Rnd 9 - 28/05/2011 Eagles v Glenelg Gliderol Stadium @ Glenelg

+4
zest
BirdOfPrey
MightyEagles
Mickyj
8 posters

Go down

Rnd 9 - 28/05/2011  Eagles v Glenelg  Gliderol Stadium  @ Glenelg Empty Rnd 9 - 28/05/2011 Eagles v Glenelg Gliderol Stadium @ Glenelg

Post by Mickyj Mon May 23, 2011 6:45 pm

post away people .Go u eagles
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Rnd 9 - 28/05/2011  Eagles v Glenelg  Gliderol Stadium  @ Glenelg Empty Re: Rnd 9 - 28/05/2011 Eagles v Glenelg Gliderol Stadium @ Glenelg

Post by MightyEagles Mon May 23, 2011 8:24 pm

Another triple header.

U18s - 8.40 am
Reserves - 11.25 am
League - 2.10 pm
MightyEagles
MightyEagles

Back to top Go down

Rnd 9 - 28/05/2011  Eagles v Glenelg  Gliderol Stadium  @ Glenelg Empty Re: Rnd 9 - 28/05/2011 Eagles v Glenelg Gliderol Stadium @ Glenelg

Post by Mickyj Thu May 26, 2011 6:42 pm

eagles team

Woodville-West Torrens
F: Rimington, Staple, Fairclough
HF: Goldsworthy, Grocke, Batley
C: Vince, Lewis, Jarrad
HB: McKenzie, Day, Geddes
B: Allmond, Grieger, Giuffreda
R: Parry, Treeby, Powell

Interchange Raymond Sutcliffe Corbett
Rayner Bock
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdOfPrey Fri May 27, 2011 10:19 am

Can anyone tell me where Redden is??
He played a few good games at F/F last year.

I feel we are a bit stretched with our talls at the moment. Thought he could play up fwd and backup Parry.

Maybe Parry will rest up fwd this week with Hoban in. We just look a bit short.
BirdOfPrey
BirdOfPrey

Back to top Go down

Post by zest Fri May 27, 2011 1:44 pm

hes injuried since round one or two wont be back anytime soon to the league
zest
zest
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sat May 28, 2011 6:31 pm

Brian Lake (aka Eagles U17 Brian Walker) of Western Bulldogs playing ordinary, disinterested football in Western Bulldogs reserve VFL team. Expressed a desire to finish back in Adelaide eventually and still has affection for his old Club the Eagles. Expect the Eagles hierachy would be keeping in contact with him for 2013 - be handy at CHF.

Meanwhile, another strong win to the Eagles. Usual suspects prominemt but a special mention for the way Goldsworthy has stepped up in the past 2 weeks. Parry, a colossus, as always.

We've done the tough stuff beating West and Glenelg - now it's important not to stuff up against the so-called "easier sides" North and Sturt with North giving Centrals a scare today.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sat May 28, 2011 7:51 pm

That's Brian Harris, Premiers. What an in that would be if we could get him back to the Eagles!

Shame about the last half how we could not even get past our highest score for the year (only needed four goals after half time to do that), but we did a hell of a lot better than I expected. Goldsworthy has stepped up this year, full marks to him. I thought Vince was actually our best today. I'm usually not flattering to AFL players performances in our side, but his game was befitting of an AFL player. Parry was on top all day in the ruck (when he was there) another 15+ possesion game from him around the ground, and also kicked a goal. So much for being a bad influence on the club, eh?

McKenzie of course did what he does best, Staple and Grocke were complimented up forward by Goldsworthy. Now if only we can have Hentschel in there more often, plus a few games from Salter; that will make our forward line very potent indeed.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by MightyEagles Sat May 28, 2011 8:11 pm

Disappointed with the U18s and Reserves. Another nice win by the league team who should have won by at least 10 goals.
MightyEagles
MightyEagles

Back to top Go down

Post by zest Sat May 28, 2011 9:01 pm

spell_check wrote:That's Brian Harris, Premiers. What an in that would be if we could get him back to the Eagles!

