whybother
wimpy
Goddsy11
Mickyj
Titan2
15 posters

Page 11 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Go down

Eagles recruiting for season 2023 - Page 11 Empty Re: Eagles recruiting for season 2023

Post by whybother Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:13 am

I was thinking much the same about D, but I was hoping not to stir up the Footy Gods about raising his profile.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Eagles recruiting for season 2023 - Page 11 Empty Re: Eagles recruiting for season 2023

Post by wimpy Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:22 am

whybother wrote:I was thinking much the same about D, but I was hoping not to stir up the Footy Gods about raising his profile.

Recruiters would have dissected his game over and over again. Main negative is he is a one trick pony, a bit of a plodder and is not able to play any other position, I feel sorry for him, he has had a great junior career and now is being kicked in the guts. Maybe the "footy gods" might smile on us.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:44 am

wimpy wrote:
whybother wrote:I was thinking much the same about D, but I was hoping not to stir up the Footy Gods about raising his profile.

Recruiters would have dissected his game over and over again. Main negative is he is a one trick pony, a bit of a plodder and is not able to play any other position, I feel sorry for him, he has had a great junior career and now is being kicked in the guts. Maybe the "footy gods" might smile on us.

Pace is one of the negatives I have read. He is an accumulator of possessions though. This time last year he was being rated a top 20 pick. Only 18. Rowey missed a couple of draft. I still think someone will rookie him.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:46 am

Cows or Pear will be a strong chance to grab Adam as a Rookie today. All is not lost for him if he happens to miss this years draft. A strong SANFL season will keep his name up there for future drafts.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:14 am

I hope that neither local AFL teams pick D up.....then he would be playing against us. I think it most unfair that a good SANFL talent gets picked up by a local AFL team and ends up playing in their SANFL team....weakens us and strengthens them
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:21 am

Yep, it's crap. Like Michaelanny who will be playing against Norwood all year. And Tom Scully against West. At least Jimmy Rowe only played the one game against us. The AFL has no feel for grass roots footy.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:38 pm

NATHAN BARKLA has been selected as a rookie for port Adelaide
U18 Eagles premiership player and played 3 games for ports sanfl side last year
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:03 pm

D'Aloia and Poulter both passed over in the Rookie Draft.

Collier-Dawkins and Rowe also not called out.

From the eagles' point of view that is a fantastic outcome. The final hurdle will be the SSP. I believe 12 teams passed at the Rookie Draft meaning AFL clubs can add a total of 12 selections to their list and they will invite such players to train with them over Summer. Surely we will at least have two of those four names wearing our colours in Round 1 next year?

Next step for the Eagles coaching staff - try and get Poulter to come back to SA and to conditionally sign with the Eagles i.e. agrees to play with us on condition he doesn't get picked up!!!
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:14 pm

Titan2 wrote:D'Aloia and Poulter both passed over in the Rookie Draft.

Collier-Dawkins and Rowe also not called out.

From the eagles' point of view that is a fantastic outcome. The final hurdle will be the SSP. I believe 12 teams passed at the Rookie Draft meaning AFL clubs can add a total of 12 selections to their list and they will invite such players to train with them over Summer. Surely we will at least have two of those four names wearing our colours in Round 1 next year?

Next step for the Eagles coaching staff - try and get Poulter to come back to SA and to conditionally sign with the Eagles i.e. agrees to play with us on condition he doesn't get picked up!!!

We may need to wait and see if my source is correct with 1 or 2 signings after this weeks draft .
Wasn’t told who they are.
I think we’ve lucked out so far with the draft other SANFL clubs haven’t been as lucky
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:21 pm

Prior to the Rookie Draft I was also reading some of the names who were predicted might get selected and wondering if there are any key position players and ruck options to keep an eye on. I note the following names were not selected. On paper at least they sound very promising prospects that I reckon the Eagles should reach out to -

Oliver Northam (Geelong Falcons), 18 years old, 197cm, 89kg -  ruckman-forward who played all four games for Vic Country of the recent U18 Championship. https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/olivier-northam/

Ethan Phillips (Port Melbourne), 23 years old, 196cm, 94kg - a tall defender who won the Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal which is awarded to the VFL's most promising U23 talent. https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/ethan-phillips/

Although I don't think the Eagles should be targeting midfielders at this point - key position players need to be our focus - I also liked the sound of the following as a midfielder who I believe would thrive in the SANFL -

Mitch Szybkowski (Dandenong Stingrays), 18 years old (186cm, 86kg) - a tough onballer who played for Vic Country averaging 24 disposals across his matches. https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/mitch-szybkowski/
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:26 pm

Great research Titan2 - Wimpy will be impressed with this level of detail  Eagles recruiting for season 2023 - Page 11 1f600
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:26 pm

I like your thinking, Titan.
we went into our recruiting hoping the Targets would be:
1. a ready-to-go SANFL standard ruckman
2. a tall strong key forward
3. a tall key defender (give the rebound that Lehman can't give + a backup for when Cameron/Lehman/Thompson are injured).
4.  a goal kicking small forward pocket (a la Rowe, Stengle)
5 a class midfielder to replace Dylan Clark.

