whybother
wimpy
Goddsy11
Mickyj
Titan2
15 posters

Page 10 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Go down

Eagles recruiting for season 2023 - Page 10 Empty Re: Eagles recruiting for season 2023

Post by hawke Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:30 pm

Agree with you, Titan re Riley Collier-Dawkins.
I wonder what has prompted  WWTFC to announce his signing just before the draft. I hope it's not the shortest signing of a gun recruit because he seems the perfect pickup on an AFL rookie list.

Fingers-crossed anyway
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Eagles recruiting for season 2023 - Page 10 Empty Re: Eagles recruiting for season 2023

Post by Goddsy11 Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:17 pm

hawke wrote:Agree with you, Titan re Riley Collier-Dawkins.
I wonder what has prompted  WWTFC to announce his signing just before the draft. I hope it's not the shortest signing of a gun recruit because he seems the perfect pickup on an AFL rookie list.

Fingers-crossed anyway

Probably what most of are thinking.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:15 pm

goddy11 wrote:

Fingers-crossed anyway

Don't get me wrong - I think the Eagles have done a fantastic job targeting someone like this (thinking big) and I really hope he plays with us.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:21 pm

David Brinker-Ritchie our ruckman from Box Hill hasn't nominated for the AFL Draft.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:48 pm

wimpy wrote:David Brinker-Ritchie our ruckman from Box Hill hasn't nominated for the AFL Draft.

Fantastic news wimpy
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:00 am

Titan2 wrote:
goddy11 wrote:

Fingers-crossed anyway

Don't get me wrong - I think the Eagles have done a fantastic job targeting someone like this (thinking big) and I really hope he plays with us.

I think we signed RC-D as insurance (if he doesn't get redrafted) against another SANFL getting him, I believe Sturt were into him in a big way, if he ends up with us, it will be a significant signing.
Also, we fought a hard battle with Sturt to get Max Beattie but our long term benefits out weighed Sturt's. I look forward to watching Beattie he is a highly thought of player.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:32 am

wimpy wrote:
Titan2 wrote:
goddy11 wrote:

Fingers-crossed anyway

I think we signed RC-D as insurance (if he doesn't get redrafted) against another SANFL getting him, I believe Sturt were into him in a big way, if he ends up with us, it will be a significant signing.
Also, we fought a hard battle with Sturt to get Max Beattie but our long term benefits out weighed Sturt's. I look forward to watching Beattie he is a highly thought of player.

Interesting we’ve signed ( fingers crossed not drafted ) 2 young midfielders gives Sheedy more options . And it’s great we could actually beat another sanfl club
Now I know eagles need a big forward let’s look back our big forwards worked when we had a winning mid field. Yes I know that includes a big ruck who wins the tap work . Also helps smalls who can take the ball away at centre bouncers .
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:50 pm

Now that we have done basically all our recruiting what about a few posters having a go at assembling our best team for the start of the season, include those who are a possibility to be re-drafted.

Here's my first attempt.

F: D. Menzel.....Weckert.....Hardie

HF: Rowe.....Ballenden.....Williams

C: Beattie.....Knight.....Beecken

HB: Litster.....Thompson.....Toumpas

B: Rowland.....Lehmann.....Cameron

Ruck: Brinker-Ritchie, Collier-Dawkins, Sinor

Inter: G'Worthy, Pearce, Studham, Comma, Firns, McFarlane, Tilley,
Mawson, Montgomerie, Lonergan, Buck, Bruce.

I would like to get Pearce and Studham in to the starting eighteen but at the moment I can't. Maybe Pearce for Hardie.

I see Knight, Sinor, Collier-Dawkins, Rowe, Hardie and possibly Williams sharing mid-field time.

Hardie's position would depend on how Tilley and Mawson come along.

I've most probably forgotten someone. Most of the new recruits form is not known and it's only a guess at how they will perform at SANFL level.
Tilley is an on baller, can rest up forward and kick a goal. Mawson is more a halfback/mid. Montgomerie a third defender something like Giuffreda.
Carter Norman played F/F at Nth Albury but would not be a key position forward at SANFL level, could play sought of a third tall role or a flank position.
Sladojevic I see as a big man utility.

My team will most probably not look anything like the starting team, but it's something to be picked apart ("Hawke").
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:58 pm

Yes, it is a bit of a pig in the poke at the moment. I would have to see how the recruits go in the trial games. And did Weckert get his thumb (?) fixed properly?
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:22 pm

That's a pretty good first up attempt at how our Round 1 team could look. I can't pick any holes in it; I'll leave that for someone else  Rolling Eyes 
We will be far better prepared as a team this year than last
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:46 pm

Could Firns play CHB or FB? He is strong. Uses his body well and plays taller than he is. He is a proven, experienced player at SANFL level.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:34 am

Aerie wrote:Could Firns play CHB or FB? He is strong. Uses his body well and plays taller than he is. He is a proven, experienced player at SANFL level.

