Columbo
Premiers
MightyEagles
spell_check
Eagle014
Mickyj
12 posters

Go down

Eagles beat the DOGS!!!!!!!!!! Empty Eagles beat the DOGS!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Mickyj Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:48 pm

We beat the dogs !!!!!
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Eagles beat the DOGS!!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: Eagles beat the DOGS!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Eagle014 Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:47 pm

Mickyj wrote:We beat the dogs !!!!!

We certainly did Mickyj what a wonderful afternoon we had & we did it all ourselves with no help from you know who.
Best players from presentation tonight:-
Reserves
1st - Lane
2nd - Corbett
3rd - Hoban
4th - Biglands
Special mention to Wright & Davoren

League
1st - Parry
2nd - Jarrad
3rd - Giuffreda
4th - Grieger
MVP Rowntree

Eagle014
Eagle014

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:18 pm

Eagle014 wrote:
Mickyj wrote:We beat the dogs !!!!!

We certainly did Mickyj what a wonderful afternoon we had & we did it all ourselves with no help from you know who.
Best players from presentation tonight:-
Reserves
1st - Lane
2nd - Corbett
3rd - Hoban
4th - Biglands
Special mention to Wright & Davoren

League
1st - Parry
2nd - Jarrad
3rd - Giuffreda
4th - Grieger
MVP Rowntree

I'm still in shock I can not believe we handled the dogs so easily .
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:49 pm

I'm cynical, Mickyj. It was their annual "ramped up" training regime they do at this time of the year that did it. But, more importanly, our intensity is something to be proud of today. If we could get our skills a bit better, and get Salter and Welsh back for the finals, we will be no pushover.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:56 am

I wouldn't mind asking PhilH about this (or Col, Columbo for that matter); the crowd figure given as 2,145.

I'm usually a good judge of the crowd at Woodville, and I estimated there was about 2,600-2,700 there today. That based on how well populated the south western corner was, and the east/south east section was.

What do you guys think?
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:34 am

spell_check wrote:I wouldn't mind asking PhilH about this (or Col, Columbo for that matter); the crowd figure given as 2,145.

I'm usually a good judge of the crowd at Woodville, and I estimated there was about 2,600-2,700 there today. That based on how well populated the south western corner was, and the east/south east section was.

What do you guys think?

one of the few weeks I didn't pay that much attention to the size of the crowd .But I would say your correct Spelly.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:54 am

spell_check wrote:I'm cynical, Mickyj. It was their annual "ramped up" training regime they do at this time of the year that did it. But, more importanly, our intensity is something to be proud of today. If we could get our skills a bit better, and get Salter and Welsh back for the finals, we will be no pushover.

Ok Ok Spelly lets be very very truthful (said in an elmer fudd voice here).I scoffed at Zest and looked amazed at Columbo when both said we could win yesterday .I thought we would be the same as the week before hang in for 3 quarters then fall away.I even said to Zest on the way in if we win I'd jump up and down and go YIPPEEE!!!! Thankfully we won and we both forgot me jumping up and down until we were watching the replay on IQ.Doesn't do much for the tipping comp!!
I think again you correct about the "ramped up" training.But what did Centrals have to win nothing .They went in undermanned Eagles went in undermanned .Eagles took in Youth and 2 players on AFL lists.1 it could be said was playing for that AFL life.
Centrals had 1 ruckman we took 3 ruckmen hence a big advantage .There was only 1 Gowans out there a huge advantage to the Eagles.Mind u the umpires were in love with him.
As Zest said to me we are trying to play that Gays oops Bays/AFL running style game.Last week we were trying to out play the team that plays that style .This week were up against the Dogs .while we didn't purely play that running style we did most of the day stifle the Dogs in the packs .When we didn't or couldn't they scored goals.They amazed me and I'm not sure why even with that strange breeze they "flooded" or moved players forward to block up our forward line.personally I think without Welsh the Dogs became too Grocke conscious.
I don't want to name Eagles players that had a bad day at the office but a couple up forward did!!
Positives
1 Redden he has to be played the rest of the year in the league.
2 Leighton McMahon that kick in the third term that ended in a grocke goal a cool head
3 Polec he saved us at times .
4 Parry what a buy
5 Lewis same as Parry.
Season defining moments
1 McMahons kick that resulted in that goal
2 Luke Jarrads goal on the run from 50 in the 4th.That suddenly has woken the club .

