Premiers
spell_check
Kaitlyn51
PhilH
MightyEagles
Mickyj
10 posters

Go down

Rnd 17 17/07/10  Eagles V South Fortress	Woodville Empty Rnd 17 17/07/10 Eagles V South Fortress Woodville

Post by Mickyj Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:52 pm

Post away guys and gals
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Rnd 17 17/07/10  Eagles V South Fortress	Woodville Empty Re: Rnd 17 17/07/10 Eagles V South Fortress Woodville

Post by MightyEagles Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:15 pm

Another triple header.

U18s 8.40 am
Reserves 11.25 am
League 2.10 pm
MightyEagles
MightyEagles

Back to top Go down

Rnd 17 17/07/10  Eagles V South Fortress	Woodville Empty Re: Rnd 17 17/07/10 Eagles V South Fortress Woodville

Post by PhilH Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:10 am

RELEASE : COMMUNITY COMES TO THE EAGLES

This Saturday (July 17) as part of its home game against South Adelaide, the Woodville-West Torrens Eagles (SANFL) will host its first ever EAGLES COMMUNITY DAY at Woodville Oval.

Planned activities include;

1) Community Group Displays & Activities From
- City of Charles Sturt
- Meals on Wheels
- Woodville District Cricket Club
- Teen Challenge
- Port Adelaide Softball Club
- CARA (Western Carers)
- Girl Guides SA
- Reclink Australia
- First Kidman Park Scout & Guide Group
- Greyhound Adoption Agency (SA)
- Woodville-West Torrens Football Club

2) Kids Community Treasure Hunt
- Kids will have a chance to follow the Community Treasure Map, collect items and perform tasks at the various displays and then enter the draw for a Eagles merchandise prize.

3) RecLink Exhibition Game
- To be played between the Reserves and League games this 9 a side exhibition involving the Teen Challenge Eagles highlights the new RecLink competition commencing in Adelaide. RecLink Australia is a charitable organisation whose mission is to provide sporting, social and arts activities to enhance the lives of people experiencing disadvantage, targeting some of the communities most vulnerable and isolated people

5) Guard of Honour
Volunteers in our local area will be acknowledged in our Community Guard of Honour when the league runs out, There will also be a banner to recognise Luke Jarrad’s 100th league game for the Eagles.

6) Triple Treat of Football
The day commences with the Under 18’s at 8.40am followed by the Reserves at 11.25am and the League game at 2.10pm.

7) Fuller & Parry Tackle Former Teams
The game also marks the first return of former Eagles coach Ron Fuller to Woodville Oval, whilst off-season Eagles recruit Craig Parry plays his first game against his old club, South Adelaide.

With so much on, supporters are encouraged to come to Woodville a little earlier to take part in the activities.
[b]
PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaitlyn51 Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:45 pm

compaired to the last couple of years there have been barely any banners Sad im glad we get to do one this week for Luke Smile he deserves it Very Happy

Should be a good 3 games Smile its a better idea them having the under 18s before Smile
Kaitlyn51
Kaitlyn51

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:22 pm

F: Knights Thompson Burton
HF: Grocke Welsh Day
C: Polec Lewis Rowntree
HB: Smith Bock Jarrad
B: McKenzie Grieger Allmond
Ruck: Parry Cicolella Powell
Int: Treeby Miles Giuffreda

In: Polec, Bock, Treeby
Out: Petrenko (foot), J.Stewart, Daniel
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:38 pm

spell_check wrote:F: Knights Thompson Burton
HF: Grocke Welsh Day
C: Polec Lewis Rowntree
HB: Smith Bock Jarrad
B: McKenzie Grieger Allmond
Ruck: Parry Cicolella Powell
Int: Treeby Miles Giuffreda

In: Polec, Bock, Treeby
Out: Petrenko (foot), J.Stewart, Daniel

I honestly don't know what to say BOCK as an in. Haven't seen him since an anzac day clash.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:00 pm

