whybother
wimpy
Goddsy11
Mickyj
Titan2
15 posters

Page 7 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 22  Next

Go down

Eagles recruiting for season 2023 - Page 7 Empty Re: Eagles recruiting for season 2023

Post by Aerie Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:28 pm

Is Ben Jungfer still working interstate or is he a chance to return?
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Eagles recruiting for season 2023 - Page 7 Empty Re: Eagles recruiting for season 2023

Post by wimpy Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:23 am

Just heard on SEN radio this morning that Rory Lehmann will be working for SEN radio, it didn't say in what capacity or if it was full time or not. Previously there was some speculation that he might be working part time in Melbourne and Adelaide for the MCG, interesting to see what pans out.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:52 am

Dale Pearce signed with Centrals. Enjoy the drive and hope he still has 4 wheels when he finishes training Smile. Centrals fans are excited though!
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:45 am

I reckon next week might be the start of hearing about some of the recruits the Eagles might have secured. Most clubs have been gradually drip feeding names of recruits to their supporters except Centrals who have opened the flood gates. The Eagles could be a little compromised here as they would have to wait for the fate of several delisted AFL players in up coming drafts.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:13 pm

wimpy wrote:I reckon next week might be the start of hearing about some of the recruits the Eagles might have secured. Most clubs have been gradually drip feeding names of recruits to their supporters except Centrals who have opened the flood gates. The Eagles could be a little compromised here as they would have to wait for the fate of several delisted AFL players in up coming drafts.

All the former eagles players who got delisted from their clubs are all small players. I'll take them but they really aren't the types of players we really need which are a key forward, key back and a ruckman. It's always a bit dangerous recruiting delisted AFL players if they weren't former Eagles juniors because they don't always have the right attitudes and often only hang around for 1 year - when they don't get picked up they often take off back to Melbourne the following year.

I hope we aren't exclusively chasing our 'talls' from an ex-AFL list. I feel like there are bargain players in their early 20s running around in the Tas State league, VFL and even country who can slot straight into our league side. Hopefully we can attract a couple from such leagues as these often become 5-10 year players at the club which is important for stability.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:41 pm

"I hope we aren't exclusively chasing our 'talls' from an ex-AFL list. I feel like there are bargain players in their early 20s running around in the Tas State league, VFL and even country who can slot straight into our league side. Hopefully we can attract a couple from such leagues as these often become 5-10 year players at the club which is important for stability."[/quote]

Very intuitive "Titan2", I would like this to be the club's thinking and it just might be. Specific targeting is a must. I think the club has a very good network. One of the best relationships would have to be Luke Powell and Mark McKenzie. We have proved in the past we can unearth some gems. There is a lot of football played in the vast area between Port Douglas, Ceduna and Hobart to find these gems.
After losing Mutch and Clarke, we still need a couple of on ballers. If fit, Lehmann, Thompson and Cameron should be the mainstay of the defence. Ballenden, D. Menzel and Weckert (also possibly Welsh) should form part of an improved attack.
A mobile ruckman is a non-negotiable. Also, we must get more out of Luke Beecken. I think we could look quite a bit younger next season. With Sheedy at the helm my expectations are high.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:43 pm

Rowey out training with the boys tonight.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:59 pm

Perhaps Ballenden should be the ruckman. I know he wants to play forward, but if he’s more effective as a ruck and we’re in need…

We have a number of young forwards who should be ready to step up.

Rowe would be an amazing recruit, but the chances of him getting through the drafts, the pre-season recruiting period and then the mid-season draft are very slim. I think we’d see Rowe V.2. be primarily a midfielder, but he’ll always have that goal sense.

There is a need to find the next long term key defender to replace Thompson. Most seasons since 1991 we’ve been blessed with a reliable and capable Full Back.

Is Clay Cameron expected to play for us in 2023?
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:17 pm

Clay Cameron has had difficulty staying on the field for 3 consecutive games, then misses 4.
Lehmann has played some very important "stopping roles" but gives us no rebound. Thompson, of course, has/is very good but each year we ask"is this his last year" so yes, we do need another tall (minimum 195cm) Thompson-like defender.

Re Ballenden as a ruckman, he is OK around the ground with his run but lacks the strength to hold his ground at boundary throw-ins and ball ups; also only mediocre with directing his taps. I see him better as a key forward (or back). But still need another tall strong forward besides a tall ruckman. Height! Height! Height! the catch-cry. That way Dan Menzel in the forward pocket (this time) continues to kick 50 goals. Might be a dangerous last line in attack of D. Menzel, Ballenden, J Rowe.
Whereas young Weckert and Welsh might play, it's unlikely that they're going to be the answer in their first season and Lukac, Cooke, Sladojevic have a long way to go, Aerie

hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:58 pm

I wonder if anyone is looking at Martin Frederick in the draft. Good player.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:50 am

goddy11 wrote:I wonder if anyone is looking at Martin Frederick in the draft. Good player.

