cica retires

3 posters

Go down

cica retires Empty cica retires

Post by Mickyj Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:00 pm

Dear Michael,

The WWTFC can announce that Justin Cicolella will retire at season’s end.

In a stellar career spanning 15 years from 1998 to 2012, Justin’s ability to dominate games and single handedly change the momentum of matches with his toughness, skill and poise under pressure will no doubt see him remembered as an elite player of the modern era.

His list of achievements is testament to his stature in the game. They include;

5 top 3 finishes in the Magarey Medal (1999,2002,2003,2004 and 2006)

3 Club Champion awards (2002,2003,2010)

2 Premierships (2006, 2011)

WWTFC Games record holder

On his decision to retire Cicolella said "I feel honoured to have played at the Eagles for as long as I have. It has been my second home for 15 years and I feel fortunate to have achieved some of the things we have as a team and as a Club".

"I’ve met some amazing people along the way and made some lifelong friends. The environment and culture that’s been created at the Eagles makes it a very special place to play footy. I couldn’t have asked more from the Club during my time here and I’ve been given an enormous amount of support, not only from the Club but also its Members and Supporters and I thank them very much for this".

"I would also like to thank my family for all their support and the sacrifices they have made for me over my career".

He added "I would love to play forever but unfortunately there comes a time when you know your body has had enough and for me that time has come. I know the Club has struggled a bit this year in terms of our win-loss record but with five games to go in the minor round, we remain really positive about what we can achieve this year".

Coach Michael Godden said "It’s been a real privilege to coach not only one of the greats of this Club, but of the entire SANFL competition".

"Justin’s actions are what have made him such an important part of our Club’s culture, he leads by example and has a clear understanding of when his club needs him and invariably he stands up in those moments. As his Coach I will certainly miss this".

"In my short time at the club the entire Cicolella family have been fantastic. We also wish them all the best for the future, but for the remainder of the 2012 season we will endeavour to write just one more chapter for Justin in what has been a fantastic career"

President Kurt Slaven said "Justin has not only been a champion of this Football Club, he has been a champion of the SANFL competition. He embodies all that our Club wants from its players in his dedication, commitment, tenacity and willingness to work hard for himself and his teammates".

"There is no doubt that we will miss his ability to change the games that we play in but we hope to find a suitable role for Justin to fill in a coaching or mentoring capacity at the Club for season 2013 and beyond".

Cicolella will play in game 261 against North Adelaide this Sunday at Unleash Solar Oval.

WWTFC

Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

cica retires Empty Re: cica retires

Post by zest Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:19 am

lets hope we can have one last push for the five to give cica a great farewell year
zest
zest
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eaglehaslanded Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:20 pm

I guess this isn't all that unexpected. He will certainly be missed. A champion player of the mighty blue, green, gold and the SANFL. I'm happy he's going out on his own terms. It would have been a shame for him to try and hang on too long.
eaglehaslanded
eaglehaslanded

Back to top Go down

Post by eaglehaslanded Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:22 pm

An unfortunate run with injury prevented him from playing more than 5 games at AFL Level. He is a legend of the Woodville West Torrens footy club and one of our greatest players ever.
eaglehaslanded
eaglehaslanded

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down