Hareeba
Peter69
EagleRock
10 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Possible Ins For 2016 - Page 4 Empty Re: Possible Ins For 2016

Post by Goddsy11 Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:00 pm

Premiers wrote:Sturt Vs Eagles trial last night.
Scores don't matter  (about 10 goals each).
Both Sturt and Eagles senior players the first half. Sturt's ball movement, both presenting and kicking skills were far superior and they looked sharper. Second half the Eagles 2nd tier players dominated.

Veteran Luke Jarrad clearly our best with James Boyd also very good. There was a strongly built 191cm forward (number  37)  who could be OK. Wundke and Ainger didn't play.
Backline key position players looked new - no Templeton, no Rakaiwasa, no Von Bertouch and Luke Thompson played up forward. Backline did OK (Jake Summerton)
Ainger (on the sidelines) looks to have put on 7kg from last season and hopefully it's muscle!
Was looking for a standout performance from O'Brien and if he was No18 (no footy budget/names available)  his form was poor ... but early days.
Redden played full forward 1st Q (didn't do much there) but had a better 2nd Q in the ruck and also kicked a long goal). Bornholm bored in hard as usual. Realise how bereft of ruckman Eagles are when nobody (bar Ainger) looked to be within 8cm of Redden's height. Redden certainly very important to the Eagles chances this year.
However Sturt did dominate at ground level out of the centre in the first half with Boyd being our only A class contributor there. Couldn't identify new recruit Giles.
With 7 weeks before the season, good hitout to know where we're at and you would hope that the same personel will be playing much better footy then

Thanks for the summary. I did not realize the game was on. I am reading you were not to impressed at our first up hit-out . Were there any new players that stood out? When and where is our next game?
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:32 pm

You didn't realise the trial was on because it wasn't part of the SANFL programmed trials which begin 3 weeks before the opening game. This was a match organised by the clubs themselves, hence no advertising, no programs. I only knew because I went out to Thebbie during the week to watch them train and overheard the players talking about it, then phoned the Club to confirm where/when the trial was on. Therefore, no knowledge of whether the Eagles are going to have another unofficial trial before the official trial program commences - you will have to check with the Club.
Eagles are currently training Mon Wed Fri from 5.30pm at Thebarton Oval for those interested in going for a look.
In answer to your question re new players, most of the players only played half a game and the second tier players were hard to identify without a program. I was hoping youngsters key forward Jack Hayes and onballer Comitogiannis would be playing but couldn't see them there. A very big plus was the good form of James Boyd who appeared to be running freely and he is almost a new recruit considering he played only a handful of injury restricted games for the Eagles last year.
It's only a trial and 7 weeks out but (except for Boyd), we struggled to get the ball cleanly out of the centre whereas Sturt's centre clearances were so clean, they looked like "set plays" so we've got some work to do.

Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hareeba Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:51 am

I had a look at the trial Friday night, Sturt opened up well but I thought we looked better after quarter time.
Our depth looked pretty good but it is very early days.
New recruit Giles...I think you will find he will miss most of the year with his lingering foot issue.
Scott Lewis also struggling big time with OP so he will need to be covered by our recruits / juniors.
Hareeba
Hareeba

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:07 pm

Interesting that the Eagles signed Giles with his chronic foot problems instead of a fit H/F midfielder Matt McDonough.
Was there a big difference in the signing on price?
Is Giles at 196cm, mobile, can play either end of ground (If he plays at all), looked on as being a "boom recruit" and better choice in the long term?
Wish the lad every success in a speedy recovery.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mara32 Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:04 pm

Massive price difference from what I've been told... Eagles wanted McDonough and McMahon, but both wanted too much money.
McMahon not worth it for the limited playing future he has left - McDonough would've been nice, but I guess time will tell if it was an investment worth working out.
Mara32
Mara32

Back to top Go down

Post by Hareeba Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:52 pm

I believe we had our eye on OBRIEN for some time and he was the priority signing hence McDonough could not fit in.
McMahon would have been nice but we could not fit him in either plus 10 years in the AFL system you have plenty of wear and tear.
Giles was a risk but if we get him right will fit in either end of the ground nicely.
Hareeba
Hareeba

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:28 pm

If the report is true from other website, clearances have gone through to Centrals for  Templeton and Kyle Broadwood. Watched Kyle Broadwood play a few x in the U18s as a 192cm defender with run and good skills. Think he may have come to us via Magpies Salisbury area (? whether he was overlooked by the Eagles for the Senior squad and decided to play closer to home). At any rate, Centrals recruitment has generally been very shrewd over the years so I'm uneasy about losing these two.

Is Rakaiwasa still at the Eagles? Didn't see him at the last trial. Now with Templeton gone, don't want to lose another experienced backman. Godden has mentioned that  Jake Summerton could push for regular selection this year

From left field, has anyone up-to-date information of how Josh Growden is going in relation to his pursuit of his American Football dream?
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:47 am

I rated Rakaiwasa, don't know why he fell out of the team last year. Does anyne know the new players and numbers at the club. The Eagles website still is in 2015 mode in regard players numbers.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Hareeba Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:03 pm

Raka played in the first trial against sturt. In the absence of our key forwards he went ok deep in the forward line. I presume he is onboard, rate him as a player and he did not do a lot wrong last year.
Hareeba
Hareeba

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:59 am

Hareeba wrote:Raka played in the first trial against sturt. In the absence of our key forwards he went ok deep in the forward line. I presume he is onboard, rate him as a player  and he did not do a lot wrong last year.

I guess we will find out a bit more next saturday
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:14 am

Have we given away a good one?
As "feared", Kyle Broadwood, Eagles U18 last year, who was recently cleared to Centrals is playing in their League Trial tomorrow - a huge advancement in his footy status from last year. Still, there may have been circumstances beyond the Eagles control for his departure.
Tim Sumner also lines up for Glenelg tomorrow. Like McDonough,was that a money issue as well?
Can't knock the Eagles for taking a financially responsible stance - we just have to hope we've spent wisely on O"Brien - his trial form tonight might answer that.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4