Agree "Aerie", always like having Firns in the team, reasonably versatile and always tough, little undisciplined at times and his kicking can be a bit off.

Early there is going to be a fair bit of the unknown. I think the coach will have quite a lot of game practice training to sought out best positions.

We seem to be moving towards a more up tempo and skilful game. With the type of players we have recruited, are there places for both Firns and Comma in the team?

Looking back on last season our onballers/mids lacked the ability to kick goals, Mutch (2 goals), Clarke (3), Knight (2), Sinor (3), Lonergan (2), Comma (11), Hardie (12) and Goldy (13). It appears some of our recruits have goal kicking attributes along with some pace to help increase our goal tallies.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:57 pm

Yes, we were very one dimensional last year with all roads leading to D. Menzel. In the modern game this strategy doesn't work as we discovered only too well in 2015 and 16 with Wundtke. Should be a very different forward line in 2023 and one that will cause opposition coaches a few headaches (not Hand though!)
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:11 pm

The Barton wrote:Yes, we were very one dimensional last year with all roads leading to D. Menzel. In the modern game this strategy doesn't work as we discovered only too well in 2015 and 16 with Wundtke. Should be a very different forward line in 2023 and one that will cause opposition coaches a few headaches (not Hand though!)

Yep I agree and I think or hope our midfield will feed our forwards to.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:41 pm

Wimpy,
Without knowing the form of our new youngsters and taking a big punt that we'll get Caleb Poulter and retain Rowe and RCD, my "fantasy team"

FF D Menzel Ballenden Rowe
HF Williams Firns Goldsworthy
C Beecken Poulter Beattie
HB Studham Lehman Toumpas
BB Litster Thompson Cameron

1st Ruck Brinker-Ritchie, Collier-Dawkins, Knight
2nd Ruck Ballenden, Rowland, Sinor (with Rowe having brief stints)
Res : Rowland, Sinor, "Anybody" , "ANYBODY"

Wimpy, I see Sam Rowland as not suitable in back pocket on elusive quick rovers - better for him out at HB or as a strong bodied midfielder. I see James Rowe as "unbeatable" close to goal rather than HF, with valuable stints on the ball to also shake the tag. I'm reluctant to play Firns CHF but until Weckert shows his strengths, I'll go for Firns's honest efforts. If Weckert plays then Firns must be on the bench. If we get RCW, Poulter, Rowe, Knight (with Sinor, Rowland), only North's midfield could match it. Interesting that both of us have no place for Sam Lonergan at this stage - hopefully Sam can show increased mobility in 2023 to make us pick him.

I am concerned whether a 19 year old body such as Brinker-Williams can stand up to the battering that he will get throughout the season from mature bodies of Boyd, Harvey, Brooksby. Noticed he took a total of 14 marks in 12 matches last season so supporters shouldn't expect huge things in his first season (his tapwork numbers appear good)
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:01 pm

hawke wrote:Wimpy,
Without knowing the form of our new youngsters and taking a big punt that we'll get Caleb Poulter and retain Rowe and RCD, my "fantasy team"

FF   D Menzel     Ballenden     Rowe
HF   Williams      Firns          Goldsworthy
C     Beecken      Poulter      Beattie
HB  Studham      Lehman     Toumpas
BB   Litster         Thompson   Cameron

2nd Ruck  Ballenden, Rowland, Sinor (with Rowe having brief stints)
Res :  Rowland, Sinor, "Anybody" , "ANYBODY"

Wimpy, I see Sam Rowland as not suitable in back pocket on elusive quick rovers - better for him out at HB or as a strong bodied midfielder. I see James Rowe as "unbeatable" close to goal rather than HF, with valuable stints on the ball to also shake the tag. I'm reluctant to play Firns CHF but until Weckert shows his strengths, I'll go for Firns's honest efforts. If Weckert plays then Firns must be on the bench. If we get RCW, Poulter, Rowe, Knight (with Sinor, Rowland), only North's midfield could match it. Interesting that both of us have no place for Sam Lonergan at this stage - hopefully Sam can show increased mobility in 2023 to make us pick him.

