whybother
wimpy
Goddsy11
Mickyj
Titan2
15 posters

Page 13 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 22  Next

Go down

Eagles recruiting for season 2023 - Page 13 Empty Re: Eagles recruiting for season 2023

Post by Mickyj Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:21 pm

goddy11 wrote:Are we hearing any news on Taj Schofield, Marty Frederick.

Haven’t heard a thing Goddy wimpy May know I’m guessing
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Eagles recruiting for season 2023 - Page 13 Empty Re: Eagles recruiting for season 2023

Post by MichaelScott Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:36 pm

Do you mean Poulter? as Schofield signed for a wafl team
MichaelScott

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:44 pm

MichaelScott wrote:Do you mean Poulter? as Schofield signed for a wafl team

Thats right, Subiaco. Yes Poulter. Been quiet. Just saw this as well. Not that he any interest in us.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/870870/son-of-port-adelaide-great-peter-burgoyne-trent-vafa-star-kye-turner-in-bid-to-earn-melbourne-demons-spot
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:54 pm

Haven't heard anything about Frederick. Poulter likely to stay in Vic. with his Melb. girlfriend.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:51 pm

wimpy wrote:Haven't heard anything about Frederick. Poulter likely to stay in Vic. with his Melb. girlfriend.

Poulter was training pre-draft with the GCS.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:27 pm

With two spots on its Rookie List remaining available, the Gold Coast SUNS have invited four players to train with the club during the 2023 AFL pre-season.

Previously AFL listed duo Jed Anderson and Boyd Woodcock, as well as SUNS Academy Player of the Year Brinn Little and Frankston’s Brodie McLaughlin have been offered the opportunity to train with the SUNS AFL squad throughout pre-season.

Versatile midfielder Anderson played 99 matches over eight seasons for both Hawthorn and North Melbourne while forward Woodcock played 12 AFL matches during two seasons at Port Adelaide before featuring in Southport’s VFL squad in 2022.

SUNS Academy product Little impressed in both the NAB League and for the Allies in the 2022 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships with the 19-year-old key defender’s aerial ability and work rate being his key strengths.

wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:29 pm

wimpy wrote:With two spots on its Rookie List remaining available, the Gold Coast SUNS have invited four players to train with the club during the 2023 AFL pre-season.

Previously AFL listed duo Jed Anderson and Boyd Woodcock, as well as SUNS Academy Player of the Year Brinn Little and Frankston’s Brodie McLaughlin have been offered the opportunity to train with the SUNS AFL squad throughout pre-season.

Versatile midfielder Anderson played 99 matches over eight seasons for both Hawthorn and North Melbourne while forward Woodcock played 12 AFL matches during two seasons at Port Adelaide before featuring in Southport’s VFL squad in 2022.

SUNS Academy product Little impressed in both the NAB League and for the Allies in the 2022 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships with the 19-year-old key defender’s aerial ability and work rate being his key strengths.

We didn’t sign any of them did we wimpy
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:55 am

Don't think so.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:09 am

wimpy wrote:Don't think so.
Thanks wimpy I did look the names up on the eagles website
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:05 pm

Watched Eagles train at Ottoway Oval, Eastern Parade. Difficult to identify new recruits - need Wimpy"s help. Thought Brody Mair had put on size (height and muscle). A lot of players around 186cm mark but sadly only 4 over 193cm (Brinker-Ritchie yet to front) - Ballenden, Lukac, Phillips, Lehman and Thompson. - we're going to have a very short team, reliant on quick accurate movement away from losing rucks. A lot of good young players around the 185cm.
Given that we're not able to secure Poulter and with Frederick also looking increasingly unlikely, I wonder whether the Eagles will try for Trent Burgoyne who is presently a "train-on" player with Melbourne FC but surely! won't get picked up. I'm not sure that Trent can add anything to what we've already got. Would rather we picked up someone like Lane CHF 197cm who played in Tasmania's State U22 side. Tasmania appears to be a good recruiting area where young players are prepared to move to VFL or SA without the "go home" factor and there are several "big boys" over there who have talent.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:14 am

hawke wrote:Watched Eagles train at Ottoway Oval, Eastern Parade. Difficult to identify new recruits - need Wimpy"s help. Thought Brody Mair had put on size (height and muscle). A lot of players around 186cm mark but sadly only 4 over 193cm (Brinker-Ritchie yet to front) - Ballenden, Lukac, Phillips, Lehman and Thompson. - we're going to have a very short team, reliant on quick accurate movement away from losing rucks. A lot of good young players around the 185cm.
Given that we're not able to secure Poulter and with Frederick also looking increasingly unlikely, I wonder whether the Eagles will try for Trent Burgoyne who is presently a "train-on" player with Melbourne FC but surely! won't get picked up. I'm not sure that Trent can add anything to what we've already got. Would rather we picked up someone like Lane CHF 197cm who played in Tasmania's State U22 side. Tasmania appears to be a good recruiting area where young players are prepared to move to VFL or SA without the "go home" factor and there are several "big boys" over there who have talent.

