Hopeful Jelly
EagleRock
Columbo
MightyEagles
Mickyj
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Eagles vs Norwood fortress Woodville - Page 2 Empty Re: Eagles vs Norwood fortress Woodville

Post by Columbo Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:29 pm

A win is a win and we came away with it today, sometimes you have to win ugly....and that was about as ugly as the game a few years back at Adelaide Oval against the bays.
Was amazed at the number of times I looked into Norwood's 50M arc to find it totally deserted becuase all of their players were taking up space in our forward half and were then too slow to get back to their end when they got the ball. Quite a contrast to last week where it was a bit of shootout against Port who despite having a young side like Norwood were taking risks and scoring because of it.

Thought Todd Miles was outstanding today, some good contested marks down back, some good work in the ruck and 2 goals to cap it all off. Scott Lewis got plenty of it...disposal a bit wayward at times but he puts himself in the right places. Powelly and Cicca were good again as were Flash and Greiger down back.

The twos was a bit of scrap too but again a win is win, Tom Corbett made a few mistakes but tried hard all day, did some good bullocking work when it was needed and probably deserved his BOG award at the club tonight. Cody Hicks, Brad Geddes and Jimmy Stewart all had reasonable games, but think the real standout performance was from Patty Giuffreda playing his first game for over a season he didn't look like he had ever been away.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Eagles vs Norwood fortress Woodville - Page 2 Empty Re: Eagles vs Norwood fortress Woodville

Post by Eagle014 Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:42 pm

Best players given by the club:-
Reserves:
1st Tom Corbett
2nd Paddy Guiffreda - not bad after missing all of last year
3rd Cody Hicks
4th Jarred Allmond
5th Todd Cully
Seniors:
MVP - Luke Jarrad
1st Todd Miles
2nd Luke Powell
3rd Stuart Hill
4th Luke Jarrad
Yes, it was a very long day watching those two games.
MickyJ, from the comments made at the club tonight you would be correct in suspecting Norwood's game style was the cause of what we sat through today.
Eagle014
Eagle014

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:04 pm

Eagle014 wrote:Best players given by the club:-
Reserves:
1st Tom Corbett
2nd Paddy Guiffreda - not bad after missing all of last year
3rd Cody Hicks
4th Jarred Allmond
5th Todd Cully
Seniors:
MVP - Luke Jarrad
1st Todd Miles
2nd Luke Powell
3rd Stuart Hill
4th Luke Jarrad
Yes, it was a very long day watching those two games.
MickyJ, from the comments made at the club tonight you would be correct in suspecting Norwood's game style was the cause of what we sat through today.

Interesting that Eagle 14. I think Zest and I discussed after the game that last year we may have just manned up in our forward line.And as I posted above we all know what happened last year doing that .plus Columbo is correct and i always say a win is a win worry about percentage latter.
Wonder If I could ask Kim what he said at 3/4 time now that would be worth knowing.
Wink
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by areaman Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:15 pm

Wasn't at the game today unfortunately but from what I've read I didn't miss much of a spectacle! Still a win is a win and 2 from 2 is always a nice start to the season even if it's against teams likely to finish lower on the ladder this year.

Can anyone let us know how James Rimington went today?

Looking forward to next week already against Sturt which I'm glad to say I will be at. First look at the team against a fancied opponent away from home will be a big test for the boys.
areaman
areaman

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:17 pm

Columbo wrote:A win is a win and we came away with it today, sometimes you have to win ugly....and that was about as ugly as the game a few years back at Adelaide Oval against the bays.

I said that to Dad walking back to the car, and a guy who was walking just ahead heard me and turned around and also recalled it.

And I think today was a worse win than that, because Glenelg had 16 players inside the 50 a lot of the time in that match; Norwood had less, but definitely premeditated to cut down the influence of Welsh, Salter and Grocke. Those names I'll bet gave Bassett and co. a fright.

Also, the fact that the margin back in 2001 (the time must have flown by for you Columbo if you thought it was only a few years ago!) was 47 points, and today was only 18 points.

The interesting thing is that the win has increased out percentage slightly, even though we only kicked 57 points.

Another point to ponder is that will other teams try to do the same thing? Will Godden know what to expect and try something else next time? Such as moving another player up forward; placing Welsh on the ball or whatever. Just on Welsh, he went to ground very easily today; he will be better for the run mind you.

And to show you where Norwood are, just the fact they never once looked like winning, yet we couldn't possibly play much worse than that.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:22 pm

spell_check wrote:

Also, the fact that the margin back in 2001 (the time must have flown by for you Columbo if you thought it was only a few years ago!) was 47 points, and today was only 18 points.

lol....i really didnt think it was that long ago, i would have said maybe 5 or 6 max..not 9! Shocked
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:24 pm

spell_check wrote:
Columbo wrote:A win is a win and we came away with it today, sometimes you have to win ugly....and that was about as ugly as the game a few years back at Adelaide Oval against the bays.

