Aerie
spell_check
Mickyj
8 posters

Go down

Eagles v North  Empty Eagles v North

Post by Mickyj Tue May 13, 2014 12:26 pm

At home this Saturday finally a Saturday again

I have tried to fix the title shouldn't do things on my phone !!
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Eagles v North  Empty Re: Eagles v North

Post by Mickyj Thu May 15, 2014 5:08 pm

League
F: McGregor, Wundke, Heinjus
HF: Poole, Ainger, A. Dunstan
C: Hall, Lewis, Goldsworthy
HB: Sumner, Jarrad, Batley
B: P. Raymond, von Bertouch, Giuffreda

R: Borholm, Allmond, Boyd
INT: Martyn, Kane, T. Fitzgerald, Powell, Lloyd
IN: Heinjus, Martyn

Reserves
F: Ventura, Huppatz, Roads
HF: Lodge, T. Whittlesea, M. Raymond
C: Blesing, Appleton, J. Sinor
HB: G. Ellis, Summerton, Muirhead
B: Osborne, Killian, Lane

R: Muller, Rowland, T. Schwarz
INT: Enright

Under-18
F: Manners, Bottin, Hall
HF: Wallent, Michalanney, Woods
C: J. Schwarz, Gaffney, Elfenbein
HB: Blumson, Dunstan, Smith
B: Holman, Taheny, Seccafien

R: Gameau, M. Schwarz, Minney
INT: Westbrook, Thunig, Turner
EMG: Hoyle, Muller
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sat May 17, 2014 10:28 pm

I've copied this from TalkingFooty, and will add more to it here:

Wow! Well, I guess I overestimated North a little...although I wasn't thinking that until the 2nd quarter, and then also during the third quarter when the familiar pattern of building a fairly sold lead, then starting to kick behinds (from 14.9 to 14.16), while North were kicking goals at the other end.

I'll bet Godden asked for a big last quarter while pointing to last weeks effort and he was duly paid back in gold with the highest last quarter score against North (10.3, was 9.8 in Round 21 1993). Plus also the Roosters started to miss goals themselves (from 11.6 to 11.14). Included was a comical miss from about 10 metres out.

Poole, particularly his first half was just stunning - he kick started the side when it needed a jumpstart, and finished that off with a 'can do no wrong goal' on half time.
von Bertouch is fast becoming the best full back in the competition, I noticed how good his anticipation is when leaving his man to take a mark.
First game Sinor did some nice things in the first half, his foot passing was nice, I guess the test will be when the game is a lot more tight in close.
McGregor as usual was like a piranha with that pressure. 1.4 was the negative, but it's all scoreboard pressure as far as I am concerned.
If our delivery is good, Ainger and Wundke will cause headaches for every other side each week. I thought Aingers work while not with the ball today was the best I've seen from him.
Having a look at the possession count for each player, I think that is a trademark Eagles performance, no one player a cut above the rest. Also why we don't win Magarey Medals.

To have any hope of beating Power Reserves, we need a full four quarter effort with all three of Wundke, Ainger and Grocke in the side. We only had Wundke last time. Not only that, it will need to be a near full strength side. Goldsworthy did not play today, Culley, as well as Grocke would be about as full strength as it can be, Rowntree aside.

It's also a shame that on both SANFL forums there is very little talk on any matches this year not involving the current top side...I expect to see tumbleweed animations to roll across the screens. You don't need to be a famous detective to work out why. If today is anything to go by, Port will kick 200 points next week.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Sat May 17, 2014 11:24 pm

Very good effort today. Didn't start well, but the 2nd and 4th quarters were sensational. 3rd quarter would have been a lot better had we not kicked so many behinds.

A real even contribution this season. The 2nd tier of players like Batley, Poole, Von Bertouch have all stepped up to be main contributors this year. It is all looking very promising at this stage and with the big win have caught South and Sturt on percentage which could prove important later in the season.

Does anyone know if Rowntree is tracking well to return later in the season?
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun May 18, 2014 8:07 am

Aerie wrote:

Does anyone know if Rowntree is tracking well to return later in the season?

Yes Aerie "GODS" told me at the south game they are expecting him back the last five games !!

Also our seconds will boast an impressive line up Martyns back already . Grocke comes back in the seconds the weekend of the state game ! And should be followed by Templeton and Culley !!

Look out the second half of the year other sides !!
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun May 18, 2014 8:34 am

I copied this from talking footy my net was playing up
North were very unimpressive yesterday except in the first and third terms !!
What happened to the start the eagles had against the bays I have no idea !!
Second term Eagles dominated and the third the Eagles fell back into the errors of the first term !!
While the third term is the premiership quarter the Eagles turned it on in the fourth !!
And opposition teams are finding out when you hold Wundke then Ainger bobs up!! And when both of those have a quiet patch Poole Dunstan and co bob up and kick goals . Let alone a half back flanker who sneaks down and kicks a goal in Bately !!