Results:
1.    X
2.    X
3.    X
4.    Tick
5.    Tick
Hopefully, we're able to tick boxes 1-3 in the coming days.
(Can't rely on youngsters Weckert Welsh Lukac to fill the void in 2023 against seasoned defenders)
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:26 pm

Mickyj wrote:

"Mickyj" I think you will find that Nathan Barkla was picked up as a NGA not the rookie draft. He is one they can add to their list without going through the draft. Was not good enough to be a main list or rookie draftee but they take him as they can and it bolsters their SANFL team and plays against us, an absolute disgrace.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:36 pm

wimpy wrote:
Mickyj wrote:

"Mickyj" I think you will find that Nathan Barkla was picked up as a NGA not the rookie draft. He is one they can add to their list without going through the draft. Was not good enough to be a main list or rookie draftee but they take him as they can and it bolsters their SANFL team and plays against us, an absolute disgrace.

It came up on Facebook so I could be wrong no argument from me .
Did we get a payment for him playing those 3 SANFL games he played for the magpies I’m seem to recall something like that !
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:38 pm

wimpy wrote:
Mickyj wrote:

Just looked him up on the SANFL FB page he’s been drafted as a category B rookie
Perhaps that means what you’ve said Wimpy
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:39 pm

The Barton wrote:Great research Titan2 - Wimpy will be impressed with this level of detail  Eagles recruiting for season 2023 - Page 11 1f600

I like the post, but we still have to pay recruits, find them jobs and accommodation it all costs money. We still have to give incentives and pathways to our own juniors to progress, at the moment we have a very good list, a lot of other clubs would like it, we must make sure the mix of recruitment and home grown development is right.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:41 pm

wimpy wrote:
Mickyj wrote:

And the Eagles FB page backs up what you’ve posted wimpy uses both category B and NGA
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:49 pm

hawke wrote:Agree with you, Titan re Riley Collier-Dawkins.
I wonder what has prompted  WWTFC to announce his signing just before the draft. I hope it's not the shortest signing of a gun recruit because he seems the perfect pickup on an AFL rookie list.

Fingers-crossed anyway

I think you will find the club was quite confident that Riley C-D and Rowey wouldn't get redrafted although we could still lose them, that's why their recruitments were announced, they were a little unsure about Caleb Poulter. I think they get quite reliable info.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:53 pm

We still have to give incentives and pathways to our own juniors to progress, at the moment we have a very good list, a lot of other clubs would like it, we must make sure the mix of recruitment and home grown development is right.[/quote]

Wimpy, I suspect that the Eagles assessed the players graduating from the U18s this season were not up to the standard of previous years (finished near bottom) and made the conscious effort of recruiting several 19 year olds to fill the void. Other Clubs like North Adelaide, Glenelg, Norwood with their 2022 good junior crop have been able to focus on the 21-25age group of seasoned recruits. So it's good that Eagles recognised this but it's not as though we're in front of the other Clubs re junior talent - we've just maybe drawn level with them.
However, we've got a very impressive U16 group coming through (U18s next year) and won't have the same situation.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:42 pm

I thought it was looking gloomy a couple of weeks ago but after last week's recruits and a reasonable draft result, it is much better. We lost 2 of our very best in the preseason last year so I hope it's much better this time around. Another big defender a solid goal kicking forward would be good. Let's hope some of the kids have matured over the off-season body wise.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:44 pm

I'm all for recruiting youngster like we have this pre-season, those who want to play in a better competition and meet our needs and promoting our home grown juniors. I'm not particularly keen on pinching good players from other SANFL clubs we need to have a competitive competition to attract interstate recruits. We've had a pretty good run with our juniors coming through and some times there is a lull. I think pre-season has been the right mixture.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by WTinFamSince1800s Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:51 pm

Wimpy YES! a great mix we have. I'm not one to be negative but a Challenge for our Club will be that stupid AFL midseason draft....smh
WTinFamSince1800s
WTinFamSince1800s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:45 pm

wimpy wrote:I'm all for recruiting youngster like we have this pre-season, those who want to play in a better competition and meet our needs and promoting our home grown juniors. I'm not particularly keen on pinching good players from other SANFL clubs we need to have a competitive competition to attract interstate recruits. We've had a pretty good run with our juniors coming through and some times there is a lull. I think pre-season has been the right mixture.

Do you know if we have any good country kids from our zone out there Wimpy atm.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:44 pm

wimpy wrote:

He keeps getting best on every game he plays. You wonder whether some recruiters even watch football or they are pre-occupied with their numbers. What more could he do? Hopefully for him he has a similar story to Lachy McNeil.

I remember briefly watching an U18 state game this year and couldn’t believe a certain player was picked to play state football - he looked completely below the level. He apparently tested well in the combine and then Port pick him on Monday night! Then again, I remember thinking Nathan Bock was hopeless prior to AFL and he turned out very good, so I’ll probably be wrong again!
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:58 pm

Aerie,
In more recent times, our Zane Williams to Geelong - surprised many.

In contrast, there must be a chink somewhere in Riley Collier-Dawkins profile 'cause he just looks too good for SANFL.

hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next