I said that to Dad walking back to the car, and a guy who was walking just ahead heard me and turned around and also recalled it.

And I think today was a worse win than that, because Glenelg had 16 players inside the 50 a lot of the time in that match; Norwood had less, but definitely premeditated to cut down the influence of Welsh, Salter and Grocke. Those names I'll bet gave Bassett and co. a fright.

The interesting thing is that the win has increased out percentage slightly, even though we only kicked 57 points.

Another point to ponder is that will other teams try to do the same thing? Will Godden know what to expect and try something else next time? Such as moving another player up forward; placing Welsh on the ball or whatever. Just on Welsh, he went to ground very easily today; he will be better for the run mind you.

And to show you where Norwood are, just the fact they never once looked like winning, yet we couldn't possibly play much worse than that.

Actually Spelly I think "GODS" did a few moves in the last quarter .Cica and miles at the first bounce Macca on the ball .And the 3rd term cheep went on the ball .His hands in close in the packs he got the ball out.From my spot in the stand anyway.
I just wonder if more of our boys threw themselves in and took a chance.If we could have been a more running team today .Makes me think .
At least the likes of Lewis were getting the ball .Turnovers ruin his game.
We still need a small forward to step up from somewhere !!
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:03 am

Match Report

Eagles 8.9 (57) defeated Norwood 5.9 (39)

Full Match Results

10/04/2010 Rnd 3
Eagles vs Norwood

By Peter Argent

Starting with a shower of rain, the Round 3 clash against Norwood was a scrappy and error ridden affair, although the weather didn’t have a lot to do with the modest decision making and poor disposal on occasions.

Despite continually turning the ball over, especially through the first half, the Eagles still claimed an 18-point victory against a Redlegs side that only had 2 scoring shots from half time.

Woodville West Torrens kicked the only goal of the opening term kicking to the Grange Road end of the ground, as Norwood’s inaccuracy in this quarter would prove to be a fatal blow for them, later in the game.

The Redlegs actually led at half time by 5 points in what was a haphazard and disappointing period.

They held onto the lead during the third term, until a late goal returned the lead to the hosts.

3 goals (and 5 behinds) to a goal in the final term ensured a second successive victory.

A late starter at League level, by modern standards, Todd Miles, playing his 24th consecutive game since debuting in round one last year, was best on ground, being used as a ruckman who rotated through the forward line. Miles also kicked the first 2 goals of the game, at the eight minute mark of the opening term and seven minutes into the second quarter.

Luke Powell played with his usual vigour and tenacity through the middle of the ground, while Leigh Treeby and Luke Jarrad were both influential.

Coming back to SANFL football this year, journeyman Scott Lewis produced his second strong performance across half back, while teenager from Ardrossan on the Yorke Peninsula Angus Rowntree was conspicuous, especially in the first half.

As if he hadn’t missed a beat, Captain Mark McKenzie returned to lead his Club and continued to display his sublime skills and ability to read the game.

Scott Welsh played his first game in Eagles tri-colours and in a difficult day for forwards, he kicked his initial goal in the second half.

Next week is an important game, playing against Sturt at House Brothers Oval (Unley Oval).
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:58 pm

Eagles grind out win over Norwood

* Warren Partland

Woodville-West Torrens survived a gritty Norwood challenge to claim an 18-point victory in an uninspiring clash at Woodville on Saturday.

It is not a battle which will have the Eagles reflecting with fond memories despite banking the vital premiership points with its second win from two games.

For much of the contest they lacked composure, coughed up poor skills and were indecisive with the senior players often the guilty person against a Redlegs outfit focussed on ensuring an intense contest.

''It was scrappy, especially early,'' Eagles coach Michael Godden said. ''Our workrate was not to the level it should be.''

A lack of firepower in the forward line proved the Redlegs' achilles heel and this was evident from the opening quarter when too many promising thrusts deep into attack broke down with the final kick.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related Coverage

''It did not look like a pretty game,'' Norwood coach Nathan Bassett said. ''When both teams can't use it cleanly you get consistent turnovers.''

EAGLES 1.1 3.4 5.4 8.9 (57) d NORWOOD 0.6 3.9 4.9 5.9 (39)

BEST - Eagles: Powell, Lewis, Jarrad, Miles, Salter. Norwood: Hughes, Duigan, Lower, Rodan, Phillips.

