And of course we lose be of our best players again 
Good luck Mitch Hardie
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Mid season draft  Empty Re: Mid season draft

Post by Reddeer Wed May 31, 2023 7:34 pm

I am so f***ing sick of the shit house compromised sanitised afl just pinching players from other comps just to prop up their vfl teams if Mitch actually gets a A grade game,(he sure deserves it) it would be a surprise but why mid season draft Isn't the numerous other drafts they have enough instead of destroying teams in other interstate comps. Just look at Tsatis and the way he has been mostly overlooked
Reddeer

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Wed May 31, 2023 7:40 pm

I see Caleb Poulter has gone to the Bulldogs.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed May 31, 2023 7:43 pm

goddy11 wrote:I see Caleb Poulter has gone to the Bulldogs.
missed that one
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Wed May 31, 2023 8:27 pm

The SANFL article says SANFL clubs are provided with $10,000 compensation for each player selected.

Does that $10k go to the Eagles or is it spread like the main draft compo?
That amount would barely cover recruiting him.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Reddeer Wed May 31, 2023 9:18 pm

With all the millions at their disposal if they want to recruit mid season they should be made to pay much higher than $10,000 (which goes into the pot for all clubs) The system stinks to high heaven As usual just looking after the over rated greedy sanitised melbourne controlled VFL incorrectly named as afl
Reddeer

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Wed May 31, 2023 9:49 pm

Good luck to him. Has worked very hard on his game and been excellent this year. Perhaps Beattie will move into the midfield to take his place?
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazz Wed May 31, 2023 9:55 pm

Good luck to Mitch but how many bites do these greedy twats want? End of season, pre season training
and the mid season. Absolute greed
Gazz
Gazz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:49 am

We somehow need to select players who are good enuff for the SANFL, but not for AFL.
Would there be any fringe AFL type players available at this time to replace Hardie? Isnt there a window until the end of the month to pick someone up?

I hope Hardie enjoys running around in the VFL. Just ask Williams.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:13 pm

whybother wrote:We somehow need to select players who are good enuff for the SANFL, but not for AFL.
Would there be any fringe AFL type players available at this time to replace Hardie? Isnt there a window until the end of the month to pick someone up?

Don't think we have the salary cap space.

Listening to Christine Williams on SEN yesterday she said "even though Mitch Hardie has departed, we still have to include his salary in the cap."
What a load of bollocks. With the $10,000 we get for Hardie we should be able to use this to try and get a replacement before the 30 June deadline.
Gee, the SANFL has some crap rules.
Also, Hardie only on a six month contract. Chew em up and spit em out.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:29 pm

wimpy wrote:
whybother wrote:We somehow need to select players who are good enuff for the SANFL, but not for AFL.

Don't think we have the salary cap space.

Listening to Christine Williams on SEN yesterday she said "even though Mitch Hardie has departed, we still have to include his salary in the cap."
What a load of bollocks. With the $10,000 we get for Hardie we should be able to use this to try and get a replacement before the 30 June deadline.
Gee, the SANFL has some crap rules.
Also, Hardie only on a six month contract. Chew em up and spit em out.

Thats terrible. What the SANFL should do is increase the compensation to about $50k. If a club seriously needs a player they would jump at it. Picking players just for the sake of t makes no sense. Maybe pay the recruited player more if its a short-term contract.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:17 am

After a bye last week Mitch Hardie was selected in Geelong's VFL side to play Frankston last night. Geelong welcomed back a host of AFL listed players including mid-season recruit Mitch Hardie. Hardie excelled in his debut, having 21 disposals, eight tackles and six clearances.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:13 am

So he is doing much the same sort of thing in VFL as here. Not sure about his AFL dream.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:16 am

whybother wrote:So he is doing much the same sort of thing in VFL as here. Not sure about his AFL dream.

Drafting him to play out the season in the VFL is ridiculous. Arguably the VFL is an inferior competition to the SANFL so it's not doing much to improve him.

But I don't begrudge the players chasing the dream and at his age you've got to go for it even if there is a tiny, tiny possibility that you might get selected.