The Eagles had a percentage and position improving win  !! "Gods" still has some work to do with the boys IMHO!!
And what a season the young eagles are having Bately ,Poole, Von Bertouch are helping the Eagles find that winning form !!!

Last edited by Mickyj on Sun May 18, 2014 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zest Sun May 18, 2014 8:44 am

Fitzgerald's intensity in the reserves after being dropped was impressive putting a lot of pressure for the other rucks to preform he is leaps and bounds ahead of muller and huppets
zest
zest
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sun May 18, 2014 4:55 pm

? whether the much anticipated 3 pronged tall attack of Wunke,Ainger, Grocke will be put on hold a little longer. Despite our short backline holding up (Von Bertouch being the only back taller than 187cm), Grocke may need to take CHB especially when we play Power in a few week's time until Templeton and Culley return.

Besides all the sparkling performances and stats of most of the player's yesterday, I reckon Godden would have been very happy with Heinjus's first league game after missing all the footy trials and only one Seconds game. His stats don't look good but his leaping ability provided more competition to Craig than the strength of Bornholm - good to have 2 contrasting types. Pretty good effort by the Eagles since, with North winning the centre clearances, we had to start our attacks from half back.

Young Poole is a beauty! Looked like being only a servicable player last year but has stepped up and looks capable of becoming a top shelf SANFL midfielder. Keeps his feet, remarkably strong for a little bloke, tenaciously wins the ball from opponents and now, is managing to hurt opposition with good decision making and disposal.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sun May 18, 2014 9:24 pm

Premiers wrote:? whether the much anticipated 3 pronged tall attack of Wunke,Ainger, Grocke will be put on hold a little longer. Despite our short backline holding up (Von Bertouch being the only back taller than 187cm), Grocke may need to take CHB especially when we play Power in a few week's time until Templeton and Culley return..

I certainly don't disagree with this.  The beauty of having him play at CHB is that he can be switched forward if need be.

A query I've got which no one has mentioned - why Goldsworthy didn't play? Simplay a rest? Or a niggle of some sort?
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Mara32 Mon May 19, 2014 9:19 am

I heard Goldsy did an ankle at training... hope it's not too serious,
Mara32
Mara32

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle014 Mon May 19, 2014 10:41 am

Mara32 wrote:I heard Goldsy did an ankle at training... hope it's not too serious,
I was told broken bone in foot done couple of weeks ago!!
Eagle014
Eagle014

Back to top Go down

Post by Mara32 Mon May 19, 2014 11:29 am

Matthew Goldsworthy – Heel – Test (according to Eagles website)
Mara32
Mara32

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Mon May 19, 2014 9:08 pm

Assuming Templeton or Culley (hopefully both) will make a successful return, one of our two glaring weaknesses (lack of height of a second tall defender) will be fixed.
The second glaring weakness may not/or cannot be fixed - our lack of a ruckman who can give our midfielders first look at the ball on > 50% of the time. Admiration for Bornholm working his backside off to match the heavyweights but we are consistently losing the rucks at the centre bounces every week and it's only the ability of our midfielders reading the ball off opposing ruckman that's clearing the centre (can't keep doing that against Port, South) or else having to depend on our backs holding up to the opposition's quick centre break and then counterattacking from the full back-line and again, can't keep doing that.

With 6 wins 1 loss, easy to say, "What does it matter, we're winning anyway" but can we win a Premiership with present setup. ? whether any Darwin ruckman available to come down now (their off-season) besides Seb Guilhaus up there (who let us down before), or go headhunting through country footy. Must be some 199cm monster out there who would like a shot in a League premiership team!!!
Either that, or rely on Marc Borholm getting another half metre lift in his leap
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by landed Tue May 20, 2014 1:49 pm

Hard call on defenders concerning heights but we keep beating the opposition to the ball so give me speed and agility any day Batley off the half back along with Flash are doing great work as is Vonbertough so I think the problem isn't so much tall or small I think its more skill and decision making bringing us undone at times but they will get better. As for the mid field I think Borholm is doing a great job, if the midfielders would get to their spots we would win the clearances it has nothing to do with Borholm's height its got to do with the onballers desire for the ball, ruckmen can only do what they do they can't rove the ball as well as leap a good example was the port game when Borholm dominated the ruck with 40 odd hit outs but yet they won the clearances yes I agree a 200+cm ruckman would be great but what Borholm brings around the ground most other ruckmen find difficult to do he is strong, agile, clever and can win a game for us a:e sturt at unley I didn't think that his first half wasn't great on Saturday but the fact that he came out after half time and changed it up shows that he is learning and he will get better don't worry about finals we will be there and Borholm will be our premiership ruckman along with Heinjus. And just for the record it will take a team effort to win a flag not just a Powell or a Wundke or a Hall or a Borholm a TEAM effort
landed
landed

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Tue May 20, 2014 9:27 pm

About Borholm and agility, he did a great piece of play, where I think he contested a mark, then crumbed that contest and passed it off to a player inside 50 (3rd quarter I think).
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down