Eagles v Glenelg Sat August 19 Maughan Thiem Kia oval

+3
whybother
Headfan
Mickyj
7 posters

Go down

Eagles v Glenelg  Sat August 19 Maughan Thiem Kia oval  Empty Eagles v Glenelg Sat August 19 Maughan Thiem Kia oval

Post by Mickyj Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:55 pm

Seconds 11.30 am
League 2.10 pm 
Sunday August 20 under 18s 1.15 pm
Sunday August 20 under 16s 11.00 am 

I don’t know what to say hopefully a better 4 quarter performance this week
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Eagles v Glenelg  Sat August 19 Maughan Thiem Kia oval  Empty Re: Eagles v Glenelg Sat August 19 Maughan Thiem Kia oval

Post by Headfan Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:14 pm

Now we have Max Litster out 1-2 weeks - concussion. Rory Lehmann listed as Test. May have Josh Mawson back after concussion 2 weeks ago. Will Pearce calf and Jack Firns foot TBC. Stocks always a bit thin.
Just back to last Sunday, could have won by 15 points except for 2 posters and 3 kicks inside 50, straight but not reaching the line.
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Eagles v Glenelg  Sat August 19 Maughan Thiem Kia oval  Empty Re: Eagles v Glenelg Sat August 19 Maughan Thiem Kia oval

Post by whybother Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:50 pm

hopefully the weather will keep bad and limit the damage
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:27 pm

Woodville-West Torrens v Glenelg | Maughan Thiem Kia Oval | 2:10pm | SANFL Now | AFL Live App & AFL.com.au
EAGLES
League
F: Nicholls, Menzel, Pearce
HF: Beattie, Ballenden, Rowe
C: Goldsworthy, Sinor, Toumpas
HB: Rowland, Thompson, Cameron
B: Buck, Dawkins, Williams

R: Brinker-Ritchie, Beecken, D’Aloia
INT: Bruce, Lonergan, Herbert, Watson, Hoile, Lukac
IN: Bruce, Hoile, Lonergan, Pearce
OUT: Litster (concussion), Comitogianni (concussion)

Reserves
F: Hill, Sladojevic, Siney
HF: Weckert, Cooke, Mair
C: Dodd, Angove, Tilley
HB: Wollogorang, Williams, O’Reilly
B: Calvett, Ueding, Fairall

R: Phillips, Arthur, Neumann
INT: Norman, Toole, Hudson

Under-18
F: Capogreco, Luck, Elliott-Karpany
HF: Edwards, Pearce, Welsh
C: Hankins, Fairall, Charles
HB: Sauer, Andrews, Phillips
B: Bigg, Delmenico, McKay

R: Niemann, Toole, Schwarz
INT: Godlevsky, G. Hansen, Harris, Hewlett, Netschitowsky, Parisi, Piggott, Sumner, Tilbrook

Under-16
F: Mathie, Hughes, Moffatt
HF: Rawlings Hartley Brown, Russell Swansson
C: Young, F. Jamieson, Farrugia
HB: McGorman, Reschke, Ashby
B: Marshall Bates, Beracci, Lawry

R: Mumford, Willmott, Peucker
INT: Chalubek, Dohnt, Harris, Humphrys, Kovacic, Leys, Maddern, Scheuffele, Turner, Watson
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:31 pm

whybother wrote:hopefully the weather will keep bad and limit the damage
Whybother or Headfan did we talk about Holie last week he’s in the league this week
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Headfan Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:49 pm

Not me Mickyj. Lachie has appeared 7 times in the League team over the last 2-3 years with some quite good results. May not make the cut from the 6 man interchange. Would think Herbert, Watson, Lukac and Bruce (and Lonergan) would be chosen before him. Like our Premiership Half Back line!
Headfan
Headfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:05 pm

Headfan wrote:Not me Mickyj.  Lachie has appeared 7 times in the League team over the last 2-3 years with some quite good results. May not make the cut from the 6 man interchange. Would think Herbert, Watson, Lukac and Bruce (and Lonergan) would be chosen before him. Like our Premiership Half Back line!
Must’ve been whybother he was sitting closer to me .
Doesn’t matter I know someone was talking about him to me .
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:53 pm

Yes it was me...he seems to have the energy etc if not the polish. He is a youngster and the club seems/wants to persevere with youth.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:45 pm

whybother wrote:Yes it was me...he seems to have the energy etc if not the polish. He is a youngster and the club seems/wants to persevere with youth.

