Eagles v North trial Thursday 4 th March

5 posters

Go down

Eagles v North trial Thursday 4 th March  Empty Eagles v North trial Thursday 4 th March

Post by Mickyj Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:02 pm

Reserves 5.30
League 7.20

Thebarton oval
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Eagles v North trial Thursday 4 th March  Empty Re: Eagles v North trial Thursday 4 th March

Post by Mickyj Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:26 am

Sorry can’t copy the team lists
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Eagles v North trial Thursday 4 th March  Empty Re: Eagles v North trial Thursday 4 th March

Post by Goddsy11 Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:32 am

Strong list on website. Surprised to see the Menzel boys and Redden name at this stage. Connor McLeod out there as well.

The young Alice springs lad in the B's will be good to see
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:43 am

Only ten of the premiership team named to play tonight.

Redden and West will be very much under done. Not surprised the Menzel brothers are in the team. Troy has done all the main training and Dan after a careful start where he was mainly on the bike, has now completed the last 5-6 weeks with the main group. Both look extremely fit, skillful and raring to go. Dan's foot injury was mismanaged at CDs but the Eagles medicos have now sorted it out.

Six from last seasons U18s are playing in the reserves.

The following are not named in either team: L. Thompson, M. Goldsworthy, J. Hayes, P Giuffreda, C. Hall, D McFarlane, C. Sharman, R Lehmann, R. Mutch, E Haylock, J. Lee and Aaron Asfaha.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:32 pm

Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:08 pm

goddy11 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:Sorry can’t copy the team lists

All you have to do micky is give a link

https://wwtfc.com.au/news/trial-v-north-adelaide-team-selection/?fbclid=IwAR0OVblec9SYY3FaHYxFj9uok7lUxVwPrgtVm_c9iLPPVBpz8xnS9SpZOWU

Sorry I tried that early this morning couldn’t do it
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:15 am

I know we won the seconds how did we go in the league match ?

Ok just saw this score on Facebook

Trial Game - Thebarton Oval
Eagles 7.8 (50)
North 6.4 (40)
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:31 am

I'm holding back to hear feedback from Wimpy, Hawke and anyone else there. We held NA scoreless till 1/2 time from reports.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by eaglesman Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:41 pm

The Eagles got off to a great start, and didn't give North a look-in  in the first half.  There were some good attacking passages of play through the mid-field, though I felt that the play in the Eagles forward lines was indirect and quite scrappy.  North made no impression in the second quarter, even kicking with a strong breeze, and at half time the score was 36 points to zero.  It looked like a big win to the Eagles coming up at that stage.
North worked hard and hit back strongly in the third quarter, while the Eagles' intensity seemed to fall right away.  The lead was less than two goals at three quarter time.  North were threatening to win the game in the last quarter, but Jake Von Bertouch bobbed up at full forward, taking a couple of strong marks and kicking an important goal that I felt helped the Eagles to steady and hold on for a win.
I know it was only a trial game, the result doesn't count, a lot of the top players were missing and the coaches were experimenting, etc.  But it still would have been disappointing to have lost that game after being in such a commanding position at half-time.
eaglesman
eaglesman

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:57 am

It wasn't a great trial game. NA looked disinterested in the first half and the Eagles looked to take the foot off the metal in the second half. Missing likely contenders for a first round spot were: Thompson, Goldsworthy, J. Hayes,Giuffreda, Hall, Redden, McFarlane, Sharman, Lehman and R. Mutch. Dan Menzel came off after the first quarter and had his foot in ice, this might have been a planned move to ease him in. Icing would have been a normal part of treatment/recovery. He appeared to be walking OK. In the first quarter there was a bit of the Hayes to Hayes linking with the Menzel brothers, it looked good. Dan kicked two points and Troy kicked 1 goal 4 pts. Jesse Lonergan only played the second half. Mitchell Mead was terrific in the first half especially the first quarter. He was hard and won contested ball and he hit targets. Kobe Mutch found the ball but kicking was poor, he looks like a wingman to me, and he started on the wing, Kai Pudney started on the other wing. Jordan West and Sam Michael played in ruck and neither side's ruck were influential. Pierce Seymour played well at CHB but he did stuff up a few short kick outs from fullback. Ryan Bruce played full back. I thought Jack Firns was great he seems to be improving every season, is a must in the team.  There were seven single goal kickers. Nerves rustiness, 20 minute straight quarters and poor lighting all contributed to a lack lustre game.

Was more excited by the reserves, loved their game style and the play on aspect.
Eagles 16.8 to NA 6.5. Goal Kickers Stengle 4, Morgan 2, Pearce 2, Wheare 2, Kasianowicz 2, Williams 1, Gray 1 and Hoile.

