Glenelg v Eagles Saturday May 4 th ACH group stadium

+2
wimpy
MichaelScott
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Glenelg v Eagles Saturday May 4 th ACH group stadium  - Page 2 Empty Re: Glenelg v Eagles Saturday May 4 th ACH group stadium

Post by Mickyj Sun May 05, 2019 12:11 pm

goddy11 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:
goddy11 wrote:On paper we are a top 4 side. Too old is not an issue. I watched yesterday on digital so may not be correct but our defence which always has been a strength is non existent. Stewart was a big loss for his steadying effect.  Our lead up work to he forwards seems to have no structure. Foot skills are poor. Foote gets a lot of touches but not to best effect.
On the coach, give him time. I don't like the idea of interstate coaches. We have had 2 coaches from 2001 to 2018. I would have looked locally like we did with Godden with maybe someone with WWT in their blood. Our strength over the years was our juniors. Maybe look within. Maybe offer a big deal to Colville or Wright at SA or similar former player.

We as an eagles group at the oval were talking about Stewart and Boyd yesterday. Being on field generals last year . This has vanished poor Pup was screaming to someone about giving a handball. Foote tries he’s been the best import so far this year that’s why he’s in the state squad.
If you were there you’d have seen the age height and pace issue .
Toumpas I’ll name him gave up two goals and couldn’t hit redden with a handball
But we’ve been shown up for pace and game style .

You mention age. Which players are you talking about?  Most clubs have a similar demographic. If your good enough you make the side. Pace is just about use of the ball. We turn it over too much. That's a coaching issue and our major issue.  We handball to player not in best advantage.  Height in attack is an issue.

When you go in the paper saying you’ve put your name down for the mid season draft you’d think you could hit a person the size of redden with a handball. If it was wider it would’ve got me in the outer .
Age and size White killed us Reynolds killed us in the air .
Actually the only one who could take high flying marks was big Seb in the seconds and he’s over 30.
Now age and height PaddyG couldn’t keep up with Glenelg forwards and was standing what appeared to be ruckmen at times . He struggled in the marking contests .
Thomo didn’t appear to do much I could be wrong
Poor Hall couldn’t mark in the back lines
The Hayes boys were off I’m not sure the one with the glove is fully fit due to his injury . The other brother isn’t tall enough to be our main forward . VB did what he did in the seconds rucked and up forward he is a good player .
Now looking at Glenelg they were all taller all over the ground
Set plays and run after the ball
Redden wins the tap to four Glenelg players behind the bounce
We are to old it appears and look disinterested sorry but it looked like that at the ground
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glenelg v Eagles Saturday May 4 th ACH group stadium  - Page 2 Empty Re: Glenelg v Eagles Saturday May 4 th ACH group stadium

Post by Goddsy11 Sun May 05, 2019 2:14 pm

Micky your to emotive. I probably am to but we need to look past that.
You have named Paddy G, Hall and Thommo to get dropped because they are to old. Who replaces them?

Most of the other things thing are set ups and general play. That 100% coaching group and players sticking to set ups.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun May 05, 2019 2:33 pm

goddy11 wrote:Micky your to emotive. I probably am to but we need to look past that.
You have named Paddy G, Hall  and Thommo to get dropped because they are to old. Who replaces them?

Most of the other things thing are set ups and general play. That 100% coaching group and players sticking to set ups.

I was actually pointing out who had more issues, the entire side had issues to be honest .

Your right about the coaching group . Someone had to see what Glenelg were doing they highlighted our lack of pace . Or easier to explain like the mini league Glenelg all ran after the ball . Ball enters the Eagles forward line eagles get a point . Glenelg have four free players in a pocket free players at half back . Or one Eagles player standing on four or more . Glenelg knocks the ball out to a Glenelg player off they sprint with the ball and no eagles player could catch them .
Eagles get the ball between back pocket or half back kick to one eagle player amongst three Glenelg players they mark or spoil off they go .
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sun May 05, 2019 2:53 pm

When we replaced Fuller with Godden we picked the best available coach. My tip at the time was our reserves coach (memory escapes me either Joffer Jeffries or Wright). They had years of good results as did Godden. Godden was a godsend and his record should be better. This year we went for some outside the state with no winning culture like we have. His involve at Glenelg was short. We picked Fuller from the juniors , perhaps we should have gone that way with our u19s always about the mark.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun May 05, 2019 3:01 pm

goddy11 wrote:When we replaced Fuller with Godden we picked the best available coach. My tip at the time was our reserves coach (memory escapes me either Joffer Jeffries or Wright). They had years of good results as did Godden. Godden was a godsend and his record should be better. This year we went for some outside the state with no winning culture like we have. His involve at Glenelg was short. We picked Fuller from the juniors , perhaps we should have gone that way with our u19s always about the mark.

