whybother
wimpy
Goddsy11
Mickyj
Titan2
15 posters

Page 12 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 22  Next

Go down

Eagles recruiting for season 2023 - Page 12 Empty Re: Eagles recruiting for season 2023

Post by Goddsy11 Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:39 pm

Mickyj wrote:
wimpy wrote:
Mickyj wrote:
NATHAN BARKLA has been selected as a rookie for port Adelaide
U18 Eagles premiership player and played 3 games for ports sanfl side last year

"Mickyj" I think you will find that Nathan Barkla was picked up as a NGA not the rookie draft. He is one they can add to their list without going through the draft. Was not good enough to be a main list or rookie draftee but they take him as they can and it bolsters their SANFL team and plays against us, an absolute disgrace.

And the Eagles FB page backs up what you’ve posted wimpy uses both category B and NGA

He still goes on their list as a rookie. Anyone could have bid on him in the main draft, but PA could match after pick 40. Adelaide had Keeler as a potential NGA but did not nominate him. A couple of players have gone to PA as NGA , I think Jones and Fredericks to mention a few.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Eagles recruiting for season 2023 - Page 12 Empty Re: Eagles recruiting for season 2023

Post by wimpy Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:41 am

goddy11 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:
wimpy wrote:
Mickyj wrote:
NATHAN BARKLA has been selected as a rookie for port Adelaide
U18 Eagles premiership player and played 3 games for ports sanfl side last year

"Mickyj" I think you will find that Nathan Barkla was picked up as a NGA not the rookie draft. He is one they can add to their list without going through the draft. Was not good enough to be a main list or rookie draftee but they take him as they can and it bolsters their SANFL team and plays against us, an absolute disgrace.

And the Eagles FB page backs up what you’ve posted wimpy uses both category B and NGA

He still goes on their list as a rookie. Anyone could have bid on him in the main draft, but PA could match after pick 40. Adelaide had Keeler as a potential NGA but did not nominate him.  A couple of players have gone to PA as NGA , I think Jones and Fredericks to mention a few.

I agree, after the main draft finished at 59 because no other team had tried to select Barkla he automatically went on ports cat "B" list because they had nominated him. Port knew he wouldn't be selected and would go to port this was just to help fill their SANFL team.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:47 am

goddy11 wrote:
wimpy wrote:I'm all for recruiting youngster like we have this pre-season, those who want to play in a better competition and meet our needs and promoting our home grown juniors. I'm not particularly keen on pinching good players from other SANFL clubs we need to have a competitive competition to attract interstate recruits. We've had a pretty good run with our juniors coming through and some times there is a lull. I think pre-season has been the right mixture.

Do you know if we have any good country kids from our zone out there Wimpy atm.

Not that I have seen. Only a couple up from last years U18s and of course Tyler Welsh from the U16s. If any country kids come out it will be after the school term finishes.
We have recruited Zane Montgomerie from Elliston Districts but Eyre Peninsula is not our country zone.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:19 am

I just want to clarify something I said early on about Sam Tilley. I said he hadn't made a state team for Tassie, I meant U18 state team that plays in the national carnival, this year he made the Tasmania state 22 and under team that played Queensland.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:35 pm

Are we looking at Brett Turner by any chance?
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:11 pm

goddy11 wrote:Are we looking at Brett Turner by any chance?

I’m wondering the same Goddy as well

Seems on SA Footy a Glenelg fan is saying Eagles are chasing him with brown paper bags
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:32 pm

If it was a choice, I would rather have a tall (195cm) key forward but Brett Turner would be a very good recruit. Sheedy, when Eagles have played against him, has often described him as a problem for the Eagles to overcome. Always a concern in these mercenary negotiations but Wundke gave us dedicated service after he swapped from South to us.

, has expressed a
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:48 pm

Riley C-D at training last night. David B-C and Max Beattie here next week.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:51 pm

hawke wrote:If it was a choice, I would rather have a tall (195cm) key forward but Brett Turner would be a very good recruit. Sheedy, when Eagles have played against him, has often described him as a problem for the Eagles to overcome. Always a concern in these mercenary negotiations but Wundke gave us dedicated service after he swapped from South to us.

, has expressed a

I checked with my source ( not wimpy ) and he wasn’t aware we’ve spoken to Turner . Told me eagles don’t use brown paper bags more like eagles back packs Smile-.
So I guess we better wait and see if we have recruited him .
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:07 pm

Mickyj wrote:
hawke wrote:If it was a choice, I would rather have a tall (195cm) key forward but Brett Turner would be a very good recruit. Sheedy, when Eagles have played against him, has often described him as a problem for the Eagles to overcome. Always a concern in these mercenary negotiations but Wundke gave us dedicated service after he swapped from South to us.

, has expressed a

I checked with my source ( not wimpy ) and he wasn’t aware we’ve spoken to Turner . Told me eagles don’t use brown paper bags more like eagles back packs Smile-.

Does your source have any intel on when or if we are planning to make any more recruiting announcements?

Frederick and Polec also not picked up either in the draft.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:18 pm

Titan2 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:

, has expressed a

Does your source have any intel on when or if we are planning to make any more recruiting announcements?