What is clear is that the Eagles have been immediately adversely impacted by his departure. The SANFL can't do anything about it but surely they could at least allow the impacted team to bring in another player from outside their initial squad into the team if one was avaialble?

The one positive I can see from our club getting raided for the past 3 years is that it is giving the club - and Sheedy - fantastic publicity. At the end of the season if I was a young player with talent (or a delisted AFL player that still had the dream) and wanted to prove myself to AFL scouts by playing well in the SANFL then I'd definitely be signing with the club that seems to be in the cross-hairs of AFL scouts - I'm sure that the Eagles are pitching this to every prospective recruit.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:24 pm

The VFL comp may not improve him, but training and playing in the Geelong system is what it's all about.
If he can string 2 or 3 good ones together in the 2's or they get injuries or get to a point that the season is gone early he may get an opportunity.
Narkle played a couple of good games for Port Reserves and got a call up (granted he is 6 months off an AFL list so slightly different)

The last paragraph was actually something that came up the day Geelong did the Q & A at the club during gather round when Stephen Hocking was interviewed. Having players like Haysey, Zane, James and now Mitch get an opportunity from pre season and mid season drafts makes the club look very attractive for any players who are looking to either resurrect their AFL career, keep their dream of playing AFL alive or play at the highest level possible.

It sucks to lose them, but on the flip side it's great to see so many players that come through our club get an opportunity to fulfil their dreams.

Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:43 am

Sadly I dont want our club to become a development and feeder club to the AFL.

I WANT TO WIN PREMIERSHIPS, which taking our best players doesnt help.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:47 am

whybother wrote:Sadly I dont want our club to become a development and feeder club to the AFL.

For me it should be a two way relationship, when we want recruits they should help us out and push some our way or am I dreaming.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:57 pm

wimpy wrote:
whybother wrote:Sadly I dont want our club to become a development and feeder club to the AFL.

For me it should be a two way relationship, when we want recruits they should help us out and push some our way or am I dreaming.

Your not wrong but what gripes me is we identify these players, spent valuable time and resources, the AFL clubs get them for peanuts, and we get very little back from these multi rick clubs. We get no real opportunity to replace them mid-season.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:34 pm

Keep reading on Bigfooty Crow supporter wanting Tyler Welsh to play SANFL for them next season.
SANFL rule apparently say he can if he doesn't play any senior footy for us. Let's hope our club holds onto him.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:30 pm

goddy11 wrote:Keep reading on Bigfooty Crow supporter wanting Tyler Welsh to play SANFL for them next season.
SANFL rule apparently say he can if he doesn't play any senior footy for us. Let's hope our club holds onto him.

They can get stuffed, he's our player until he's drafted. I think they are allowed to play three games for the club they are F/S or NGA to, like Josh Burgoyne did with the magpies in his draft year and also Nathan Barkla (NGA) in his draft year.

I think you will find Welsh will be treated with kid gloves, he is a prized asset. The start of this season he trained with the Eagles senior squad and finally succumbed to stress fractures of the back. If he stays at the Eagles he has the option of playing league, reserves or U18s which involve different intensity levels that can be better monitored at the Eagles.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:19 pm

wimpy wrote:
goddy11 wrote:Keep reading on Bigfooty Crow supporter wanting Tyler Welsh to play SANFL for them next season.

They can get stuffed, he's our player until he's drafted. I think they are allowed to play three games for the club they are F/S or NGA to, like Josh Burgoyne did with the magpies in his draft year and also Nathan Barkla (NGA) in his draft year.

I think you will find Welsh will be treated with kid gloves, he is a prized asset. The start of this season he trained with the Eagles senior squad and finally succumbed to stress fractures of the back. If he stays at the Eagles he has the option of playing league, reserves or U18s which involve different intensity levels that can be better monitored at the Eagles.

I think clubs get compensated monitory wise for those 3 games. It only supporters talking and getting excited after his 5 goals last weekend. I think we will give him a senior game next year same as Luko and Mead in their draft years.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down