how different Jacob Wehr’s life would have been had Sheedy not taken over? He was stuck in the reserves and was on the verge of considering walking away from the SANFL. He would never have been drafted.

I do note that The Advertiser article about Sheedy has him saying that there was too much in his life going on for him to commit to Coaching next season so glad he is being upfront and honest. In his own words there is a big rebuild required to the club and this is going to require a lot of attention. I’d rather Sheedy step aside if he isn’t able to fully devote himself. He’s doing the right thing.

It would have been interesting to see whether the new coach would have wanted D Menzel in his plans. According to rumours one of the factors causing Menzel’s mid season departure was that Sheedy had told him he’d be overlooked going forward because he wanted to play kids. Was Sheedy right to do this given he probably knew at this point that this season would be his last as coach? Just something I'm pondering.

Regardless, now we are in the hunt for a new coach which is quite exciting. Why do I say that? Because barring the single year with Lonergan, every time the club has appointed a new coach they have reinvigorated the club and either brought success or corrected a decline and set us up as a contender within a short amount time – think Winter replacing Balme. Micken replacing Winter. Hamilton replacing Micken. Fuller replacing Micken. Godden replacing Fuller. Sheedy replacing Lonergan.

I would imagine being the coach of a successful club in the SANFL like the Eagles will be a plum gig given our history of success and will bring in many strong candidates. Looking forward to seeing who we end up with.

But until then, hopefully the players can lift for the remainder of the season and give Sheedy the winning send-off he deserves.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:04 pm

Well said The Barton and titan. Like you, I'm not seeing the wheels falling off. I watch from a distance - but I'd like to see which players are leaving in this "mass exodus" because I suspect a turnover is needed and most of the players who have debuted in league over the last two years and are still playing league now are the ones the Eagles really need to keep and build upon. I still think the players we've got are giving their best and many of our senior players are right at the end and the young players are not there yet. Sheedy has said as much himself.

I think Sheedy is a good judge and has done an incredible job. The next challenge is for someone else.

In the end, the breaking point was losing the two best players in the SANFL (Hayes and Tsitas) in the pre-season after the 2021 premiership. As good as any coach is, its the players that get the job done and these two in particular were as good for Sheedy as Sheedy was for his players.

2020/21 were special memories in uncertain times. Covid wasn't quite so bad for us Eagles supporters.

And maybe. Maybe, season 2023 isn't over just yet...

Last edited by Aerie on Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:23 pm

I was not really surprised that Sheedy has had enough. Coaching a league club and managing a building company can't be easy, as well as having a private life with family.

Best wishes to the Coach for the last four years, with 2 Premierships!!!

Hopefully the boys will respond in the best way possible for the rest of the season.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next