"hawke" you missed Cooke, Cameron and Sladojevic.
We are possibly one tall short.
Looking forward to seeing Tom Luck as a future tall, whether he grows enough to make the AFL as a ruckman is debateable, but is very mobile and can find the footy possibly a future CHF. Bruce is about 190cm and Riley C-D about 191 cm
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:08 pm

wimpy wrote:
hawke wrote:Watched Eagles train at Ottoway Oval, Eastern Parade. Difficult to identify new recruits - need Wimpy"s help. Thought Brody Mair had put on size (height and muscle). A lot of players around 186cm mark but sadly only 4 over 193cm (Brinker-Ritchie yet to front) - Ballenden, Lukac, Phillips, Lehman and Thompson. - we're going to have a very short team, reliant on quick accurate movement away from losing rucks. A lot of good young players around the 185cm.

Looking forward to seeing Tom Luck as a future tall, whether he grows enough to make the AFL as a ruckman is debateable, but is very mobile and can find the footy possibly a future CHF. Bruce is about 190cm and Riley C-D about 191 cm

Riley C-D. Has he a nickname? Hyphen? I don't recall any previous players with 2 names. Very Happy
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:16 pm

No, Wimpy, I haven't missed anyone (excluding prodigy Tom Luck who won't be ready in2023).
None of the other players you mentioned are 194cm key defenders/forwards.
And we should also exclude Cameron from any plans since he's more injured than not.
So, providing Brinker-Ritchie proves to be an excellent 19 year old against hardened SANFL ruckman), that leaves us 1 tall down, providing Thompson, Ballenden and Lehmann don't miss games, so  say 2 down.  And if Brinker-Ritchie can't hold up the ruck position, 3 talls down.

But let's take a positive view - Brinker-Ritchie shows great talent and remarkably, Thompson, Ballenden and Lehman all have injury-free seasons!!!!!!!
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:00 pm

goddy11 wrote:
wimpy wrote:

I think you will find a former under 18 and now reserves player Jonte Hunter-Price fits the bill.

With Riley C-D and David B-C we will have two in the league team. Stuffs up getting their names on the magnets for the magnetic board.

Riley C-D. Has he a nickname? Hyphen? I don't recall any previous players with 2 names. Very Happy
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:08 pm

hawke wrote:No, Wimpy, I haven't missed anyone (excluding prodigy Tom Luck who won't be ready in2023).
None of the other players you mentioned are 194cm key defenders/forwards.
And we should also exclude Cameron from any plans since he's more injured than not.
So, providing Brinker-Ritchie proves to be an excellent 19 year old against hardened SANFL ruckman), that leaves us 1 tall down, providing Thompson, Ballenden and Lehmann don't miss games, so  say 2 down.  And if Brinker-Ritchie can't hold up the ruck position, 3 talls down.

But let's take a positive view - Brinker-Ritchie shows great talent and remarkably, Thompson, Ballenden and Lehman all have injury-free seasons!!!!!!!

I think I got a double header there "hawke"

I know the footy department has watched DB-C play a couple of times and also watched his videos. They are very impressed. Also don't forget he played 11 VFL games and appeared to acquit himself well. At nineteen he has plenty of time to improve.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:31 pm

Wimpy, re your quote "........and at nineteen he has plenty of time to improve"

He has, but we haven't.
We're needing for a ruckman to carry us NEXT season from Round One - hopefully, he can do it.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:56 pm

Cameron Ellis-Yolmen only Eagles/WTFC player I can recall with  hyphenated surname.
Riley Collier-Dawkins nickname could be Two Dads, or Two Mums maybe......
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:20 pm

The Barton wrote:Cameron Ellis-Yolmen only Eagles/WTFC player I can recall with  hyphenated surname.
Riley Collier-Dawkins nickname could be Two Dads, or Two Mums maybe......

You have done some homework.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:22 pm

hawke wrote:Wimpy, re your quote "........and at nineteen he has plenty of time to improve"

He has, but we haven't.
We're needing for a ruckman to carry us NEXT season from Round One - hopefully, he can do it.

