Rnd 19 Port Adelaide vs Eagles Saturday 7th August Alberton

+4
spell_check
Kaitlyn51
MightyEagles
Mickyj
8 posters

Go down

Rnd 19  Port Adelaide vs Eagles Saturday 7th August  Alberton Empty Rnd 19 Port Adelaide vs Eagles Saturday 7th August Alberton

Post by Mickyj Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:46 am

ok finally only next week !!!
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Rnd 19  Port Adelaide vs Eagles Saturday 7th August  Alberton Empty Re: Rnd 19 Port Adelaide vs Eagles Saturday 7th August Alberton

Post by MightyEagles Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:10 am

Triple header once again.

U18s 8.40 am
Reserves 11.25 am
League 2.10 pm
MightyEagles
MightyEagles

Back to top Go down

Rnd 19  Port Adelaide vs Eagles Saturday 7th August  Alberton Empty Re: Rnd 19 Port Adelaide vs Eagles Saturday 7th August Alberton

Post by Kaitlyn51 Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:07 pm

cant wait for footy this week Very Happy the bye sucks Crying or Very sad
Kaitlyn51
Kaitlyn51

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Interesting to see if Trent plays for us after his week in souths seconds .
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:00 pm

team
F: Goldsworthy, Miles, Treeby
HF: Day, Grocke, Welsh
C: Allmond, Lewis, Polec
HB: McKenzie, Hentschel, Jarrad
B: Smith, Greiger, Thompson
R: Parry, Cicolella, Powell
Int: Rowntree, Giuffreda, Z. Fitzgerald, Rimington
In: Hentschel, Goldsworthy, Rimington
Out: Bock, Knights
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:57 pm

Grieger was sensational today. Didn't give Cloke a sniff. Also saved a goal with a fantastic tackle. Parry had the most disposals I've seen from any ruckman for some time. Rimington and Cicolella were hard nuts and did their bit. Grockes' downfall it seems is that he's too hard for todays AFL basketball styling rules. Jarrad was a good rebounder with his long kicking dashes, and Welsh should have had six goals, not five weren't it not for a goal umpiring error.

Last edited by spell_check on Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by EaglesFan18 Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:06 pm

Todays games was good, good to be back at a propper football game for the first time in 3 weeks. Polac had a good games today aswell at the regulars such as grieger, cica and flash. I thought that Groke's Report was abit harsh, you cant really stop a bump while your in mid air
EaglesFan18
EaglesFan18

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:01 am

I haven't said much about the game Saturday.After watching almost 3 entire games I was "footyied "out.
Under 18's I watched from just before 1/4 time started off shakily and got better with each quarter.Reserves were never in it .
League game should have been the abc's game of the round .A close( perhaps due to umpiring )game Eagles first quarter was fantastic kicking into that breeze.Second term let them down .Third term with dubious umpiring Port had control took the lead and luckily for the Eagles the siren sounded.
Fourth quarter was all the Eagles .Fantastic footy Saturday attacking in numbers running with the ball.And of course handballing forward created so many attacking opportunities .
Ports pace does prove we lack enough pace but we also produced some fine moments from the likes of Polec and Smith .Forwad line was almost spot on with Welsh and Goldy .Poor old Welsh was trying to jump like Modra but he just couldn't do it .still a fantastic return from him.
Now Grocke's report I think (unless I am wrong) a certain umpire has umpired and reported him 3 times this year.And if he was reported for that bump after the mark why wasn't another Eagles footballer (who I wont name for fear he may get reported) who 30 seconds latter did the same thing on the wing near me to a Port tall ? makes u think .
Outstanding players Saturday
Parry
Rimmington (we have missed him the last few weeks)
Grocke
Welsh
Jarrad
Powell
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MightyEagles Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:15 am

U18s score

Eagles 10.12.72
Port 2.10.22
MightyEagles
MightyEagles

Back to top Go down

Post by EagleRock Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Does any one know why Treeby did not play?
EagleRock
EagleRock

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle014 Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:06 pm

EagleRock wrote:Does any one know why Treeby did not play?
I believe he did a calf at training Wednesday night.
Eagle014
Eagle014

Back to top Go down

Post by zest Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:38 pm

Wasn't a Surprise as he trained with the injured players on Friday night
zest
zest
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:52 pm

Eagle014 wrote:

what did you think of the game Eagle14 ?
not the umpires by the way Shocked
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:19 pm

Eagles kill off Pies late

Reece Homfray From: AdelaideNow August 07, 2010 8:05PM

WOODVILLE-West Torrens took everything Port Adelaide could throw at it yesterday then unleashed a five goal to one final term to win by 23 points.

