Cameron Ellis -Yoleman article from the paper

Go down

Cameron Ellis -Yoleman article from the paper Empty Cameron Ellis -Yoleman article from the paper

Post by Mickyj Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:41 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/cameron-bounces-back/story-fn525un5-1226191347620
Cameron Ellis-Yolmen thought his football career, let alone AFL dream, was over a little more than two years ago.

In September 2009, Ellis-Yolmen, now 18, ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee playing for Flinders Park in the SA Amateur Football League's under-16 Grand Final.

The joy of being part of a premiership side was quickly replaced with concern after learning the injury would sideline him for all of 2010.

But the Woodville-West Torrens midfielder has fought back.

Ellis-Yolmen, of Brooklyn Park, underwent a knee reconstruction and returned to the field for the Eagles' under-18s in Round 1 this year.

By mid-season he had been selected in the state under-18 squad and finished the year playing Reserves football.

Ellis-Yolmen, who has Aboriginal and Papua New Guinean heritage, is now on the radar of several AFL clubs ahead of the November 24 national draft, having been one of 13 South Australians invited to the recent national draft combine for top prospects.
"When I first did my knee I thought footy was over because a knee reconstruction is a pretty hard thing to come back from," he said.

"I'd always wanted to play AFL and get as far as I could ... so it was hard watching everyone play football and knowing for the first six months I couldn't go for kicks or run or anything.

"But I did everything I possibly could do to get my knee right and ready to go for this year.

"I tried not to think about the injury, I just wanted to take the risk (in coming back) and go for it.

"(AFL) clubs have asked me about it (the knee) but I haven't had any problems and feel pretty confident on it now.

"I was really surprised (to be invited to the combine) ... but hopefully I get drafted."

Ellis-Yolmen joined the Eagles as a 13-year-old after several seasons playing juniors for Modbury and Lockleys football clubs.

As he has climbed through the ranks at Woodville Oval, he has maintained a high level of fitness by competing in carnivals and doing patrols for West Beach Surf Lifesaving Club.

"It's been good because you have swimming and running, and it keeps me active during the summer," he said.

Ellis-Yolmen planned to watch the draft with family.

Not that he is trying to think about the day too much.

"This year's just been crazy. I just went into this year just hoping to play football," he said
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down