Headfan
Aerie
Goddsy11
wimpy
Mickyj
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Port v Eagles Alberton Oval June 4 - Page 2 Empty Re: Port v Eagles Alberton Oval June 4

Post by Mickyj Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:45 pm

Zac Milbank 
Reigning Ken Farmer Medallist Daniel Menzel was the hero as Woodville-West Torrens held off a fast-finishing Port Adelaide by just three points at Alberton Oval.
The mercurial Menzel, who had played the past three matches in the Reserves, proved his undeniable class with a booming 50m set shot to regain the lead in the 25th minute of the fourth term.
Recalled by Eagles coach Jade Sheedy to the line-up after booting five goals in the seconds, the former Geelong cat was extremely cool as he soaked up the pressure following his mark on the lead from a pin-point Will Pearce pass.
The 31-year-old had seemingly shut the door on the Magpies when he booted the second of his three majors 13 minutes into the last quarter as the visitors built a commanding 21-point lead in the context of the game.
But Tyson Goldsack’s men refused to roll over as clever goalsneaks Cody Szust and Jed Hagan booted the next four goals in succession to claim an unlikely lead entering time-on.
It was to be Menzel’s moment though as the Eagles earned their third victory in a row despite losing the inside 50m count by a staggering 31 to 63 and clearances by 29 to 37.
Hard-running Eagle Luke Beecken racked up a team-high 30 disposals while Riley Knight continued his return to top form with 27 disposals and eight tackles.
Former Magpie Jimmy Toumpas enjoyed his return to Alberton for the Eagles with 23 touches while Wodonga recruit Max Beattie again caught the eye with 20 disposals and a clever goal tucked up in the forward pocket in the second stanza.
Port officials would be delighted with the first outing of former Geelong forward Quinton Narkle, who was incredibly constructive with his 29 disposals and six clearances on debut in the Hostplus SANFL League.
Trent Dumont’s consistency is extremely evident in racking up a team-high 32 disposals and five clearances while Jed Hagan had 23 disposals along with his two final term majors.
Power captain Tom Jonas was solid in defence throughout his rare SANFL outing, tallying 17 disposals and five marks while Szust finished with three goals from 11 disposals.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Port v Eagles Alberton Oval June 4 - Page 2 Empty Re: Port v Eagles Alberton Oval June 4

Post by Mickyj Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:49 pm

Gregod wrote:Why go to Alberton and be abused before you even get inside the gates.the security guards are too scared to speak up. When one idiot start the other deros  join in

I lived in the heartland of port Adelaide when married . You think Alberton oval is bad don’t go over the Birkenhead bridge 
My eldest an adult now was with me at an eagles game there decades ago he was young we never said a word the game we kicked a goal for the win . Port deros started attacking our car as we drove off someone had pissed them off
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:53 pm

goddy11 wrote:
Gregod wrote:Why go to Alberton and be abused before you even get inside the gates.the security guards are too scared to speak up. When one idiot start the other deros  join in

I havent been there for years. Along with Glenelg oval its not a place I like to go for the reasons above.
Pity the camerawork on the digital was crap. They need to zoom in . I couldn't pick some of the action.

Lukac stats show he had 4 disposals. He seemed to be in the play a bit. Williams was quiet.

Yeah I didn’t like the camera work 
That mob will steal anything those who know my actual surname they stole that Smile 
And that confuses their fans thst I’ll never support them 

Alan from the cheer squad is on my Facebook page I asked him he said everyone was on one side .
I’m glad I didn’t go haven’t been to that place in years
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:08 pm

Mickyj wrote:
goddy11 wrote:

I havent been there for years. Along with Glenelg oval its not a place I like to go for the reasons above.
Pity the camerawork on the digital was crap. They need to zoom in . I couldn't pick some of the action.

Lukac stats show he had 4 disposals. He seemed to be in the play a bit. Williams was quiet.

Yeah I didn’t like the camera work 
That mob will steal anything those who know my actual surname they stole that Smile 
And that confuses their fans thst I’ll never support them 

Alan from the cheer squad is on my Facebook page I asked him he said everyone was on one side .
I’m glad I didn’t go haven’t been to that place in years

The position for the camera there isn't ideal, it's on a scaffold between the two grandstands so it's nowhere near the middle of the ground like it is everywhere else besides Noarlunga. Would have wanted danger money up there today with the wind the way it was.
They also don't have the same kind of equipment that is used for the games on Channel 7, they still use high quality gear but just not the same as you would get on TV and expect the streaming would reduce the quality somewhat also.

The renovations down there are going to be first class once they are completed. The upgrade in the Williams stand is excellent and the new lighting will be second only to Adelaide Oval I expect.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:42 pm

I was there and I hate them with a long-standing passion. I never miss a game at Alberton as I never want to NOT be there when we beat them.   Since Port joined the AFL, I’ve found the Port mob to be less abusive.  Most of the ferals seem to go to Adelaide Oval.
Mickyj, we usually sit/stand with all the other Eagle supporters between the old scoreboard and the Port changerooms.  Not much choice today, had to sit between the goals and the ‘newer’ grandstand.
Agree with you Goddy, our defenders were great.   They were all dwarfed by the Port talls.   I thought Rory Lehmann was close to our best (with Luke Beecken).
Also agree with those of you who praised Dan Menzel. Definitely back close to his Farmer Medal best. Full of self-confidence.   Lukac was in everything in the first half. He is growing.   Liked Josh Mawson’s ability to pack leap.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:43 pm