Bock has never given value top the Eagles in the past culminating in his disastrous performance in a semi-final against Sturt a few years ago. But hell! this is 2010 and hopefully, he's got more maturity and will give us a 100% effort. I didn't see last week's game but James Stewart must have put in a bad one to be dropped.
Reckon Mick Godden ought to forget the talk of making the Final 3 and concentrate on the Final 5 - lose to South on SATURDAY and we're gone but being an optimist, we beat SOUTH and PORT, lose to GLENELG, CENTRALS and then the 2 crunch games Sturt and North. On present form, we will only win 3 of these which won't be enough.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Flash Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:32 pm

An interesting line-up. The midfield looks good, particularly with the added pace of Polac. It's good to see Smithy retain his position in the team. I thought he played well last week The backline looks solid BUT, no Jimmy Stewart. Where is the run going to come from now??

Looking forward, and I see some worrying signs. Burton and Knights who looked well underdone last week and struggled to get a possession between them are named in the starting 18. Welsh is out of form, and also struggled to get a kick. After a good first quarter last week, both Grocke and Day fell out of the game and had little impact. IMHO we need a pacy opportunist forward. Maybe, Treeby will be thrown forward as he will give an homest contest.
Hopefully, it all comes together for the boys on Saturday and they notch-up a good win.
Flash
Flash

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle014 Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:20 pm

I think Jimmy Stewart is very unlucky to be dropped.
Don't like Thompson at full forward but he may not line up there.
Worried about this game especially with three underdone Crows players.
Congratulations to Luke Jarrad on his 100th game for the Eagles.
Eagle014
Eagle014

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:38 pm

Burton and Knights would have been good for the run last week (whatever time they had on the ground), so should go better this week.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by EagleRock Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:41 pm

Thought Stewarts disposal by foot at times last week was poor.
EagleRock
EagleRock

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:57 pm

Ok, lets get this out the way first. I'll elaborate on things here rather on SAFooty. The umpiring. Even though Richard Williams did not have as good a day as I come to expect, he was far better than the other two.

Lets sum up some of the things I saw during the first half, and some of the third:
-Allmond getting ridden into the ground (play on), 5 seconds later, same thing happens to a South player (free kick)
-Day put the arm out to give a player a push, succeeds in laying one finger on said player and is penalised. Since when is an attempted push out a free?
-A player spoils Welsh (play on). A minute later, Welsh is caught behind and spoils (free kick against Welsh)
-The incident I touched on SAFooty about Knights dropping the ball on the ground because a South player did not come and take the ball from him. 25 metre penalty.
-The 25 metre penalty at half time? WTF was that for?
And then this picture:
Rnd 17 17/07/10  Eagles V South Fortress	Woodville Dscf5215
(ball up)

Enough of that.

Or is it enough? How many weeks will they give Grocke? It's not really Williams fault he was reported, as I think it's protocol nowadays to report someone who makes contact with a players head with a bump. Never mind the fact that Grocke went in to make a contest.

He was outstanding today, particularly the 2nd half. South showed just what they are missing out on with Parry. I'm hoping the stats show he had 50 hit outs, because I don't recall him losing one ruck duel.

The 2nd half was Miles better than the first. Even though we were outscored in the 3rd quarter, it was as good as a win because we were kicking into the wind - note that 70+ metre goal in the third by a player whose name escapes me from South. No wonder no club wants to get into a shootout with us.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle014 Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:27 pm

Best players from presentation tonight:-
Reserves -
1st Staple
2nd Goldsworthy
3rd Flanegan
4th Graham

League -
1st - Grocke plus MVP
2nd - Parry
3rd - Bock
4th - Polec

League best players from Norwood
1st - Lewis
2nd - Jarrad
3rd - Allmond

Today was Nathan Bock's 50th game for the Eags, it's just taken him a few years!!
The umpiring was deplorable expecially from one 'small' individual, but this seems to be the story each week for the Eagles.
Eagle014
Eagle014