SCORERS - Eagles: Miles 2.0, Salter 1.2, Jarad, Treeby, Welsh 1.1, Grocke, Staple 1.0, Thompson, Powell, Symmons 0.1, rushed 0.1. Norwood: Rowe 2.0, Rodan, Donohue 1.1, Phillips 1.0, Lower, Lee, Duigan, Ialeggio 0.1, rushed 0.3.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:00 pm

Michael Godden - League Coach Report

For all of the people that were at this game, I think it’s fair to say that it was not a great advertisement for SANFL football. After having 31 goals scored last week to only 13 this week, it was a certainly a battle of the defenses, but as a team sometimes you just have to do whatever you can do to get a win - and we did that. The skills were not up to scratch and our work-rate was lacking, so we have a lot of work to do this week to make sure we travel to House Brothers Oval with confidence.

The game started with a lot of numbers behind the ball, when you have that situation your skills have to be nearly perfect - which they certainly were not. It was a matter of hanging tough in the back half for the first quarter which I thought we did pretty well, with Norwood having 16 inside 50s and were able to only score 6 points.

The second quarter was a scrappy affair with neither side being able to get into a rhythm.

At half time we adjusted the way we moved the ball forward as well as our set ups at the stoppages. These adjustments didn’t take immediate effect in the third quarter, but I thought in the last quarter we started to get some sort of fluency as Norwood’s zone started to get tired.

A real positive for me is the last two weeks we have been in a difficult situation at 3 quarter time and both times the boys have fought the game out hard, and ultimately coming away with victories which gives us a lot of confidence going forward.

It’s been an interesting start to my first year of senior coaching with two completely different game styles we have had to adjust to. To the player’s credit, they have adapted well to change while still trying to get our style going. As I said earlier, we have to be a lot better this week to come away with a victory against Sturt. All of us expect to be able to do this - to be the best you have to beat the best, so we will be working hard to achieve this and I will look forward to seeing all of the Eagles army in force at House Brothers Oval this weekend

Craig Smith - Reserves Coach Report

It was a frustrating and difficult day for the Reserves on Saturday. The style of football played did not allow our players to gain any flow and momentum. That being said the work rate of our players in the first half in particular was a little disappointing. After half time our boys did start to gain some ascendancy, particularly in the midfield. This enabled our forward line to function a little better.

There are undoubtedly several areas we need to improve on in the coming weeks, the most obvious being skill execution. This is a common theme through out the Club and I am certain it is something the players will continue to work hard at improving.

One of the positives from the game was the continued improvement in form from some of our younger players. Jarred Redden showed some very positive signs particularly in the first half, Todd Culley worked hard in defense despite being below full fitness and Jarred Allmond is starting to show glimpses of the form he had last year. Tom Corbett was outstanding and led the way with his hardness at the ball and work ethic in the midfield.

Without question though the story of the day was the return of Pat Giuffreda after an extended lay off with injury. Pat has shown great determination to return to the field, and the outstanding condition he presented himself in for his first game on Saturday is a credit to his professionalism. It was also very pleasing to see the form he showed and the poise with which he rebounded from our defense.

I said to the boys after the game that we will have to improve on that performance next week if we are to be successful against Sturt. I am sure the boys are keen to work hard on the track this week in preparation for the challenge at Unley on Saturday.

Terry Hutton - Under 18 Coach Report

The 1st quarter saw a very tight contest. The Eagles were quickly into attack, scoring 2 goals before Norwood steadied.

The contest was fierce. Many scrimmages occurred as both teams threw themselves in to the contest. Many frees were paid as umpires asserted their authority.

The 2nd quarter saw the tight struggle continue. Norwood used handball and numbers in defence to try to gain control, creating errors from both sides.

Eagles held a slender lead by half time.

The 3rd quarter saw Eagles gain dominance with run on play, using space down the line and strong forward marking. Strong pressure was applied to the Norwood ball carrier.

Tackling was excellent. The centre line were very good, using pace & team work to work the ball forward consistently.

The 4th quarter saw the dominance continue as the forwards took many strong marks. The back line played close and tight and were able to create attacks. sharp handball help them rebound strongly Norwood over hand balled and gave the Eagles plenty of opportunities to pressure.

Darren Hams - Under 16 Coach Report

In a game that didn’t reach any great viewing standards until the last quarter, we were able to get away to a good start and lead by 3 goals 5 minutes into the second quarter and it was during this quarter in which our players took their foot off the pedal and stopped applying pressure, allowing Norwood who get numbers behind the ball to spread & use their foot skills effectively.

The players rallied at half time with the emphasis being more accountable & applying more pressure to our immediate opponent. We were able to get ourselves back in the game and at 3 quarter time the game was in the balance, we just had to keep on doing the little things & taking our opportunities when they presented themselves.

Unfortunately we fell short by less than a kick, and even got 1 point in front during the last few minutes but couldn’t hang on. A much more spirited effort after a disappointing 2nd quarter, well done to Karl Muller who was our best player, lead our Rucks and the encouraging thing was that Karl started to take some marks around the ground. Also well done to Tasman Fitzgerald who contributed up forward by kicking 5 goals.

We look forward to Glenelg on Wednesday & in particular stringing 4 quarters of consistent footy together.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2