Yep I agree . The only thing Fuller inherited a decent team and Godden inherited a decent team.
Funny you should mention Wright we were talking about him yesterday he was groomed to take over from Godden except he signed on for three years .
I kept saying Vinnie could’ve stepped up if he wanted to .
Except our new coach took a tassie team from bottom to the finals and same result as last years finals fade out for the eagles .

There’s something about inheriting a good side Fuller did then went to South and couldn’t coach .
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sun May 05, 2019 3:23 pm

Micky, I used the words culture. Our winning culture is what has made us feared for years.
Tasmanian football is basically SA country equivalent. Some really good players and the rest hacks.
Fuller was a successful junior coach and a lot of kids he taught were in his side. Yes he took over a good side that had been developed. His record could have been better but it was the Centrals decade. His stint at SA can not be counted because I think Jesus would not have done better with that rabble.

Godden took on an average side that recruited some real guns and premiership 1st year and should have had a few more.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun May 05, 2019 3:33 pm

goddy11 wrote:Micky, I used the words culture. Our winning culture is what has made us feared for years.
Tasmanian football is basically SA country equivalent. Some really good players and the rest hacks.
Fuller was a successful junior coach and a lot of kids he taught were in his side. Yes he took over a good side that had been developed. His record could have been better but it was the Centrals decade. His stint at SA can not be counted because I think Jesus would not have done better with that rabble.

Godden took on an average side that recruited some real guns and premiership 1st year and should have had a few more.

Agree a chap I talk to at the footy or one of a group said Fuller is a legend due to GF wins and Godden was one win away from that . Injuries hurt Godden the West GF best example and Fuller had Central to contest with .
Yep about Tassie
As a lady told me yesterday it’s a season of learning for both coach and players .
Could be coaching group not just coach
Another guy spoke to Boyd who played well in the seconds not happy to be dropped .
Judged in paper to be the best player against Port but at the club couldn’t make the best players. I was going to say hi to Firns but he looked pissed off and heading out of the ground .

The other thing about yesterday’s seconds game West did a hammy in the fourth.
Coach must’ve given him a rocket at 1/4 time because he improved a 100 percent.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Mon May 06, 2019 8:49 am

goddy11 wrote:On paper we are a top 4 side. Too old is not an issue. I watched yesterday on digital so may not be correct but our defence which always has been a strength is non existent. Stewart was a big loss for his steadying effect.  Our lead up work to he forwards seems to have no structure. Foot skills are poor. Foote gets a lot of touches but not to best effect.
On the coach, give him time. I don't like the idea of interstate coaches. We have had 2 coaches from 2001 to 2018. I would have looked locally like we did with Godden with maybe someone with WWT in their blood. Our strength over the years was our juniors. Maybe look within. Maybe offer a big deal to Colville or Wright at SA or similar former player.

Unfortunately, the two ex Eagle players that would have been in contention to coach were snapped up the year before. Lonergan should have known what to expect in the SANFL as he had played two years in it.
Maybe Jay Sheedy would have been a better selection being very familiar with the SANFL.
I also wonder about the expertise Lonergan has at his disposal!!!
Weidemann and Moore must now be given a chance, could do no worse than Haylock and Johansen.
Eagles must also play another ruckman, Redden is a liability when resting up forward.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon May 06, 2019 10:52 am

wimpy wrote:

Unfortunately, the two ex Eagle players that would have been in contention to coach were snapped up the year before. Lonergan should have known what to expect in the SANFL as he had played two years in it.
Maybe Jay Sheedy would have been a better selection being very familiar with the SANFL.
I also wonder about the expertise Lonergan has at his disposal!!!
Weidemann and Moore must now be given a chance, could do no worse than Haylock an
d Johansen.
Eagles must also play another ruckman, Redden is a liability when resting up forward.

Totally agree with your post Wimpy
The only ruckman fit in the seconds is Seb . Seeing I was told West did a hammy Saturday.
Haylock and Johansen are either out of their league or lost interest
And we can only say what we’ve seen at the games
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reddeer Tue May 07, 2019 2:13 am

Club has never got the wooden spoon in its 28 seasons. We had better hurry up and win some games
Reddeer

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Fri May 10, 2019 5:55 pm

Glad its a bye this week.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Fri May 10, 2019 6:38 pm

goddy11 wrote:Glad its a bye this week.

Yep 👍
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2