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:30 pm

The AFL listed umpire that caused Knights to glare last week was to blame IMHO.I wont name him .
I also think we may have done some undisciplined acts but why not pay the frees both ways .The free against Powell when he took the mark was no different than the mark taken by a south player on the outer earlier in the quarter.why the 25 metre I have no idea .
We lack a leading marking Forward to play at Full forward .
We gained much needed pace and youth today .
Bock can stay with us a class above IMHO.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:42 pm

I forgot something else. I think Day had the ball after taking a mark. He holds the ball out as if to play on, but does not move his feet. Play on is called. Rolling Eyes
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:03 pm

spell_check wrote:I forgot something else. I think Day had the ball after taking a mark. He holds the ball out as if to play on, but does not move his feet. Play on is called. Rolling Eyes

yep was a bad display spelly.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Col D Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:12 am

Best crowd for south game at woodville for 5 years I believe - almost 2200 - congratulations to Phil H for all the community work he did with plenty of displays and more people through the gates.

Good night at the club with the dinner auction too.
Col D
Col D

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:44 am

Eagle014 wrote:Today was Nathan Bock's 50th game for the Eags, it's just taken him a few years!!

That went under the radar, I'll admit! His last match before today was in Round 18 2006.

Season by season (1st match Rd 3 2001 vs Sturt at Unley):
2001: 2 games 1 goal 1 behind
2002: 15 games 20.12
2003: 18 games 12.10
2004: 6 games 2.0
2005: 6 games 0.1
2006: 2 games 0.1
2010: 1 game 0.0
Total: 50 games 35.25
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:46 am

Col D wrote:Best crowd for south game at woodville for 5 years I believe - almost 2200 - congratulations to Phil H for all the community work he did with plenty of displays and more people through the gates.

Good night at the club with the dinner auction too.

Yes, 2388 in Round 6 2005.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle014 Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:59 pm

spell_check wrote:
Eagle014 wrote:Today was Nathan Bock's 50th game for the Eags, it's just taken him a few years!!

That went under the radar, I'll admit! His last match before today was in Round 18 2006.

Season by season (1st match Rd 3 2001 vs Sturt at Unley):
2001: 2 games 1 goal 1 behind
2002: 15 games 20.12
2003: 18 games 12.10
2004: 6 games 2.0
2005: 6 games 0.1
2006: 2 games 0.1
2010: 1 game 0.0
Total: 50 games 35.25
He admitted last night at presentation that he didn't know himself but was sitting with Paddy Giuffreda during the reserves game & they noticed it in his stats. So you are definitely forgiven Spelly
Eagle014
Eagle014

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:58 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/grockes-goals-help-eagles-fly/story-e6freckc-1225893392343

Grocke's goals help Eagles fly

A HERCULEAN performance from key forward Adam Grocke lifted the Eagles to a 53-point win over South Adelaide at Woodville Oval yesterday.

Grocke was unstoppable across half forward, finishing with 19 disposals, 12 marks and six goals in a best-on-ground display.

''He's a very, very good player. Good on the lead-up, good going back with the flight and he works hard - his defensive actions are outstanding,'' Eagles coach Michael Godden said.

''And from a big forward it's gold to have that.''

After a competitive first three quarters it was all one-way traffic in the last as the Eagles kicked six goals to none to condemn the Panthers to their 11th consecutive loss.

Godden warned his team South would be confident after beating the Eagles the last time they met in round five, and was pleased his troops over-ran them when the game was up for grabs late in the day.

''I felt in control, we certainly played some average footy for a while but the pressure was good by South and they've been noted for that.

''We had a good start, second quarter dropped right away, third quarter was a bit of a fight and the last we found a bit of space and the game opened up.''

The Eagles had plenty of contributors, mostly through the midfield but also ruckman Craig Parry - who earned Godden's praise for his ''one percenters'' and flashy wingman Jared Polec who returned from the under-18 national championships to kick three goals.

