Gregod
Aerie
wimpy
Goddsy11
Mickyj
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Port v Eagles Alberton oval 7th may  - Page 2 Empty Re: Port v Eagles Alberton oval 7th may

Post by Mickyj Sun May 08, 2022 9:32 am

Aerie wrote:Good win. Important win.

In those conditions, the highly skilled players stand out and I was a little surprised to see Zac Buck stand out as much as he did with his control of the ball in the wet and his skills by foot. Really impressive. Rowland and Sinor were fantastic. The last half in particular, when the rain came down, was impressive.

Quoting you Aerie wimpy mentioned Buck as well
Commentators were surprised at how well he was playing then joked when he got taken high he’s only 3 foot tall .
He has developed very well I’d say Thompson and Co are helping him develop
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Port v Eagles Alberton oval 7th may  - Page 2 Empty Re: Port v Eagles Alberton oval 7th may

Post by Goddsy11 Sun May 08, 2022 9:33 am

Gregod wrote:Thanks for the run down on the Eagles/Port game guys. I will never go to Alberton oval due to the abuse you get from the feral. The Sanfl app broadcast doesn't work so it's good to hear how we faired

I have the same feeling about not going to Alberton. Haven't been for years. The SANow worked ok except for a 5-10min stretch after haft time. Maybe the cameraman got held up in the toilet cue. Shocked The Weed in commentary  was  cheering for PA a bit because of his son. BTW the young Weed has improved quite a bit. A very handy utility player.

I noticed the commentator mention it was Thommo's 200 game for us. Didn't realize this. What a champ and true clubman.

Last edited by goddy11 on Sun May 08, 2022 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun May 08, 2022 9:35 am

Gregod wrote:Thanks for the run down on the Eagles/Port game guys. I will never go to Alberton oval due to the abuse you get from the feral. The Sanfl app broadcast doesn't work so it's good to hear how we faired

To be honest if you can access SANFL now you can watch the any game that’s not on 7.
You do need to pay for it though
And yesterdays game we lost 6 minutes of the third we could hear the commentators couldn’t see anything .
And if you don’t like Wharfie fans the commentators would’ve made you laugh or turn your stomach very pro port
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun May 08, 2022 9:38 am

goddy11 wrote:

I have the same feeling about not going to Alberton. Haven't been for years. The SANow worked ok except for a 5-10min stretch after haft time. Maybe the cameraman got held up in the toilet cue. Shocked The Weed in commentary  was  cheering for PA a bit because of his son. BTW the young Weed has improved quite a bit. A very handy utility player.

My eldest now in his 30s when young we went to Alberton I behaved didn’t get in any arguments . As we left port fans followed us to the car yelling and screaming at us and hit the car .
Think it was the game we won from not scoring for a few quarters
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun May 08, 2022 9:40 am

Mickyj wrote:

To be honest if you can access SANFL now you can watch the any game that’s not on 7.
You do need to pay for it though
And yesterdays game we lost 6 minutes of the third we could hear the commentators couldn’t see anything .
And if you don’t like Wharfie fans the commentators would’ve made you laugh or turn your stomach very pro port

I saw a list up yesterday somewhere maybe Facebook by an Eagles fan . Who named every former eagles player playing for Ports reserves side . Besides the drafted guys quite a few ex Eagles seconds players . And of course Appleton who left the Eagles to better himself at North ended up at Port
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Sun May 08, 2022 10:19 am

Seems like whenever Appleton leaves a club, they win a premiership. Long may he stay at Port Reserves.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun May 08, 2022 10:31 am

whybother wrote:Seems like whenever Appleton leaves a club, they win a premiership. Long may he stay at Port Reserves.

Very True
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sun May 08, 2022 11:06 am

Must be Mothers day and getting to involved in celebrations. I put this into the wrong topic. I was wondering where it went.

How do you guys rate Conner McLeod. He is becoming a high possession gatherer every match. I think Haylock is playing out of his skin atm as well. Much improved on earlier this year.
Lukas Cooke starting to get among the goals. Our website still has him as 28yo.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sun May 08, 2022 11:35 am

goddy11 wrote:Must be Mothers day and getting to involved in celebrations. I put this into the wrong topic. I was wondering where it went.

How do you guys rate Conner McLeod. He is becoming a high possession gatherer every match. I think Haylock is playing out of his skin atm as well. Much improved on earlier this year.

Connor McLeod finds a fair bit of the ball but his stats are becoming padded by him basically taking all the kick offs after points. Don't feel he is a hard enough player and never seems to raise his intensity of his play.
Haylock will always play well at the reserves level. Seems to have lost the spark he had in his play about four years ago.
Lukas Cooke is starting to accumulate goals regularly, is a good mark and can kick long. He needs to build up his body to be able to hold position when marking, his leap is good. Would like to see him complete a full year's apprenticeship in the reserves, but if we lose Ballenden to the mid-season draft an elevation this season is possible.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun May 08, 2022 11:46 am

wimpy wrote:
goddy11 wrote:Must be Mothers day and getting to involved in celebrations. I put this into the wrong topic. I was wondering where it went.

