SANFLfan
zest
Mickyj
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Eagles V the dogs - Page 2 Empty Re: Eagles V the dogs

Post by Mickyj Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:42 am

Zest forgot to mention Ben English bagged 2 goals for the Eagles.
I think a lot of the Eagles "seconds" guys played better than the "league" players.But some were clearly out of their depths when playing against Centrals league players.
And 1 player we all forgot about was young Duane Schulz .His return from a serious knee injury in 09 was a fantastic sign .
Thanks for the write up Phil.
Once again was nice to chat with "our"2 phils last night.
Sounds like a radio or tv show "our 2 Phils "
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:14 pm

Big Phil wrote:FINAL SCORES:

Central: 2.2 4.3 6.7 9.11 12.14 15.14 = 104

Eagles: 2.1 4.2 6.2 8.4 9.10 9.11 = 65

Result: Central by 39 points

GOAL KICKERS:

Central: I.Callinan 2.1, R.Williams, A.Fry 2.0, E.Sansbury, M.Frail, J.Wittwer 1.2, K.Jenner, M.Westhoff 1.1, T.Goodrem, J.Mackenzie, M.White 1.0, J.Nash, J.Hannath, J.Schiller, D.Koler 0.1, Rushed 0.1

Eagles: S.Hill 3.1, G.Dawson, B.English 2.0, D.Symmons, J.Redden 1.0, M.Goldsworthy 0.2, B.Geddes, A.Grocke, L.Staple, T.Corbett, S.Lewis, Rushed 0.3

BETTER PLAYERS: (in team sheet numeric order)

Central: I.Callinan, J.Hardy, J.Nash, J.Mackenzie, P.Thomas, A.Hayes, R.Williams, A.Fry, J.Wittwer

Eagles: L.Treeby, L.Powell, L.Jarrad, M.Broadbent, T.Corbett, M.Goldsworthy, S.Hill

The first 2 quarters there were a lot of young guys from both sides with Central basically playing their reserves side (excluding maybe Ash Duncan and Chris Gowans) then the 'league' team played the last 4 quarters. The Eagles mixed it uo a little more with mostly younger guys early on then through the 3rd quarter a few fringe players were given there opportunity then their stronger side for the last 3 quarters basically. For a early season game, the skills were quite good, particularly when the 'league' players came on.

For the Dogs, they got off to a pretty good start when their league side came out with Ryan Williams and Ian Callinan getting plenty of the ball through the middle and dangerous up forward. Trent Goodrem had a good start early to his game before being rested a bit through the latter stages of the contest. Skipper Paul Thomas privided great run and drive both from haf back and through the midfield while Jay nash played across the half back line all night and was pretty impressive, just needs to work on his disposal by foot a bit more.

Promising string bean Mitch Frail and pwer listed Matt Westhoff were the Dogs main targets in attack and worked well together at varying times throughout the night. Eddie Sansbury had his usual flashy moments and young Indigenous lad Josh Wittwer was very impressive as a crumbing forward and later on the ball in Matthew Slade's old number 59 jumper. Buckets Mackenzie was Buckets and did well in ruck and as a key forward while Jack Hannath and Tasmanian recruit Cameron Milne had their moments. Milne still needs to work on his dispoal but has good athleticism.

Justin Hardy looks as though he is ready to step up and make the key defensive position his own with the recent unexpected retirement of veteran Yves Sibenaler. He was impressive with his reading of the play, run from defence and has a very solid spoiling action, much like Evil did. Andrew Hayes was his usual couragous self, backing into packs, taking spectacular pack marks and cutting off opposition passes into their forward line. Young Josh Vater also did a couple of nice things in the back half playing in his first league trial game.

Brayden O'Hara copped a massive knock to the head in the opening 20 seconds of the game and may have had slight concussion so didn't come back while Adam Switala played about a quarter before coming off with either an injury or just to be rested. Ryan Williams also seemed to slighty hurt a knee late in the game but seemed okay. Others to impress at various stages were Luke Habel, Corey Reichert and Nick White while Tom Dunne and Leigh Westhoff, both playing in defence, had plenty of the ball but both let themselves with poor skills or decision making at times.

Although the decision making let many players down (to be expected at this time of the year) the Doggies impressed with their hard attack on the ball and body with their tackling impressive tonight, although with the poor lighting at Thebby for the last 2 quarters, it was hard to see much at all !! Matthew Westhoff provided the laugh of the night taking a mark running back towards the goal line with the ball flight over his head. Thinking to quickly play on and dribble the ball through for a goal, he didn't realise he was actually in between the goal and point posts and kicked it through for a behind !!

For the Eagles, I was impressed by the work rate and finishing off skills of Stuart Hill who played up forward again after playing in defence against the Panthers last week. Seb Gilhaus had his moments in ruck and worked well in drifting back into defence at times but the Eagles skilll level and decision making seemed to have dropped a cog from the week before against the Panthers. Matthew Goldsworthy had some good moments on the ball and crumbing around goal but just couldn't finish in front of the big sticks.

Luke Jarrad and Leigh Treeby were good across the half back line and on the ball respectively while Power listed Matthew Broadbent showed he has lifted his game to a level above SANFL. The Eagles certainly seemed to miss the presence of Scott Welsh up forward as a second foil to Hill while Adam Grocke didn't have much of an impact. Poor delivery from Mick Godden's midfield brigade didn't help the forwards though while at times the defence was caught out pushing forward after a turnover in the middle of the ground.

Probable skipper Mark mackenzie played his first game for the year and looked a little underdone and will no doubt be better for the run next week. Tom Corbett was his usual couragous self and was crunched one again by a pack like last week at Noarlunga while Power rookie Glenn Dawson managed two impressive goals, one a clever snap goal. A fair bit of improvement needed from the Eagles I think in the skills department, a lot of unneccesary turnovers that would have frustrated new coach Mick Godden no doubt.

Also, as a result of the Doggies win, I am pleased to announce Phil Herden will now be a proud member of the CDFC !!!

Big Phil feel free to continue to do great write ups on Eagles games in this forum.I know u do them on all games that you attend .you like many of us are addicted to the SANFL.
And if you keep doing them saves the people trying to read what I write Very Happy
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wedgetail Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:56 pm

I thought our skill level was down on Friday, way too many errors and as usual, CD capitalised and kicked goals.
wedgetail
wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by carrots12 Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:30 pm

Micky, you've made some really good points. I don't think Godden showed all of his tricks on Friday night. From what I could see, there were many more changes / rotations in the game v South than this one against the Dogs? Do you agree?
carrots12
carrots12

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:24 am

carrots12 wrote:Micky, you've made some really good points. I don't think Godden showed all of his tricks on Friday night. From what I could see, there were many more changes / rotations in the game v South than this one against the Dogs? Do you agree?

yep I do agree.
And I think some of the "better" players were injured pre game like Cica.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2