Coach Michael Godden admitted he was ''nervous'' about how his team would respond to its 21-day break and against a side with its tail up after a big win.

For three quarters the Eagles were locked in an arm-wrestle but after trailing by four points at the final change, finished full of running.

''I was certainly very nervous, I didn't tell the boys that but I was very, very nervous,'' Godden said.

''I thought the first quarter was really good, working into the breeze and that's the groundwork, laying the foundation.

''It's about stamping your authority in terms of being aggressive at the contest. We knew we could have been rusty after a few weeks so it was all about contested footy if we could just wear away into the game, which we did, we'd be there at the end.''

Scott Welsh kicked his first five-goal haul of the season and his support-acts James Rimington and Matthew Goldsworthy - relishing his senior re-call - both kicked three.

At the other end it was youngster Brodie Smith and Ben Grieger who were outstanding - Grieger's stats not doing him justice in becoming one of the best defenders in the competition.

The Magpies were brave and had a few shining lights - Mark Dolling was superb off half back, Jarrod Young provided a hard edge through the midfield and Jordan Erskine and Tim Milera were dangerous around goal.

But coach Tony Bamford conceded his team ''ran out of legs'' and was punished for a poor third term.

''We were happy we were close enough at half time, and really put an emphasis on having a good start . . . but the third quarter was the quarter that really cost us,'' he said.

''Even though we out-scored them, the way we played wasn't the way we wanted to play. Over-possessing the football kicking with the wind and when you play the best teams, they make you pay.''

The Eagles' height worried Port's defence early with Welsh booting three goals in the first term and Adam Grocke featuring in the action.

But the Magpies responded with a fast, exciting brand of footy to stay in touch.

Luke Jarrad kicked a classy snap to open the second term but all the momentum was with the Magpies.

James Meiklejohn, Erskine and Steven Summerton goaled and they were suddenly in front.

The Eagles did their best to wrestle control of the match early in the third term with running goals to Jarrad and Goldsworthy, then Grieger saved a certain goal when he ran down Derick Wanganeen.

That only seemed to spark Port to go up a gear and when Milera got his second goal of the quarter, Port had its nose in front as it turned for home.

But the Eagles' class prevailed.

McKenzie and Scott Lewis lifted and goals to Welsh and Goldsworthy suddenly produced the biggest margin of the match.

''I thought he was fantastic Macca, played a bit on-ball in the first half and probably didn't have the impact I would have liked but I thought his second half was outstanding, at both ends of the ground and doing everything,'' Godden said.

The Eagles trained solidly over the break and Godden said time-trial tests indicated his players were ''well above'' and ''fitter'' than they were during pre-season, ahead of next weekend's monster clash with Glenelg.

EAGLES 4.3 7.6 10.8 15.12 (102)
PORT 3.5 7.5 11.6 12.7 (79)

BEST - Eagles: McKenzie, Rowntree, Smith, Grieger, Lewis, Welsh, Jarrad. Port: Dolling, Erskine, Young, Weetra, Gray, Milera, Lokan.

SCORERS - Eagles: Welsh 5.2, Rimington, Goldsworth 3.1, Grocke 2.2, Jarrad 2.0, Polec 0.3, Thompson, Powell 0.1, rushed 0.1. Port Adelaide: Tim Milera 3.1, Erskine 3.0, Gray, Summerton 1.1, Meiklejohn, Young, Slattery, Cloke 1.0, Clinch, Harder 0.1, rushed 0.2.

INJURIES - Port: Cloke (groin), Shannon (knee).

REPORT: Eagles: Adam Grocke for charging Isaac Weetra, by umpire Tony Dey, 15th minute, third quarter.

