Lewis repaying the faith

2 posters

Go down

Lewis repaying the faith Empty Lewis repaying the faith

Post by Mickyj Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:26 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/lewis-repaying-the-faith/story-e6freckc-1225902675953
Lewis repaying the faith
MIDFIELD sensation Scott Lewis has revealed he didn't know whether he'd get his chance with the Eagles until the eve of the season.

The 23-year-old has been arguably the SANFL's biggest surprise of 2010, rising from country footy at South Clare to one of the league's most damaging midfielders.

Thrown a lifeline at his third SANFL club by coach Michael Godden who invited him to pre-season, Lewis wasn't asked to sign until a week before round one.

``Even two weeks before the first game I didn't know if I was going to be at the club or not,'' Lewis said.

``He (Godden) hadn't said, `we want you to sign now', I was just waiting until they rang up and said `we want you to sign'.''

Lewis was ``desperate'' to prove himself and had the Eagles turned him away, said he would have hit the phones to find a home.

``But I knew Godsy wouldn't stuff me around, he'd tell me if I'm not in.

``I absolutely love it here.''

Godden has believed in Lewis for most of his career.

Working together at West Adelaide then Glenelg, where Lewis won a reserves Magarey Medal, and now at Oval Avenue.

And Lewis is repaying the faith in spades.

He's averaging 23 possessions a game - the most of any Eagle - and has strong claims to be leading their best-and-fairest award.

``I owe him (Godden) a lot, he looked after me at the Bays and now he's looking after me here,'' Lewis said.

Admitting his lack of pace was a problem, Lewis ran on his off-nights with fiancee Bec who's a personal trainer and virtually swore off his two weaknesses - chocolate and Coke.

``I'm not the quickest bloke getting around but I try and work hard, get fit,'' he said.

``(In pre-season) I wanted to make every session, eat right, get my body trim and do everything to get my name up there.

``Godsy has put me in a position where it has gelled nicely for me.''

Lewis had played 21 league games at Glenelg and West Adelaide between 2006-2008. That number will double in one season.

``It's a belief thing with Scott,'' Godden said.

``He's always had natural talent, probably just been a little bit unlucky at the Bays the midfield was so strong, and an opportunity arose here.

``All I can do is put him out there, he's got to do all the work so he's a credit to himself for that.''

Godden gave Lewis no promises when he lured him to Woodville-West Torrens, but knew from an early trial game he had a player.

``When I brought him across I said `look there'll be no favourtism, but if you do the pre-season you'll get a crack at it'.

``He played extremely well in a trial game he racked up 35 (disposals) but didn't hit a target.

``I thought it was enough to say that with a bit of confidence . . . and the next week he went back out, went bang and hasn't stopped since.

``His work ethic off the field is second to none, he's a real worker.''

Godden said Lewis had answered any doubt he could perform at league level.

``I've watched him do it at reserves level for years and when he won the reserves Magarey (Medal) he was unbelievable.

``(There was the question of) whether he could stand up to that (league) sort of pressure and I think he's proven he can do that.''
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Lewis repaying the faith Empty Re: Lewis repaying the faith

Post by eaglehaslanded Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:08 pm

Lewis has been a fantastic addition to our club this season. Has played all 16 league games this year. A little slow to start but has hit his straps a lot earlier than most expected. Has without a doubt out-performed any pre-season expectations of him. A real contender for Club Champion and without a doubt our recruit of the year.
eaglehaslanded
eaglehaslanded

Back to top Go down