Go down

GODDEN TO COACH SANFL Empty GODDEN TO COACH SANFL

Post by Mickyj Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:42 pm

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2380/

SANFL News

18 Feb 2014

GODDEN TO COACH SANFL

By ZAC MILBANK | Twitter @zacmilbank

Woodville-West Torrens coach Michael Godden will guide the West End State Team into battle against the VFL on May 31 this year.

Set to coach the SANFL side for the third year in succession, the Eagles mentor is eager to harness the fierce spirit conjured whenever South Australia tackles Victoria.

‘’It’s always a privilege to have this job,’’ said Godden, who has earned wins against the WAFL and NEAFL in the past two seasons.

‘’The importance of representing your State won’t be lost on them (players). They will know that what they will be doing, whether they think it is of huge importance or a fantastic opportunity,
they will look back on it as a pretty special thing.

‘’Especially this year playing the Vics, that is the one you want to win.’’

With the match now confirmed for Port Melbourne Oval, Godden said he can begin planning to ensure the VFL loses its second match in succession.

‘’I have been to Port Melbourne a couple of times to watch VFL games and I am familiar with the surroundings,’’ said Godden.

‘’It is also where one of my (Eagles) players (Phil Raymond) played, at Port Melbourne, so if there are any tricks to the ground I might be able to find a few things out.

‘’They (VFL) are a very similar competition to us in that they have a lot of quality so the best 22 from each state is going to be as good as there is (outside of the AFL). They (VFL) will be very
disappointed with their loss in WA last year so that will add a little bit of spice to it.’’

Having Stephen Rowe continue as Chairman of Selectors will help Godden from a stability point of view, considering several key players are certain to be missing.

‘’We need to have a mixture of new and those who have been there before,’’ noted Godden.

‘’(James) Meiklejohn, (Craig) Parry, (Mat) Suckling, (Alex) Georgiou, (Joel) Tippett, (Ryan) Ferguson and (Brayden) O’Hara are all gone just to name a few.

‘’So it is going to be important that the guys who have represented their State get another opportunity if their form warrants selection. It will be forced upon us to have a very different-looking
side.’’
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down