Mark McKenzie retires

2 posters

Go down

Mark McKenzie retires Empty Mark McKenzie retires

Post by Mickyj Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:43 pm

The WWTFC can announce that Mark McKenzie has made the decision to retire.

In a magnificent career spanning 10 years from 2002 to 2012 (he spent the 2003 season on Carlton’s Rookie list) Mark set a new standard of playing excellence at the Eagles Football Club.

His ability to read the play was second to none in the competition, his composure with ball in hand and distribution from half back was at times sublime not to mention his courage, constantly playing on bigger opponents or positioning himself in front of an oncoming key forward.

After being selected by the Port Adelaide Football Club at pick 43 in the 2001 Rookie Draft and then taken by the Eagles in the following mini draft, Mark played 214 League games for the Eagles, kicking 67 goals. His debut for the League team was in Rd 2, 2002 against West Adelaide after playing the previous week in the Reserves team (his only Reserves game for the Club).

He is a 5 time Club Champion (2005, 2006, joint 2008, 2009, 2011) and 2 time Premiership player (2006, 2011 captain).

On his decision to retire Mark McKenzie said "I’m privileged to have played at such a great Club like the Eagles Football Club. The success we’ve achieved over the last 10 years has made the time at the Club so memorable and enjoyable. I’ve made such great life long friendships and I’m very thankful for all the people responsible for the culture at the Eagles".

"I guess there was always going to be that time where we all have to move on as players. Unfortunately due to an increase in work responsibilities my time is now and as much as you wish you could play forever, I now look forward to the next phase of my life here in Melbourne. I will always call the Eagles home and look forward to supporting the boys in returning deep into finals action in 2013 and beyond"

"So many fantastic people over the years have helped me along the way and I would like to specifically mention all the past and current players who I have played with that make the Club what it is today. Luckily the club attracts so many good people that it’s hard to leave such a great environment. That’s why the Club will continue to be successful on and off the field for years to come. Thankyou to my family for all their support over the years and to all the past and current coaches, administration staff, members and supporters I thank you for the support you’ve given me and wish you well in the future".

He added "I wish Godsy and all players, coaches and staff all the best for the upcoming season and there’s no doubt it wont be too long until the club again experiences the ultimate success as it did in 2011".

Coach Michael Godden said "Mark has been an outstanding player for our Club. With 2 Premiership medals and 5 Club Champions he will most certainly go down as one of the greats from an on field perspective but his greatest legacy will be having helped create a fantastic culture that I am sure our younger players will take on the responsibility of continuing".

"I personally wish Mark all the very best for the future and thank him for his contribution during my time on and off the field. We will share the memory of standing on the dais raising the 2011 Premiership Cup together forever".

President Kurt Slaven said "Mark McKenzie retires as the most decorated player in the modern history of the Eagles Football Club".

"He typifies all that our Club wants from its players. He has been a dedicated and loyal servant of the Eagles and for that matter, of the SANFL competition, and will be sorely missed".

Please join us in thanking Mark for his wonderful contribution to
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Mark McKenzie retires Empty Re: Mark McKenzie retires

Post by BirdOfPrey Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:46 pm

Congrats to Mark, a great player for the Eagles, will be sorely missed.

Have lost a chunk of experience this off season.
BirdOfPrey
BirdOfPrey

Back to top Go down