Jacquier set to make his mark

2 posters

Go down

Jacquier set to make his mark Empty Jacquier set to make his mark

Post by Mickyj Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:13 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/jacquier-set-to-make-his-mark/story-fn525un5-1225904395536
LOCKLEYS teenager Matthew Jacquier may soon settle a family debate as to whether he's a better footballer than his father Steve.

An athletic centre half-forward for Immanuel College and Woodville-West Torrens' under-18s, Jacquier, 17, is in the sights of fledgling AFL club Greater Western Sydney and could be drafted in November.

As part of the draft concessions it has been awarded ahead of its entry into the AFL in 2012, GWS is allowed to sign 12 players born between January and April, 1993.

Steve Jacquier, who played 11 seasons in defence for Woodville and is a long-time coach of his son, said Matthew had been compared to him for a decade.

"Every time we talk, it still comes up," he said.

"We joke about it ... but from a very young age everyone said he would be better than his dad.

"Honestly, I sit back in awe of him sometimes."

Matthew, a former All-Australian under-15 player, said his father was his biggest influence.

"He played so much football so he's taken all the knowledge he's got and given it all to me," he said.

Matthew said his draft camp invite was a shock.

"At first I got goosebumps just thinking about it.

"Then I started thinking about how hard it's going to be and all the hard work I have to put in."

Earlier this month, GWS invited Jacquier to attend the national draft camp, from September 28 to October 1, at the Australian Institute of Sport, in Canberra.sG, where he will trial for clubs' coaches and recruiters.

He will be joined at the camp by his 17-year-old Eagles teammates Josh Growden and Jarrod Harding, who are also on the radar of GWS.

Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Jacquier set to make his mark Empty Re: Jacquier set to make his mark

Post by MightyEagles Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:16 pm

Hasn't played many games this year, but has played well when he has and has been in the best players. I hope that it makes sense.
MightyEagles
MightyEagles

Back to top Go down