We've forgotten Jack Firns!!!!!!!
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:32 pm

As much as I like Jack Firn's work ethic, team first attitude and role play, if he has to play CHF again (also only 190cm), then we haven't improved much on last season.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:18 pm

hawke wrote:As much as I like Jack Firn's work ethic, team first attitude and role play, if he has to play CHF again (also only 190cm), then we haven't improved much on last season.

I agree - and I'd be very surprised if Firns was 190cm anyway. Perhaps another name that has been left of the 190cm+ list is Weckett?

We may well have a couple of more names (recruits) that get announced, however, the inability to recruit two key position players at this point is a bit disappointing given it's clear that it was a major weakness for us last season. Does the club know something we don't I wonder? Could Cooke and Lukac have big seasons I wonder?

I am not expecting (although it would be nice) the club to necessarily recruit some 23-24 year old kPP who is established in an interstate State league and ready to go. I am fully aware that at that age you also need to find them jobs and that can be tough.

What I was expecting was for the club to perhaps target 1-2 'Cooper Sharman' types - 19-20 year olds with promise, possibly at Uni or doing Traineeships for work, who are eager to try their hand in the nation's second best footy competition with the aim of getting drafted. These types are much easier and more open to moving - they could be products of the Vic U18 system, regional country league etc.

We need at least another a couple more KPPs on our list and hope that at least one of them becomes the next 100 game player at our club.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:35 pm

Thank you for your update Hawke

So we've heard a bit about the players we have recruited. And a bit about some of our higher profile players who have departed the club. And at the start of the new season we have a batch of our best U18 players who will play Reserves in the upcoming season.

This naturally means that there is far more player turnover that is advertised - perhaps half to 3/4 of the Eagles' Reserves team from this past season will sadly no longer be on the list for season 2023 and will drift away to country leagues or the amateurs. The full departures of players on our squads generally is not not circulated to club members (at least that I am aware) but I would be interested to know which of these types will not be playing for the Eagles in 2023.

Does anyone have any idea who these players will be? Players like Wheare, Jackson, Nicholls, Wollagorang have been on the list for a while without every pushing for selection and may unfortunately be victims of the need for clubs to make hard calls on list regeneration.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:27 pm

Titan, you mentioned ".....unfortunately be the victims of the need for clubs to make hard calls on list regeneration".

Seeing how long and gut-busting the players train, I don't think many of them would want to be doing it year after year when the coach doesn't give them any chance of making it. Far from feeling the "victims", the players only want honesty from the coach as to where they're at. And then enjoy their footy elsewhere with less pressure (and maybe more money).

I thought I saw Nicholls and Jackson out at training, not Wheare or Wollergerang but that might be that they couldn't attend just that night.

Our U18s team were down on talent this year but every Eagle supporter would be rapt with the quality of the U16 Premiership Team. The Eagles had by far the largest number of U16s selected in the SANFL squad of 45 (eight, I think) and some big boys in that group. In fact, unlike the usual Eagles teams, our U16s looked taller and stronger than the opposition (and not short on pace and skills either). So even after the 2024 AFL draft takes half of those lads, there'll still be some good ones remaining. Meanwhile some good recruiting needed to carry us through the next 2 years !
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:32 am

I just don't know how fit Patrick Weckert will be and his availability for the coming season. He is in the state's U19 cricket team for the national carnival that starts in Adelaide on 15 December and has also been added to the Australian U19's squad.
His availability I assume will depend on what sport he decides to concentrate on.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:35 am

hawke wrote:Titan, you mentioned ".....unfortunately be the victims of the need for clubs to make hard calls on list regeneration".

Seeing how long and gut-busting the players train, I don't think many of them would want to be doing it year after year when the coach doesn't give them any chance of making it. Far from feeling the "victims", the players only want honesty from the coach as to where they're at. And then enjoy their footy elsewhere with less pressure (and maybe more money).

I thought I saw Nicholls and Jackson out at training, not Wheare or Wollergerang but that might be that they couldn't attend just that night.

Our U18s team were down on talent this year but every Eagle supporter would be rapt with the quality of the U16 Premiership Team. The Eagles had by far the largest number of U16s selected in the SANFL squad of 45 (eight, I think) and some big boys in that group. In fact, unlike the usual Eagles teams, our U16s looked taller and stronger than the opposition (and not short on pace and skills either). So even after the 2024 AFL draft takes half of those lads, there'll still be some good ones remaining. Meanwhile some good recruiting needed to carry us through the next 2 years !

"hawke" I think you are talking about the SANFL's U18 squad for 2023. Eagles have ten in the squad.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 22  Next