Crows stars Nathan Bock and Chris Knights were also very good in pushing for an AFL re-call.

The home side had double the number of possessions of South but failed to make it count on the scoreboard in the first term.

At the other end, the Panthers blazed away going forward and it took Andrew Horne to shoot from 40m on the run for their first goal.

Goals to Knights and Leigh Treeby sparked the Eagles in the second term but suddenly everyone seemed to lift for the Panthers who clawed their way back into the contest.

Sam Richman was very impressive through the midfield, Guy O'Keefe won plenty of hard ball and a goal to Nick Liddle saw South trail by just 13 points at half time.

The third term became a shoot-out but the Eagles got late goals which steadied the ship.

The job was made even harder for South when Grocke goaled two minutes into the final quarter and dominated from then on.

''The reality is we just ran out of options in the end, not just rotations physically but talent-wise as well,'' South coach Ron Fuller said.

''The team is extremely competitive . . . then you see guys like Sam Richman and Andrew Carter come into the side and really contribute.

''(But) we're still a fair way off because when you are competitive and make some opportunities for yourself like we did, you still need the class to finish it off.

''We're hanging in there, hanging in there, hanging in there - but that's just hanging in there, it's not taking it to another level and being in front or well and truly in front.''

Staggeringly, the Eagles don't play again until August 7 with their bye falling on the SANFL's split round.

Players will meet on Monday night then have a week off before fronting up to what Godden promises will be a solid month on the track.
EAGLES 2.2 5.5 11.7 17.14 (116)
SOUTH 1.1 3.4 9.7 9.9 (63)

BEST - Eagles: Grocke, Bock, Jarrad, Powell, Cicolella, Knights, Polec, Parry. South: O'Keefe, Gotch, Horne, Lyons, McKernan.

GOALS - Eagles: Grocke 6, Polec, Welsh 3, Parry, Treeby, Knights, Miles, Fitzgerald. South: Veide 2, Liddle, Horne, Whitford, Warren, Cockshell, McKernan, Richman.

INJURIES - Eagles: Knights (chest). South: Crate (ill).

REPORTS - Eagles: Grocke (forceful contact to the head).

CROWD - 2181 at Woodville Oval.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:53 pm

Eagles vs South Adelaide - Saturday 17th July 2010

Michael Godden – Senior Coach Report

After the disappointment of the Norwood game it was good to see the team rebound with a solid effort. As I said in last week’s report we have a lot of things that the group are working on and need to improve, one of them was to play a full 4 quarter game. So this week we were able to put together 3 solid quarters, but we are still looking for that elusive full game.

In the pre match we talked about the value of persistence, we knew how competitive South has been recently and we thought this was going to be a very important ingredient. The game started well with the guys really committing to the contested balls and they were working hard on the style of play. The first half was a real arm wrestle with both sides trying to gain the upper hand; at the main break we once again discussed the importance of persistence.

The second half started with us playing some really good and some really ordinary football, so to score 6.2 into the breeze was great, but to give up 6.3 was extremely disappointing. With that said I was happy going into the last quarter with a 12 point break considering we were kicking with a pretty significant breeze. We didn’t really change much, the game just opened up a bit and we were able to get some flow, which saw us finish strongly with an inaccurate 6.7 to 0.2 to give us a much needed 53 point victory.

Apart from the ability to persist which was a huge positive, the main negative was once again our skills, it is something we will continue to address and I am sure with hard work this will improve.

We now go into an interesting period with the bye and a split round, so the way we manage this will be very important to what happens later in the year. Monday night we will have a light run and a review from the weekend’s game, followed by a rare week away from the Club and structured training. In the middle week we will have some very solid hit outs, but once again they will have the weekend off. The following Monday we return to prepare for the Port game on the Saturday, which like all games at this time of year is an extremely important one.