Connor McLeod finds a fair bit of the ball but his stats are becoming padded by him basically taking all the kick offs after points. Don't feel he is a hard enough player and never seems to raise his intensity of his play.
Haylock will always play well at the reserves level. Seems to have lost the spark he had in his play about four years ago.
Lukas Cooke is starting to accumulate goals regularly, is a good mark and can kick long. He needs to build up his body to be able to hold position when marking, his leap is good. Would like to see him complete a full year's apprenticeship in the reserves, but if we lose Ballenden to the mid-season draft an elevation this season is possible.

I wrote what I thought in the first post by Goddy
Connor I’m not sure he is league standard
Haylock the same is a good seconds player
Cooke is improving each week
I don’t know his name number 57 in the seconds shows signs must be very young
Hill to me is improving shows so much to be a seconds player
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sun May 08, 2022 11:56 am

Mickyj wrote:
wimpy wrote:

57 is Mishai. At this stage I don't rate him. I think he is there as a development player. Hill only had 3 possessions yesterday.

Wimpy, I don't believe kick out are recorded as a stat. I could be wrong. Conner was recorded as 35 possessions in a loosing side yesterday.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun May 08, 2022 12:07 pm

goddy11 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:
wimpy wrote:

57 is Mishai. At this stage I don't rate him. I think he is there as a development player. Hill only had 3 possessions yesterday.

Wimpy, I don't believe kick out are recorded as a stat. I could be wrong. Conner was recorded as 35 possessions in a loosing side yesterday.

Yeah your probably correct about Hill and Mishai
For some reason our seconds can’t beat westies seconds
Watched it on the sanfl now pass . Don’t like the look of Richmond oval but being a neighbor I am aware of the upgrades. Oval surrounds look awful
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sun May 08, 2022 12:42 pm

goddy11 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:
wimpy wrote:

Mish has improved a lot in the first part of the season, still a bit raw but think he is a bit more settled now.

Kick ins count if they play on from the goal square, if they do it like the old days they don’t.

Thought Mitch Hardie had a really good game yesterday, spent some time in the middle and worked hard.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sun May 08, 2022 2:10 pm

Some really great comments on there that I have enjoyed reading. So I will give my own assessment of how I saw it and commentary about a few players

Firstly, a really tough and important win. If we’d lost the match we’d b 3-3 and struggling to keep in touch with the top 3 with a heap of pressure on. However a win means we are very much in contention with the top teams and full of confidence – particularly as so many of out top players are out injured at the moment.

Ballenden has been brilliant for us and exceeded how well I thought he’d play. It would be interesting to see had he been playing forward all this time rather than ruck (if Redden and Guilhaus were fit) whether he would have had this impact. However because we’ve needed him to play most of the matches in the ruck he’s been able to roam around the ground without the same pressure and no doubt his confidence would be sky high such that when he does play forward later in the year he will likely have more of an impact.

Menzel has stepped up big time this year increasing his output from last year. His accuracy has improved out of sight but I still don’t understand why he keeps switching his goalkicking style each match. Earlier in the season he was always kicking standard drop punt which seemed to work. This was the style he successful adopted late in the season last year. The last few matches he seems to have reverted back to kicking around the corner which at this stage has still worked but I have reservations with.

Williams – I thought in past seasons he was too goal hungry and wouldn’t lift the eyes to pass to other players in better positions. This season though he has more composure and is much better at identifying when he should have a ping and when he should pass. He still seems to struggle deciding how to kick for goal but I’m left in no doubt he is far more likely to kick a goal when lining up in the traditional way.

Sinor – that article seemed to refer to him as a ‘lessor light’ but I’ve always rated him highly. If he became our main midfielder he’d be getting 30 possessions each week like he did against Port

Overall things are looking very good for this season. We’ve got onto a bit of a roll form wise. Even that narrow loss to the Bays could be counted as a win as it kicked our butt into gear regarding the level we need to play. With the injuries we’ve had we’ve been able to blood some young kids to get games in them. I’ve been very impressed with Pierce and Buck.

Cooke in the reserves kicked another haul so great to see that. His lack of weight is good for the eagles because it probably means he will be with our club for next season whilst learning the craft and becoming a very good forward for us. Lukac’s lack of progress has been a bit disappointing (including his matches in the reserves) but prepared to give him time. Not sure whether he is best suited in the ruck or as a key forward?
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun May 08, 2022 2:22 pm

Columbo wrote:
goddy11 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:
wimpy wrote:

Mish has improved a lot in the first part of the season, still a bit raw but think he is a bit more settled now.

Kick ins count if they play on from the goal square, if they do it like the old days they don’t.

Thought Mitch Hardie had a really good game yesterday, spent some time in the middle and worked hard.