I am concerned whether a 19 year old body such as Brinker-Williams can stand up to the battering that he will get throughout the season from mature bodies of Boyd, Harvey, Brooksby. Noticed he took a total of 14 marks in 12 matches last season so supporters shouldn't expect huge things in his first season (his tapwork numbers appear good)

Well done "Hawke" you've got things started. Let's hear more.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:02 pm

Was the second Sinor a typo? Cant have the captain on the bench already. Very Happy
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:18 pm

Not recruiting Philipou drafted to st kilda
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:45 pm

goddy 11, it's not a typo.
The midfielders comprising the 2nd ruck interchange from the bench, of course - doesn't matter much which midfielder.
Thinking more about the team, we do lack height in the forward line so yes, we would need both Firns and Weckert (if good enough) in the 22. Even then Weckert is only 192cm and Firns 190cm, not big for key forwards and both our HF flankers are short. However, if, and it's a big "if", we were able to recruit both Collier-Dawkins 193cm and Poulter 191cm midfielders, they might offer a bit of marking power as they "rest" on the HF flank. That elusive 195cm key forward recruit would make such a huge difference, especially when Ballenden leaves the forward line to relieve in ruck intermittently through the game. But not to be.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Reddeer Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:40 pm

I think Sam Lonergan was our dud coach then left (thankfully) to Richmond. Jesse may need to add some pace but he is a strong as an ox and can hurt the opposition. No damage done in tonights 21 pick draft but a long way to go yet!
Reddeer

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:45 pm

A pretty good team but I will make some remarks....

Firns - I'd be very disappointed if he is our starting key forward this upcoming season. He was asked to fill this position out of necessity this season because we simply didn't have any mature height on our list and he was the next tallest (and at least had some strength). He did an admirable job but was vastly undersized and wouldn't even by 190cm. I'm sure the Coach knows he was played out of position but we were in unique circumstances last year. He takes a reasonable mark for his size but doesn't know how to lead, struggles to kick more than 40m and sprays the football when having a set shot. He'd only kick a goal every couple of games. Where Firns' great strength lies is his dedication, contest, toughness team-first work ethic, tackling and harassment. He is in our best 22 players but I think his role can only be as a 'lockdown player' whether that be as defender, midfielder or forward line player (the blanketing job he does on South's Joey Haynes each time is exceptional). But he is absolutely not the player we should be directing the ball towards as our key forward.

Poulter - I see him more as a rangy player far more suited to a wing where he will get less body contact as opposed to a player starting in the square as a centreman.

Lehman/Cameron - On the assumption that Cameron can actually string multiple games together I'd definitely be swapping their positions and putting Cameron CHB and Lehman in the back pocket. The best CHBs are ones that in addition to stopping their players give run, drive and creativity. Cameron has the potential to be this whereas Lehmann is a pure defensive stopper.

Beattie - I reckon this kid will go alright but until I've actually seen him play I can't find a position for him in the team. I'd be putting Poulter to take his spot on the wing, moving Sinor into the centre and bringing in Pearce to play on the bench interchanging with Goldy in the forward line.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:56 pm

D'Aloia would be a very handy addition to the midfield if he goes undrafted.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:58 pm

Aerie wrote:D'Aloia would be a very handy addition to the midfield if he goes undrafted.

Wow. Would have thought a sure pick. Rookie draft tommorrow.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:08 pm

goddy11 wrote:
Aerie wrote:D'Aloia would be a very handy addition to the midfield if he goes undrafted.

If not rookie drafted should be a 200 gamer for the Eagles.

Most probably better than Beattie, Mawson and Tilley who we have got in as onballers.

D'Aloia U18 state captain, voted state's best U18 player at the national carnival, and all Australian U18 team for 2022. Not putting down the other three I mentioned, they never made their state teams but are still very good pick ups. If D'Aloia is not rookie listed, we are building a very strong team with the "ins" we have managed to get this year.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:50 am

wimpy wrote:
goddy11 wrote:

If not rookie drafted should be a 200 gamer for the Eagles.

Most probably better than Beattie, Mawson and Tilley who we have got in as onballers.

D'Aloia U18 state captain, voted state's best U18 player at the national carnival, and all Australian U18 team for 2022. Not putting down the other three I mentioned, they never made their state teams but are still very good pick ups. If D'Aloia is not rookie listed, we are building a very strong team with the "ins" we have managed to get this year.

Would be amazing if he was ovelooked with a resume like that. I've had a look at recruiter forums and apparently the knock on him is his kicking and lack of acceleration. So many recruiters these days want 'athletes' rather than players who can actually find the ball. I suspect this was why he was overlooked in the main draft. I'd be astounded if he was overlooked in the rookie draft.

He'd be an excellent addition to our team next year given his steady progress from the U18s last year to the Reserves this season.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 22  Next