Rambling on here sorry
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MightyEagles Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:27 am

U18s at a waterlogged Elizabeth Oval

Eagles 3.7 4.13 7.20 14.20
Central 0.1 1.1 1.2 5.3.33
MightyEagles
MightyEagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Good win to the Eagles but Centrals looked flat as a tack: remember we beat them late in the season for the last 2 years when they were going through their heavy training period - yes we can look forward to adding Salter, Broadbent, Powell and Welsh but they had a few out plus their eligible AFL contingent Griffen, Henderson, Westhoff (I think). Still, we can only do the job asked that's presented and the Eagles intensity did it very well despite lack of skills which will cost us next time.
Aaron Day is frustrating - 10 possessions in the 1st Q, then 3 for the rest of the game. Very poor defensive action (despite grabbing one guy for holding-the-ball in the 1st Q), doesn't chase with any conviction and poor closing speed, does nothing below knee level - needs to get angry!! A little dose of Grocke into him would be good medicine.
Question: of all our forwards (who played yesterday), who would you trust to kick a goal from 35 metres dead in front ? Answer: Treeby only which is pretty poor when we continually burn our chances.
Geddes was our most improved player this season before getting injured, Guifreda replaced him and now is also in that category.
Best game that Redden has played for the club and needs to follow that up this week to hold his place. May be important if Miles has to fill CHB in Hentschell's absence. Another 2 games may see Biglands cherry ripe instead.
Well done Eagles
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:14 pm

Mickyj wrote:
spell_check wrote:I'm cynical, Mickyj. It was their annual "ramped up" training regime they do at this time of the year that did it. But, more importanly, our intensity is something to be proud of today. If we could get our skills a bit better, and get Salter and Welsh back for the finals, we will be no pushover.

Ok Ok Spelly lets be very very truthful (said in an elmer fudd voice here).I scoffed at Zest and looked amazed at Columbo when both said we could win yesterday .I thought we would be the same as the week before hang in for 3 quarters then fall away.I even said to Zest on the way in if we win I'd jump up and down and go YIPPEEE!!!! Thankfully we won and we both forgot me jumping up and down until we were watching the replay on IQ.Doesn't do much for the tipping comp!!
I think again you correct about the "ramped up" training.But what did Centrals have to win nothing .They went in undermanned Eagles went in undermanned .Eagles took in Youth and 2 players on AFL lists.1 it could be said was playing for that AFL life.
Centrals had 1 ruckman we took 3 ruckmen hence a big advantage .There was only 1 Gowans out there a huge advantage to the Eagles.Mind u the umpires were in love with him.
As Zest said to me we are trying to play that Gays oops Bays/AFL running style game.Last week we were trying to out play the team that plays that style .This week were up against the Dogs .while we didn't purely play that running style we did most of the day stifle the Dogs in the packs .When we didn't or couldn't they scored goals.They amazed me and I'm not sure why even with that strange breeze they "flooded" or moved players forward to block up our forward line.personally I think without Welsh the Dogs became too Grocke conscious.
I don't want to name Eagles players that had a bad day at the office but a couple up forward did!!
Positives
2 Leighton McMahon that kick in the third term that ended in a grocke goal a cool head
4 Parry what a buy
5 Lewis same as Parry.
Season defining moments
2 Luke Jarrads goal on the run from 50 in the 4th.That suddenly has woken the club .

Rambling on here sorry

Always a chance Mick....always a chance!!!

and to your list above add the following

6. Greiger same as Lewis! The new Steve Hall...just gets the job done.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:39 pm

Columbo wrote:
Mickyj wrote:

Positives
4 Parry what a buy
5 Lewis same as Parry.
Season defining moments

Rambling on here sorry

Always a chance Mick....always a chance!!!

and to your list above add the following

6. Greiger same as Lewis! The new Steve Hall...just gets the job done.

Spot on with Greiger.We both have forgotten Paddy he held that medal favorite from the dogs in the first quarter
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:42 pm

Pat has been great also this season, great story to be able to come back after so long.

As for the crowd Spelly....I thought maybe 2500 ish, looked to build up a fair bit between the end of the 2's and start of the league.