Craig Smith - Reserves Coach Report

It turned out to be a very successful day for the Club on Saturday. The Under 18’s played before the Reserves and watching them I could not help but be impressed with the brand of football they played as well as the individual talent on show. This is a good sign for the future of our Club.

The conditions were a little heavy but this did not stop the Reserves boys from approaching the game with enthusiasm and intensity. In the first quarter we had ten scoring shots to one, but due to our poor kicking for goal we were only 24 points in front. The second quarter saw us continue with our good ball movement, as well as maintaining pressure on the opposition. We went into half time in control of the game and leading by 45 points.

In a game like this the main challenge is to maintain mental strength and discipline and in the second half on Saturday we were able to do that pretty well. We kicked six goals in the third quarter and three in the last into the breeze. The final margin was 66 points. This was a reflection of our good work throughout the day.

It has been a good month for the Reserves recording three wins and one loss; that loss being a reasonable effort against the top side Sturt. More importantly it has been really pleasing to see the players playing an intense, hard running style of game. The players have really embraced the team focused approach that is becoming our trademark in the last month and hopefully this will continue after the split round break. The final five games will provide a considerable challenge and we are all looking forward to it.

Terry Hutton - Under 18’s Coach Report

Saturday morning – 1st game of a triple header - dew on the grass – fine conditions – cold northeast wind, soft muddy centre – all contributed to an initially scrappy game which saw lots of turnovers, many balls slipping out of the hands, scrimmages all over the ground. Players found difficulty adapting to the conditions; too many handballs given too quickly and missing the body, kicks that seem to slew off the side of the foot, easy marks dropped. Despite this the Eagles established early ascendancy with some clever play. Simple mistakes allowed South to score 2 goals. They were intent on clogging up our forward space then trying to run the ball out.

The second quarter saw the game tighten up even more. Again South scored two quick goals – ball over the back of the pack into space - South bustling their way through the lines. Too many of our players were sucked into the scrimmages, leaving the outside space far too open along with the check side areas, but gradually the better team work of the Eagles allowed Hobbs to score two goals with fine marking and accurate kicking. Broadbent on the wing was winning plenty of the ball. Sutcliffe either at half back or on rotation drove the ball forward. Again kicking appeared flat particularly the left footers, with very few penetrating drop punts. Von Bertouch was on fire with 5 goals before halftime – good leading and fine marking were very evident. His 11 goals were a match winning performance. Well done!

Muller and Easther were giving the onballers first touch often in the centre and at throw-ins. Clift and Toumpas as Under 16 players were playing solid football, attacking and winning many contests, courage under the bodies, effective kicks forward, reading the play and getting in position. Growden was outstanding, again notching up to 30-40 touches around the ground and in the centre. Bustling Sinor put in a very good team performance and his long raking left foot kicks proved valuable. Appleton as usual picked up many touches and is learning to use them more effectively and attack the contest harder. Harding is a very clever player when put into the rotation. His elusiveness and driving kicks usually found their target. Jacquier at CHF provided another excellent target, often breaking through the opposition with clever use of speed and agility. Pressure in the backline and in the centre prevented South from scoring in this quarter.

The 4th quarter saw the Eagles run out easy winners. Brusnahan again is proving a very positive captain with dashes from the back line, carry and run on play as well as directing voice. Cashel and Mansell on the backline elude opposition with their left foot turns, strong attacks on the ball and effective drives down the line. They are rarely beaten. Elfenbein had some difficulty in the first half handling the slippery ball but picked his attack up in the second half and played some good team football, harassing and pressuring South players. Drogmuller came into his first game for many weeks. At CHB, he took some strong marks, rebounded well and held the position against a strong marking player. Joyce and Poole as rovers were in and under the contest. Poole gave away some angry frees in the first half but proved more effective in the second half. His response when challenged by the coach showed a more positive frame of mind and responded to win many touches. Joyce again proved what a quality reader of the play he is but several of his LF kicks early in the game just seemed to lack power
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down