Personally I think it’s worth persisting with Mish he looks young to me

Hardie I think has improved greatly over last year’s Hardie
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Sun May 08, 2022 3:45 pm

Re the possibility of losing Ballendan in the mid-season draft:
so far, from the Eagles viewpoint, having to play Ballendan as a ruckman in Redden/Guilhaus's absence may have, to this point of time, denied showing Ballenden's AFL credentials. The AFL scouts are not looking at his rucking skills - he is physically not strong enough to hold his ground against AFL rucking "brutes". The AFL scout's real interest will be what he can show when he eventually plays as a key forward (apparently not enough last year for Brisbane who delisted him). Been very good for us, though.
Dan Menzel still continues to carry the forwards which is a worry.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sun May 08, 2022 5:44 pm

"Titan2" I think you were referring to me about Sinor being a lesser light. I didn't include him in that sentence. How could you ever think I would refer to Sinor as "a lesser light" when he was a state player last year and a former club best and fairest winner. I was just comparing his own performances. Has gone 83, 86, 113 and 123 champion data points in his last four games, to me, he seems to have increased to an excellent level.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sun May 08, 2022 6:09 pm

wimpy wrote:"Titan2" I think you were referring to me about Sinor being a lesser light. I didn't include him in that sentence. How could you ever think I would refer to Sinor as "a lesser light" when he was a state player last year and a former club best and fairest winner. I was just comparing his own performances. Has gone 83, 86, 113 and 123 champion data points in his last four games, to me, he seems to have increased to an excellent level.

Add to that, Sinor is the only multiple b&f winner the club has had over the last 10 seasons.  I dare say though, 'lesser lights' means players like him and Rowland are generally those that opposition supporters generally don't notice because of eg. Knight, Toumpas, Thompson, Menzels.  But mean as much to the team all the same.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sun May 08, 2022 6:42 pm

wimpy wrote:"Titan2" I think you were referring to me about Sinor being a lesser light. I didn't include him in that sentence. How could you ever think I would refer to Sinor as "a lesser light" when he was a state player last year and a former club best and fairest winner. I was just comparing his own performances. Has gone 83, 86, 113 and 123 champion data points in his last four games, to me, he seems to have increased to an excellent level.

No it was from a post by MickyJ on this thread who looks like he's pasted a game review written by the media where Sinor is referred to as 'unheralded'. So not exactly word for word. But the point being the author didn't expect Sinor would play such a good game whereas all I'm saying is that it was entirely expected by me given how consistently good he has been for us over a long time.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun May 08, 2022 7:15 pm

Titan2 wrote:

No it was from a post by MickyJ on this thread who looks like he's pasted a game review written by the media where Sinor is referred to as 'unheralded'. So not exactly word for word. But the point being the author didn't expect Sinor would play such a good game whereas all I'm saying is that it was entirely expected by me given how consistently good he has been for us over a long time.

Ahh yes I cut and pasted the SANFL Saturday snap shot this one didn’t say Zac Milbank so I can’t say it was him this week ,
I was actually thinking you watched the SANFL now I did they were more focused on Port
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Sun May 08, 2022 7:38 pm

Agree re comments on Sinor - he is one of the best the Eagles have had. As a club, perhaps a bit devoid of leadership in the post Powell/Cica/McKenzie years - especially with the cruel injuries to Rowntree - Sinor has been that leader that puts his hand up when the game is on the line and wills his team to win. Jack Hayes was the same.

Also agree re comments regarding the commentators. Doropolous clearly has a stake in sucking up to the AFL clubs so he can keep his twitter followers up to a level required to be a C-Grade Adelaide media celebrity and maybe get a “breaking news” AFL reporter gig one day, but even Weed was calling Port Adelaide “we” at stages! Still love the Weed though!
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun May 08, 2022 7:40 pm

Aerie wrote:Agree re comments on Sinor - he is one of the best the Eagles have had. As a club, perhaps a bit devoid of leadership in the post Powell/Cica/McKenzie years - especially with the cruel injuries to Rowntree - Sinor has been that leader that puts his hand up when the game is on the line and wills his team to win. Jack Hayes was the same.

Also agree re comments regarding the commentators. Doropolous clearly has a stake in sucking up to the AFL clubs so he can keep his twitter followers up to a level required to be a C-Grade Adelaide media celebrity and maybe get a “breaking news” AFL reporter gig one day, but even Weed was calling Port Adelaide “we” at stages! Still love the Weed though!

Well said Aerie
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon May 09, 2022 7:53 am

Titan2 wrote:

Good response "Titan2" Joey has always been one of my favourite players plus a true gentleman.
Can remember in Godden's days I was calling for his elevation to the league team two years before he was finally given a league game.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon May 09, 2022 9:48 am

I rate Joey highly. If he did not injurer his knee a few years back I suspect he might have made an AFL list. One of the first players picked.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Mon May 09, 2022 12:05 pm

Jack Firns still one of my favourite current Eagles.
As honest as the day is long and he's extracting every ounce of ability out of himself.
Competed well in ruck at times on Saturday and even won a few taps.
He keeps adding value and flexibility to our side.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next