Now i've mentioned the two's congrats to Jarrod Harding on his first game in the ressies yesterday, kicked to great running goals and used the ball well, the GWS folk would be very impressed with what they saw I think.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Noticeable how the forms of McKenzie and Parry have been steadily improving from 5 weeks back and both are having big influences - "spiking" for the Finals.
Some posting on safooty.net suggesting that Todd Miles might miss out in the finals if we have a full team available - Godden said after dropping him (and we lost without him) and then re-instating him, that it was unlikely that Todd would be dropped again as he puts in a workman-like result whether working forward, back or in ruck. Has developed a big "clunk" mark, has surprising speed when playing a set position which you don't see when he's rucking because he's stuffed. Gives 100% effort which excuses his lack of polish and, he even has a little of the "X factor". Think Redden would be dropped before Miles.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by zest Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:28 pm

Premiers wrote:Noticeable how the forms of McKenzie and Parry have been steadily improving from 5 weeks back and both are having big influences - "spiking" for the Finals.
Some posting on safooty.net suggesting that Todd Miles might miss out in the finals if we have a full team available - Godden said after dropping him (and we lost without him) and then re-instating him, that it was unlikely that Todd would be dropped again as he puts in a workman-like result whether working forward, back or in ruck. Has developed a big "clunk" mark, has surprising speed when playing a set position which you don't see when he's rucking because he's stuffed. Gives 100% effort which excuses his lack of polish and, he even has a little of the "X factor". Think Redden would be dropped before Miles.

i would have redden over miles as a forward but in all other positions i would have miles just depends on the need. Plus i would drop day before either of them
zest
zest
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Col D Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:42 pm

I thought crowd was around 2500 and thought was pretty good given possible weather predictions.
Col D
Col D

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:48 pm

I wouldn't mind asking PhilH about this (or Col, Columbo for that matter); the crowd figure given as 2,145.

What do you guys think?

Must confess the crowd figure was the most disapointing part of an otherwise excellent day.

Hard to believe it was less than what we got for the South game.

My prediction looking around was about 2,400 given there was no U18 game earlier in the day (usually adds 150 or so we dont see at league time)

Normally quiet areas like South West Corner and outer wing were well populated, past players tent had a few as well

But upstairs clubroom and grandstands were more vacant given good weather.

In planning I had hoped for much higher, Live TV coverage always hurts, weather was great at game time but poor early in the morning.

Maybe it was the election taking out a lot of people who worked on the day. Can't remember the last winter election we have had so dont have much to go on except Glenelg only got 2,500 to their game v South.

The Kids Day promotion to schools & clubs brought in approx 250-300 people, would have been a woeful turnout without it.

Last two weeks the home crowds have taken a hit but we are still 6% up on last year with a big last match on Sun Sept 5th v Sturt. Hopefully good weather, no TV, no AFL, plus lots to play for will see 3K plus turning up.
PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:59 pm

I was hoping you'd ask for a recount or something, because I'm sure something is amiss. Not that it's likely to do anything, however. Wink
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:50 pm

Would love a recount if it led to a higher figure but can't see a change resulting.

Actually would like a general breakdown of what our figures are made up of ... ie adults / kids, which gates they come through.

Instead focussing now on how we get some extra's along to the final home game in 2 weeks v Sturt.
PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaitlyn51 Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:52 pm

did anyone else hear Cica coughing at 1/4, 3/4 time or when he came on to the bench?? it was more like a bark Sad he also looked like he was struggling to breath at one stage Sad i hope is ok next week
Kaitlyn51
Kaitlyn51

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:34 pm

Kaitlyn51 wrote:did anyone else hear Cica coughing at 1/4, 3/4 time or when he came on to the bench?? it was more like a bark Sad he also looked like he was struggling to breath at one stage Sad i hope is ok next week

No I didn't know that Kaitlyn .Being a pro fisher I'm sure he'd be ok Very Happy
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:03 pm

Eagles vs Central District – Saturday 21st August 2010

Michael Godden – Senior Coach Report

The first thing I would like to say it was very pleasing to finally have a win against a side above us; it’s been a long time coming. With this win it will give the group a lot of belief over the coming weeks.

I felt that we controlled most of the game, but to Centrals credit we really had to fight hard all day to come away in front. I say we controlled the game because of the inside 50 stats which showed us with 60 to 31, which is fantastic because we won enough 50/50 footy but our conversion rate for that many times forward was poor and something that we need to continue to work hard on.

One other pleasing point was the evenness of the group, there didn’t seem to be anyone really outstanding while there wasn’t anyone who was really disappointing. One key area on the ground was our backline who stood up very well again and only conceded 51 points, so there needs to be credit given to that group along with all the players from keeping the pressure on the opposition all the way up the ground. One obvious stat which shows pressure and dedication is tackling, so it was very pleasing to see that up around 75, when our season average is only 55, so that tells me just through hard work we gave ourselves 20 more opportunities to turn the ball over.

What this win does is give us a pulse in terms of keeping in touch with the top 3, which up until the weekend was really getting away from us. But as any coach would say it means nothing unless we bring the same intensity to Sunday’s game against North at Prospect and put a solid 4 quarters together.

