whybother
Goddsy11
Premiers
15 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

2025 Season The Preparation - Page 5 Empty Re: 2025 Season The Preparation

Post by Titan2 Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:46 pm

Ok so a bit of crystal ball gazing and a bit of wishful thinking but lets consider a scenario where none of our U18s get drafted and hence are available to the Eagles next season. Could any make the transition to playing League next season and who is playing Reserves?

• Hastings – should be aiming for a regular league spot. Has speed and a good user of the footy. Has potential to play most of the season in the League on the wing, half-back or back-pocket.
• Dodd – seems physically ready to play. From what I’ve seen of him he seems to be a bit different to Hastings/Burgoyne/Cook who have the silky skilled attributes that the AFL salivate over. He appear to be more of an old-school “in and under’ player in the D’Aloia mould. Could play several League games.
• Burgoyne – a silky skilled onballer or on the half-back line. Appears to be the best of the Burgoyne brothers to come through. However his light frame may make it difficult for him to push for League next season and I’d expect him to play predominantly in the Reserves.
• West – There is a spot in our league for a tall marking forward, however, key marking forwards take a lot longer to develop. I could see him playing a couple of League matches here and there but think he’d spend the majority of the time in the Reserves developing his craft.
• Delmenico – Similar to West, there is a spot in the league team for a key defender but I think he’s still a bit short to play this role and would also need to put on some size. Once more, he needs time to develop in the Reserves
• Herbert – we’ve already seen that he has played well at senior level but those games were mainly last year. Not quite sure what happened to his development this season – potentially the State U18 commitments and constantly moving back and forth between League and U18s probably didn’t help for continuity. However given his experience at League level and representative commitments out of the way he should be aiming to spend the entire season at League level.

Cook and Phillipou are the two others who potentially could play 1-2 games in the League side but I understand that they are still eligible for U18s next season so am going to assume they play 100% of their time at that grade.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:50 pm

I also note our CEO's comments about the U18 premiership that he sent out today as part of his weekly email -

"This victory is even more special , as 14 of the players were part of the U16s Grand Final team just two years ago".

So that 8 kids from the victorious U16s team who have disappeared from our system. I wonder what happened to them and why they aren't playing U18s this season? You'd have to think they had some talent so hoping the club keeps tabs on them.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:51 pm

Final comment - last Friday I was reading come commentary about the Western Bulldogs players who have not yet been offered a contract for next season. It was mentioned that Lachie McNeil is amongst them. I guess we will know the outcome in the next week or so when final delistings are lodged. If that happens I can't see any other AFL club picking him up.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheedsb2b Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:25 pm

McNeil signed a 2 year deal
Sheedsb2b
Sheedsb2b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheedsb2b Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:29 pm

Mitch Hardie made it in the team of the year for the VFL hopefully we could get him back same with Hayes and beekon
Sheedsb2b
Sheedsb2b

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:54 am

"Titan2" I think you will find that Rome Burgoyne will be selected as a father/son to the power.

Also, the eight kids might not have disappeared from our system but when they become eligible to play U18s there will be first year U18s remaining for their second year and they will most probably will be better than the eight that didn't form part of the premiership team.
I don't think the CEO suggested they weren't still in our system. The U18s most probably played 50 different players during the season.
The higher the level of football more drop off.
Also these kids might get games when college football is on, state commitments are being played and promotions occur, so they remain around but don't become part of the elite 22.

Last edited by wimpy on Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:02 am

Talking to one of the St Kilda recruiters on Sunday he said Jack Hayes wasn't part of their future plans but felt obliged to look after him so they were looking at trading him to another AFL club.
He is currently in the USA.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:34 am

wimpy wrote:"Titan2" I think you will find that Rome Burgoyne will be selected as a father/son to the power.

Also, the eight kids might not have disappeared from our system but when they become eligible to play U18s there will be first year U18s remaining for their second year and they will most probably will be better than the eight that didn't form part of the premiership team.
I don't think the CEO suggested they weren't still in our system. The U18s most probably played 50 different players during the season.
Also these kids might get games when college football is on, state commitments are being played and promotions occur, so they remain around but don't become part of the elite 22.

I might be wrong here didn’t Rome play some games for port this year or was that another of his family .
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:46 am

One might suspect that AFL Clubs might want assurance that Jack Hayes is durable after his injury -affected career. He might therefore prove himself with half a season with us before being taken in the midseason draft.
Not interested in 2026, 2025 the priority but will say it anyway - Jacob Wehr and Caleb Poulter will be uncontracted for 2026 and, from interviews, are both likely to return to the Eagles. (Caleb said on radio early this year that he had intended returning home in 2024 before getting a 2 year contract with Western Bulldogs).
But our thoughts focussed back on 2025!
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:59 am

Westies are very active already, recruiting two key players. I've got a feeling we were entertaining the 208cm Ruckman at one stage.
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:02 am

The Barton wrote:Westies are very active already, recruiting two key players. I've got a feeling we were entertaining the 208cm Ruckman at one stage.

I don't know if we have spoken to "the 208cm ruckman" going to Westies.

We have definitely spoken to Nathan Richards (a friend of Luke McKay) who plays for Griffith Swans. He is a big 200cm ruckman and played at least one game for the GWS reserves team as a top up player and did quite well (29 hit outs).
He was in Adelaide mid season to visit Luke and the club spoke to him. I don't know what has happened since.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Reddeer Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:39 pm

wimpy wrote:"Titan2" I think you will find that Rome Burgoyne will be selected as a father/son to the power.

51 players in the 2024 season for under 18s
The Eagles played centrals 3 times In April Eagles kicked 10 and lost, in June Eagles kicked 11 goals and lost but in the Grand Final Eagles kicked 12 goals and Won THE PREMIERSHIP TITLE You little beauties
Reddeer

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:43 pm

wimpy wrote:Talking to one of the St Kilda recruiters on Sunday he said Jack Hayes wasn't part of their future plans but felt obliged to look after him so they were looking at trading him to another AFL club.

The draft quality this year runs deep as I read so I suspect Jack may struggle to get a gong. Good on him if he does.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Wed Sep 18, 2024 2:32 pm

Goddsy11 wrote:
wimpy wrote:Talking to one of the St Kilda recruiters on Sunday he said Jack Hayes wasn't part of their future plans but felt obliged to look after him so they were looking at trading him to another AFL club.

The draft quality this year runs deep as I read so I suspect Jack may struggle to get a gong. Good on him if he does.

"Goddsy11" I agree that this years draft runs quite deep but the overwhelming type of players are midfielders, there is a dearth of tall talent.
A young NM team looking for wise heads could well do with a Jack Hayes. But, I would definitely like him back at the Eagles.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Yesterday at 8:02 pm

2025 Season The Preparation - Page 5 Screen45
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelScott Today at 10:00 am

Goddsy11 wrote:2025 Season The Preparation - Page 5 Screen45