I'm sure the club would have talked to all our ex-players at some time out of respect. Would Polec still be living in Melbourne?
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:40 pm

Titan2 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:

, has expressed a

All my source said the other week 1 or 2 more signings after the draft no clue who though
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:31 pm

Mickyj wrote:
Titan2 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:

, has expressed a

All my source said the other week 1 or 2 more signings after the draft no clue who though

My guy told me Turner is not coming to the Eagles not sure where the SA footy poster got his info from going to Glenelg not to us
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:54 pm

If there is any truth that the Eagles plan to sign 2 more recruits, then they may not have enough in salary cap space to entice Brett Turner.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:26 pm

hawke wrote:If there is any truth that the Eagles plan to sign 2 more recruits, then they may not have enough in salary cap space to entice Brett Turner.
Glenelg have announced him as back.

Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:29 pm

goddy11 wrote:
hawke wrote:If there is any truth that the Eagles plan to sign 2 more recruits, then they may not have enough in salary cap space to entice Brett Turner.
Glenelg have announced him as back.

I think someone on SA footy was trying to bait us Eagles 🦅 fans
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:31 pm

My source said we were signing 1 or 2 after the draft no idea who though
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:48 pm

SPURNED EAGLE D’ALOIA TIPPED TO
SOAR AGAIN
ANDREW CAPEL
IN a week where young footballers had their dreams fulfilled, Croweater
Adam D’Aloia was one of the AFL draft’s hard-luck stories.
South Australia’s under-18 captain, MVP, All-Australian and arguably its
most respected player, D’Aloia was overlooked at the national and rookie
drafts in a devastating blow to a young man who has lofty ambitions.
While 59 players were selected in the main draft and another 27 in the
rookie draft, D’Aloia – a tough, inside Woodville-West Torrens midfielder
– missed the cut and will have to play the long game.
Understandably bitterly disappointed at being snubbed and now being
counselled by SA under-18 coach Tony Bamford and senior Eagles players,
including this year’s club champion and former Crow Riley Knight,
D’Aloia, 18, has the character and talent to bounce back, according to
SANFL head of talent Brenton Phillips.
Phillips insisted D’Aloia’s AFL dream was not over and that he would put
his head down and continue to work hard to eventually force his way on to
an AFL list after this year’s rookie draft was used by some clubs to redraft
veterans instead of its original purpose of identifying and nurturing young
talent.
“It’s definitely not over for Adam,’’ Phillips said of the clearance king.
“He is a young player the SANFL rates very highly and his pathway back is
through the SANFL with the Eagles.
“That has to be his focus, proving himself through that avenue because he
will get opportunities to do that.’’
Phillips used fellow SANFL players, Sturt’s Tom Emmett and Central
District’s Rhett Montgomerie, as examples of how being overlooked in
your draft year is not the be-all and end-all.
Forward Emmett was drafted by Fremantle at age 21 in the third round of
the national draft on Tuesday night (pick 41) while key defender
Montgomerie, 22, was picked at No.4 in the rookie draft by Essendon.
“At the moment, Adam will be shattered because he will think the door
has been shut on him but that’s not the case, so it’s a matter of him
dusting himself off and getting going again,’’ Phillips said.
D’Aloia was a victim of clubs taking more notice of his flaws (pace,
kicking) instead of his standout qualities (ballwinning ability, tackling,
leadership).
Only No.2 draft pick Will Ashcroft (Brisbane father-son selection)
averaged more Champion Data ranking points (153) at the under-18
national carnival than D’Aloia (133).
Clubs using fewer draft picks this year also hurt D’Aloia.
Overall, the SANFL was pleased with having 16 players picked, headlined
by Eagles midfielder Mattaes Phillipou’s selection by St Kilda at No.10 in
the national draft.
“It was a fantastic result and underpins the strength of our league, the fact
that our competition is highly valued by AFL clubs and that we are
developing many elite young footballers through our elite talent
development programs,’’ Phillips said
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:16 pm

In case you missed it and a bit of info in a quiet week

Troy Menzel admits he had very little idea that Carlton would select him in the 2012 National Draft.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/12/05/absolutely-no-idea-why-former-blues-draftee-expected-bulldogs-move/
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:57 pm

Yes it certainly is a quiet week.

I'm paying attention to the AFL news listening to which players are being invited to train with AFL clubs for potential SSP selection. So far not eagles in that category.

In response to Goddy's earlier story concerning D'Aloia. I feel so sorry for the poor kid. What more can he do to get drafted...even as part of the rookie list? I didn't really get to see much of him play so only see his stats which always look impressive. But I must admit the first time I did see him play this year my first though when I saw him kicking the footy was "that looks like a bit of awkward style". But I do think AFL scouts sometimes tend to focus more on what these draftees do wrong as opposed to what they do right. Maybe the the other thing counting against him is that AFL clubs like players who can play multiple positions whereas D'Aloia seems like he may only be an 'in and under' onballer. I just hope Sheedy gives him every single opportunity to play League this season. By all accounts he has a great attitude and leadership and anyone who is dedicated and wants to prove them wrong is welcome at the Eags as far as I am concerned.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:43 pm

Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:42 am

Had a chat to Zane Williams he did NOT talk in glowing terms of the VFL, was glad to get back home. I think mid-year draft contracts of six months should be banned.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:29 am

And then of course there is the sad story of an ill-prepared Jack Hayes, thrown into AFL games against players who had a full pre-season.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Reddeer Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:12 am

wimpy wrote:Had a chat to Zane Williams he did NOT talk in glowing terms of the VFL, was glad to get back home. I think mid-year draft contracts of six months should be banned.
The whole bloody stupid mid season draft should be banned. We are not america
Reddeer

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:57 am

Are we hearing any news on Taj Schofield, Marty Frederick.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 22  Next