The general consensus is that he will end up in WA either at Fremantle or a WAFL club as support for his brother.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:13 am

I think you will find the club will snag a ruckman from somewhere, allowing Ballenden to play mainly forward and do a little forward rucking.
It's nice to have the perfect wish list but there are many, many teams trying to recruit players. In some cases recruits have to be convinced to change states which is difficult.
D. Menzel, Ballenden, Williams, Rowe (if not redrafted), Pearce, Weckert and Welsh will give a variety of mixes up forward plus any new recruits we get that might be able to run through the forward area.
The club just can't fill up their list with recruits like centrals have done. Developing and promoting juniors is a must to ensure we get the mix right and the desire for juniors to want to play league football at the Eagles.
We have done well getting Beecken, Litster, Buck, Williams, Pearce, Rowe, Studham, Pudney, Weckert and Welsh to league or near league standard that will be available this upcoming season.
Don't get distressed at this time, let's see what we end up with player wise.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:18 pm

Just saw this on SAFooty

Former Central District game day assistant Matt Knight and well known media man (KOTN) is the new Eagles Reserves coach for 2023.

Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:59 pm

goddy11 wrote:Just saw this on SAFooty

Former Central District game day assistant Matt Knight and well known media man (KOTN) is the new Eagles Reserves coach for 2023.

Saw that as well
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:12 pm

He's been at the club for three years, was one of Sheedy's line coaches last year. Ex reserves coach Brad Graham will be the mid-field coach for Sheedy this season.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:30 pm

wimpy wrote:

He's been at the club for three years, was one of Sheedy's line coaches last year. Ex reserves coach Brad Graham will be the mid-field coach for Sheedy this season.

Why is it being announced on SA footy
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:04 pm

I think you will find "Big Phil" knows Matty Knight. I don't think the club saw it as a big deal in swapping a few coaching positions therefore no official announcement at the moment.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:14 pm

wimpy wrote:I think you will find "Big Phil" knows Matty Knight. I don't think the club saw it as a big deal in swapping a few coaching positions therefore no official announcement at the moment.

Yeah Big Phil is in the media less said about that don’t want to get in trouble saying the wrong thing
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:19 am

hawke wrote:Clay Cameron has had difficulty staying on the field for 3 consecutive games, then misses 4.
Lehmann has played some very important "stopping roles" but gives us no rebound. Thompson, of course, has/is very good but each year we ask"is this his last year" so yes, we do need another tall (minimum 195cm) Thompson-like defender.

Very astute comment. Thinking back to 1991 we've mostly always had a very reliable and well regarded fullback on our list. Spehr until perhaps the mid to late 90s, then Hall for 10-12 years from 2000. Then Thompson from about 2012 onwards.

I'm not convinced that the Eagles' next '10 year full back' is currently at the Club at the moment and that is a bit worrying as this will surely be Thompson's last season with us. Where and who is the club's next generation of tall defenders >193cm?

We can't rely on Cameron being that person as his injury record demonstrates he will only play 5 games a season. I'd arguably put Lehmann in the same category due to his dodgy hamstrings meaning he misses big chunks of the season.

For this reason I think recruiting a key defender is just as important to us this year as recruiting a key forward and a ruckman.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:10 am

Titan2 wrote:
hawke wrote:Clay Cameron has had difficulty staying on the field for 3 consecutive games, then misses 4.

Very astute comment. Thinking back to 1991 we've mostly always had a very reliable and well regarded fullback on our list. Spehr until perhaps the mid to late 90s, then Hall for 10-12 years from 2000. Then Thompson from about 2012 onwards.

I'm not convinced that the Eagles' next '10 year full back' is currently at the Club at the moment and that is a bit worrying as this will surely be Thompson's last season with us. Where and who is the club's next generation of tall defenders >193cm?

We can't rely on Cameron being that person as his injury record demonstrates he will only play 5 games a season. I'd arguably put Lehmann in the same category due to his dodgy hamstrings meaning he misses big chunks of the season.

For this reason I think recruiting a key defender is just as important to us this year as recruiting a key forward and a ruckman.

There were a couple who were only with us a short time, but had a big impact too. Zac Hier was a real find and key player for us as a young 19 year old in the 2006 premiership. A shame he didn't hang around. Ben Grieger as well was a very good player in that position, having recruited him from Lameroo/West Adelaide as an experienced and established player. Not sure there are any Zac Hier's coming through juniors so we might need to find the next Grieger - unless Lehmann can up his game to another level.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:14 pm

Good to see Jimmy Rowe has been signed by the club, let's hope he doesn't get drafted now.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:54 pm

wimpy wrote:Good to see Jimmy Rowe has been signed by the club, let's hope he doesn't get drafted now.

Great news. Eagles recruiting for season 2023 - Page 7 28327 Eagles recruiting for season 2023 - Page 7 28327
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:00 pm

wimpy wrote:Good to see Jimmy Rowe has been signed by the club, let's hope he doesn't get drafted now.

I must’ve missed that
Helps when I read the club email 😂
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:40 pm

Great news. Superb player. Instantly makes us a better team and will add at least an extra goal a game to our average 2022 score.

That said, I do feel like this is a bit of a premature announcement brought on by the club feeling a bit of pressure that every other team is announcing multiple recruits whereas there has only been crickets from our own. So much has to go right for him to step out for us in Round 1 next season.

If reports are to be believed the Western Bulldogs are very interested in drafting him and you could easily see a situation where he is listed as a pre-season selection. Not sure if he also qualifies for the rookie draft?
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:33 pm

Would think Rowey and Zane Williams might share/alternate some mid-field time now that Mutch and Clarke have gone.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 22  Next