GODDEN STEPS DOWN AS STATE COACH

3 posters

Go down

GODDEN STEPS DOWN AS STATE COACH Empty GODDEN STEPS DOWN AS STATE COACH

Post by Mickyj Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:34 pm

Michael Godden has stepped down as West End State coach after three successful years at the helm of the SANFL’s representative team.

Godden, who guided the West End State team to consecutive victories from 2012 to 2014, will concentrate on his role as senior coach of Woodville-West Torrens in 2015.

While the SANFL wanted Godden to guide the West End State team against the WAFL in Perth next year, the 2011 premiership mentor will devote all of his energy to the Eagles’ campaign.

‘’It’s something I have put a lot of passion toward in the last three years and I have loved every second of it,’’ Godden said of his role as West End State coach.

‘’But at the end of the day, club football comes first and the end of last year (for the Eagles) wasn’t acceptable so I need to make sure my energy, 100 per cent, is focused on the Eagles in 2015.

‘’Unfortunately that means I can’t go on as the State coach which is very disappointing. But it is a necessity as we need to make sure we (Eagles) get back on track.’’

SANFL General Manager Football Adam Kelly paid tribute to Godden, who guided the league to wins against the WAFL (14 points), NEAFL (82 points) and VFL (22 points).

‘’The performances of the West End State team are very important to the SANFL,’’ Kelly said.

‘’And we have been extremely fortunate to have a coach in Michael Godden who has been dedicated to our success and to respecting the tradition and heritage of State football in South
Australia.

‘’Michael has enjoyed a wonderful working relationship with the team that has supported him and the players who have represented the SANFL over the past three years have responded
enthusiastically to the program which he has led.

‘’The SANFL thank Michael sincerely and the Woodville-West Torrens Football Club for allowing Michael to lead the charge over the past three years.’’

Kelly said the SANFL would begin searching for Godden’s replacement immediately, in preparation for next year’s clash with the Sandgropers on foreign soil.

‘’Next year’s State game against WA will be a real challenge in Perth considering they ran us close in 2012 in Adelaide and have defeated the VFL and NEAFL in the past two years,’’ Kelly said.

‘’We begin the search for our State coach driven to appoint someone who shares the SANFL’s desire for success in Perth next year.’’

Godden said the role of West End State coach was particularly rewarding, encouraging all coaches to consider the benefits gained from guiding the best players in the league.

‘’It was great to have exposure to players with different thoughts which you can learn from,’’ Godden said.

‘’And then obviously playing against a competition you know very little about in terms of the individuals.

‘’So you have to learn, very quickly, the game plan which makes it very good from an experience point of view.

‘’You get to see different styles and different players. What you have at club level is a security blanket around you of players who know exactly what you want, and you have faith in that.

‘’You don’t have that security blanket as State coach so it is a really good challenge to get the players to embrace you very quickly.’’
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

GODDEN STEPS DOWN AS STATE COACH Empty Re: GODDEN STEPS DOWN AS STATE COACH

Post by Dobber Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:16 am

About time - he admits putting his personal resume first was a distraction on past poor performing years for our club - no excuses in 2015!
Dobber
Dobber

Back to top Go down

Post by Mara32 Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:15 am

We came second in the minor round in 2013, and were 7-1 going into the 2014 state game... so it was hardly a distraction or affected the Eagles' performances.

He's got nothing left to prove at State level... he did a great job, did both our club and State proud, and I'm sure it was an experience he'll treasure almost as highly as the 2011 Premiership - particularly beating the Vics in Victoria.
Mara32
Mara32

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down