Scott lewis article

Go down

Scott lewis article Empty Scott lewis article

Post by Mickyj Sat May 29, 2010 12:55 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/new-eagle-learns-to-fly/story-fn525un5-1225872529709

SCOTT Lewis has found his wings with his third SANFL club, the Eagles.

Lewis, 23, credits his transformation into a League-level onballer to coach Michael Godden.

Lewis came through junior ranks at West Adelaide before moving to Glenelg in 2007 and was coached by Godden at both clubs.

After taking a year off in 2009 to play footy with his brother at Clare, he was determined to give the SANFL another go.

``I always wanted to come back, I didn't think I'd achieved as much as I'd wanted to with the Bays,'' Lewis said.

``I was talking with Godsey every now and then and he got the job with the Eagles. He rang me up and asked me if I wanted to come out and I said yeah, I definitely wanted to."

Having played in a Reserves premiership with Glenelg as well as winning the Reserves Magarey Medal in '08, Lewis believed he could take the next step.

``In two years I only got four (league) games (at Glenelg).

``I was a little bit unhappy but then again I'm going all right now.

``I've got Godsey to thank for where I am now. He has not only looked out for me but he's certainly told me what I needed to do and it's paid off.

``I went from Westies to the Bays and I thought that was a good step, but going from the Bays to the Eagles has been 10-times better.''

Lewis is one of the SANFL's most distinctive-looking players with his dreadlocks, making him a target for spectators but not opposition players. Not often, anyway.

``When I was playing for the Bays, only once, I got into a pack and ... someone grabbed my hair and started trying to tear it out. Other than that, it's not too bad.

``You get abuse from the spectators. I don't get too much sh** from opposition players, but spectators love giving me crap.''

The 32-game onballer said he was disappointed to lose to his former club in Round 9 but believed the Eagles were on track.

``We were very disappointed with how we played against the Bays and Centrals.

``We feel we had a few good patches in there and once it all gels together we should be a very strong side.

``Norwood also have become a strong side so it'll be an interesting game on the weekend.''
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down