Shame about the last half how we could not even get past our highest score for the year (only needed four goals after half time to do that), but we did a hell of a lot better than I expected. Goldsworthy has stepped up this year, full marks to him. I thought Vince was actually our best today. I'm usually not flattering to AFL players performances in our side, but his game was befitting of an AFL player. Parry was on top all day in the ruck (when he was there) another 15+ possesion game from him around the ground, and also kicked a goal. So much for being a bad influence on the club, eh?

McKenzie of course did what he does best, Staple and Grocke were complimented up forward by Goldsworthy. Now if only we can have Hentschel in there more often, plus a few games from Salter; that will make our forward line very potent indeed.

i think we struggled in the last half because of fitness with the injuries and players rushed back to the seniors, which if we were fit would be playing in the twos until they were 100%
zest
zest
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sat May 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Thanks Spelly - yes, "Brian Harris", remembered him playing his last match for the Eagles U17 on Adelaide Oval in a winning night grand final Even a half-fit Brian Lake would be an asset.

Once the accolades settle for a good win today, we should again look at how, even in the good performances like today, we only seem to play 2 convincing quarters. So many positives that the negatives are easier to pick - Allmond turned the ball over with his atrocious kicking on at least 4 promising Eagles forward thrusts- sad for a player who finds the ball well and if we ever get a full list of players, he might struggle. Sutcliffe is showing good signs but Fairclough not up to standard yet.

Will they rush Chris Hall straight back in the League this week after such a long lay-off or try him in the Seconds? Also, as desperate as we are for a fit Hentschel to play, having barely played 6 quarters of football intensely in 8 weeks, you would think that he needs 2 solid Seconds hit-out matches to be considered.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by zest Sat May 28, 2011 9:38 pm

i think they wont salter more than hentschel so he can get 5 games for the finals and hopefully we can get five into redden
zest
zest
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle014 Sun May 29, 2011 1:50 pm

Great day at the Bay yesterday. Terrific 1st quarter 5.5 & at least 2 of the points should have been goals, then a 6 goal 2nd quarter set us up for a good win.
Best game I've seen from Goldy this year, well done, especially considering his late start to the season because of injury.
Lewie was very busy as usual & Bernie no doubt has played himself back into the Crows.
But, the vote has to go to Craig Parry for another outstanding effort in ruck giving our onballers first look at the ball for almost the whole 4 quarters.
Best players given at the club last night:-
1st Parry
2nd Vince
3rd Goldy
4th Lewie
5th Grocke
6th McKenzie
The win set up a great night when we celebrated our 20th Anniversary.

Eagle014
Eagle014

Back to top Go down

Post by EagleRock Mon May 30, 2011 4:28 pm

Does anyone know how serious Ben Grieger's knee is ?Was at the game but did not see him leave the ground.
EagleRock
EagleRock

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle014 Mon May 30, 2011 6:18 pm

EagleRock wrote:Does anyone know how serious Ben Grieger's knee is ?Was at the game but did not see him leave the ground.
Talking to a few of the boys back at the club Saturday night I gather he has previously damaged the same knee but nothing official as yet. Will see what the news is Wednesday night at training.
Eagle014
Eagle014

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon May 30, 2011 6:52 pm

What a great win finally we win at the bay again .to bad the second half wasnt as good .
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zest Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:31 am

Coaches Comments - Rnd 9

Michael Godden – Senior Coach Report Eagles vs Glenelg – Saturday 28th May

What a great challenge the group had on Saturday to keep the momentum going after a gutsy win against West the week before. I was really pleased with the intensity that the group started the game with and the commitment to the hard ball and I was also very happy when the first goal was scored by Matthew Goldsworthy that every player on the ground got to him, it showed strength and unity. By watching the group’s body language you could tell they are starting to play for each other and there is a genuine love for the contest and this is reflecting in the results.

