wimpy
Reddeer
Mickyj
Woody
11 posters

Go down

Mid Season Draft - Ballenden Empty Mid Season Draft - Ballenden

Post by Woody Tue May 24, 2022 3:12 pm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like Connor Ballenden maybe headed back to the AFL via the mid season draft. According to an article on the AFL website.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/767543/interest-ramping-up-for-ex-lion-ahead-of-mid-season-draft?ref=BP_RSS_afl-news_0_interest-ramping-up-for-ex-lion-ahead-of-mid-season-draft_230522
Woody
Woody

Back to top Go down

Mid Season Draft - Ballenden Empty Re: Mid Season Draft - Ballenden

Post by Mickyj Tue May 24, 2022 5:03 pm

Guess we will wait and see
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reddeer Wed May 25, 2022 3:54 pm

This mid season draft is the ultimate insult to other leagues in the country. All it does is kill of real clubs of having chance of success and prop up the vfl because that is where most of those grabbed finish up playing. Isnt it enough to have a draft at the end of the year. The addition of all these extra rapes of other leagues such as mid season and preseason and SSP are turning grass roots supports off the code completely. On top of that the SANFL is too fefing weak to stand up for itself and it real clubs and just looks after the afl intruders. No wonder 1200 people at a game is now a good crowd and rarely do they publish crowd numbers at afl games now because the turn ups are so poor
Reddeer

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Wed May 25, 2022 4:41 pm

Ballenden has nominated 18 months and a specific salary, seems to me there is a club very interested and have been advising him.
Also, I have seen on an AFL web site that Zane Williams has been included in the top 26 likely to be drafted mid season.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Wed May 25, 2022 6:54 pm

Do you think it’s more likely the AFL club has asked for those terms in order to scare off any other clubs with picks before them? Or is he on a good deal with the Eagles and only wants to go if getting looked after properly?
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Wed May 25, 2022 8:04 pm

Aerie wrote:Do you think it’s more likely the AFL club has asked for those terms in order to scare off any other clubs with picks before them? Or is he on a good deal with the Eagles and only wants to go if getting looked after properly?

I would have thought the former. But AFL clubs employ all kinds of different strategies and tricks to ensure they get their target.

I believe the club most interested in Ballenden in Hawthorn although the Herald Sun were running a story suggesting Collingwood are also likely to be interested.

Zane Williams has made huge improvements this year but I still would be shocked if a club took a punt on him.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:01 pm

Ballenden stays with Eagles. Zane Williams to Geelong.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:11 pm

wimpy wrote:Ballenden stays with Eagles. Zane Williams to Geelong.
Ill take that. Good on Zane but he still has a long way to go consistency wise. Ballenden staying is massive.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazz Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:18 pm

Agree Goddy- this will not affect team balance as much as Ballenden gone. We'll find a way. Good luck Zane. This mid season caper really takes the piss though
Gazz
Gazz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:20 pm

That’s a great result for us. Williams has been very good and has taken his chance this year. Good on him.

North and Glenelg each losing a key player helps too. Hopefully the Crows start tumbling down the ladder once the season starts taking a toll.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazz Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:34 pm

Have not noticed Tsitas name much. If we make it a good environment perhaps it will make us a club to return to if things dont go to plan. Probably not likely but a couple of seasons out of a fit Lowson would be gold

Gazz
Gazz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:36 pm

Excellent result for Eagles. We can cover the loss of Williams and expect him back in 6 months anyway - in a full Eagles team, Williams, Comitogianis, Hardie might have been battling out for 2 of the 3 small forward positions. But retaining Ballenden in a short Eagles team is priceless. Hopefully, the lad can put his disappointment aside and look to build his form to make the AFL recruiters have another look. After the GF !
Glenelg took a hit losing 2 v good players Turner, Durdin.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:45 pm

Ballenden is a great save for us. Williams is one of many in our team, Ballenden is unique. Now I must go and sacrifice that lamb in the corner to the Gods of Football. ( ps I hope that Ballenden isn't devastated by his lack of selection and subsequently "drops his bundle" as my Nan used to say)
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:01 pm

I was out only saw this when I checked my phone
Good luck to Williams
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawke Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:07 pm

Replying to "Gaz" (above), I'm unconvinced that Sam Lowson ever intended to return to the Eagles. On the other hand, I do believe Ben Jungfer when he was reported saying that he may return to the Eagles next year if things don't work out with his cattle station job in northern WA or possibly after 2 years away when (the article read) he was returning to set up a beef cattle property near Adelaide. Left at 21 years of age, 2 Premierships and plenty of talent and courage.
hawke
hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:28 pm

Gazz wrote:Have not noticed Tsitas name much. If we make it a good environment perhaps it will make us a club to return to if things dont go to plan. Probably not likely but a couple of seasons out of a fit Lowson would be gold

He's getting closer, was emergency for the game in Darwin on the weekend.
He had a concussion earlier in the season and also missed a couple of games for H&S Protocols.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down