CROWD: 2847 at Alberton Oval
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle014 Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:41 pm

Mickyj wrote:
Eagle014 wrote:

what did you think of the game Eagle14 ?
not the umpires by the way Shocked
I'm pleased you don't wish to hear my opinion of the umpires, my throat is still sore & I've run out of Strepsils!!
I thought our fitness really showed in the last quarter. Most of the Port boys were running up & down on the spot.
The run from the backlines was terrific. Great to watch (for the time being) young Brodie Smith & Jared Polec.
What about Benny Grieger, nothing pretty, but great game, even if Cloke wasn't fully fit.
Best players for Eagles Nest Player will be very difficult, I have 10 at present, not sure which 5 will miss out.
Rima is a must, hopefully we can keep him fit. Celebrated his birthday (Friday) with 3 nice ones.
We have to be at our best for next Saturday against Glenelg. Hopefully we will have a full squad to choose from!!! Not sure about Treebs don't know how bad the calf injury was, perhaps we will learn more on Wednesday night.
Eagle014
Eagle014

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:33 pm

Eagles vs Port Adelaide Magpies - Saturday 7th August - Alberton Oval

Michael Godden – Senior Coach Report

After a long break it is always a concern whether as a coaching and fitness staff we have been able to prepare the players so they can perform to their optimum. I must congratulate everyone on the program over the last 3 weeks. The players themselves must also be congratulated on the way they presented themselves before this game.

The game started with us losing the toss and kicking into a strong breeze. This sometimes isn’t a bad thing because it seems to make you more switched on and work harder. We knew we needed to be clean early and not give the ball back to them easily, so this test was put to us in the first quarter and the group handled it well. As are most first halves in the SANFL, it was tightly contested so we were pleased to go to the main break with a 1 point lead.

At half time we talked about the hard work we had done and the numerous courageous efforts that had been performed for the team, only to be undone by some indecisiveness going forward and at times a poor skill level, we also spoke about the support around the ball carrier which needed to increase both with body and voice.

Pushing into the breeze again in the third was a real challenge, so to basically break even in that quarter was pleasing. Even though we were trailing at the break by 4 points we knew that with a solid and direct last quarter we had the ability to come home strongly, which we did and ran out winners by 23 points.

The players have finished games well this year so the belief going into last quarter’s should always be very high and this should put us in a good position over the next few weeks.

Any win at this time of year is fantastic, especially an away win, so with 3 of our last 4 games at home (where we have only lost 1 to Norwood) it is a very exciting time for the Club. We understand the enormous challenge we have ahead of us playing the two top sides back to back, but we wouldn’t want it any other way. If we are going to be a serious contender this year we need to be extremely competitive against these sides, the timing of these games is great because we can learn a lot about the opposition and ourselves from these encounters this close to Finals.

So all is set for an great game at home against Glenelg this weekend, I know the playing group are very keen to put on a great performance, and hopefully over the next two weeks both being home games we can get a huge and loud Eagles crowd to help these boys get over the line.

Craig Smith – Reserves Coach Report

There was a feeling of expectation around the Club leading into the game on Saturday against Port Adelaide. We knew that for both grades travelling to Alberton was going to provide a considerable challenge. Indeed, in the Reserves Port Adelaide were second on the ladder and playing good football.

The split round bye is a new experience to many of the players and we were uncertain how we would handle it. The mood in the rooms before the game was good but unfortunately it appeared that the Reserves boys had not handled the extended break well. We found ourselves up against a committed and hard running Port Adelaide team that dominated the first half and we were unable to match their pace and intensity. This resulted in us being 33 points down at half time.

During the half time break we talked about getting back to basic football and to be focused on the trademarks that we want to be known for. The response from the boys was pleasing and in the third quarter we outscored Port by 10 points. The last quarter saw Port take back some of the initiative and they eventually ran out 37 point winners.

There are two major areas that let us down on the weekend. Our skill execution under pressure was poor and our inability to maintain intensity throughout the contest also was not up to the required standard. If we are to compete with the better teams for the remainder of the year we will need to work hard to improve in these areas.

The most pleasing thing from the weekend was the performance of some individuals, particularly considering we did not play well collectively. We now have several players who are playing consistently good football and this provides positive pressure on the guys in the league side. The Club’s depth may prove to be an important factor toward the end of the season.

The Reserves boys look forward to going back to Woodville this week and to hopefully play trademark Eagles football for the full four quarters.

Terry Hutton – Under 18 Coach Report

Saturday morning - 8.30 - cold crisp morning – dew on the grass – slight NE wind – no rain – ball sliding along the ground made ball handling difficult and clean marking a problem initially. The first quarter was a hard tight contest with plenty of scrimmages occurring and neither side able to establish control. Port tended to flood back to block up our forwards. Both sides had opportunities in front of goals but failed to convert many of them. Sinor was in the midst of packs, bullocking his way forward and playing on at every opportunity. Sutcliffe as Ruck rover was at many of the contests. With speed and direct play he kept the ball moving. Growden hunted the ball, was always in control and kicked to advantage. Mansell made very few mistakes down back. His take of the ball was clean and kicks were to advantage. Brusnahan used voice to advantage in the back lines, running out the ball to our advantage.