I reckon Hoile played one good league game in his first stint. Looks to have the speed, skills etc. I reckon he was quite timid at league level - except that one good game he played. Hopefully, if he gets a chance, he has a real crack at it.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelScott Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:15 pm

Mickyj wrote:
Headfan wrote:Not me Mickyj.  Lachie has appeared 7 times in the League team over the last 2-3 years with some quite good results. May not make the cut from the 6 man interchange. Would think Herbert, Watson, Lukac and Bruce (and Lonergan) would be chosen before him. Like our Premiership Half Back line!
Must’ve been whybother he was sitting closer to me .
Doesn’t matter I know someone was talking about him to me .

I'd play anyone in front of Bruce
MichaelScott

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:30 am

Ok one ruck in the league today
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:05 pm

The Reserves are hanging into the five from Norwood by about .1%. However, on paper, they have an "easier" game next week than Norwood.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:29 pm

whybother wrote:The Reserves are hanging into the five from Norwood by about .1%. However, on paper, they have an "easier" game next week than Norwood.
Headfan is missing you
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:46 pm

I chose to stay away today. And look what happened!!!!! Must be me.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:46 pm

And nice to be missed
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:13 pm

whybother wrote:I chose to stay away today. And look what happened!!!!! Must be me.
Eagles started to play well every trip I took to the men’s and when I bought a cuppa tea 
If you’d been there my shout
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:14 pm

Where has this eagles been all year
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazz Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:24 pm

Not champagne by any means but stuck at it longer.
Hope we can keep some of the older lads, Jesse Lonergan inparticular. There is a place for a dual premiership grunt midfielder in a developing team with a new coach! And he kicks more than handballs, sign him up. Interesting to see if some others that fell out of consideration hang about
Gazz
Gazz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:33 pm

From Zac Milbank 
Woodville-West Torrens ensured Glenelg must wait a week to snare the minor premiership with a spirited 22-point win at Maughan Thiem Kia Oval.
Displaying incredible efficiency with element of each in hitting the scoreboard, the Eagles showed plenty of promise for any prospective coach willing to fill the shoes of departing premiership mentor Jade Sheedy.
Despite conceding six goals in the second quarter, the hosts were able to regain the lead nine minutes into the third quarter despite registering 12 fewer inside 50 entries for the match.
Restricting the Tigers – who were without triple Ken Farmer Medallist Liam McBean and first choice ruck Cam McGree – to just two goals in the second half, the Eagles were led by impressive James Rowe with 33 disposals, six clearances, seven tackles and two goals.
Eagles captain Joseph Sinor collected 27 disposals while fellow midfielder Adam D’Aloia had 22 disposals and Jimmy Toumpas 21.
Damaging left-footer Will Pearce booted four goals for the Eagles and clever goalsneak Max Beattie kicked three while goal of the day came from Kade Herbert, who finished an eye-catching run on the grandstand wing with a fine finish from 40m.
The Bays’ patchy form will no doubt be assessed internally during the week as Corey Lyons was again the chief midfielder to lead his team’s charge with 31 disposals, 10 clearances and six marks.
Fellow Tigers Billy Stretch and Luke Partington had 23 and 22 disposals each while James Bell continued his encouraging form with 20 touches and seven clearances.
Bays forward Lachie Hosie has all but sealed the Ken Farmer Medal after he reached the 50-goal mark with a haul of five majors while nuggety forward Hugh Stagg kicked three goals in his first League appearance for the season.
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:41 am

It was asked yesterday of me I don’t know anyone know Herbert’s age ?
Ok been answered on Facebook by the club he is 17.
So Sheedy is playing the kids great selection
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:22 am

First score over 100 for the season! I only saw bits yesterday, but what I did see was a real commitment to bring the ball by foot back into the corridor to attack.

