Robert Muir article

3 posters

Go down

Robert Muir article Empty Robert Muir article

Post by spell_check Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:56 pm

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-23/persecution-of-robert-muir-story-football-doesnt-want-to-hear/12553554

In this article, something caught my eye.  I think this should be brought to the attention of our CEO:

In 1990, Woodville and West Torrens merged. A few years ago, Muir heard the club was holding an event for past players and turned up unannounced. He was only half-surprised by the greeting:

"The doorman said, 'No, you're not welcome here.' I didn't argue."

I don't know who this person is, whoever it is, they'll probably deny it happened. I think it's quite disgusting, and only an unreserved apology will do.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Robert Muir article Empty Re: Robert Muir article

Post by Goddsy11 Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:06 pm

spell_check wrote:https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-23/persecution-of-robert-muir-story-football-doesnt-want-to-hear/12553554

In this article, something caught my eye.  I think this should be brought to the attention of our CEO:

In 1990, Woodville and West Torrens merged. A few years ago, Muir heard the club was holding an event for past players and turned up unannounced. He was only half-surprised by the greeting:

"The doorman said, 'No, you're not welcome here.' I didn't argue."

I don't know who this person is, whoever it is, they'll probably deny it happened.  I think it's quite disgusting, and only an unreserved apology will do.

Disgusting if true.

I wrote this on bigfooty on how I remember Robbie. WAs a very good but troubled player

I as a WT supporter was there the day he jumped the fence and chased a supporter. I must admit our supporters behind the goals were a bit simple. It looked funny at the time. You could see something was going to happen. He was very irritable. Blighty should have seen something and moved him but Blighty is Blighty. A mate of mine worked with Robbie at ETSA. Said he was a shy and lovely guy but when they had a works footy match he had white line fever and just wanted to wipe out anyone in his way.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:51 pm

Flexi got up close and personal with Robbie on that fateful day too.....
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:58 pm

The Barton wrote:Flexi got up close and personal with Robbie on that fateful day too.....

Who is Flexi?
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:52 pm

The Woodville West Torrens Football Club has read and acknowledges Robert Muir’s story via the ABC. The Club is deeply distressed to learn of the disgraceful racism and harassment he experienced whilst playing with and against the former Woodville Football Club and the West Torrens Football Club.

The WWTFC unreservedly apologises to Robert and his family for the trauma they have all experienced as a result of the actions of all parties involved at the time.

Racism has no place in society and the WWTFC continues to work hard in educating our community the importance of this. The WWTFC have invested heavily in ensuring and educating that racism has no place in football, this is evident in the club’s engagement and leadership over the past 5 years with the APY Lands and the Don McSweeney Aboriginal Lands Cup.

The Club finds it extremely upsetting that this situation occurred during Robert’s tenure at both the Woodville and West Torrens Football Clubs. The Woodville West Torrens Football Club intends to reach out to Robert to apologise and assure him that he is most welcome at our Club at any time. Robert Muir needs to know that he is and will always be a valued person as part of the Woodville West Torrens Football Club and SANFL community.

Luke Powell, CEO & Christine Williams, President
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:10 pm

And well done to the club on responding to the article. (Not just Luke, but Christine - I simply said CEO, because the letter from St Kilda came from their CEO)

Regarding what I highlighted, looking at the wording, I'm confident the club knew nothing about that, and that only Muir and whoever the doorman is/was had any knowledge. And also, I'm confident that the said person would have been dealt with accordingly.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down