The first half was excellent, great physical contests and some really slick ball movement and running in numbers while holding Glenelg to a minimal score. The 3rd quarter was a real arm wrestle, stoppage after stoppage; it took some real mental toughness to win the quarter by a point. Then the last quarter came and I thought we started ok with both teams kicking early goals, but then Glenelg kicked 2 quick ones and we looked a bit rattled for a few minutes. This is the area we will be working on this week, we need to find a way to stop opposition momentum and arrest it back. There are techniques we can use and I think it will be great for the group to continue to learn them so when we are in that situation again we can get the momentum back and finish the game strongly.

On to this week. After a great night at the Club on Saturday night it is important the group re focuses quickly and we set our sights on North Adelaide. North had a very good game on the weekend and they are improving dramatically every week, so last night we discussed the week ahead and I am confident the players have put the weekends game behind them and are fully focused on North Adelaide this weekend.

Robert Cross – Reserves Coach Report

We faced a tough challenge this round against a top of the table, an undefeated Glenelg side.

Injurers had also had an effect on our side and again we had no option but to expose a couple of under 18’s to senior football (maybe just a little earlier than anticipated).

Having said that I was confident we could continue to improve on certain parts of our game and concentrate on winning more football at the stoppages.

The first quarter was exactly what I had requested from the players and with our midfield winning plenty of contested football we enter our forward 50 on numerous occasions, but unfortunately we were not able to turn our good work into goals. Glenelg however scored goals from their only couple of forward movements.

The second quarter was much the same with the Eagles boys unable to make the most of the opportunities that were coming their way. Glenelg however had a 10 minute purple patch and scored 4 quick goals.

We remained positive at the long break, firmly believing that the opposition was vulnerable under pressure

In the 2nd half we were not able to maintain the same effort we showed in the first, plus the bigger bodies of the opposition started to take its toll.

Glenelg over ran us but the score should not detract from some of our players who continued to work hard on sticking to our structures and game plan.

Nathan Rayner ran hard all day and tried his best to keep us in the game. Tom Corbett continued his good form and Craig Fitzgerald also is improving

Of the young group Tom Daly, Luke Dunstan and Jack Muirhead, showed that they have the potential to be Eagles players of the future

Next week we face North at home and during this week we will work hard on turning forward entries into goals.

Shane Grimm – Under 18’s Coach Report

The Under 18’s were again the early morning curtain raiser as part of a triple header at Gliderol Stadium at Glenelg and we were again very lucky with the weather conditions. Apart from some moisture on the surface the conditions were very good.

Our work rate and our intensity was very good in the first quarter and we looked as though we had made some real progress as a group over the past 2 or 3 weeks. We were not as clean with our ball handling or our possession but it was a very good way to start the game against the top side in the Under 18 competition.

We started the better side again in the second term and had a chance to go further in front early on but we missed a simple shot for goal which became costly as Glenelg made the most of our missed opportunity and kicked the next 6 goals in the term to take the ascendancy back from us. We did manage to compose ourselves a little late in the second term but the damage had been done and we were going to be fighting an uphill battle to get back in to this match

At Half Time we made a lot of positional changes to give some players who were performing well the opportunity to get around the ball a bit more and after the first 5 minutes it looked as though we were getting ourselves back in to the game. We kicked the first 2 goals of the 2nd Half to get back to within 4 goals. Unfortunately we let ourselves down again with Glenelg kicking the next 6 goals to go in to three quarter time with a 64 point lead, effectively snuffing out any chance of us getting back in to the game.

The last quarter was all about getting a little respect as well as some personal pride back. Even though we were outscored and outplayed in the final term I did see enough from enough players to make me think we do have some players who want to be successful and improve and I am sure that with a little extra work on the track we will improve before the end of the 2011 season.

Even though the day started out on a disappointing note we did have some very good performances from a couple of players. Karl Muller was again outstanding in the Ruck with 45 Hit Outs and James Batty also had a good day with 29 hard fought possessions as well as 10 Clearances.
zest
zest
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down