Is it personnel, or do coaches and people in general get more negative/conservative as they get into the tenure of coaching/life?

I remember when Godden first came to the club - he spruced letting the players off the chain and playing attacking football. What came of it was an early premiership. He then became one of the most defensive coaches in the league, along with Bassett and co, resulting in the low scoring slug fest that is the SANFL competition today. No more premierships and to be honest, a game/competition that has lost a lot of its appeal.

Sheedy also talked about attack when he first came. He shifted Von Bertouch from being a very reliable key back to up forward to create an attack that scored more than the opposition. Come this season, all he talks of is defence and up until yesterday, we can barely manage two goals in a quarter.

Hopefully a fresh coach with an attacking mindset. Then the challenge of keeping that attacking mindset if they stay for a period of time.

It's why it was so disappointing to lose last week against North after being the better team for the first half. Ifs, buts and all that - but chances are we would've made finals and a lot of that has to do with Sheedy announcing his retirement and the "nothing to lose" attitude as a result of that.

Yesterday's win is hugely important to the players who were out there and the people who are choosing the next coach, to see that it is very much attitude and application of an attacking mindset and method that wins football games. Defence is a must, but can be looked at as attacking the contest and winning it. Structure up to win the ball back and kick goals on the rebound.

A great win at home and those couple of goals by Herbert in the last quarter were straight off the top shelf. Watching on the TV, you could hear the shout of "Go Herby" from an Eagles supporter in the crowd as Ballenden let loose a long kick from half back out in front of the young number 17, setting him an enormous task, with two Glenelg defenders on his back. Not only did he have the pace and skill to collect the ball, evade the defenders and run into 50, but he had the poise to straighten up and kick the goal on the run. Then the tackle, holding the ball and dob from 45 to ice the game a bit later. Great stuff!
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:10 pm

Aerie wrote:First score over 100 for the season! I only saw bits yesterday, but what I did see was a real commitment to bring the ball by foot back into the corridor to attack.

Is it personnel, or do coaches and people in general get more negative/conservative as they get into the tenure of coaching/life?

I remember when Godden first came to the club - he spruced letting the players off the chain and playing attacking football. What came of it was an early premiership. He then became one of the most defensive coaches in the league, along with Bassett and co, resulting in the low scoring slug fest that is the SANFL competition today. No more premierships and to be honest, a game/competition that has lost a lot of its appeal.

Sheedy also talked about attack when he first came. He shifted Von Bertouch from being a very reliable key back to up forward to create an attack that scored more than the opposition. Come this season, all he talks of is defence and up until yesterday, we can barely manage two goals in a quarter.

Hopefully a fresh coach with an attacking mindset. Then the challenge of keeping that attacking mindset if they stay for a period of time.

It's why it was so disappointing to lose last week against North after being the better team for the first half. Ifs, buts and all that - but chances are we would've made finals and a lot of that has to do with Sheedy announcing his retirement and the "nothing to lose" attitude as a result of that.

Yesterday's win is hugely important to the players who were out there and the people who are choosing the next coach, to see that it is very much attitude and application of an attacking mindset and method that wins football games. Defence is a must, but can be looked at as attacking the contest and winning it. Structure up to win the ball back and kick goals on the rebound.