Craig Smith – Reserves Coach Report

Saturday turned out to be an excellent day for the Club. Of course Central Districts always provide a considerable challenge for the league team, but their Reserves have been playing some very good football recently and defeated Port Adelaide last week. So for our Reserves the game provided a considerable challenge also.

As is the nature of Reserves football we had to make several changes at the selection table and this provided the opportunity to give some younger players valuable exposure to senior football. It is always exciting to see what can happen when you give young players an opportunity and this proved to be one of the major positives of the weekend. What was also pleasing about the performance on Saturday was that the players who were already in the team were able to take on the added responsibility.

From the first bounce we controlled the game and by quarter time we were in front by 23 points. To kick 7 goals straight was an excellent performance and this was achieved by receiving good drive from defense and our forwards were providing good targets and taking their chances in front of goal. The intensity and work rate continued in the second quarter and this meant that we went into half time 28 points in front. It has been very encouraging in the last two weeks to see the even contributions from everyone, as well as the consistent performance for the entire four quarters. This was true on Saturday and our second half dominance meant that we eventually ran out winners by 75 points.

While player development is the primary focus for the Reserves it is exciting to know that we are now assured of playing finals football. This will be another step down the path of development for our young group as well as providing support in depth for the league during their finals campaign. We will continue to focus on all round team performances and individual improvement and this development will undoubtedly be accelerated by valuable finals experience.

This is an exciting time of the year for the Club with all three teams preparing for finals football. We are all looking forward to each and every training session and game and I hope our fans will get on board too as we travel to Prospect this week to take on North Adelaide.

Terry Hutton – Under 18’s Coach Report

The Eagles started determinedly with plenty of ball possessions. Growden immediately into attack, Batley streaming through centre, Poole in and under the contest, picking up possessions at will, setting up team plays. Heinjus at CHF lead and marked strongly. Such was the pressure and tackling that Centrals failed to get a ball past their CHF for more than 20 minutes. Sutcliffe, Poole and Heinjus rattled on 3 goals but some easy shots were missed.

In the second quarter the pace of the game slowed down as more scrimmages occurred and often players found difficulty keeping their feet, often slipping over. The kicking became erratic as only one goal was scored by each side. The Eagles scored 6 points which allowed the Central side to rebound strongly, to carry the ball down the field with accurate foot passes. The Eagles failed to be accountable as often they failed to closely check their opponents. Luke Dunstan was back to his best, reading the flow of play and kicking to advantage.

Unfortunately Hooper suffered a wrenched knee injury which kept him off for the remainder of the match.

The 3rd quarter saw renewed effort with Farrelly in his first game taking sound marks and passing the ball to a leading player. He was very good in Ruck till fitness caught up with him. Another new player Nykamp played strongly on the back line, meeting the ball on all occasions and tackling effectively. Appleton rebounded with some strong long kicks down the line. He was well supported by Mansell in the back pocket who remains cool and calm under pressure. Such was the dominance of the Eagles that Cunningham was attacking the ball on the wing and driving it forward several times.

The 4th quarter saw the Eagles start to be more accurate in front of goals as well as kicking to a forward lead. Heinjus came strongly back into the game kicking 3 goals from strong leads and accurate passes. Unfortunately the Eagles allowed Centrals to carry the ball and to score easily. Sutcliffe continued to win plenty of the ball and was one of the best. Cunningham was shifted to CHF where he took strong grabs and scored his 2nd goal of the match
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaitlyn51 Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:01 pm

Mickyj wrote:
Kaitlyn51 wrote:did anyone else hear Cica coughing at 1/4, 3/4 time or when he came on to the bench?? it was more like a bark Sad he also looked like he was struggling to breath at one stage Sad i hope is ok next week

No I didn't know that Kaitlyn .Being a pro fisher I'm sure he'd be ok Very Happy

yeah hes tough lets hope he is back to normal this week and no more barking Smile
Kaitlyn51
Kaitlyn51

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagleonly Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:14 pm

I wouldnt worry about him Kaitlyn51 reckon he's had a lot more injuries than a bark! Maybe he was just doing a Doggy Bark for those Centrals Supporters!
Eagleonly
Eagleonly

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:21 pm

Don't lets be fooled by this alleged tough training block that Centrals are going through or have just completed. The Eagles have had a tough training regime all year as shown by our ability to run out games well this year. During our recent three week break without a game, coach Godden flogged the players in the fashion of pre-season training, its not only Centrals that puts in blocks of super hard training.
I believe Griffen and Henderson won't be available for finals due to medical reasons.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down