I was there and I hate them with a long-standing passion. I never miss a game at Alberton as I never want to NOT be there when we beat them.   Since Port joined the AFL, I’ve found the Port mob to be less abusive.  Most of the ferals seem to go to Adelaide Oval.
Mickyj, we usually sit/stand with all the other Eagle supporters between the old scoreboard and the Port changerooms.  Not much choice today, had to sit between the goals and the ‘newer’ grandstand.
Agree with you Goddy, our defenders were great.   They were all dwarfed by the Port talls.   I thought Rory Lehmann was close to our best (with Luke Beecken).
Also agree with those of you who praised Dan Menzel. Definitely back close to his Farmer Medal best. Full of self-confidence.   Lukac was in everything in the first half. He is growing.   Liked Josh Mawson’s ability to pack leap.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:45 pm

The Good
- 3 wins in a row, back to 4-4
- Luke Beecken, playing some good footy at the moment
- Dan Menzel - Clutch goal at the end in a swirling breeze
- The back 6 - had a busy day but were pretty solid for most of it considering the ball went inside 63 times.

The Not So Good
- Joey Sinor injury, hopefully not serious
can't think of anything else Smile
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:08 am

I watched the highlights on SANFL. Menzel kicked from about 3 metres before the 50 m arc, and the ball went through about halfway up. So I reckon about a 60m kick for the winning goal.
But I think that Williams needs a run or two in the seconds, His last few games were like us playing a man short all day.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:49 pm

Columbo wrote:The Good
- The back 6 - had a busy day but were pretty solid for most of it considering the ball went inside 63 times.

The Not So Good

Spot on here. I only watched the stream. Didn’t realise Sinor got injured. An ankle ‘tbc’ according to our injury update. Hopefully he’s not out for long - has been in great form as skipper and with Hardie off to the AFL, will really test our midfield depth with the Crows Reserves coming up.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:01 pm

Aerie wrote:
Columbo wrote:The Good

The Not So Good

Spot on here. I only watched the stream. Didn’t realise Sinor got injured. An ankle ‘tbc’ according to our injury update. Hopefully he’s not out for long - has been in great form as skipper and with Hardie off to the AFL, will really test our midfield depth with the Crows Reserves coming up.

Some more Good/Not so Good.

GOOD
- Sheedy's decision to play Cameron as forward and resist the temptation to play him back. We look much better with him up there and he combined well with Menzel
- More Sheedy creativity in playing Comma down back. Thought he played his best game for the eags in 12 months
- Lukac's attack on the ball in the first quarter particularly. His front on legal hit on that smaller player then later his collision with Jonas....first rate. He's realising he has a big body and can use it to his advantage. Thought he got way more possessions then the SANFL website indicates.
- Mawson - he didn't get a lot of the ball but every so often when he gets it there is something about him that makes me think he could be a talent but similar to Hardie, he will be in and out of the side over the next two years. I hope he persists because he could eventually be a very good player.

BAD
- Continued bad form of Williams. I think 90% of the team has improved in form over last year. But he seems to have regressed. I think the decision to play him forward needs to end. He is not a natural forward (doesn't have the 'smarts' or any tricks) and I think playing him there is actually damaging his progress. I think he could be ok as a back pocket or HBF but that's something for Sheedy to ponder over Summer. For now, he really needs a spell of 2-3 weeks in the reserves to find some form.
- our ruckman running out of steam / lack of communication in the last quarter - I wasn't expecting our ruckman to beat the Power's giants but they were quite effective for 3 quarters. Then this unravelled in the last quarter allowing Hayes to run riot who was putting the ball down Narkle's throat. It almost cost us the game. With Lukac struggling I think we almost left it too late to switch Ballenden in there.
-
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:25 pm

Agree re Comma.
Think he plays his best footy in big games, seems to just get up for the big contests, doesn’t get big numbers but does what he does well and loves being annoying.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:32 pm

Noticed Sladojevic kicked 4 in a poor reserves day and after a big score last week. I haven't rated what I've seen earlier but maybe he is turning the corner. I saw his 4th goal. A well taken mark Keep the good work up.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:22 pm

I don't know if Menzel deserved a 2nd best pick. I think Jimmy T or Beecken.

SANFL Now Player of the Year Award

Port v Eagles – Chris Kerry
3 – Riley Knight (Eagles)
2 – Daniel Menzel (Eagles)
1 – Sam Hayes (Port)

Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:29 pm

Absolutely ridiculous that Menzel is listed amongst the 3 best players on ground.

Either Beecken from the Eagles or Narkle from Port are two obvious players that were overlooked.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:33 pm

The coaches shearman votes were much more believable. And who is Chris Kenny anyway
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:11 pm

whybother wrote:The coaches shearman votes were much more believable.  And who is Chris Kenny anyway

One of the newer SANFL Now commentators I believe.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:15 pm

Columbo wrote:
whybother wrote:The coaches shearman votes were much more believable.  And who is Chris Kenny anyway

One of the newer SANFL Now commentators I believe.
Yep he is Columbo and his mic was set to low at Alberton
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:28 pm

That was a magnificent goal though especially under the conditions. Watching it on SANow I didn't think he would get the distance let alone goal. It did however answer someone query last week about how Dan has been kicking lately. In regard to his around the corner kicks.

https://youtu.be/8ZW2QTrhYH8

Menzel still received a vote here. Still the goal deserved a spot. I agree with most of our votes.

R. O Shearman Coaches Votes

Port v Eagles
9 – Luke Beecken (Eagles)
9 – Quinton Narkle (Port)
5 – Trent Dumont (Port)
3 – Riley Knight (Eagles)
2 – Daniel Menzel (Eagles)
1 – Jed Hagan (Port)
1 – Max Litster (Eagles)
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2