Eagles Vs Adelaide Woodville Oval 20 May (Friday Night)

+6
Columbo
whybother
Mickyj
The Barton
Aerie
wimpy
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Eagles Vs Adelaide Woodville Oval 20 May (Friday Night) - Page 2 Empty Re: Eagles Vs Adelaide Woodville Oval 20 May (Friday Night)

Post by Mickyj Sun May 22, 2022 8:30 am

goddy11 wrote:Congrats to the U18's on their first win. Onwards and upwards.

I must’ve miss read the score I thought they’d lost oops
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Eagles Vs Adelaide Woodville Oval 20 May (Friday Night) - Page 2 Empty Re: Eagles Vs Adelaide Woodville Oval 20 May (Friday Night)

Post by Titan2 Sun May 22, 2022 10:41 am

hawke wrote:Last night's result confirms what many of us suspected -  the "3-peat" is beyond us.
For next year, in the Seconds, there are no big bodies coming through who are going to have an impact in 2023. We need to recruit at least another 2 "very" talls. As a throw-away, suggest we have a try for rookie listed Power (ex South Adelaide) Skinner if delisted. He was a teammate of Connor Ballenden ifor Brisbane.

I absolutely disagree with this.

The Crows were playing basically their strongest side possible - whether their AFL side remains injury free for the remainder of the season is a big 'if' and of course the ramifications of this will flow through to their SANFL side causing it to weaken.

Conversely, the Eagles side were 4-5 regulars down so we hopefully will get better. This also includes the two most critical players being Redden and Guilhaus.

And despite all that I thought the Eagles did a really good job and stayed with them for most of the match.

Our weakness was clearly in the ruck and probably lacking a key tall forward target (depending on where Ballenden was playing). Our lack of height isn't as much of an issue against other SANFL teams whose tall players mostly aren't dominant. But when you put Reilly O'Brien in an opposition side who knows where to position himself to mark the scrambled kick forward and can also take a contested mark then we run into issues. Not surprising that he absolutely dominated. I'm sure the players will learn their lesson of what not to do if we come up against them with him in the team in the future.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sun May 22, 2022 11:07 am

Titan2 wrote:
hawke wrote:Last night's result confirms what many of us suspected -  the "3-peat" is beyond us.
For next year, in the Seconds, there are no big bodies coming through who are going to have an impact in 2023. We need to recruit at least another 2 "very" talls. As a throw-away, suggest we have a try for rookie listed Power (ex South Adelaide) Skinner if delisted. He was a teammate of Connor Ballenden ifor Brisbane.

The Crows were playing basically their strongest side possible - whether their AFL side remains injury free for the remainder of the season is a big 'if' and of course the ramifications of this will flow through to their SANFL side causing it to weaken.

Conversely, the Eagles side were 4-5 regulars down so we hopefully will get better. This also includes the two most critical players being Redden and Guilhaus.

And despite all that I thought the Eagles did a really good job and stayed with them for most of the match.

Our weakness was clearly in the ruck and probably lacking a key tall forward target (depending on where Ballenden was playing). Our lack of height isn't as much of an issue against other SANFL teams whose tall players mostly aren't dominant. But when you put Reilly O'Brien in an opposition side who knows where to position himself to mark the scrambled kick forward and can also take a contested mark then we run into issues. Not surprising that he absolutely dominated. I'm sure the players will learn their lesson of what not to do if we come up against them with him in the team in the future.

I agree with you "Titan2". It was soul destroying watching highly paid professionals destroy blue collar part time players. Where our players had to go and work for eight hours then have a short prep. time before the game the pros have all day to prepare, our players didn't even get to have a Saturday morning sleep in. Although we have yet to play our best balanced team this year, and that took a hit with Guilhaus going down again, I am confident our coach will be innovative and come up with a plan and motivation strategy. He has constantly defied the odds and produced remarkable results. As you said "Titan2" other true SANFL clubs are not loaded with top end talent like the Crows were. If this team is not the one to take us to a threepeat I'm sure the coach will be looking extensively at what we need for next season. I'm hopeful that with so many Eagles being drafted a few will be delisted and drift back . Keep the faith we only have to make the five to have a chance at winning it all again.

Last edited by wimpy on Mon May 23, 2022 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sun May 22, 2022 11:37 am

wimpy wrote:
Titan2 wrote:

I agree with you "Titan2". It was soul destroying watching highly paid professionals destroy blue collar part time players. Where our players had to go and work for eight hours then have a short prep. time before the game the pros have all day to prepare, our players didn't even get to have a Saturday morning sleep in. Although we have yet to play our best balanced team this year, and that took a hit with Guilhaus going down again, I am confident our coach will be innovative and come up with a plan. He has constantly defied the odds and produced remarkable results. As you said "Titan2" other true SANFL clubs are not loaded with top end talent like the Crows were. If this team is not the one to take us to a threepeat I'm sure the coach will be looking extensively at what we need for next season. I'm hopeful that with so many Eagles being drafted a few will be delisted and drift back . Keep the faith we only have to make the five to have a chance at winning it all again.    

Whatever happens we are clearly a couple of tall key position players short -both established and developing. It's been a bit unfortunate to have lost Cooper Sharman and Jack Hayes across the last two years but as things stand our league and reserves are completely devoid of players around the 195cm mark. One would imagine that Thompson will retire at the end of the season (along with Redden and possibly Guilhaus) so this is going to be problematic. Even Lehmann is probably a bit undersized to be our key defender.

The club isn't blind and would be well aware of the issue and that there is nothing coming through. I'd like to see them target a ready made key forward/defender and a ruck as our priority. Then perhaps two more tall kids who might be considered project players.

Lukas Cooke has had some nice moments in the reserves but I assume would still be at least another 12 months away from a league spot. I still have high hopes for Lukac though his performances at reserves levels have so far been lacklustre.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Barton Mon May 23, 2022 11:13 am

[quote="hawke"]Last night's result confirms what many of us suspected -  the "3-peat" is beyond us.

Hawke - you are The Prophet of Doom.
Keep the faith ffs
The Barton
The Barton

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon May 23, 2022 2:32 pm

Seb injured Friday night by the look of it? Good tosee a few ready to come back in the league team.

Injuries From Previous Match
PLAYER NAME NATURE OF INJURY TIME EXPECTED OFF
Seb Guilhaus Calf TBC

Long Term Injury Process
PLAYER NAME NATURE OF INJURY TIME EXPECTED OFF
Jarrad Redden Hip Test
Clay Cameron Hamstring Test
Jesse Lonergan Shoulder Test
Jimmy Toumpas Calf Test
Tyran Hill Hamstring Test
Mitchell Mead H/S Protocols Test
Zac Phillips H/S Protocols Test
Aron Asfaha Knee Indefinite
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2