The second quarter contest was very tight, Port wanting to get in and under then force their way out to players who had dropped of the contest and run forward of the play. Hard tackling and pressure on the ball carrier saw many turnovers that allowed the Eagles to stream forward. But goals were elusive. Our back line played very close and tight, not allowing Port many opportunities to shoot for goal. We gave away many frees because of our intensity of attack. Elfenbein used his speed and attack on the ball to repel Port many times. Broadbent played an intelligent game, sitting out and back of the play he was able to read balls kicked into space and drive kicks into the forward line. Appleton off the halfback flank played his most effective team game with accurate, instinctive handballs and longer driving kicks. He also kept tight check on his opponent. Clift attacked each contest strongly, picking up numerous touches and crashing in hard when tackling.

In the third the Eagles started to find space, link many plays together, run and carry to effect. They heeded the coach’s advice at half time to change the handball/kick ratio. In the first half there were almost as many handballs as kicks. In the conditions this led to balls slipping out of hands and many scrimmages happening. Less handballs and quick strong kicks into the forwards caught Port out and allowed the Eagles to get on top, Lane exerted his strength and reading of the ball to set up several positive plays. Summerton used speed to advantage to carry the ball straight down the corridor from CHB. Poole was rather quiet by his standards but managed to win the hard ball and move it forward to our advantage. Muller was a lone hand in the Ruck but battled on strongly to contest several marks and give the onballers first touch in the Ruck. Joyce with clever evasive skill read the play and rebounded well from the back line. Harding at HF or on the ball used his speed to advantage to constantly attack. His kicks were driven well into the forward line.

The fourth quarter saw the Eagles break the game apart. Hooper was a little rusty for his first game in ten months but showed dash and touch on the wing. Sumner chased from HF flank to well into the back line to put pressure on the Port player. A. Dunstan when at CHF showed composure and skill when contesting the ball. L. Dunstan on the flank continued to show maturity in the way he attacked the ball, evaded opposition and drove his neat left foot passes to advantage. Daly, Flavel and Batty drifted in and out of the game when given time on the field. The Eagles broke the game apart as they piled on goals.

An excellent team effort.

Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Match Report

Eagles 15.12 (102) defeated Port Magpies 12.7 (79)

Full Match Results

07/08/2010 Rnd 19
Eagles vs Port Adelaide

By Peter Argent

After tough and tense high-octane contest for three quarters, a powerful five-goal-to-one final term set up an important 23 point victory by the Eagles in this round 19 clash with the Port Adelaide Magpies.

Established in the final five and now playing for a vital top three spot, Woodville West Torrens were tested by the improving Magpies, but with the strength and experience of the senior players, got the job done at Alberton Oval.

The contest was tight at each break, with the Eagles having a slight four point advantage at quarter time, and this was reduced to the smallest margin at the main interval.

A late goal just before the three quarter time break had the home side in front at lemons, before the Eagles arrested back the control of the match in the last.

Recruited back to SANFL football this year from Lameroo, Ben Greiger was superb in defence, while captain Mark McKenzie used all his experience and skills.

Tri-AFL club footballer Scott Welsh was a potent target in attack kicking five goals, while the unheralded James Rimington (3.2) and in his return league game, Yorke Peninsula lad Matthew Goldsworthy finished with three.

All-Australia under 18 and South Australia’s Most Valuable Player at the nationals, Brodie Smith continued this great form in the Eagles guernsey. Craig Parry was important to the result in ruck, competing against two quality big men. Both wingman Luke Jarrad and Adam Grocke, who was surprisingly reported, kicked a pair of goals each.

“To run over the top of Port was a pleasing aspect for me,” coach Michael Godden said. “It is fair to say, because of the small men at the Magpies we don’t match up well with them.” “It was Ben’s best game for the Club, while Brodie (Smith) is special.” “He played on a dangerous forward in (Tim) Milera, but still gave us plenty of run and rebounds.

“Off half back and with the occasional run on the ball, McKenzie played a great leaders game.

“James (Rimington) came into the side after five weeks on the sidelines and was excellent, although he really should have kicked four.”

Leigh Treeby was the late withdrawal.

In the next round the Eagles have an important clash with the second placed Glenelg at Woodville Oval.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down