Tyson Stengle played in the reserves and kicked 4 great goals. Zane Williams and Stephen Mills played, I thought they might have played in the main game but Mills has just come back from and injured ankle and may not have done enough training. Williams after a slow start did some very clever things. Sharrad played well as did Nick Moore, he seemed to have cut out a lot of his stupid and ineffectual play. Dale Pearce took a couple of big marks and is a beautiful long kick. Jack Wheare a left footer looked promising took a couple of nice grabs and kicked two goals. Jordan Kasianowicz a left footed small with a huge kick got two goals. Others to impress were Harrison Dawkins, Luke Beecken, Lachy Hoile and Max Litster. As the game went on Mishai Wollogorong did some very nice things across half back. It was an encouraging trial for the reserves.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:57 pm

wimpy wrote:It wasn't a great trial game. NA looked disinterested in the first half and the Eagles looked to take the foot off the metal in the second half. Missing likely contenders for a first round spot were: Thompson, Goldsworthy, J. Hayes,Giuffreda, Hall, Redden, McFarlane, Sharman, Lehman and R. Mutch. Dan Menzel came off after the first quarter and had his foot in ice, this might have been a planned move to ease him in. Icing would have been a normal part of treatment/recovery. He appeared to be walking OK. In the first quarter there was a bit of the Hayes to Hayes linking with the Menzel brothers, it looked good. Dan kicked two points and Troy kicked 1 goal 4 pts. Jesse Lonergan only played the second half. Mitchell Mead was terrific in the first half especially the first quarter. He was hard and won contested ball and he hit targets. Kobe Mutch found the ball but kicking was poor, he looks like a wingman to me, and he started on the wing, Kai Pudney started on the other wing. Jordan West and Sam Michael played in ruck and neither side's ruck were influential. Pierce Seymour played well at CHB but he did stuff up a few short kick outs from fullback. Ryan Bruce played full back. I thought Jack Firns was great he seems to be improving every season, is a must in the team.  There were seven single goal kickers. Nerves rustiness, 20 minute straight quarters and poor lighting all contributed to a lack lustre game.

Was more excited by the reserves, loved their game style and the play on aspect.
Eagles 16.8 to NA 6.5. Goal Kickers Stengle 4, Morgan 2, Pearce 2, Wheare 2, Kasianowicz 2, Williams 1, Gray 1 and Hoile.

Tyson Stengle played in the reserves and kicked 4 great goals. Zane Williams and Stephen Mills played, I thought they might have played in the main game but Mills has just come back from and injured ankle and may not have done enough training. Williams after a slow start did some very clever things. Sharrad played well as did Nick Moore, he seemed to have cut out a lot of his stupid and ineffectual play. Dale Pearce took a couple of big marks and is a beautiful long kick. Jack Wheare a left footer looked promising took a couple of nice grabs and kicked two goals. Jordan Kasianowicz a left footed small with a huge kick got two goals. Others to impress were Harrison Dawkins, Luke Beecken, Lachy Hoile and Max Litster. As the game went on Mishai Wollogorong did some very nice things across half back. It was an encouraging trial for the reserves.

Silly question for Wimpy or anyone who knows can Stengle play in the sanfl season be a good swap for Rowe
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:01 pm

From chatter on the Crows sight, he may get cut. They are negotiating a payout I think.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:12 pm

goddy11 wrote:From chatter on the Crows sight, he may get cut. They are negotiating a payout I think.

I agree "goddy11", I reckon they will try and pay him out. If he is cut I would think he would be able to play for the Eagles.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:40 pm

wimpy wrote:
goddy11 wrote:From chatter on the Crows sight, he may get cut. They are negotiating a payout I think.

I agree "goddy11", I reckon they will try and pay him out. If he is cut I would think he would be able to play for the Eagles.

Thanks Wimpy and Goddy
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:43 pm

Von Bertouch and Jack Firns were our best. Kobe Mutch showed enough, Clay Cameron didn't. Our onballers were smashed in 2nd half. The Menzels' leading and quick movements up forward early were refreshing and they should have had 3 goals in the 1st Q
From the early trial, midfielders Hoile, Dawkins and HF Jack Wheare are worth promoting to the senior trial next week. Would be interesting to test Hoile and Jack Wheare on the HB flanks. Hoile would provide "run" and Jack Wheare's accurate, penetrating kick coming off the HB flank would provide a weapon (Jacob Wehr stuff)
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:32 pm

No mention how Knight went. Expecting him to shine.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:42 pm

As mentioned, our onballers were well beaten. Riley Knight was receiving close attention around the packs, something that he would not be used to being the "hunted" in SANFL rather than, as an AFL fringe player where he was the "hunter". Hopefully, he'll improve. Also, James Tsitas had a very quiet game by his standards. Hopefully, Redden will be back to help these guys. Lonergan spent the first half on the bench and then had only a few effective touches. If the midfield is no better next week, then Sheedy might be tempted to play Dane McFarlane in the midfield where he has been a "ball magnet" and relentless runner in NTFL
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:22 pm

Match report

Thursday night at Thebby saw us play our first trial with 12 new faces. Going into the game, the plan was to gel the new players to quickly learn the Eagles way. The first half had seen some great ball movement, playing the game in our half, defensively allowing us to set up behind the ball. The second half seen North get their hands at the stoppage, with our intensity dropping and some basic skill errors.

As a Football Club, we are happy with where the group is at but still know there is a lot to work to be done. We will continue to improve and gel the group together. This week provides us another opportunity to do this against a good opponent in Glenelg.

We hope to see all the Eagle Supporters at Thebarton Oval, Reserves kick off 5:30PM and League 7:30PM.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down