Aerie
Mickyj
Goddsy11
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Eagles v Adelaide Crows  - Page 2 Empty Re: Eagles v Adelaide Crows

Post by Gregod Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:17 pm

Interesting that Allmond hasn't played for a few weeks and now gets into the squad straight away.
Could this be his farewell game!!!
Gregod
Gregod
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:03 pm

What a disgrace the condition of the oval is. Need to do something about it for the future. Get rid of the cricket? Less junior footy on it?
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazz Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:21 pm

Ok, now it's down to the old mathematically possible. I saw sod all to be enthused about today and if we scrape in we'll be scraped out Iike the excrement we are producing. Hope they prove me wrong go Eags
Gazz
Gazz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:15 pm

Realistically we had to be a few goals up at least going into quarter time to be a chance. The moment we were a few goals behind there was no way we were going to claw back the lead because we don't have the cattle. Realistically we are the second worst team in the competition at the moment and may only marginally beat Westies.

Disappointed not to be there in the finals but in some respects excited about a likely revamped and refreshed outfit for next year that will be shaped by retirements, player departures (the AFL dream over, players 'going home', opportunities at other clubs, etc) and some brave calls by Sheedy about player culling because certain players simply are not up to the skill level required for league footy.

Amongst these reasons above I could see a third of the squad being turned over next season. Amongst this group could/should be Redden, Thompson, Lonergan, Comma, Guilhaus, Buck, Bruce, Allmond, Menzel, McFarlane, Clarke and Much.

If the above eventuates we should have quite a few $$ freed up to go and land a couple of decent recruits. It is absolutely imperative that we keep hold of Ballenden. As good as he was for us this year I still feel we didn't see the best of him for a number of reasons.

I really hope Ellis-Yolman stays interested to play with us next year and commits to dropping several kgs and getting fit over summer. He'd be a huge plus if this occurs.

Positives of this year? Not too many. Obviously Menzel's form given our putrid delivery, Knight has been sensational all year, Goldy has got back up to playing the high standard of footy we know he is capable of in the second half of the season after a slow comeback from injury. Firns has had to shoulder so much responsibilty and battled manfully, I think Hardie has gone up a level and been quite useful, Pierce is probably the pick of the young debutants in terms of promise - just needs consistency in his game.

Roll on season 2023!!
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Titan2 Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:48 pm

Interesting to read in The Advertiser today that Patrick Weckert was apparently offered the opportunity to play League footy with the Eagles on the weekend but turned it down to instead play school footy for his College (PAC) to help them make the Messenger Shield Final

Seems like a very strange decision on his part even if it was an important game.

That aside, you'd imagine he would likely be given the same opportunity this week.

I saw him in the reserves two weeks ago and he looked really good as a key forward. Seems to have height, athleticism, can take a big mark and kicks well. Does anyone know whether he is eligible for the AFL draft at the end of the year or is he a 'bottom ager'? I don't think I've heard his name mentioned once as a prospect to be taken. He looks highly promising.
Titan2
Titan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddsy11 Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:15 pm

Titan2 wrote:Interesting to read in The Advertiser today that Patrick Weckert was apparently offered the opportunity to play League footy with the Eagles on the weekend but turned it down to instead play school footy for his College (PAC) to help them make the Messenger Shield Final

Seems like a very strange decision on his part even if it was an important game.

That aside, you'd imagine he would likely be given the same opportunity this week.

I saw him in the reserves two weeks ago and he looked really good as a key forward. Seems to have height, athleticism, can take a big mark and kicks well. Does anyone know whether he is eligible for the AFL draft at the end of the year or is he a 'bottom ager'? I don't think I've heard his name mentioned once as a prospect to be taken. He looks highly promising.

SANFL have him as 23/1/2005 so he is with us next year.
Goddsy11
Goddsy11

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:03 am

goddy11 wrote:
Titan2 wrote:Interesting to read in The Advertiser today that Patrick Weckert was apparently offered the opportunity to play League footy with the Eagles on the weekend but turned it down to instead play school footy for his College (PAC) to help them make the Messenger Shield Final

SANFL have him  as 23/1/2005 so he is with us next year.

These colleges seem to have a magical hold over their sporting stars. I believe Weckert finishes his year 12 this year, so he won't be burdened with school football next year.

I think that coach Sheedy will again look at assembling a group of talented youngsters like he did at the start of 2020 (Lachy Jones, Jacob Wehr, Lachy McNeil and Ryhan Mansell) to try and re-energise the group. This group could include Patrick Weckert, Blake Hansen, Will Pearce, Tyler Welsh and others. Unfortunately we'll lose Phillipou, D'Aloia and Nathan Barkla to the draft. I'm sure Sheedy will go full bore to re-establish the Eagles as a force. Trust in Sheedy.

Last edited by wimpy on Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:02 am

There’d have to be a strong chance that some ex-Eagles are delisted at the end of the season too. Rowe, Wehr, Poulter and Port’s Frederick are all out of contract.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:30 pm

Aerie wrote:There’d have to be a strong chance that some ex-Eagles are delisted at the end of the season too. Rowe, Wehr, Poulter and Port’s Frederick are all out of contract.

Yes "Aerie" On the weekend we were going through ex-Eagle AFL players that might be a chance to be delisted.
Henry Smith at the "Lions" was another mentioned but we did not know his status. Wehr has had a good run the second half of the season and maybe the new coach will like to have a good look at him so he might be retained.
If the Crows get Rankine and retain Newchurch. Rowey might have just too many in front of him to be retained. I'm sure coach Sheedy will be searching far and wide for players. We just need to get a settled team, but now a days this seems highly unlikely.
wimpy
wimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazz Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:10 pm

Spot on Wimpy. The last 2 seasons we have been unsettled by player turnover but have mostly had the best of them available. This year has been a bit of a double whammy with the player loss catching up and not always having the best of the rest available. Shrewd recruiting now more than ever will see us (and other clubs) challenging again. Back to backs or even better runs are going to be much more difficult with the AFL drafting whenever they feel like it. Should be one draft only
Gazz
Gazz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2