A great win at home and those couple of goals by Herbert in the last quarter were straight off the top shelf.  Watching on the TV, you could hear the shout of "Go Herby" from an Eagles supporter in the crowd as Ballenden let loose a long kick from half back out in front of the young number 17, setting him an enormous task, with two Glenelg defenders on his back. Not only did he have the pace and skill to collect the ball, evade the defenders and run into 50, but he had the poise to straighten up and kick the goal on the run. Then the tackle, holding the ball and dob from 45 to ice the game a bit later. Great stuff!

Great post Aerie .
Let’s look back at Godden you are correct about defence defence defence . Then he went to I believe AFL coaching clinics . It appeared in the early rounds of years Godden would have a new game plan and woohoo we’d confuse the other sides win games get to the GF fall in a big hole .

I missed much of last year due to I hate saying it tumour cancer and hospital stays . This year I’ve been to 5 games next week fingers crossed I will make game 6 . And whybother and Headfan have been great to me back at the oval along with others not on here . 
Now I will admit I’ve sat there moaning at too much handball. However when you watch the seconds with under 18s I think the handball run game is the style coming through . I could be wrong but a couple of those goals when we kicked over 100 came from the run style .
Sheedy with the bring up the kids is under way . Herbert is 17 not sure about Bucks ( I think one of his fan girls brought number 49 jumper signed I walked passed her mum showing it Smile )  age and Dawkins or Watson ages .

New coach I’ve heard nothing about whose applying except a large number have applied some shouldn’t have !
Our seconds coach got told yesterday Matt Knight played in the 90s I don’t remember him I’m afraid 

Guess we will find out who the new coach is eventually
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:22 pm

Mickyj wrote:
Aerie wrote:First score over 100 for the season! I only saw bits yesterday, but what I did see was a real commitment to bring the ball by foot back into the corridor to attack.

A great win at home and those couple of goals by Herbert in the last quarter were straight off the top shelf.  Watching on the TV, you could hear the shout of "Go Herby" from an Eagles supporter in the crowd as Ballenden let loose a long kick from half back out in front of the young number 17, setting him an enormous task, with two Glenelg defenders on his back. Not only did he have the pace and skill to collect the ball, evade the defenders and run into 50, but he had the poise to straighten up and kick the goal on the run. Then the tackle, holding the ball and dob from 45 to ice the game a bit later. Great stuff!

Great post Aerie .
Let’s look back at Godden you are correct about defence defence defence . Then he went to I believe AFL coaching clinics . It appeared in the early rounds of years Godden would have a new game plan and woohoo we’d confuse the other sides win games get to the GF fall in a big hole .

I missed much of last year due to I hate saying it tumour cancer and hospital stays . This year I’ve been to 5 games next week fingers crossed I will make game 6 . And whybother and Headfan have been great to me back at the oval along with others not on here . 
Now I will admit I’ve sat there moaning at too much handball. However when you watch the seconds with under 18s I think the handball run game is the style coming through . I could be wrong but a couple of those goals when we kicked over 100 came from the run style .
Sheedy with the bring up the kids is under way . Herbert is 17 not sure about Bucks ( I think one of his fan girls brought number 49 jumper signed I walked passed her mum showing it Smile )  age and Dawkins or Watson ages .

New coach I’ve heard nothing about whose applying except a large number have applied some shouldn’t have !
Our seconds coach got told yesterday Matt Knight played in the 90s I don’t remember him I’m afraid 

Matt Knight was probably only born in the mid 90's, don't think that he is 30 yet.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickyj Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:30 pm

Columbo wrote:
Mickyj wrote:

Great post Aerie .

Matt Knight was probably only born in the mid 90's, don't think that he is 30 yet.
So my source was way off no wonder never heard of him thanks Columbo
Mickyj
Mickyj
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:45 pm

Mickyj wrote:
Columbo wrote:
Mickyj wrote:

Great post Aerie .

So my source was way off no wonder never heard of him thanks Columbo

From memory we did have a Matthew Knight that may have played in the late 90's early 2000's, but not the one that is coaching the 2's
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down